• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
heya, long time consider...er of nintendo platforms , and i've been thinking of getting a wii (u depending on when it comes out)

quick question regarding the controller, one thing that really put me off is the motion wiggle things - is it mandatory to play with it for every game, specifically, DonkeyKong returns, Super mario titles, Muramasa, all the 2d/3d platformers and such.

i'd really love to play them, but i HATE using that wii controller. is there any other alternative?

I played Xenoblade and Goldeneye with the CC, never looked back

It's more of a Cave.

Hmmmm...

q7HIe.jpg

I could never play Goldeneye with the Classic Controller.

I got the gold one with the game but the Remote, when the settings are tweaked, is way better..............for me at least.

If Retro is working on a DK game for 3DS, how disappointed will this thread be?

Personally I'm loving handheld gaming right now and would love to see DKC ( along Rhythm Heaven, Warioware, advance wars) on 3ds right now and it's not like Retro is never gonna make something for Wii U. Really for Wii U i want to see things like Wave Race,F zero, Star Fox, Pikmin 3 Pikmin 3 Pikmin 3 right now more than a Retro game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd feel pretty bad for the people at Retro, as it surely wouldn't have been their choice.

Oh please. You have no clue what they would or would not want to do.

But we know they're hiring for Wii U development and they said it isn't a new Donkey Kong game (or at least not DKCR2)

They really didn't say that.

I think they said a long ways ago there were no plans for a sequel.

I'd say it's 50/50 it's a follow-up to that game, leaning towards it being something different.

lednerg

I don't know, I have a feeling they'd be excited about the 3D aspect.

If the DK3D rumor and what we've heard about people leaving Retro lately are both true, then I think it's obvious they would have rather done an original IP.

To be clear, I'm just theorizing about rumors here. I really don't know shit.

EDIT:
Oh please. You have no clue what they would or would not want to do.
Yup.

If the DK3D rumor and what we've heard about people leaving Retro lately are both true, then I think it's obvious they would have rather done an original IP.

Yeah, I know you're just guessing but either way, I doubt they'll get to do a brand new IP anyway.

Unless you mean an IP just different than Donkey Kong.

EDIT:

Yup.

Wait... where have we heard that people are leaving retro?

clemenx

Banned
With how good DK sold I wouldn't mind another game for it. I want something big but not necessarily in the DKC line. I can't help but think that DK needs a big console game that makes it a staple.

Unlike other Nintendo franchises I think the best DK game is still on SNES. I know this can be said about most of the other franchises but in DK's case it isn't much of a debate.

Basically I want DK Galaxy.

lednerg

Yeah, I know you're just guessing but either way, I doubt they'll get to do a brand new IP anyway.

Unless you mean an IP just different than Donkey Kong.

If Nintendo's being serious about getting the hardcore, 'mature' game fans on board, then one great move would be to have a guaranteed AAA exclusive M-rated title from a 2nd party. Last time they tried this they got Eternal Darkness, which was a great title, but not AAA in many people's eyes. The Lovecraft theme didn't attract a huge market, either. But if you had Retro do one, then holy shit.

If Nintendo's being serious about getting the hardcore, 'mature' game fans on board, then one great move would be to have a guaranteed AAA exclusive M-rated title from a 2nd party. Last time they tried this they got Eternal Darkness, which was a great title, but not AAA in many people's eyes. The Lovecraft theme didn't attract a huge market, either. But if you had Retro do one, then holy shit.

Retro is first party though and Nintendo works closely with them, I doubt they'd make an M-rated game but I understand what you are saying.

HylianTom

Banned

I adore Eternal Darkness. It's near the top of my "Games to Play Before This Generation Is Over" List.

Proposal:
- release an HD remake of the original Eternal Darkness
- make it a free pre-order bonus for Eternal Darkness 2
- advertise the hell out of it.. right in time for Halloween 2013

I adore Eternal Darkness. It's near the top of my "Games to Play Before This Generation Is Over" List.

Proposal:
- release an HD remake of the original Eternal Darkness
- make it a free pre-order bonus for Eternal Darkness 2
- advertise the hell out of it.. right in time for Halloween 2013

I personally thought Eternal Darkness was brilliant in concept and executed well but kind of clunky.

I'd rather have a new one in that vein than a remake unless by remake, you mean everything gets cleaned up including the gameplay.

I found it overrated in this sense but if it was cleaner in those areas, it would be close to worth all the hype it gets.

My proposal for the next thread:

Wii U Speculation Thread 3: Not sure if 5x more powerful than speculation thread 2, or just 20%

Naturally, there will be an accompanying picture of Fry in the OP.

HylianTom

Banned
I personally thought Eternal Darkness was brilliant in concept and executed well but kind of clunky.

I'd rather have a new one in that vein than a remake unless by remake, you mean everything gets cleaned up including the gameplay.

I found it overrated in this sense but if it was cleaner in those areas, it would be close to worth all the hype it gets.

Truthfully, I'd love a full remake, including smoother controls and refined insanity effects. But I'd accept such a proposal either way.

I'm imagining the marketing and reaction that Nintendo would get from making such a thing. And then the outcry from the "family friendly" organizations whining about how a "formerly family friendly" company is now peddling smut..

lednerg

Retro is first party though and Nintendo works closely with them, I doubt they'd make an M-rated game but I understand what you are saying.

Shit, you're right.

The market is what it is: CoD and Halo and their ilk are top of the game. So using Retro for an M-rated title would be a great move. It would nip that kiddie notion right in the bud, as well. Don't get me wrong, most M-rated titles bore me, as they typically trade challenge and originality for gore and "fuck". But while I'm not exactly begging for them to go that route, I can't ignore how smart it would be.

But... it's Nintendo.

Shit, you're right.

The market is what it is: CoD and Halo and their ilk are top of the game. So using Retro for an M-rated title would be a great move. It would nip that kiddie notion right in the bud, as well. Don't get me wrong, most M-rated titles bore me, as they typically trade challenge and originality for gore and "fuck". But while I'm not exactly begging for them to go that route, I can't ignore how smart it would be.

But... it's Nintendo.

I think just an edgy(in a classy way) title from Retro would do wonders for the lineup.

The Primes were like that but something new.

fernoca

Eternal Darkness could be really nice on Wii; specially because they can use new ways to trick players with the touch-screen, gyros, and the camera. Like your own image appearing in the game covered in blood (or something) as one of the "sanity effects".

And use Spotpass to update the game randomly/online with new "sanity effects"; so that there's something new to trick people.

Eternal Darkness could be really nice on Wii; specially because they can use new ways to trick players with the touch-screen, gyros, and the camera. Like your own image appearing in the game covered in blood (or something) as one of the "sanity effects".

Not if the insanity effects REALLY make you want to throw the controller this time.

~saves bunch of unused Remote straps for the U-Pad~

HylianTom

Banned
I could imagine a sanity effect where the uPad appears to be broken, and people would be upset at the idea of spending $75 on a replacement.

File under "hysterical."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom