• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabyskra

Banned
It's the fact that the Verge gave the 800 a 7.9 and rated the software and ecosystem much higher than what the Verge rated the 900.(which got a 7.0)

Be consistent or don't but either way don't blame the readers when you aren't consistent and are full of shit.

Ooh, tough guy.

The same software can have one grade in late 2011 and another in early 2012.

Know what happened in between? ICS, android 4.0. And thousands more apps have come out for other ecosystems. The bar has been raised.

I say their reviewing is consistent.

That, and it was not the same reviewer. It's always a personal opinion. Chill.

Ooh, tough guy.

Know what happened in between? ICS, android 4.0. And thousands more apps have come out for other ecosystems. The bar has been raised.

lol, you call me tough guy and then end with telling me to chill? Pretty sure that's all that needs to be said.

Unless you are a Verge employee, can't find a decent way for someone to defend this review other than being a douche, so I hope The Verge pays well man.

Doffen

Ooh, tough guy.

Windows Phone Marketplace has grown over 20.000 apps since the Lumia 800 launch.

AnkitT

So... Sidestepping the drama for a bit, is anyone else having a problem with Facebook sharing on certain apps? On Weave and Flud, when I connect to Facebook, it just shows a white screen with "success" on top(after I've entered my username and password). Flud crashes after that, but weave just stays on the "success" screen. A google search about this turns up nothing, so I thought I'd ask y'all. Help?

Edit: problem solved. Disabling secure HTTPS browsing fixed it.

Doffen

So... Sidestepping the drama for a bit, is anyone else having a problem with Facebook sharing on certain apps? On Weave and Flud, when I connect to Facebook, it just shows a white screen with "success" on top(after I've entered my username and password). Flud crashes after that, but weave just stays on the "success" screen. A google search about this turns up nothing, so I thought I'd ask y'all. Help?

Edit: problem solved. Disabling secure HTTPS browsing fixed it.

Glad it worked out for you :)

Totakeke

It's ironic how some people keep trumpeting ICS as solving Android's usability issues and then to turn around and say Mango is outdated considering the rate of adoption of ICS so far

Troll

Banned
Hey guys, I don't mean to look like a slacker with that .gif I just had some personal things come up that really suck, now I am dealing with a bunch of shit and I really haven't felt like finishing it. :( Sorry guys.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The crazy thing is that ICS, iOS5, and Mango are actually contemporaries. All 3 were released last fall, but only two companies were successful in getting it out to all phones. And now Josh and that poster above want to act like Windows Phone stood still while ICS and ios5 took the world by storm.

I don't see the One X score suffering because all Google has done since ICS came out is bug fixes, not to mention having to pull back ICS updates after massive problems arose. NoDo caused a huge hubbub with tech sites, yet that rollout puts the massive ICS clusterfuck to shame. Has the Sprint version of the officially sanctioned Nexus S gotten the ICS ota yet?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I wonder if all Windows Phones have internal microsd cards? Watched a video where an HD7 was taken apart and upgraded to 32GB since it has an internal memory slot. Sucks that you have to void your warranty just getting to it. I hope WP8 phones have expandable storage.

PG2G

Alot of the first Gen ones were microsd, I dont think any mango phones are though. The leaks have said that wp8 will support microsd

maeh2k

I'm not really offended by the verge review. I can absolutely see why the phone is a 7.0 to Josh. But at the same time I think it's more like an 8.5 to most people who are in the market for a new phone (and it's near-perfect for first-time smartphone owners).
I think, a lot of these tech bloggers have different requirements of their phones than regular customers do. For most people it's just a phone; for them it's their job. I recently listened to a verge mobile podcast where one of the guys said that he'd never keep a phone for more than six months. That's just not the case with regular phone owners.

However, I thought he was way too harsh in a couple of places. For example his criticism of twitter on windows phone.

Microsoft offers Twitter integration, but it's so clunky, it would almost be better to not include it at all.

