• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rösti;35911716 said:
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I've seen no mention of it. Anyway, has Nintendo said anything about using the Wii U remote as a television receiver?

At around 41:34 in the video of Nintendo's E3 2011 media briefing, there's a sequence of a guy entering a room where another guy is playing New Super Mario Bros. Mii (looks like it anyway). And it's apparently time to watch some baseball, so the gamer dude has to succumb to playing on the small screen while the other guy can watch baseball on the bigger screen. Now, I can see some annoyance, at least in some households, building up if this will become a repeated pattern and New Super Mario Bros. Mii or whatever game has to resort to the Wii U remote every time there's some good tv program. Thus, it would be a nice feature if you could perhaps take turns - one day the game is on the big screen and the TV program is on the Wii U remote screen, next day it's vice versa.

How the Wii U manages to stream content from a big screen to the controller screen I don't know, nor have I any insight in what standard procedures it uses. Though I would assume it works similar to that of a TV tuner card, so technically speaking it shouldn't be impossible to utilize the Wii U remote as a TV receiver, questions arising are then related to copyright and EULAs. Anyone knows if this is semi-accurate or if I'm talking baloney?

Here's the video: http://media.nintendo.com/e3/_ui/vid...e_English2.mp4
seems like one of those things that's a bit too far out of nintendo's scope

It would be such a huge headache to program all the IR and Radio wavelengths for every single TV brand and model.

They could make it like universal TV remotes where each user sets the Wii Upad to stream in conjunction with their particular TV model.

I find this unlikely to happen, though.

That reminds me of this classic:

nintendo-stream-0.jpg

Oh man the memories, all the stupid names, all the mock ups, the questioning of why nintendo would do this and how they've lost their minds, and the constant reposting of this image. Good times.
I wonder if what kind of leaks we'll get before e3 for stuff, not just Wii u but hopefully something about that too.

If you feel like there are ideas from fans out there that would change my mind with how brilliant they are, I'd honestly like to read them.

It seems that you are content with Nintendo's current design philosophy, and that's fine I suppose, but to say that you don't think a fan could design above Nintendo's level, it comes off as extremely close minded. Nintendo is made up of people just like you and me. They are not gods.

If you really are interested. I have studied the design on Zelda games for several years. I know what I like, and what I don't. I feel that I have a decent insight on what works well in Zelda, and I've spoken on the subject pretty frequently around here. I have not compiled my thoughts in an essay or whatnot, but I probably will sometime in the near future.

Oh man the memories, all the stupid names, all the mock ups, the questioning of why nintendo would do this and how they've lost their minds, and the constant reposting of this image. Good times.
I wonder if what kind of leaks we'll get before e3 for stuff, not just Wii u but hopefully something about that too.
hopefully 01net opens the bomb doors again

Aguila

#ICONIC
Rösti;35911716 said:
Aguila, that's common practice, and exists for Wii as well. For trademark Wii with Serial Number 78980447:

G & S: Communication services, namely, electronic transmission of data and documents among users of computers; electronic mail services; providing online communication and electronic bulletin boards for transmission of messages among users in the field of general interest; providing online communication services for transmission of messages among computer users; providing wireless access to computer networks and Internet; streaming of audio and video material on the Internet; text and numeric wireless digital messaging services; web messaging services; wireless broadband communication services; wireless digital messaging services; wireless electronic transmission of data, images and information. FIRST USE: 20061119. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20061119

This is the one I was reading:

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Telecommunications, namely, providing online electronic bulletin boards for transmission of messages among computer users in the field of video games; providing information about providing online electronic bulletin boards for transmission of messages among computer users in the field of video games; transmission of information through electronic communications networks by consumer video game machines; providing information about telecommunication via consumer video game machines; transmission of information through electronic communications networks by hand-held game machines with liquid crystal displays; providing information about telecommunication via hand-held game machines with liquid crystal displays; communication via personal computers by electronic communications networks; providing information about telecommunication via personal computers by electronic communications networks; communication via television telephones; providing information about telecommunication via television telephones; computer-aided transmission of messages and images; providing on-line chat rooms for transmission of messages among users in the field of video games; communication services, namely, electronic transmission of data, images, videos, and documents; providing online chat rooms and electronic bulletin boards for transmission of messages among users in the field of general interest; providing online forums for transmission of messages among computer users; providing wireless broadband communication services for use with video game computer networks and the Internet; streaming of audio and video material on the Internet; wireless electronic transmission of voice signals, data, images and information; information and data transmission via electronic communications networks

Maybe they'll integrate NeoGAF with the Wii U's messaging system XD

But I seriously don't know how to interpret these things so I'll just treat them as basic trademarking policies or what have you.

