• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you upgrade to Windows 11 in 2025

What will you do after the end of support for Windows 10?

• I will continue to use Windows 10

Votes: 78 24.8%
  • I'm already using Windows 11

Votes: 176 55.9%
  • I will upgrade to Windows 11, but only on the last day

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • I will switch, or I'm already using, Linux, MacOS, or another OS.

Votes: 38 12.1%
  • I'm only on console and/or mobile, so I don't care.

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

winjer

Gold Member
Windows 10 is still the most used OS in the world, but Microsoft will end support on October 14, 2025.
This means no more bug fixes, fewer security updates, no new features.

So the question is: Will you upgrade to Windows 11? Change to another OS? Or continue to use Windows 10.

Laptop1991

Buying a new PC later in the year, so it will come with it anyway. i've still got my older OS if i need to downgrade for any reason.

Mr Moose

I run W11 from the day it launched and it is perfectly fine. Maybe even excellent.

So don't be a doofus and just upgrade you damn OS.
ovxc9FB6VCBJC.webp

Hudo

If I ever run into issues that can only be solved using Windows, I may install Win 11 on dual boot or so. Is there an LTSC version coming?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I've been using it for a while now and it's fine apart from some weird issue going on with my Acer laptop. For some reason, when I click on some videos (not from YT, for example) after letting it in standby, it'll crash and reboot. Didn't happen on W10. But I read this is a problem with this laptop model.

saintjules

I'd like to run Win 11 at some point. I just have to find out if my virtual instrument plugins in my DAW will all work correctly in the new OS.

T4keD0wN

No way, theres still an option to switch to 10 ltsc or pay for updates and not having to deal with 11s bloat.

I see not having to deal with windows updates as one less nuisance, but fuck them for making security updates paid and saying 10 is the last OS, what a scummy thing to do.

Last edited:
My Windows machines have been on 11 since late last year. It's not terrible and the UI feels like a knockoff of Mac OS which is fine because I use mainly my MacBook Pro when I'm not gaming

Bojji

I hated W11 at first (for like a year) but eventually switched to it. It's ok.

Last edited:

squarealex

I'm already on Windows 11 (21H2).

I've never had any issues with this version (unlike Windows 10, which was very problematic at launch). The settings panel is perfect on W11, and the OS is more responsive.

However, some QoL features are missing because I'm still on the 2021 version. I decided to block any updates when 22H2 was released because, after my machine was updated, everything got worse. It became slower at boot, virtualization broke, and some apps wouldn't launch. I don't want to do a clean install every year. New Windows builds are still a nightmare when they force you to update.

The start bar is not bad and clean, unlike the mess we had with W10 (crap Metro). I'm still using a third-party app on my desktop (StartAllBack), but I leave the vanilla start bar on my laptop. (I like folders and minimalist design)

I still think Windows 11 21H2 is "perfect" for a modern Windows OS. The only problem is when Microsoft tries to install too much bloatware like Edge and Copilot (also on W10). I've already blocked all the spyware/telemetry crap.

The only issue with Windows (since 10) is that the AppData folder keeps getting bigger and bigger, presumably for security reasons. Now it's almost 100GB+. WTF.

So, in almost four years, I've never done a clean install on my PC (except for the 22H2 incident; I just used system restore) and my OS is still running great. I run Baldur's Gate 3 and Stable Diffusion without issues. (Python/CUDA installed). I got a new GPU (4060Ti 16GB) and it's working with no issues at all when installed.

But what Microsoft announced with Copilot+ and the new "Recall" system looks like a nightmare for privacy.

So my choice is to stay on 21H2. But if Microsoft somehow blocks the lifecycle of my W11 version (making Steam or software incompatible), then yeah, I think I'm going to leave Windows for Linux.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Upgraded day one, no issues other then the UI. Which is super easy to fix if you want. I saw no reason to stick with 10.

Will continue using Windows 10 for my gaming PC, MacOS on my laptop for basically everything else, and future plans will involve Linux unless Microsoft releases a worthy successor to Windows 10. Aka a repeat of the playbook after the Windows 8 debacle.

Griffon

With the deck and the laptop I've already started to make the switch to Linux. It works pretty good for gaming and everything else.
It's not quite at the same level of support and ease of use, but I'm nerdy enough to jump through the remaining small hoops.

Bets are my next desktop won't be on windows.

Oppoi

already on it, its really not that big of a deal, but then again i dont tinker with my shit all day everyday.
"It's not really that big of a deal" is the best sales pitch I could ever dream of for an upgrade. What did Sweeney say about MS buying Steam now again? Windows keep getting worse with more aggressive adverts and "whoops you're now using Edge and Bing" updates.

Edit. I know a better sales pitch that fits perfect: "It could be worse."

Last edited:

Mercador

Win11 is not as good as Win10 but it's mostly fine for one year or so. They are still messing up with HDR from time to time.

near

Gold Member
I don't really get attached to operating systems, and I enjoy trying out new updates. I installed Windows 11 ages ago on my PC, it works fine I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Skifi28

Gold Member
Even thought my mobo is relatively recent, it apparently doesn't support it. I can't be bothered to go for the unofficial route or find whatever the hardware add-on is called so I'll stay with 10 for as long as possible and maybe I'll consider going Linux and rid myself of Microsoft once and for all.

I run W11 from the day it launched and it is perfectly fine. Maybe even excellent.

So don't be a doofus and just upgrade you damn OS.
They made it quite difficult to upgrade for no real reason while 11 feels more like something that could have been a service pack instead of a real upgrade. I say fuck 'em.

Last edited:
Top Bottom