• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see another good Spider-Man game?

I really enjoyed Shattered Dimensions. I wish Beenox could get a budget to make something on that scale again.

I'd love a Spiderverse game.

Web of Shadows had great web swinging. There was some invisible swing boxes over Central Park, but other than that, it felt just like SM2.

The combat in WoS is top tier, though. Best spiderman combat created. Initiating a combo from a mid-swing kick, continuing the combo by flinging your enemy around with a web while you're both mid-air, slamming them into the side of a building and fighting while crawling along that... fucking amazing stuff.

Web of shadows is fucking dope. Its a shame that game doesnt get more praise, the combat was top tier.

TimFL

A LOT of false information in this topic.

This is fact:

Didn't Marvel take back the comic-license so that Activision can only make movie games?

Anyway a wellfunded Spider-Man game have been my dream game since forever.

Marvel got back the Spider-Man game license years ago. Activision does only have the movie tie-in license (which apparently expires next year). All Activision can do is movie tie-ins, no WoS or Shattered Dimensions sequel.

Also, there was an interview with Mike Jones from the Marvel Games Division who claimed their future goal is to create a MVGU (Marvel Video Game Universe) that takes cues from the MCU but is no exact tie-in. They also mentioned that they have console games in development last year and that we could expect more news on them "next year/2016" (I think that was mid 2015... so yeah go figure).
Found the article: Polygon article
Can't find the article about the MVGU name drop though... it's out there somewhere though so yeah.

Lets hope Spidey is one of them? I mean Spidey certainly lends himself to being a good Arkham style franchise due to his big fan base.
Believe?

On the topic of Beenox bashing: I always say and and I keep on saying it, Beenox could most likely deliver. TASM1 was good with a few flaws. Then TASM2 happened due to Activision only allocating 1/4th of the first games budget (and cutting hours/removing dev time to meet the movie sequel launch window).
It seems like Beenox was degraded to doing COD ports now though (last I heard was that they worked on the 360 BO3 port?) and their Skylanders franchise.

HagiG7

The console version of Spiderman 2 really captured the web-slinging open world feeling.
It was like Spidey meets GTA. I had so much fun on Gamecube.

Arttemis

A LOT of false information in this topic.

This is fact:

Marvel got back the Spider-Man game license years ago. Activision does only have the movie tie-in license (which apparently expires next year). All Activision can do is movie tie-ins, no WoS or Shattered Dimensions sequel.

Also, there was an interview with Mike Jones from the Marvel Games Division who claimed their future goal is to create a MVGU (Marvel Video Game Universe) that takes cues from the MCU but is no exact tie-in. They also mentioned that they have console games in development last year and that we could expect more news on them "next year/2016" (I think that was mid 2015... so yeah go figure).
Found the article: Polygon article
Can't find the article about the MVGU name drop though... it's out there somewhere though so yeah.

Lets hope Spidey is one of them? I mean Spidey certainly lends himself to being a good Arkham style franchise due to his big fan base.
Believe?

On the topic of Beenox bashing: I always say and and I keep on saying it, Beenox could most likely deliver. TASM1 was good with a few flaws. Then TASM2 happened due to Activision only allocating 1/4th of the first games budget (and cutting hours/removing dev time to meet the movie sequel launch window).
It seems like Beenox was degraded to doing COD ports now though (last I heard was that they worked on the 360 BO3 port?) and their Skylanders franchise.
Thank you for the info!

What a bummer that Disney withdrew from the gaming business as soon as they gobbled up Lucas Arts. Hopefully, those new refocused projects are with the wait. Battlefront definitely looks great, but I think it was pushed out to meet timelines. All the other IPs have so much potential, they deserve to be nurtured.

Has any game bettered the webswing mechanic from Spiderman 2? I only dabbled with Shattered dimensions and haven't played any other Spidey games since.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Developers think combat and story is more important than swinging. They continue to miss the point.

It's depressing. Can't top the core mechanics of a game that's so old.

Web Swinging is one part of Spider-Man and the other part is having a good story, a good combat system that allows him to display his acrobatic skills, using his spider sense effectively and not as a lame detective mode from the Arkham game and wall climbing.

Spider-Man 2 may had a good web swinging mechanic and the combat system used his spider sense but it was a license game so the story sucked.

Yeah I liked what Beenox did with Amazing Spider-Man 1 and it was clear that Amazing Spider-Man 2 was just rushed out the door with very little budget.

Blueingreen

In all fairness, the worst Spiderman game is leagues better than any Superman game, I dare someone to name one decent Superman game.

TimFL

In all fairness, the worst Spiderman game is leagues better than any Superman game, I dare someone to name one decent Superman game.
Superman Returns was pretty fun in terms of flight gameplay. Combat, story and the rest was mediocre though.

