• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you upgrade to Windows 11 in 2025

What will you do after the end of support for Windows 10?

• I will continue to use Windows 10

Votes: 78 24.8%
  • I'm already using Windows 11

Votes: 176 55.9%
  • I will upgrade to Windows 11, but only on the last day

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • I will switch, or I'm already using, Linux, MacOS, or another OS.

Votes: 38 12.1%
  • I'm only on console and/or mobile, so I don't care.

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

Kssio_Aug

Windows 11 is great and the update is free so I don't get why some people want to stay on 10
Probably the same people that wouldn't upgrade from 8 to 10, and neither from 7 to 8, and neither from XP to Vista or 7. Just delaying the inevitable.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Win11 is not as good as Win10 but it's mostly fine for one year or so. They are still messing up with HDR from time to time.
In what way is Win11 worse than 10? I can't think of any. It's basically a refinement of 10, like 98 was to 95 or 7 was to Vista, but even then, not as big of a change as those.

I really don't like the direction MS has taken Windows, but they took that step in 10. If you're on 10, then I really don't see any reason to stay on 10.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
"It's not really that big of a deal" is the best sales pitch I could ever dream of for an upgrade. What did Sweeney say about MS buying Steam now again? Windows keep getting worse with more aggressive adverts and "whoops you're now using Edge and Bing" updates.

Edit. I know a better sales pitch that fits perfect: "It could be worse."
You do realize they can just put adverts in the previous os right? When I say it’s not a big deal i mean there is literally nothing wrong with it. Sounds like you’ve just been reading headlines and clickbait articles. Oh no windows 11 so spooky

Ceadeus

I ran into almost no problem using 11 since it launched. I don't do much complicated stuff thought.

I also like macOS it takes time to get the hang of it but the experience is almost lag free, bug free. The updates are non intrusive.

On windows, you got to make sure your drivers are up to date , windows update all the time. Sometime there are slowdowns etc..

I've seen a few people mention Auto HDR in this thread, but it's RTX HDR that's the real game changer.

It's great for games with no HDR support but also ones with bad HDR implementation like Cyberpunk as it will always "just work" and look (to my eyes at least) indistinguishable from a good native HDR implementation without the need to faff around with plugins like Special K. You can even use it in emulators to breathe new life into retro classics. I'd say it's worth upgrading to Windows 11 purely for RTX HDR. It basically allows you to just play anything and everything in HDR.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
In what way is Win11 worse than 10? I can't think of any. It's basically a refinement of 10, like 98 was to 95 or 7 was to Vista, but even then, not as big of a change as those.

I really don't like the direction MS has taken Windows, but they took that step in 10. If you're on 10, then I really don't see any reason to stay on 10.
Yeah Windows 11 is just Windows 10. I'm almost certain that it would have just been an update to Windows 10 but they needed to change the number because they needed a hard cut-off to introduce the TPM and secure boot stuff.

TheUsual

Gold Member
On my next PC, I'll probably go with Windows 11 but I'm seriously considering a dual boot system with a Linux distro. Never done that before but all this ad and telemetry garbage that Microsoft keeps slowly adding in is becoming a breaking point for me. I need to minimize somehow.

God knows what Google already knows from my Pixel usage. Can't win them all.

keefged4

I've seen a few people mention Auto HDR in this thread, but it's RTX HDR that's the real game changer.

It's great for games with no HDR support but also ones with bad HDR implementation like Cyberpunk as it will always "just work" and look (to my eyes at least) indistinguishable from a good native HDR implementation without the need to faff around with plugins like Special K. You can even use it in emulators to breathe new life into retro classics. I'd say it's worth upgrading to Windows 11 purely for RTX HDR. It basically allows you to just play anything and everything in HDR.
This is literally the only thing holding me back from going full Linux.

I'll probably see what paying bills on my iPad is like.
If I can do all my bills on iPad and pc gaming on the SteamDeck, not sure I'll care much about PC.

Roni

Gold Member
I'm sticking to Windows 10 until the key I bought stops working. Then I'm going the Linux route...

Last edited:

raduque

I have been using 11 for a long time now.

I used to be a big Microsoft fan. Owned several Surface machines (they really are the best kind of tablet, Android and iOS tablets are garbage in comparison), Xboxes, and the Xbox controller is the best controller, and there is no arguing this.

But...

I'll probably switch to Linux Mint when they roll out the perpetual screen recording crap to non- ARM architectures. I'll keep 11 on my gaming rig for PC gaming, but my main usage will shift to a laptop and a low-power desktop both running Linux.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Will you upgrade? Who is gonna give me money for a new pc to upgrade to this new win?

Apparently it doesn't support my core i7 6500u

f that

Mercador

It's ok now but at launch, it was a bit finicky. I still have issues with dual displays. Win10 was more stable or my memories are playing tricks on me.

used it with my last pc upgrade
looks purdy but the menu system sucks like win10

at this point, just make the control panel for advanced users (and include all reasonable settings there), and give everyone else an "AI search" with fancy animations.

King Dazzar

There was a time when I used to get excited for a new OS. Instead these days, I just wonder what shit is coming with the latest update.

Last OS related thing I enjoyed was installing an Android emulator. Maybe one day I'll try the Linux route.

RickMasters

The only reason I haven’t is because I can’t be bothered. But I’ll have to if I want to be using all the latest drivers for the things I attach to my computer like my UAD apollo thunderbolt interfaces and my electronic music instruments.

For now as long as they keep making W10 drivers I’ll keep using it till end of the year at least.

RickMasters

u might to need enable TPM 2.0 in BIOS unless ur comp is 5 years or older

I need to do this aswell. My MOBOs are X299 and Z390 ( built them both back in 2020) both ASUS prime models.I just can’t be bothered. But I’ll have to at some point this year. I think anybody who uses their computers for productivity/ content creation of any kind will probably make the jump.

drotahorror

Probably the same people that wouldn't upgrade from 8 to 10, and neither from 7 to 8, and neither from XP to Vista or 7. Just delaying the inevitable.
I'm on a i7 6700k. It's not supported, otherwise I would have done so already. Can't remember the reason why it's not supported but my way below average laptop got the upgrade message and I installed it last year sometime.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm on a i7 6700k. It's not supported, otherwise I would have done so already. Can't remember the reason why it's not supported but my way below average laptop got the upgrade message and I installed it last year sometime.

You can easily bypass the TPM requirements for Win11

Running widows 11 since 1,5 years when building my new PC and it ran fine for me.

Was really surprised that even with just an old Windows 7 edition I still could do the free upgrade.

Top Bottom