• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS go for Sony's throat at E3 and undercut their PS4 MSRP ?

Freeman

Banned
They're not going to voluntarily forgo an extra $50 a console when their consoles is setting records at its current price point, especially when the company as a whole has been a financial mess for the last few years.

That is why I said only if the stocks justify it.

Vashetti

Banned
The gen is decided for sure actually. Remember MS is weak worldwide and even a year headstart didnt help them. If anything sony will be running away in years.

What happened with you? Not saying that people need to choose a "side", but I distinctly remember a few months ago you were very pro-Xbox.

What changed?

See PS2 > PS3... PS3 came back. This doesn't mean X1 will win but it's way too early to conclude anything.

Again, not the same circumstance. The PS3 had the entire world to back it up and push it ahead and it cost Sony billions. MS neither has the first party that Sony does, nor do they have the whole world. If they loose NA, they're pretty much done (and even Parity means a massive shrink in their install base).

The PS3 also had the advantage of coming off of the absolutely massive PS2. The X1 is coming off of the very successful, but nowhere even remotely near the PS2 360 (which is why I'm baffled at MS' arrogance, at least Sony had some reason).

From a sales point, this gen is pretty much decided (WW at least). Of course, there could always be some extreme events that change things. Like, MS could decide to hand out consoles for free, but that isn't going to happen. The gap is already around 3 million, it'll continue to grow for the rest of this gen.

The X1 will be lucky to do half what the 360 did, but at the very least it's in a much better position than the Wii U, which isn't really doing well anywhere.

Human_me

Don't count 'em out just yet. Playstation 3 came back swinging so anything is possible..

Very true, I mean just look back 9 years ago and see what Sony were doing and compare it to today.

I think Microsoft will be fine, they just need the games behind them.

Vashetti

Banned
And the Xbox isn't? And what gap?

What I'm saying is that PS4 is already selling more as it's cheaper and people are aware it's more powerful.

Xbox One may be (roughly) getting the same amount of games, but that doesn't matter because the PS4 has those perks above that I just mentioned.

The gap I refer to is the sales gap. Estimates put the XB1 at 4 million and the PS4 at 7. The gap will continue to widen.

Roshin

Do you think MS will be very aggressive and fight back as early as E3 by removing Kinect from the box and pricing XBone at $349.99, undercutting PS4 by $50?

No, I think they will keep the price and the Kinect, and instead hype upcoming releases through the roof.

The 'gap' right now isn't gigantic, but it's definitely there. Right now though interest seems to be getting into normal levels as it seems supplies are now able to stay in stores for days if not weeks without fear of selling out. Sony still needs to bring powerhouse games but looks to me that sales won't start to skyrocket again until this fall. Maybe Watch Dogs will bring some interest, but that has an old gen version.

edit: regardless of what they do, who has first showing? If MS has first showing then Sony probably has a price drop or a countermeasure to MS' price drop.

Does MS even try to compete outside of the US+UK, though? And the console business is contracting in Japan anyway. China could present a new opportunity.

There'd be no point. China isn't going to do anything for the X1, I don't think it's a viable market, at least not anytime soon. Just because there's a lot of people, doesn't mean they'll rush out and buy it (I think we have an India as just such an example). It's impact will be negligible.

but what if Sony goes for MS throat and lowers the price of the ps4 to $299?

The train of thought seems to be only MS is capable of acting, just like they're the only ones capable of optimizing their system and tools, and other such things. I don't get it.

Vinc

Grimløck;107938308 said:
wow is that true? that just demonstrates how overpriced it was at launch. everything MS has done thus far has been reactionary. it's going to be interesting how MS entices gamers to buy their machine, be it a price a drop, a kinect drop, an added game, or a combination of all three.

If it's not, it's got to be damn close. I started seeing price drops/bundles in january (at launch if you include Europe) and it doesn't look like it has stopped since.

TheJLC

I can see it now...

Everyone gets an Xbox One!

EsLiNtE.gif

Xbone is doing fine in its main terrorities. There's no need for a price drop.

Elsewhere, it's dead and there's no point in trying to save it.

Germany Weekly Chart

31 PS3 BEYOND: TWO SOULS (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
40 XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

So again, no need for a drop.

Hawk269

Sources for your information please?(I'm aware of the Titanfall bundle)

Well, they are not "selling off" the Titanfall Bundles earthier. There is more too the reason why some retailers have it at $449.99, but yet none of them can advertise it in their weekly advertisements, just on-line with the "add to cart" to reveal final price or in-store signage.

The fact that people believe this is naïve and just more bashing. The Titanfall bundle is only one month old, no retailer is scared of having dead inventory. Case in point is the Wii U, that did not happen, even with the White One sitting on shelves at launch and during the holidays until Nintendo finally took them back and that was almost 6-8 months later. It just seems that some people like to add this dramatic tag lines like "selling off" to stir the pot.

I am in no way saying I have any information, just a ton of years of experience to know there are reasons why they cannot advertise that lower price.

Tell that to retailers.

Perhaps retailers want to move consoles off of shelves?

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but, assuming the X1 has sold 4 million, that'd mean they just barely sold through their Dec. stock (3.9 million shipped at the end of Dec.). That means that, assuming 1 million a month production, there's what, 3 million or so X1s sitting on shelves and in warehouses? I'm pretty sure storage isn't cheap.

iceatcs

Hmm, high expectations on MS E3 and low expectations for Sony E3.

I think Sony another walk in the park this time.

Salex_

I guess we might have an idea of what MS will do after March NPD comes out on Thursday.