So it's pretty much on par with Spider-Man 2 in that department. Both had great traversal mechanics (or at least good for their time), both had a mediocre story and combat gameplay (face it, SM2 combat was pretty awful with the camera movement etc).

I don't get the love for SM2 either... it was pretty fun but SM3 pretty much took the formula and super-charged it:
- Way better open world (a lot more variety)
- Way better procedural missions (crimes had way more variety + bigger side missions like that one warehouse full of stolen art)
- It helped a lot that the graphics aged better than the PS2 SM2 game
Okay... SM3 ran like crap on certain systems but still.. I enjoyed SM3 more than SM2.

To get back on topic... what I'd love to see in a Spidey game:
- Web swinging with an actual physics system behind it (weblines having physical properties, they should bend and stretch and possibly even snap)
- Focus on the gameplay first and foremost (open world, proper procedural side missions etc)
- Allow us to switch to Peter Parker on the fly for slower gameplay (heck they could even add certain Peter only missions like meeting up with your love interest or making it to class in time... meet JJJ in the Daily Bugle to sell your pictures or accept quests/jobs...)
- A story that isn't over the top "Spidey's last day on earth because robots and apocalypse etc"... every single game tries to go armageddon instead of focusing on a small scale, more contained experience. The biggest fun I ever had with Spidey games were the smaller missions (trying to make it to class in time in SM2 or meeting up with MJ or the occasional bank heist or small time villain popping up...). Get 1-3 villains and slowly build them up over the duration of the game, combined with a few gangs trying to start something and a lot of high school drama and non-stop procedural crimes happening and you have your story. Oh and please... for the love of Gabe Newell... don't add any robots. I get that they are easy to animate/do but goddamnit if I see one more Spidey game with lame ass robots I'll... still buy it.
- Build a nice and detailed open world hub and use of it. Almost every Spidey game to date has missions that take place in interior levels. It gets incredibly dull if you take someone as agile as Spidey and throw him in a vent to crawl in 24/7. I never got why most Spidey games barely use the open world. I mean who wouldn't love to chase down Electro or the Green Goblin in south NYC? That Goblin Harry SM3 mission was one of my favorite missions because it literally took place in the open world without any limitations.

I think its a matter of time. We're in a different era of licensed games though where things like the Lego games and Disney infinity have effectively replaced the movie tie in games of yesteryear so we only really get substantial licensed games with a budget... I think we're kind of due for a new initiative of big Marvel games, just give it a couple years.

the Superman arcade game was my jam at a Chuck E Cheese I went to twice when I was a kid

superman.png

Spinluck

Spider-Man 2 with today's tech and advances in general open world game mechanics would be godtier.

A team like Suckerpunch would make a godtier game, but I want it to be a full on Spidey game meaning Peter's personal life would play a huge role.

Get Spidey segments made by SP, then Pete segments by the Life Is Strange team. Although, I think SP is talented enough to take on all aspects of a Spider-Man game. They're in the top 3 with Spider-Man 2 and Arkham when it comes to best open world traversal.

Of course this is just me fantasizing, one team would be enough.

jdstorm

Banned
Man this thread really makes me want to see what an Elite level developer could do with the superman licence.
Imagine what a bandco/retro studios collaboration could do. Superman as a 3D fighter/platformer, lots of on rails sections (like star fox) and liberal use of dynamic camera angles.

I think an Indie Dev is making a game with a superman style indestructible hero. But I forget what it's called

There are so many things with spiderman that would make it amazing... he's probably one of the only properties where mind blowing character animation would be an asset. When I think of all the effort that Ubi put into AC character animation I just weep that nobody has done the same for Spider-Man.

shattered wasint too bad was it ? i recall hearing that amazing spiderman was not to bad but 2 was crap , for me iv enjoyed the two that came out on the PS1 and the first one to hit the PS2 , spiderman 2 was a pretty ugly game which i ended up playing late

I'm still waiting for an iron man game done in the style of zone of the Enders: the 2nd runner

I'm waiting on a decent Captain America game. After The Winter Soldier he just seems like an ideal character for an Arkham-style action game. Never played the Sega one, but got the impression it wasn't all that good.

TimFL

A team like Suckerpunch would make a godtier game, but I want it to be a full on Spidey game meaning Peter's personal life would play a huge role.

But Suckerpunch is pretty much mediocre at everything but traversal gameplay. Their maps are repetitive and dull, their side missions are laughable to say the least and the last few stories they threw out were mediocre at best.

But Suckerpunch is pretty much mediocre at everything but traversal gameplay. Their maps are repetitive and dull, their side missions are laughable to say the least and the last few stories they threw out were mediocre at best.

