• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see another good Spider-Man game?

Matty77

I actually would like to see Platinum get a shot, and not in the typical "give it to platinum" way. Spider-Man should be fast, fluid, with non swinging movement that's as acrobatic as the rest. Platinum already can nail that. Only question is the swinging and they can't botch it worst than others.

And I don't want open world save the random strangers shit. I would rather have tight levels with different hench types leading up to battles with bosses that are villains, that are unique fights but in real time no QTE's.

gblues

Banned
I don't know, I was always partial to Ultimate Spider-Man myself. Especially once you unlock Venom.

2.jpg

What killed USM for me was the completely broken chase sequences, where you had to stay within a certain distance (on all axis) or you lose. So e.g. if the guy you're tailing happens to drop from a high place to a very low place and you don't plummet after them, you lose instantly.

There's multiple of these sequences, and they only get longer and more convoluted. Completely killed the momentum of the game.

Neoxon

I actually would like to see Platinum get a shot, and not in the typical "give it to platinum" way. Spider-Man should be fast, fluid, with non swinging movement that's as acrobatic as the rest. Platinum already can nail that. Only question is the swinging and they can't botch it worst than others.

And I don't want open world save the random strangers shit. I would rather have tight levels with different hench types leading up to battles with bosses that are villains, that are unique fights but in real time no QTE's.
See, that would be the logical course of action for Activision before their Spidey contract expires in 2017 (assuming that Activision has no interest in renewing).

Bleepey

Marvel needs to take their game side as seriously as their movie side. No reason there shouldn't be new connected killer Marvel games every year.

Why do they need to be connected. I mean I am not against it but I am perfectly cool with them being totaly different with wildly different art styles and tones.

[boots]

yeah web-slinging is probably the last thing people would play spider-man games for

First thing that popped into my head after reading the title was the thread about Sony's patents for vr gloves.

That would probably make web-slinging the first thing people would play a Spider-man game for.

P.S. - would also make for a truly great AoT game as well.

Piano

Banned
Take the web swinging mechanics from Spider-Man 2, the combat from Web of Shadows and add in some actually decent mission structure and you've already got yourself a pretty good game.

JimiNutz

Banned
Is there any chance that Sony get the licence back?
I mean they do ownn the movie rights and they do own the movie rights. Imagine Sucker Punch on a Spider-Man game....

What killed USM for me was the completely broken chase sequences, where you had to stay within a certain distance (on all axis) or you lose. So e.g. if the guy you're tailing happens to drop from a high place to a very low place and you don't plummet after them, you lose instantly.

There's multiple of these sequences, and they only get longer and more convoluted. Completely killed the momentum of the game.

Oh, it definitely wasn't perfect by any stretch, but it captured the spirit of the comics more than any other game I've ever played, so that earns it a lot of slack. Plus, the cell-shaded art style has held up fairly well.

gblues

Banned
Oh, it definitely wasn't perfect by any stretch, but it captured the spirit of the comics more than any other game I've ever played, so that earns it a lot of slack. Plus, the cell-shaded art style has held up fairly well.

I agree! I loved almost everything else about it. But those chase sequences broke me. :( If they had just made the "distance to target" calculation strictly based on X/Z distance (ignoring height), it would have been much less frustrating.

Flavius

Spidey has had many awesome games. Batman has has 4. We will get more.

Which ones are you leaving out? Batman for NES was just better than good, SNES Batman Returns was one of the best brawlers of the time, and I recall playing the Joker game on my friend's Genesis and having quite a good time with it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Developers think combat and story is more important than swinging. They continue to miss the point.

It's depressing. Can't top the core mechanics of a game that's so old.

FoneBone

I believe Activision still has the Spider-Man video game license. The contract was signed with Sony when they had the Spider-Man merchandising rights. But when Marvel reclaimed them, they had to honor Sony's original commitments. To my knowledge, said contract expires next year, so maybe then we'll see other developers take a stab at Spidey in a video game. And judging by recent events, I'm not sure if Activision is all that interested in renewing.

If the terms of their original contracts were still in effect, why did they remove all of their non-movie-licensed Marvel games from sale for a year and a half?

I think something got renegotiated, but whether Activision currently has the rights to make new games is unclear. Marvel has hinted that we'll get more console announcements sometime this year, so maybe we'll get a better answer.

Didn't Marvel take back the comic-license so that Activision can only make movie games?

Anyway a wellfunded Spider-Man game have been my dream game since forever.

JSevere

we just need an HD remaster/remake of the Spider-Man 2 game tbh

but really Activision, get a team together to make a game with the SM2/USM style of web slinging and the WoS style of combat and you got something special

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
A shattered dimension sequel would be cool, like a game based on Spider Verse. Anything as long as it's not connected to the shitty MCU.

sadly i dont think so

Platinum could make a combat focused spider man like shattered dimension but i don't trust them with web slinging, the only dev team that i could think make web slinging would be sucker punch

entremet

I thought it was more than 4 for Batman. He had some great NES, SNES and Sega Genesis games as well in addition to the Arkham games.

Not to mention that most of the Spiderman games from that era were crap.

We had Sunset Batmans, the Konami beat em up on SNES, and the Genesis Batman and Robin. Those were good games.

jdstorm

Banned
I know that F2P mobile titles are almost universally hated by gamers, and Gameloft isn't exactly loved either.,,

But before they screwed it up and made it an MMO. The Spider-Man Endless runner by Gameloft was probably the best platformer on mobile and a great platformer full stop. (Apart from energy bar.) who puts an energy bar on an endless runner?

Beenox isn't working on the Spidey IP anymore. The game license ends sometime in 2017 for Acti and back to Marvel (Disney).

Even if it is with Acti, no way in hell would Treyarch make another title, going out of their way abandoning a franchise that prints money by itself - CoD.

So, if a next game is happening before 2017, it's most likely the Spider-Gwen title that Hashimoto wanted to make (small scale) but that's not looking so bright either.

It's gonna be while before any studio gets a shot at the IP, w/o it being a movie tie-in or a B-grade open world Arkham clone.

Timu

Not to mention that most of the Spiderman games from that era were crap.

We had Sunset Batmans, the Konami beat em up on SNES, and the Genesis Batman and Robin. Those were good games.
Agreed!!!

I'll say Spider Man is better in 3D though than 2D.

He's working on his own swinging game, so technically Spider-Man fans could check that out for authentic swinging action

Hello, lead programmer from SM2 and SM3 here (and lead on the WoS Wii port). Just a note that this work involved more than just Jamie--Andrei Pokrovsky contributed quite a bit to it. Thanks for the kind words about the games, though. Surprised no "my balloon" mentions, come on people. Or pizza mission music.

(I do not speak for Activision in an official capacity, etc. etc.)

MAX PAYMENT

There hasn't been a good spiderman game. Try to go back and play any of the "good" ones and you'll discover that they've aged poorly and are awful.

There will never be another genuinely good game while Activision hold the license. They don't give enough of a shit, allocate small budgets and don't allow the devs enough time. We need Sucker Punch to make a Spidey game, but that won't happen unless Sony get the videogame license.

Top Bottom