For me personally, it's pretty much the opposite. I love the twitter/facebook integration. I don't get a lot of direct messages on twitter but mostly use it to read the timeline and retweet things I consider interesting.
Windows Phone does this really well. So well, in fact, that I don't need an extra twitter app.
For heavy twitter users like Josh there are some pretty good twitter apps available and you don't need to link twitter to the phone if you don't want to.

He was also pretty harsh on the OS / ecosystem. I don't know that kind of improvements he expects in the couple of months since the Lumia 800. The number of available apps is rising constantly and some of the more high-profile apps are also on their way. E.g. Skype and Audible are both in beta.
When you consider that some new Android phones are still shipping with 2.3 and that some older Android devices have to wait 9 months to get 4.0…

It's unfortunate that we didn't get a significant update with Tango, since they focused on different markets, but that stuff is important, too.

I thought his defense of the review on the podcast was pretty useless. Having random people call wasn't the best choice here. I would have preferred a real discussion with a guest who likes Windows Phone.

I thought his defense of the review on the podcast was pretty useless. Having random people call wasn't the best choice here. I would have preferred a real discussion with a guest who likes Windows Phone.

He always says he wants to get "the Microsoft guy they hired to appear less biased*" (i.e. Tom Warren) on the podcast, but never does it. I wonder why.

JaggedSac

Went to AT&T yesterday with the fiancee to look at a Lumia 900. The store here was decked out in signage for the device, which was neat. They didn't have a unit on display but I asked the store rep if we could play with his device. Very nice phone. Store rep said he hated the phone the first day he used it and wanted to chunk it, but after he got used to how WP functions, he said he likes it. Wasn't overly enthused, but said it was faster than his android phone he was using. None of the reps at the store had the cyan one so I couldn't get a look at that one. Fiancee ended up wanted to wait for either the white one, or a pink one that might come for Mother's Day.

Tom's in London.

Oh, you're right. I wish there was some sort of technology that would allow us to transfer his image and voice from London to New York and then to the rest of the audience. Apple should invent some revolutionary technology like that.

giga

Oh, you're right. I wish there was some sort of technology that would allow us to transfer his image and voice from London to New York and then to the rest of the audience. Apple should invent some revolutionary technology like that.
Tom has called in before on the podcast.

Commodore

And they should do it FAST because this Lumiareviewgate was so close to dying, but then they podcasted about it. /facepalm

I think as someone who has learned to appreciate the new platform, if most reviews had the same complaints as Josh had, the same beef about the app inconsistency, of how slow MS has been to iterate to keep up with the successful platforms, or to have that perception, then I would have likely found myself angry with Microsoft for being stupid with a really good idea. But most reviews rated the phone as good to glowing, or were fairly balanced in their complaints and praise, and were able to acknowledge where the platform shines. And so meh. He maybe had himself an agenda, I don't pretend to assume, of either discounting MS's effort or trying to get MS to move faster. Or he didn't. But for some reason this whole thing reminds me of Ratatouille's critic monologue, “In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talents, new creations. The new needs friends."

Whether you think MS needed or pass or not, or that a bunch of tech bloggers got together and agreed, hey we're giving MS a pass for being new(looking at the majority of the Lumia 900 reviews, NOPE) the fact remains, they saw some inconsistencies across the major platforms and created a unique UI that did a few things better. And as a result a few of them have been adopted by the bigger platforms. So its all good. App consistency is erratic. App availability is limited. It's a new, immature platform. When you compare it to the bigger platforms, you'll find things that are lacking. But in my opinion, you celebrate fresh takes in this industry. As a consumer, for the most part, that's why I'm here. /shrug

dream

But it's not like Josh's review is the only one with complaints -- almost every review I've read says it's a decent phone with some caveats.

AllThingsD:
I was underwhelmed by the battery life, the browser, and the quality of its photos.