The PS4 was pretty easy to find both online and offline as the month went by and inFamous came out. The Xbox One had a lot of deals and free Titanfall/Forza code bundles.

If the hardware sales are almost the same or if the PS4 outsells it for the month, then I think they'll do an official price drop at E3.

muddream

Banned
Again, not the same circumstance. The PS3 had the entire world to back it up and push it ahead and it cost Sony billions. MS neither has the first party that Sony does, nor do they have the whole world. If they loose NA, they're pretty much done (and even Parity means a massive shrink in their install base).

The PS3 also had the advantage of coming off of the absolutely massive PS2. The X1 is coming off of the very successful, but nowhere even remotely near the PS2 360 (which is why I'm baffled at MS' arrogance, at least Sony had some reason).

From a sales point, this gen is pretty much decided (WW at least). Of course, there could always be some extreme events that change things. Like, MS could decide to hand out consoles for free, but that isn't going to happen. The gap is already around 3 million, it'll continue to grow for the rest of this gen.

The X1 will be lucky to do half what the 360 did, but at the very least it's in a much better position than the Wii U, which isn't really doing well anywhere.

The X1 is on track to do close to what the 360 did unless you believe that the console market will dramatically shrink this gen. Who knows what will happen, the home entertainment market underwent a ton of changes throughout last gen, a lot of it will come down how well Sony and Microsoft adjust to the market. So far Sony has won over the early adopters 2 to 1, but that's it.

Hmm, high expectations on MS E3 and low expectations for Sony E3.

I think Sony another walk in the park this time.

Well, this E3 is sort of make or break for MS. For Sony, it's just another E3. I can see why there's a difference in expectations.

The X1 is on track to do close to what the 360 did unless you believe that the console market will dramatically shrink this gen. Who knows what will happen, the home entertainment market underwent a ton of changes throughout last gen, a lot of it will come down how well Sony and Microsoft adjust to the market. So far Sony has won over the early adopters 2 to 1, but that's it.

And the PS4 is currently tracking above the PS2 at a similar point, do you think it's going to do PS2 numbers? Of course not. The X1 is tracking like that because of it's big launch. It's going to fall behind soon enough (especially when WW sales are taken into account).

I'm confused, were you been sarcastic at first? There is no better reason for a price drop than excess of stock.

No, I was agreeing with you and saying that price cuts could be because of overstock.

Freeman

Banned

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but, assuming the X1 has sold 4 million, that'd mean they just barely sold through their Dec. stock (3.9 million shipped at the end of Dec.). That means that, assuming 1 million a month production, there's what, 3 million or so X1s sitting on shelves and in warehouses? I'm pretty sure storage isn't cheap.
I'm confused, were you been sarcastic at first? There is no better reason for a price drop than excess of stock.

QaaQer

anyone with a bunch of spare time and 9th grade math care to calculate the volume of 3 million x1's and what it would cost to store that at Uncle Bob's Self Storage?

I don't expect anything short of amazing from MS E3 now that Xbox is under much better management. I already prefer it to the PS4 but I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll combat it.

QaaQer

I don't expect anything short of amazing from MS E3 now that Xbox is under much better management. I already prefer it to the PS4 but I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll combat it.

I expect a lot of shooting and explosions and earplugs @ MS's event. I'm really curious to see what ninty trots out (if anything).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see them going below $400. And if they did I'd guess Sony would just match given how aggressive they've been and how determined they are to get back on top.

muddream

Banned
And the PS4 is currently tracking above the PS2 at a similar point, do you think it's going to do PS2 numbers? Of course not. The X1 is tracking like that because of it's big launch. It's going to fall behind soon enough (especially when WW sales are taken into account).

I don't understand why the PS4 can't possibly do PS2 numbers and the X1 can't do 360 numbers. Care to elaborate?

QaaQer

IF they tried this, whose to say Sony wouldn't cut the price in response?

Sony is treating the playstation business as a business. I.e., it is expected to pull its weight. If MS wants to 'win' the war by losing money, the opportunity is there sans retaliation.

Corto

Price match, perhaps. Lower than PS4, only with a SKU without the Kinect. And that would be the end of it (Kinect) as that would stomp the Kinect SKU sales to oblivion. And this doesn't take into account Sony's reaction. I would guess a wait and see approach until holidays and then react accordingly if needed with a price cut, aggressive bundling and whatnot.

Edit: and I believe that Sony wouldn't need to do nothing.

anyone with a bunch of spare time and 9th grade math care to calculate the volume of 3 million x1's and what it would cost to store that at Uncle Bob's Self Storage?

Well, going by Amazon's product dimensions of 18x9x14 the volume is 2268 inches, multiplied by 3 million = 6,804,000,000 inches. The lowest prices I found for a 10x10 (so 120x120 inches. Uncle Bob's Storage space was $119. So 6804000000/14400 = 472,500 * 119 = $56,227,500 per month. That probably doesn't mean much but it answers your question

Disclaimer: I suck at math.

P90

I don't see how the X1 is in any position to "go for the throat". That type of scenario in sports means being in the lead and making sure the losing team cannot get back into the game. If you mean battle back from significant point deficit to make it a respectable game, well, that could happen.

As has been reported a number of times MS has many investors and persons among the BoD that aren't too keen on MS keeping the Xbox division. Price cutting so that division bleeds billions might not sit well with those same entities/persons.

Sony is treating the playstation business as a business. I.e., it is expected to pull its weight. If MS wants to 'win' the war by losing money, the opportunity is there sans retaliation.

Yeah, but you don't do very well at business if you aren't competitive.

Sony can ill afford to sacrifice PS4's key advantage over XB1.

Top Bottom