• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you upgrade to Windows 11 in 2025

What will you do after the end of support for Windows 10?

• I will continue to use Windows 10

Votes: 78 24.8%
  • I'm already using Windows 11

Votes: 176 55.9%
  • I will upgrade to Windows 11, but only on the last day

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • I will switch, or I'm already using, Linux, MacOS, or another OS.

Votes: 38 12.1%
  • I'm only on console and/or mobile, so I don't care.

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

Mithos

Only if AMD/Nvidia also stop supporting Windows 10 at that same time.
Otherwise 2032 or when AMD/Nvidia bows out.

AND also ONLY if I still want to play games on PC at that time, otherwise Linux of some kind.

Last edited:

hinch7

Features for the sake of features, i don't need them anyway. Don't fix what isn't broken, will stick to Windows 10.
The UI is not massively different, with some tweaks. Will take you like a day or two to get used to it.

I would think more about security by not switching. Seeing as there won't be any more security updates for it.

proandrad

After refusing to switch to w11, autoHDR got me to switch. Now using it for half a year I have come to accept its the same shit, so you might as well use the shit that is going to continue getting security updates. Actually I get slightly better frametimes with w11, so slightly better shit.

badblue

So don't be a doofus and just upgrade you damn OS.
I need to get new hardware in order to install Windows 11.

It's currently finically unfeasible for me to upgrade and I bet there a millions of other people out there facing the same issue. I don't foresee next year being any better.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
My main pc is already Win11, but I guess I'll have to bend over and think of England in regards to my laptops.

Can't wait for the bullshit that will follow.

StereoVsn

I voted that I already have Win11, but that’s only for my gaming PC and ROG Ally. And even with these I have to remove bunch of telemetry.

For regular computer functions I have a Mac.

dave_d

Probably not. I'm not even sure if it will even get into beta by 2025. What do you mean it's in full release? It's a Microsoft product, it doesn't really hit beta until 3-5 years after they let the public use it, you know like Windows 10.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've been using Windows 11 for a couple of years on all but one of my Windows machines and it has been fine. I changed the display settings to put the task bar back like it was in Windows 10 and updated the registry to show the old right click menu as the default and it has been pretty much the same as 10 for me. I can see why some people are hesitant to update, though.

I’ve been using W11 since release. Honestly, no issues whatsoever. At one point, I was dual booting windows 11 and macOS (using open core) and everything was running great. No issues or complaints 🤷🏽‍♂️

Windows 10 is still the most used OS in the world, but Microsoft will end support on October 14, 2025.
This means no more bug fixes, fewer security updates, no new features.

So the question is: Will you upgrade to Windows 11? Change to another OS? Or continue to use Windows 10.

Will move to windows 12 which should be out by then.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Got it when I built my new PC about 2 years ago. Never had an issue. Don't see why it would be so hard for someone to upgrade to it. Precious, I guess.
People love bitching about new versions of Windows for some reason. Never noticed any negatives of upgrading myself. Maybe I don't use enough obscure features to notice?

Shubh_C63

The UI is not massively different, with some tweaks. Will take you like a day or two to get used to it.

I would think more about security by not switching. Seeing as there won't be any more security updates for it.
Whatever small changes there are, I really dislike its UI also, the middle icon especially. Atleast they fixed the awful Settings page of Win10.

Probably will have to switch due to no security updates sometime, because it is something I really don't know if I am at risk or not.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you've already made the jump into Windows 10 I see absolutely no reason to stay there. Windows 11 is just the same thing but more refined and consistent.

Whatever small changes there are, I really dislike its UI also, the middle icon especially. Atleast they fixed the awful Settings page of Win10.

Probably will have to switch due to no security updates sometime, because it is something I really don't know if I am at risk or not.
You can move it to its normal position.

Kupfer

Since Win11 won't run ob my system, I will have to stick with 10 or move over to Linux ... Got Mint on my Laptop already. I don't know about my desktop yet, it's a problem for the future me.

b0uncyfr0

If youre a gamer, you really should be on Win 11 by now. There are simply too any improvements

AutoHDR, Win UI improvements, Directstorage etc..

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
The OS itself is perfectly fine. I think most people who hesitate care a lot about their privacy and data security. Microsoft has been slowly refactoring this piece of software from a customer/business focused operating system into a glorified data collection spy service. Under the surface built from many years of doing honest business, it's now not much more than a tool to gather information meant to be used for targeted ads.

Soodanim

I'll probably just get 11 with my next build for forward thinking's sake, but I'll strip it back either with installable programs or one of those more intensive OS mod things.

But I'm going to dual boot into Linux as well. I want a leaner OS. I've played with Mint for a little bit, but I need to see what else is out there.

Denton

I might switch to Win12 because that should be a good version again judging by the standard MS cycle. Although with their focus on AI nonsense and all the spycraft they involve, I would prefer to just stay on 10.

Codeblew

I have dual boot Linux/Windows on my current machine. I only boot into Windows once every 2-3 months as it is. My next machine will be only Linux. If I need windows for something, I will run in a QEMU VM.

I'd like to run Win 11 at some point. I just have to find out if my virtual instrument plugins in my DAW will all work correctly in the new OS.
Mine work fine in Windows 11. Using the software that comes with Focusrite devices, Reaper, and all the Native instruments software.

LooseLips

I've been using Windows 11 for a couple of years on all but one of my Windows machines and it has been fine. I changed the display settings to put the task bar back like it was in Windows 10 and updated the registry to show the old right click menu as the default and it has been pretty much the same as 10 for me. I can see why some people are hesitant to update, though.
Basically all of the above. Been no dramas for me. No, real benefit either, though. I switched so I could use that fancy Direct Memory thing for games - super fast access like PS5 and XSX. not aware of any of my games which use it, though 🤷‍♂️

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have a ton of software installed and would feel very lazy about having to reinstall all of it again and setting up all that shit.

I'd rather stay with Windows 10. I like playing old games too, who knows if Windows 11 breaks the compatibility with any of those.

Drell

I run W11 from the day it launched and it is perfectly fine. Maybe even excellent.

Yeah I'm just going to upgrade my perfectly fine hardware to have tpm and one of the CPUs MS accept so that I can install their update, it's so easy.

Top Bottom