• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU Update V5.0.0 out now. Quick Start Function.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
System menus way faster now.

Miiverse still sort of slow though. Feels even worse now that the system menus are faster.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
downloaded and installed/rebooted in literally 5 minutes. That was FAST.

So jealous of you people with fast Internet connections. My Internet is so bad here that I can hardly do anything else online while I am waiting for this to download, and all told this thing will probably take close to an hour. AN HOUR.

BM8

Neo Member
Is it me, or does everything look sharper? Have they adjusted resolutions for everything?

I know the gamepad chip can be updated. Maybe they did that?

I guess I'll find out soon enough... but to clarify... the notification stuff is just Nintendo notifactions right? They really need to improve their system for notifications between users. MK8 is impossible to play with friends without having to set up gameplay outside of the Wii U itself. I've already ran into multiple probs messaging a friend who I saw was playing MK8 but he didnt notice because you have to go to Miiverse to see those messages. It makes no sense.

I'm on this bus. Let me communicate easily with my wii u friends nintendo.

Eusis

Took forever to download and wasn't even on a slow connection. I think the servers were just jampacked initially and since most of the people got addressed it sped up crazy fast.

LiK

So jealous of you people with fast Internet connections. My Internet is so bad here that I can hardly do anything else online while I am waiting for this to download, and all told this thing will probably take close to an hour. AN HOUR.

my connection is actually pretty slow and basic compared to everyone else. i think i was just lucky i got a fast server. i'm on wifi too which surprised me.

started at 9:11pm and finished at 9:16pm :D

Is it me, or does everything look sharper? Have they adjusted resolutions for everything?

I know the gamepad chip can be updated. Maybe they did that?

It's possible they updated their CODEC to get better results, but the update surely didn't add pixels :) Haven't tested it yet myself so I can't say.

BM8

Neo Member
It's possible they updated their CODEC to get better results, but the update surely didn't add pixels :) Haven't tested it yet myself so I can't say.

Okay.

No way implying added pixels. I meant the icon size, maybe they made em slightly smaller, appearing sharper.

Berna

So... Under the Switch User option for NNID... Your Mii dances...
It's amazing!

Yep.

FirsthandChiefBordercollie.gif

Van Owen

Banned
It's still entirely too slow.

Having to launch separate apps and waiting for them to load to see which friends are online or change settings is beyond stupid and was done better last gen.

Riki

Having to launch separate apps and waiting for them to load to see which friends are online or change settings is beyond stupid and was done better last gen.

It takes like 3 seconds to load your friends list. That's the same as any other system.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Apps like Friends List and Web Browser load up fine.

The main exception I have to all of this was stated above, and that is Miiverse. Loading up Miiverse is still hella slow. Thankfully Mario Kart 8 has Miiverse just built into the game instead,

M3d10n

The quick start menu works when the Wii U is actually off? I knew the GamePad had some actual hardware on it other than a video and audio decoder, nice to see Nintendo making more use of it.

terrisus

Was going to post a picture but abload.de is giving me some issues.

Triangle in the top left. First row has three: disc, wii mode, activity log (games). Second: Netflix and amazon prime (media). Third: AC Plaza.

Empty space and then a column down the far right. Wii U games on top. Most recently played visible. Rest of the Wii U games go down the top row through all screens. Second row has VC games. Third row is downloadable/indie games.

Settings at the end of the games and the rest of the crap on the last page. Keeps the first page clean and the whole thing moderately organized.

Folders would be better but it works.

Back on topic, the quick launch is awesome.

I have 83 icons in my menus, with 7 pages available.

How would you recommend I organize my icons to be in any sort of logical format?

VanWinkle

Speed feels the same, but I haven't used the quick start thing yet, which is the main feature. Haven't really noticed any stealth updates yet, except there's a little edge of a disc on the icon on the home menu that corresponds to the disc you have in the system. Just a minor aesthetic different.

Edit: Just tried the quick start. Man that thing is fast. Started up Pikmin in hardly any time at all. VERY, VERY cool.

Riki

Friends list and browser load in like 3 seconds though.

Right, I said as much. I just wish messaging was integrated into the Friend's List.

Speed feels the same, but I haven't used the quick start thing yet, which is the main feature. Haven't really noticed any stealth updates yet, except there's a little edge of a disc on the icon on the home menu that corresponds to the disc you have in the system. Just a minor aesthetic different.

Pretty sure that's always been there.

Top Bottom