I know some of the devs on that team and have a lot of respect for them, but it did strike me when almost 100%'ing the last game that the design per se hasn't advanced much beyond what was done in SM2. In WoS there was an attempt to make the transformation of the city part of the experience, but I don't think it really went far enough to feel impactful or interesting enough.

Personally some of us felt after making so many open city games, and dealing with the technical limitations and rigor that imposed, that it would be fun to back and just do a full-on level based version of SM, with gorgeous high-res hand-built geometry. Grass is always greener, natch.

SomTervo

Activision still holds the rights. I really, really, really wish Treyarch would do another Spider-Man game, just like 2. Not really a fan of Beenox's work, outside of Shattered Dimensions.

I was personally hoping that maybe Vicarious Visions would make a great Spidey game since the portable ones they've made are quite solid, even though they're 2.5D. Ultimate Spider-Man on the DS is a gem for me, personally.

Also if I recall correctly, the guy that worked on SM2's web-slinging mechanic Kickstarted a game called Energy Hook. Not sure if it was any good.

fuck

Also arguably Web of Shadows is up there with Spider-Man 2. It didn't improve much on the web slinging, but it got the combat almost perfect.

TimFL

I know some of the devs on that team and have a lot of respect for them, but it did strike me when almost 100%'ing the last game that the design per se hasn't advanced much beyond what was done in SM2. In WoS there was an attempt to make the transformation of the city part of the experience, but I don't think it really went far enough to feel impactful or interesting enough.

Personally some of us felt after making so many open city games, and dealing with the technical limitations and rigor that imposed, that it would be fun to back and just do a full-on level based version of SM, with gorgeous high-res hand-built geometry. Grass is always greener, natch.
Are we talking about Suckerpunch? Because Spidey games are done by Activision studios.

Beenox started with Shattered Dimensions, everything before that was Treyarch (SM2, WoS etc).

trixx

The only game I really enjoyed from the series as ultimate spiderman. That last boss ith carnage was real tough. Overall fun game at the time

Are we talking about Suckerpunch? Because Spidey games are done by Activision studios.

Beenox started with Shattered Dimensions, everything before that was Treyarch (SM2, WoS etc).

Yes, I was speaking about Suckerpunch/Infamous. And yes, I know who made the Spider-man games, I was the lead programmer on several of them at Treyarch ;).

Certinty

If Beenox continue to make Spidey games then they need to go back to their comfort zone which I consider linear levels like Shattered Dimensions which was amazing. They really do suck at open worlds.

Wouldn't mind if another developer took over though and gave us a game similar to Spider-Man 2 or Ultimate Spider-Man. The latter definitely deserves a sequel, it was so underrated and overlooked by many.

TimFL

Yes, I was speaking about Suckerpunch/Infamous. And yes, I know who made the Spider-man games, I was the lead programmer on several of them at Treyarch ;).

I was confused because I was talking about Suckerpunch titles being mediocre and you started talking about Treyarch Spidey titles.

On the topic of Treyarch Spidey titles... at least they seemed to have a proper budget, right? Beenox was kind of left to die with their last Spidey title.
Spider-Man 3 is still my all time favorite Spidey game due to the beautiful open world (also the only title that had a few seemless interiors) and overall gameplay/content. WoS had nice smooth swinging but the voice acting and story was totally not mine (also no fan of the light hearted/comic character art design).

If Beenox continue to make Spidey games then they need to go back to their comfort zone which I consider linear levels like Shattered Dimensions which was amazing. They really do suck at open worlds.

Wouldn't mind if another developer took over though and gave us a game similar to Spider-Man 2 or Ultimate Spider-Man. The latter definitely deserves a sequel, it was so underrated and overlooked by many.
Activision can only do movie tie-ins (said license expires next year though apparently) and Beenox confirmed they're not working on any more Spidey titles so yeah. Up to Marvel to give us the ultimate Spidey experience.

Timu

I'm waiting on a decent Captain America game. After The Winter Soldier he just seems like an ideal character for an Arkham-style action game. Never played the Sega one, but got the impression it wasn't all that good.
Which Sega one? The arcade game based on him was good.

I really enjoyed spiderman: the movie on xbox 360. Moving free vertically through Manhattan was so good, the combat and stuff Not so much. Would love to See a New entry!

KORNdoggy

i'd argue we never really have. spider-man 2 gets a lot of love due to it's web swinging mechanic, but that was ultimately all it was good for. the combat and story were crap and the repetitive mission structure was tedious. i have a special place in my heart for spider-man 1/2 on the PSone, but it didn't really capture spider-man's speed or ability to get around. it has a fairly faithful to the cartoon story but suffered from bad camera angles and repetition.

so i'm honestly still waiting for the first truly good spider-man title.

Top Bottom