Ars:
The browser is based on IE9, the desktop version of which has won a lot of praise. But the browser on the Lumia 900 does sometimes feel janky when it comes to text rendering. Mobile browsers resize text and alter page layouts in some subtle ways in an attempt to ensure greater readability. IE 9's algorithm has some oddities not found in Safari's approach.
A few fixes in Windows Phone could go a long way to bringing it up to par with iOS and Android in that respect. As of right now, it's still a little too much form over function to beat them at the game they invented.

Gizmodo:
Of the paltry top-tier apps available, many need polish—Spotify wouldn't work on my Lumia at all, an issue AT&T is aware of. These are charges you can level at all Windows Phones, but in the case of the Lumia's gemlike form, it's a particularly sore spot. When you snap the 900 awake, you feel like you're holding the state of the art. And you sort of are. But then you realize how quickly you run into the software dead ends, and you cringe. The software needs updating. The Lumia 900 is hobbled mostly by factors out of its control.

Engadget:
While we wouldn't color this AT&T debut as a failure, we wouldn't call it a crowning achievement either. Apart from a stated preference and dedication to Microsoft's Windows Phone OS, savvy geeks on the cusp of the next best thing won't necessarily want what the 900 has to offer, especially in light of that other spotlight-stealing flagship, the One X. By no means are these phones on equal footing.

Are these dealbreakers? Maybe not. But I think people are focusing too much on Josh's bedside manner and completely overlooking the validity of the problems he brings up.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i have never understood the fascination with apps. I honestly don't use that much on iOS. I plan on switching to WP toward the end of the year/beginning of 2013 so i have been keeping an eye on what my needs are. Here are the apps i have installed on iOS:

HippoRemote - Alternatives on WP
Pandora - Third Party Alternatives on WP
Tweetbot - Built into the OS - Official App - Third Party Apps
LatestChatty - Available on WP
MLB At Bat - Available on WP
Downcast - WP Built in Support does what i want from this
DropBox - Third Party Alternatives (by the time i switch i will be using Skydrive for everything anyway).

Reeder - Alternatives on WP. Wonder Reader looks nice.
Trillian - MSN will be fine.
Video Stream - Alternatives on WP.
OneNote - Built in.
Skydrive - Built in.
Google Auth - Third Party Apps.
Skype - I think i'm pretty confident the company that owns the software will get it working on their own platform.

Weather Channel - Available on WP, Alternatives too.
Blizzard Auth - Available on WP.

Games: (i rarely play games on my phone)

Uno - Available on WP.
Tetris - Available on WP.
Monkey Island - Not Available (never play it anyway)
Out of the Park Baseball - Not Available (never play it anyway)

anyway, besides games which i rarely play since i would rather browse the web i don't see a problem with WP's app situation. The most important app to me is the web browser, and it looks like IE runs fine.

it looks like the app ecosystem is gonig to improve a lot with the update at the end of the year anyway.

Commodore

Right, but I think Gabyskra's (and Josh's, I guess) point is WP7 isn't getting the top tier best-in-class apps.

You're right, they aren't. It's piece of the pie in the market is teeny tiny, app devs hardly feel any pull, and in many cases, don't have the resources to make an app for a fledgling platform. MS is blatently moneyhatting marque app devs, they have to. Their lack of apps is the biggest gaping hole in their platform. But app growth is solid, marketshare will grow with a mass market appealing, ad backed phone at the helm now. They've opened up new, BIG, markets across the world with affordable phones, it's all bound to gain some pull finally as a legitimate third player.

Commodore

But it's not like Josh's review is the only one with complaints -- almost every review I've read says it's a decent phone with some caveats. Are these dealbreakers? Maybe not. But I think people are focusing too much on Josh's bedside manner and completely overlooking the validity of the problems he brings up.

Don't think so, at least for me. For me, his complaints outweighed any mention of legitimate positives. It was lopsided and overly negative. That has nothing to do with how his complaints which ARE legitimate, it has more to do with how he sidestepped the platform's strengths.

Are these dealbreakers?
IE may be a deal breaker for me. I can manage with few apps, but a solid browser is a necessity.

All these mixed reviews are making it difficult to decide on WP7.

Maybe I'll get a Lumia 710 off contract for a few months to act as a Mango a test run of sorts, while waiting for Apollo/iPhone 5

Doffen

Right, but I think Gabyskra's (and Josh's, I guess) point is WP7 isn't getting the top tier best-in-class apps.

So Windows Phone has to have every single iPhone and Android app to become relevant? There’s a great deal of top selling Windows Phone apps which is not to be found on App Store or Google Play.

Sean

Banned
Being on Forbes' rich people list is unique. Being a tech blogger? No so much.

Although Josh defended himself in an extremely douchey way, being a tech journalist does put him in a more unique position than the average consumer.

He gets sent all the latest devices and has extensive experience with each of the mobile OS's. He's in a good position to accurately compare platforms which is more than most people (who are locked into contracts) can say.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
IE may be a deal breaker for me. I can manage with few apps, but a solid browser is a necessity.

IE on Windows Phone is a solid browser. Try it out at a local store and see for yourself. Its fast and smooth.

He gets sent all the latest devices and has extensive experience with each of the mobile OS's.

Quite the contrary, he gets fleeting experiences with the various OS' and devices because he's always moving on to the next big thing. Jack of all trades is a master of none. Ultimately, the site would've been better served by having Tom or someone else review the device, then having Josh write an editorial explaining why he thinks iOS and Android are better than WP7 and why MS needs to move more quickly. That would've been a valid and interesting read, but it was out of place in the review. He basically turned the review into an editorial, which is a disservice to Nokia or WP7 fans who are considering upgrading to that device.

His review hit on some very important points, but its laughable to suggest that he is more qualified to review that phone than someone who uses the OS as the daily driver. His review is not useful for average users, nor is it useful for folks who use the platform as their daily driver. Who it SHOULD have been useful for is tech savvy folks who read niche sites like the Verge, but because he chose the review to write an editorial, those folks really didn't get much meat on the virtues of the device and ecosystem.

Dazzla

We all need to remember there is a massive market out there for all types of users. Not just us power users here.

My Dad has just been given a Samsung D900 hand me down as a first mobile phone and he's struggling like hell. I showed him the Lumia 710 and he got it instantly, I'll probably end up giving this to him. It's amazing how unintuitive feature phones are.

Pin phone, messaging, camera and a few contacts to the home screen and he was set. It was amazing.

I'd be reluctant to give him an Android phone. I've had many in my time (including recently a Galaxy Nexus) but I would worry that he would just get lost in it.

There are millions (if not billions) out there who would love a slick, easy to use phone. WP is just as competitive when it comes to that. I showed my Dad an iPhone as well and he actually preferred the look and feel of WP.

At the same time my Mum actually commented that the 710 seemed nicer than her 3GS and she might switch. But I told her no. She is too ingrained with their eco system and there simply isn't the volume of choice she expects.

Hopefully WP8 does a lot for the eco system, should be a no brainer developing for that as long as Microsoft makes it easy enough to cross develop between tablets, PCs and phone. The future is rosy, it just seems to be taking so damn long!

Commodore

All these mixed reviews are making it difficult to decide on WP7.

Maybe I'll get a Lumia 710 off contract for a few months to act as a Mango a test run of sorts, while waiting for Apollo/iPhone 5

I came from iPhone land (3GS), but I've rarely had any problems, and if I did, it was highly inconsistent to the point where I won't remember now in hindsight. ;) Just go to the store with some demo units and open pages like mad.

GJS

I've had a better experience with the WP7 browser than I had with the Android 2.2 browser or Dolphin browser HD in terms of usability and bugs. IE always seems to load pages quickly and it handles them well too. I haven't really run into any of the problems with lag and crashing that I seemed to always run into on Android 2.2 either.

Obviously I can't compare to how the latest Android phones and browsers fare though.

maeh2k

IE in Windows Phone seems pretty solid to me. Never had any issues with how it displays websites. I wouldn't worry too much.

