• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU Update V5.0.0 out now. Quick Start Function.

'Wii U update version 5.0.0 out now, adds quick start menu and more.'

What's the more?!

-Receive notifications from Nintendo on the GamePad (even while off). Will display on the Pad screen and produce a sound.
-System updates that download while in standby will now also install.
-Selecting your Mii on the main screen will load to the the user settings menu.
-Updated design layout to the user settings menu.
-Switching users takes place on the user settings menu.
-Added 'Quick Start' menu to Power Settings.
-Settings for the aforementioned GamePad notifications
-Added Notifications List to the GamePad home button menu.
-General system stability.

EDIT: Too slow. Off to the gallows for me

Somnid

Gamepad Alerts and Wii U Notifications are apparently different things. Weird. I await the hyperbolic thread about it.

plank

This... we've known for over a month that the firmware update would be this month, I just don't think anyone was expecting it at the start of the month.

Especially since we've known it would be out in June for a while.
Still, nice that it was June 2 and not June 30.

Really? You were expecting an entire year between feature-adding firmware updates?

I was referring to that summer update that came during the full last year.

daydream

Banned
Someone chuck in their NA copy of No More Heroes into their EU WiiU and see what happens...

:-(

zlmlIYp.gif

Cbajd5

Hmm, if they're installing System Updates while in standby now it better mean they have some damn good protection for if it loses power during the process.

I'll install it tomorrow, since it should download overnight.

TunaLover

I think the next update should enable 100% navigation though other controllers: Wimote, Wii U CC Pro. Having to exchange controllers to make a quick switch in settings, Miiverse, Youtube, or Internet Browser is kinda uncomfortable.

I was just playing Mario Kart and saw nothing about an update, so it either already installed or I missed it by minutes.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I remember when 3DS users laughed at Vita users because we got folders before them... not sure why this is still an issue with the Wii U, it just looks silly.

Since Apple started the trend with iOS, every single system needs the Folder Firmware Update™. Users need something to look forward to. One day it'll come to the Wii U; then, to the PS4... And so on.

Shaanyboi

Banned
-Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down
-Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed
-GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu*2

Can someone clarify what this is about? So when you get a "special notification", it's just going to appear on the gamepad, even if the system is off?

komplanen

Nintendo continue winning

If the bar for "winning" is to match the performance of what is expected of a modern console then they are winning. For me this just brings the time from power button press to gaming more in line with PS4. I don't personally call that winning though but is nice they finally got around to doing it.

I remember when 3DS users laughed at Vita users because we got folders before them... not sure why this is still an issue with the Wii U, it just looks silly.
Folders would be boss but I did just figure out a pretty sweet setup with the current menu. But really, folders would be awesome.

-Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down
-Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed
-GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu*2

Can someone clarify what this is about? So when you get a "special notification", it's just going to appear on the gamepad, even if the system is off?

Remember that when they say "off" they mean when the Wii U is in standby. Obviously if the system is really off, the gamepad by itself couldn't receive updates.

I imagine it'll be the equivalent to when you get spotpass updates on your 3DS, a light blinks to let you know something has been sent to your system. There will undoubtedly be an option to turn it off.

If the bar for "winning" is to match the performance of what is expected of a modern console then they are winning. For me this just brings the time from power button press to gaming more in line with PS4. I don't personally call that winning though but is nice they finally got around to doing it.

To be fair... the Wii U is doing this without any system install though.

Ghazi

It took me 15 minutes to find our gamepad to update the thing, I don't think we've touched our Wii U for 8 months and the only game we have is Nintendoland.
wtzgU.gif

Guess I need to buy MarioKart, then.

J@hranimo

Banned

I call it an improvement, and frankly I'll take whatever good stuff Nintendo throws my way.

It took me 15 minutes to find our gamepad to update the thing, I don't think we've touched our Wii U for 8 months and the only game we have is Nintendoland.
wtzgU.gif

You should and you should join the NeoGAF tournament league... fun as hell. Also free game on top of that isn't bad either.

Sigh, I hate the "consume 10x times more in standby while polling for stuff that is only available once a month" features, way to waste energy for very little benefit. I know it is comparatively very small, but think global and add all the people in the world with this (or similar devices with similar features -Xbox One, Wii...-) enabled just because it's the way it comes by default. It, again, amounts to a lot of energy...for close to no gain.

jholmes

wtzgU.gif

I'm glad you updated your firmware, but if you don't play the thing or want any games, why did you rush to update the firmware?

And yes, get Mario Kart 8. It's awesome.

ngower

Any reports of problems with the update? I know there's always one or two folks out there shafted by an update and I don't want to be the one! God forbid I brick my brand new Mario Kart 8 machine.

Alex

Man, I hate updating consoles and handhelds, at least the ones I have, this thing has been going forever.

Ghazi

I'm glad you updated your firmware, but if you don't play the thing or want any games, why did you rush to update the firmware?

And yes, get Mario Kart 8. It's awesome.
Quick Boot sounds exciting.
MK AND a free game. Pikmin 3 ;D
Ha! I'm thinking Wind Waker, since I've never played it!
You should and you should join the NeoGAF tournament league... fun as hell. Also free game on top of that isn't bad either.

Sounds fun, unfortunately I don't think I'll really have the time to participate.

Top Bottom