• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS go for Sony's throat at E3 and undercut their PS4 MSRP ?

I'm sorry, but this gen has already been decided.

I know the lot of you like to preach the bullshit of "It's not over yet!" "The PS3 recovered!" blah blah blah.

The writing is on the wall. MS is pretty much going to lose this gen. The only thing that's debatable at this point is BY HOW MUCH.

Unless the XB1 sets China on fire (LOL!) MS just has to make the Xbox division profitable. Catching up to Sony is a pipe dream.

Shouldn't we wait for the March NPD? One month of positive sales will not be a complete panacea, but if they outsell Sony in March, no one will talk about pricedrops.

EDIT: well, anymore pricedrops.

rokkerkory

But what about everywhere outside the States and uK? Don't you think they should do something.

They are doing something aren't they? But they shouldn't to the extent that the OP suggests. You really think they are in that bad of a position start losing $1xx per system just to undercut PS4?

Nzyme32

No, they better off taking the money they would expect to lose through a reduced pricing strategy and simply investing in a more competitive game library and service that gamers actually want more of

Then you're a denialist.

Is that even a word?

c2m.gif

1126.gif

I love GAF

avaya

There is no 'war'. PS4 already won the sales race when Sony was not launching later or at a higher price.

Microsoft is a paper tiger.

I'm sorry, but this gen has already been decided.

I know the lot of you like to preach the bullshit of "It's not over yet!" "The PS3 recovered!" blah blah blah.

The writing is on the wall. MS is pretty much going to lose this gen. The only thing that's debatable at this point is BY HOW MUCH.

Unless the XB1 sets China on fire (LOL!) MS just has to make the Xbox division profitable. Catching up to Sony is a pipe dream.

Nothing has been decided yet. We are at the beginning of this gen. And everyone will do their best. And everyone gets their fair share if they dont fuck shit up (I really hope Nintendo will recover somehow and shows Zelda that sells like hotcakes)

I dont wanna miss the status quo from 3 years before.

omonimo

Banned
So XBone isn't selling terribly but it's being beaten quite comfortably by PS4 in hardware sales in most of the countries Worldwide (some suggest it's 7 million to 4 million at the moment). Even more worryingly is retailers selling off unsold Titanfall bundles in not only the US but also the UK, previously two of the 360's strongest markets.

Do you think MS will be very aggressive and fight back as early as E3 by removing Kinect from the box and pricing XBone at $349.99, undercutting PS4 by $50 ?.

If so do you think it will have much effect on global sales and would Sony be in a position to drop the price of PS4 by $50 less than a year after launch ?.
So why they have dropped the price or they need to drop furthermore? Sadism?

hawk2025

I mean, for all purposes the console has been roughly the same price as the PS4 with the endless sales, bundles, and gift cards that have been offered with it for the past month or so.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If Microsoft wants Sony's throat, they need to announce an exclusive crash bandicoot game.

What, so it can bomba on the X1 platform instead of the PS4?

Come on people. Let's accept the fact that Crash is dead. Re-animating the corpse for a next-gen title isn't going to strike a chord with the average gamer.

Shouldn't we wait for the March NPD? One month of positive sales will not be a complete panacea, but if they outsell Sony in March, no one will talk about pricedrops.

EDIT: well, anymore pricedrops.

npd is only u.s. worldwide it's already over with sony winning this gen. even if they got march then in april ps4 will sell more again and beyond so MS will need a price cut if they want the u.s.

RoKKeR

Is it, though? They had a successful launch in the US, but how is the XB1 selling in 2014 so far?

In the US last month it only sold what, 15-20k less than the PS4? It's not exactly tanking. I'll go find the old thread.

Edit: Here they are...

PS4: 258,000 / 0.9 = 286.7K (Though XB1 is "over 90%" of the PS4's sales, so it might be a bit lower.)
Xbox One: 258K

Freeman

Banned
I wouldn't say it's much easier for them to react considering the state of their company as a whole.
350$ console without a game is nothing for them if it means more market share, would likely be more profitable therefore their financial state is irrelevant. It not like you are going to buy the console and never buy a game for it or subscribe to their services, there is no piracy on PS4 yet.

HORRORSHØW

I don't think they can go back to a 499 without a game after all the bundles. The console spent longer discounted than full price since its arrival on the market.
wow is that true? that just demonstrates how overpriced it was at launch. everything MS has done thus far has been reactionary. it's going to be interesting how MS entices gamers to buy their machine, be it a price a drop, a kinect drop, an added game, or a combination of all three.

creyas

Lol okay at some of the dreaming in this thread. They'll keep bundling the shit out of it though - less obvious it isn't doing as well as they'd like and early adopters won't be that upset. I'd wager people prefer to think they're getting a deal instead of the official bargain bin bomba at this point.

DOA in a lot of tier 2, but i guess they didn't care about that in the first place.

Sony's throat isn't exposed right now.

That's not going for the throat, that would be desperation.

Yeah.

In the US last month it only sold what, 15-20k less than the PS4? It's not exactly tanking. I'll go find the old thread.