I think people missed this so i'll ask again.

guys, what 3rd party games do you want to see the most on the Wii U? Mine's personally Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed. and one of them is already confirmed :)

I'd love somebody to remake Elite. The best game ever made imo. Online play would be seven kinds of awesome as long as a publisher isn't tempted to make it an MMO with subscription fees. Not going to happen though unfortunately. :eek:(

Hate to think how many hours I spent playing that on my 48K Speccy in the 80s!!! :Oo

They could make it like universal TV remotes where each user sets the Wii Upad to stream in conjunction with their particular TV model.

I find this unlikely to happen, though.

I've been hoping for universal remote functionality since they first revealed the controller.
with a touch screen TV Guide app where you could look for shows on the remote without clogging up the TV with the TVGuide, and then switch the channel only whey you have found what you are looking for.

I want a Captain Falcon beat em' up/HnS (ala God Hand) developed by Mikami or Kamiya.

FALCON PUNCH!!!!!!!

Seriously a non-racing Captain Falcon game would be great.

I trust BlacknMild2k1 to post what he believes to be true. He's always been a straightforward guy, and doesn't seem to pull rumors out of his ass.

He's been part of these threads since the initial Project Cafe leaks started last year, and was the guy who was compiling really great rundowns of all the rumors.

If he says something like this, he believes it to be correct - whether his source is good or not, or whether Nintendo changes things around before release is a different story.

I've still got that rumor compilation going.

All the way from Sept. 2010 updated till the UE4 rumor of last night.
still have to add that DK3D rumor from this morning though.

Why won't Nintendo just go back to the 2D Top-down Zelda? It was the peak of the series.

pssshtt, Ocarina of time was the peak. Just make the same thing but muchmuch more and it would be instant 10/10s.

hmm mature zelda....Idk if that would be equal or worse than mature mario.

2D Zeldas are overrated.

Eh. Link to the Past is still the Greatest masterpiece Nintendo has ever done. Give me another 2D Zelda.

Except Link's Awakening. AKA, best Zelda ever.

THIS IS WHY ZELDA WILL NEVER REACH QUALITY CONSENSUS AGAIN

I want a Captain Falcon beat em' up/HnS (ala God Hand) developed by Mikami or Kamiya.

FALCON PUNCH!!!!!!!

Seriously a non-racing Captain Falcon game would be great.

I like this very much. I know a lot of people are clamoring for a new F-Zero (would be awesome) and the idea of a combo Beat 'Em Up/Racing game would make those people puke, I would like some sort of Third-Person Action game featuring the good ol' Captain. He is the Nintendo character that would best fit in a game like that and more people know him because of his ass-kicking abilities in the Smash games.

It seems that you are content with Nintendo's current design philosophy, and that's fine I suppose, but to say that you don't think a fan could design above Nintendo's level, it comes off as extremely close minded. Nintendo is made up of people just like you and me. They are not gods.

If you really are interested. I have studied the design on Zelda games for several years. I know what I like, and what I don't. I feel that I have a decent insight on what works well in Zelda, and I've spoken on the subject pretty frequently around here. I have not compiled my thoughts in an essay or whatnot, but I probably will sometime in the near future.

I know they're not gods, but they're damn good at what they do. The competition to reach that level in one's career is insane.

And yeah, feel free to PM me your ideas. I'm interested to see what you've come up with. I'll be nice, I promise :p

heya, long time consider...er of nintendo platforms , and i've been thinking of getting a wii (u depending on when it comes out)

quick question regarding the controller, one thing that really put me off is the motion wiggle things - is it mandatory to play with it for every game, specifically, DonkeyKong returns, Super mario titles, Muramasa, all the 2d/3d platformers and such.

i'd really love to play them, but i HATE using that wii controller. is there any other alternative?

heya, long time consider...er of nintendo platforms , and i've been thinking of getting a wii (u depending on when it comes out)

quick question regarding the controller, one thing that really put me off is the motion wiggle things - is it mandatory to play with it for every game, specifically, DonkeyKong returns, Super mario titles, Muramasa, all the 2d/3d platformers and such.

i'd really love to play them, but i HATE using that wii controller. is there any other alternative?

Muramasa was classic controller, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom