• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Xbox games look better on PS5 Pro?

Bigfroth

200.gif
I'm there day one on pro it will carry me for the last years of this gen. PS5 Pro is like a small block V8 in a small car, completely unnecessary but still essential for daily existence :messenger_beaming:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Will games on a brand-new console look better than games on a four-year-old console?

Of course.

DAHGAMING

Yes, that is the Xbox games that are on PS5, the smaller games and gaas, if you want to play big hitters like Halo, Gears, Forza, Halo ect theres a console for you Xbox Series X/S. PS5 Pro is going to be the most powerfull console in the world, I hold my hands up, and I will buy 1 💪💪💪, but come end of next yr/ 1st half 2026 Xbox are coming with some powerfull shit that will be the place to play these games, even Nvida will come with there 5090 to supers and will quiver at the power of the X 💪💪💪

There's literally official Sony documents that leaked that say otherwise. The announcement is almost certainly coming in September as that was the month the PS4 Pro was announced, plus there's a rumored PS showcase in September, so it fits.
Honestly, I hope they delay it until 2025 (like Nintendo did with Switch 2) and release PS6 in 2030.

And before you say anything, keep in mind this gen has been very lacklustre with the lack of true next-gen games.

Do we need an even bigger jump in 2026-2027?

Game devs cannot keep up with the AAArms race, let's not make it worse than it already is.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
There are no 'pro' consoles this gen
Still think there is no pro.

lol that is some wild delusion, its completely inevitable at this point (well for us who have common sense anyway)
michael-jordan-laughing.gif

At this point, most of us are looking at this as a "when" not "if"

I feel MS would still want their games to sell and if they have them on PS, they still would wish to compete with other games on PS, which means they sorta have to have those Pro Enhancements, as imagine them putting out Gears or Halo and they are now competing with other 3rd party games on PS5 Pro, how would it help them to not support 120fps or 4K native or 8K checkerboard or what ever they do with Pro? Oh so let all the other big releases outsell you there then?

The PS5 Pro will render 45% faster than the current PS5 before PSSR patches

But you are likely right most wont be able to tell enough to actually care
giphy.gif

I think like PS4 Pro, it will be for the enthusiast, COD, Madden, Fifa, Tekken etc types

I'll probably get one day 1 too for performance and what ever 8K media stuff they got going on with it.

Maybe some people think PS5 Pro is cancelled due to COVID delay/financial crisis, who knows.

I think it will eventually come out (just like PSVR2), but I'm still not sure if most games will get a PS5 Pro patch...

PS4 Pro support was subpar IMHO. Rockstar never patched GTAV, despite selling tons of copies! Same for RDR2 and others.

So judging by PSVR2's trajectory and assuming PS5 Pro will cost at least $600, then I expect it to do even worse than PS4 Pro.

TL;DR (in terms of dev support):

PSVR1 > PSVR2
PS4 Pro > PS5 Pro

Keep in mind both PSVR1 and PS4 Pro cost $400.

If you price an accessory or an enhanced console more than the base console, then chances are it won't sell well, so don't expect many devs to bother with it, no matter how easy Pro patches might be (as Cerny had said long time ago).

Fredrik

Of course they can.
Dynamic resolution scalers have lower and upper limits. MS can just decide to have the same resolution limit for the Pro and the Series X.
And in games that can go to 60fps on the Pro, they can cap it to 30.
Or they can have low quality Ray-tracing effects, despite the Pro having much better RT acceleration.
And the list goes on and on.
And how often does a game using dynamic resolution stay at the max limit on Xbox Series X?
PS5 Pro will always stay there. XSX won’t.
And whenever there is an unlocked framerate you’ll se PS5 Pro reach higher.
No patch needed, this will happen by default.

Seider

Maybe some people think PS5 Pro is cancelled due to COVID delay/financial crisis, who knows.

I think it will eventually come out (just like PSVR2), but I'm still not sure if most games will get a PS5 Pro patch...

PS4 Pro support was subpar IMHO. Rockstar never patched GTAV, despite selling tons of copies! Same for RDR2 and others.

So judging by PSVR2's trajectory and assuming PS5 Pro will cost at least $600, then I expect it to do even worse than PS4 Pro.

TL;DR (in terms of dev support):

PSVR1 > PSVR2
PS4 Pro > PS5 Pro

Keep in mind both PSVR1 and PS4 Pro cost $400.

If you price an accessory or an enhanced console more than the base console, then chances are it won't sell well, so don't expect many devs to bother with it, no matter how easy Pro patches might be (as Cerny had said long time ago).
Rockstar didnt patch GTA V for Ps4 Pro because it was CPU bottlenecked by the Jaguar both consoles used. A better GPU of 4 Tflops was not enough to upgrade the game visuals. They needed a better CPU for that.

cormack12

Gold Member
The gap won't be that big. It's just the same as asking if Sony's games were better on the Pro. And usually they had a little uplift yeah, but not true advantages. More brute force power allowed stretching of performance profiles.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
On PC (Xbox app)? No they wont, PS5 Pro will still use bottom shelf Radeon GPU, no much for nVidia's card

Rockstar didnt patch GTA V for Ps4 Pro because it was CPU bottlenecked by the Jaguar both consoles used. A better GPU of 4 Tflops was not enough to upgrade the game visuals. They needed a better CPU for that.
They don't have to increase the framerate, but they surely can increase the resolution/gfx.

No?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Nonsense. Framerate, yes, there you're right, but they could have easily increased the rendering resolution and other visual effects, which have nothing to do with the CPU.

King Dazzar

I'm surprised at people wrongly thinking a PS5 Pro isnt coming. And even more surprised at people thinking they wont notice a difference. I've got news for you, the world isn't flat!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They allow the PC versions to look better no logical reason they wouldnt let the PS5Pro version to look better too.

The real question is how close is the PS5Pro version of game X going to get to PC Ultra.

King Dazzar

They allow the PC versions to look better no logical reason they wouldnt let the PS5Pro version to look better too.

The real question is how close is the PS5Pro version of game X going to get to PC Ultra.
I dont think it is. There will always be higher end PC hardware out there, constantly moving what PC Ultra means.

For me I'm simply excited about the potential of us getting improved upscaling more towards DLSS and the ability to be hitting 60fps more confidently with better image quality.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I dont think it is. There will always be higher end PC hardware out there, constantly moving what PC Ultra means.

For me I'm simply excited about the potential of us getting improved upscaling more towards DLSS and the ability to be hitting 60fps more confidently with better image quality.

Theres quite a few games currently that are running Ultra/High settings on console already.
The PS5Pro with its upscaling tech could in theory actually have a 4K looking image at 60fps with a closer match to Ultra settings.

Obviously once we bring in RayTracing the gap will be quite stark, but for general raster i think its possible for the PS5Pro to get close to if not match PC Ultra in quite a number of games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes, they will.

These Xbox games are already a better experience on PS5 than they are on Xbox Series X.
  • Hi-Fi Rush has higher graphical settings on PS5 vs. Xbox Series X.
  • Sea of Thieves supports DualSense and offers better controller feedback than it does on Series X.
  • Minecraft is going to have a current-gen preview build on PS5 before Series X.
PS5 Pro will make the differences even bigger.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We can’t say “Xbox games are on PlayStation” until halo, gears and Forza are. “Running” games on other technologies is sort of curious adventure behavior, obviously a game like cod will have its moments and in the end developers will siege the power of pro consoles.

King Dazzar

Theres quite a few games currently that are running Ultra/High settings on console already.
The PS5Pro with its upscaling tech could in theory actually have a 4K looking image at 60fps with a closer match to Ultra settings.

Obviously once we bring in RayTracing the gap will be quite stark, but for general raster i think its possible for the PS5Pro to get close to if not match PC Ultra in quite a number of games.
It's not something I'm chasing when looking forward to a PS5 Pro. PC Ultra can mean lots of different things. There's the frame rate, the resolution, which DLSS preset, what Ray Tracing preset etc etc. All of which can change depending on the GPU's power.

For me its what it can do in comparison to the existing PS5, not a moving target PC configuration.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
That wasn’t even a question. PC gamers can be so annoying. Everyone knows a decent (and more expensive) PC will always be better than a console if you have the money and patience for the lack of optimization on day one.
How is it even a question to take seriously at all, even for console warriors? Of course newer more powerful consoles can improve the visuals of older (gen) games.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Phil gotta make extra creative choices with that thing.
Imagine after Phil called out Playstation for "slimy platform things" regarding COD tactics recently used by PS so Phil buys COD throws it on Gamepass and this first year Sony releases the Pro and throws in a copy of BO6 where its the best console experience

Richard Pryor Comedy GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Of course. Microsoft are not a competitor to sony anymore and the PlayStation audience are their customers now. Doesn't matter if the team that is in charge of the xbox brand are salty about it. Microsoft will want to sell as many copies as they can on every platform. That's the whole point of putting games on other platforms.

Top Bottom