Edit: Here they are...

You need to remember, this was a region they were dominating last gen. If 15-20k behind a supply constrained PS4 is "good" then, yes, well done Microsoft.

It's dead no matter what it does? So bringing out better games at a better price with a better online infrastructure won't change anything? If that's the case the console market is broken.

let me see my defensive friend

better games? sony will stop making games tomorrow or something? if this past generation show anything is so much more important is the fist party output on the sony side than on ms side..and third party games will be better on the ps4..thats a almost certain thing..

better price? wat? thats not happening dude,sony can lower their prices too

better online infrastructure? thats debatable

the console market its not broken..the console market as chosen the better and cheaper option

MS need to release the xbox one in the other countries first before they should have a price cut. No excuse to not release in the other territories yet.

Gorillaz

The board ain't trying to hear about eating a big ass loss or abandoning kinect after it was pushed by the division as "needed" this early out

RoKKeR

You need to remember, this was a region they were dominating last gen. If 15-20k behind a supply constrained PS4 is "good" then, yes, well done Microsoft.

Thanks for the reminder. I never said it was doing well, did I? It just isn't tanking (in the US, mind you) as some would have you believe.

That being said it's clear they need to slash the base price along with added incentives to bring it more in line with the PS4, there's no doubt about that.

It took several gift cards and stealth price cuts to get that close though.

Not to mention throwing in a free copy of their biggest game.. and that's only in NA, where of course it's doing okay (I don't think anyone's arguing that). The issue is it's performance WW, there's a whole wide world outside the US that people seem to ignore.

harSon

Banned
350$ console without a game is nothing for them if it means more market share, would likely be more profitable therefore their financial state is irrelevant. It not like you are going to buy the console and never buy a game for it or subscribe to their services, there is no piracy on PS4 yet.

They're not going to voluntarily forgo an extra $50 a console when their consoles is setting records at its current price point, especially when the company as a whole has been a financial mess for the last few years.

Trojan

No way MS undercuts the price of the PS4. You can't take a 15-25% loss per unit at this stage in the console war without serious shareholder repercussions. Just ask Nintendo, who is still holding to that $300 price.

Ocaso

Nah, both consoles are bad value atm.

Sure they are, buddy. No need to let sticky things like facts sully your opinion.

In any case, as others have said, though a price drop may not be out of the question, undercutting Sony at this point seems to be an insane maneuver.

Rolf NB

This is what surprises me. Doesn't Sony also have the advantage of reducing the size of PS4 SoC much faster than MS due to not having embedded memory?
They do not develop their silicon processes themselves. They will both be limited to what the foundries can offer. The timeframes to implement die shrinks will be pretty much the same for both.

They're not going to voluntarily forgo an extra $50 a console when their consoles is setting records at its current price point, especially when the company as a whole has been a financial mess for the last few years.

It set records since in the last gen consoles were harder to produce as fast. 360 was supply constrained till like may 2006.

This gen is far from decided. XB1 has yet to expand to more territories. The vast majority of console gamers are still playing on last gen machines. It's hard to regard any argument for the console war being decided six months into the next generation as anything but fanboy drivel. There's no denying Sony is ahead and will likely remain ahead for some time to come but 5-6 years is a long time. If Microsoft is hungry enough and aggressive enough, they can still come out on top. The question that remains is are they, and if not, by how much will they come in second.

Personally, I don't care as much about sales. I enjoy my XB1, Kinect and all, and if last gen told us anything it's that the platform with the most sales isn't necessarily the best or even the winner. If XB1 has the best games this generation then I'll be a happy customer.

Barakov

Gold Member
Drop the price to $399 and I'm in. Do it Microsoft. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this son of a bitch.

breakfuss

I too think the gen has been already decided but MS has a lot of money so there's that.

Don't count 'em out just yet. Playstation 3 came back swinging so anything is possible. I don't think it's possible for them to reach sales parity globally, but they don't have to get outright beatdown, lol.

A cheaper, kinect-less SKU. Doesn't have to be cheaper than the PS4, only needs to match it. Media apps out from behind Gold. And invest in the proper exclusives (Mass Effect is the reason I bought a 360)...they'll start getting more people's attention.

This gen is far from decided. XB1 has yet to expand to more territories. The vast majority of console gamers are still playing on last gen machines. It's hard to regard any argument for the console war being decided six months into the next generation as anything but fanboy drivel. There's no denying Sony is ahead and will likely remain ahead for some time to come but 5-6 years is a long time. If Microsoft is hungry enough and aggressive enough, they can still come out on top. The question that remains is are they, and if not, by how much will they come in second.

Personally, I don't care as much about sales. I enjoy my XB1, Kinect and all, and if last gen told us anything it's that the platform with the most sales isn't necessarily the best or even the winner. If XB1 has the best games this generation then I'll be a happy customer.

The gen is decided for sure actually. Remember MS is weak worldwide and even a year headstart didnt help them. If anything sony will be running away in years.

Top Bottom