@joshuatopolsky: Can anyone explain how Instagram is using a One X to advertise the service, but it doesn't work with a One X?

looks like the Android software/ecosystem isn't perfect, either :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
looks like the Android software/ecosystem isn't perfect, either :)

One of the callers to the Vergecast brought up the point about fragmentation being an issue for developers on Android, and Josh wrote it off, saying that's no longer a problem for devs. Whoops.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
One of the callers to the Vergecast brought up the point about fragmentation being an issue for developers on Android, and Josh wrote it off, saying that's no longer a problem for devs. Whoops.

kkrlW.png

i dunno what your talking about. i see no problems here. none.

Commodore

i have never understood the fascination with apps. I honestly don't use that much on iOS. I plan on switching to WP toward the end of the year/beginning of 2013 so i have been keeping an eye on what my needs are. Here are the apps i have installed on iOS: it looks like the app ecosystem is gonig to improve a lot with the update at the end of the year anyway.

Basically what I ended up doing over a year and a half ago, and even at that stage I was surprised by the amount of apps that were available that I felt were essential. To this day there is still only two apps that I still feel are big apps that I used to have and still aren't here. Mint and Chase banking. But looks like you did your homework. Enjoy the platform when you get yourself a phone.

Gotta love how Joshua is both an Apple fanboy and an Android fanboy.

At some point you have to admit that he just likes quality software, and Windows Phone isn't cutting it for him.

All of his complaints are valid.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up iStunt 2. Pretty fun game. Controls nicely too. Recommend giving the trial a try at the very least.

derFeef

At some point you have to admit that he just likes quality software, and Windows Phone isn't cutting it for him.

Now I have heard everything... WP is non quality software.

Nero3000

Quite the contrary, he gets fleeting experiences with the various OS' and devices because he's always moving on to the next big thing. Jack of all trades is a master of none. Ultimately, the site would've been better served by having Tom or someone else review the device, then having Josh write an editorial explaining why he thinks iOS and Android are better than WP7 and why MS needs to move more quickly. That would've been a valid and interesting read, but it was out of place in the review. He basically turned the review into an editorial, which is a disservice to Nokia or WP7 fans who are considering upgrading to that device.

His review hit on some very important points, but its laughable to suggest that he is more qualified to review that phone than someone who uses the OS as the daily driver. His review is not useful for average users, nor is it useful for folks who use the platform as their daily driver. Who it SHOULD have been useful for is tech savvy folks who read niche sites like the Verge, but because he chose the review to write an editorial, those folks really didn't get much meat on the virtues of the device and ecosystem.

Nailed it. Exactly my thoughts.

I watched a few minutes of the podcast, and couldn't stomach much more than that. Josh came out very bad in my eyes, he took the criticism very personally, even though he knew that that review was going to provoke this kind of reaction. When you expect that kind of reaction, something should click that maybe the review is not as fair as it could be.

For what it's worth, I think windows phone is a fantastic mobile operating system that does a number of things much better than the competion, and lags in other areas:

Best in class:

- music experience
- social network integration
- developer environment (visual studio)
- productivity (office, email)
- performance
- mandatory two-stage camera button

Solid:

- web browser
- UX (interface and experience)
- cloud integration
- update strategy
- bing search (music, image, vision, local scout)

Areas for development:

- backup and device migration
- windows integration
- courting 3rd party developers

If windows 8 sells as well as I think it will, then developers will target winRT for their applications, which will port to windows phone 8. Windows phone 8 should also bring other items to the table, such as an updated hardware spec, more thought out backup & cloud integration and just general all around improvement. Wp8 should fill in any areas of weakness and push further areas of strength.

Firestorm

Eh, I disagree on browser. My iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry all had better browsers. I've hit sites that don't display correctly more often than on the other phones. It using the system version of Bing and not letting me set it to Google when i search using the address bar also annoys me. Also, forward button please...

For music player I wish it displayed cover art or something if Zune doesn't have artist info.

dream

IE on Windows Phone is a solid browser. Try it out at a local store and see for yourself. Its fast and smooth.

The problem with this, though, is that The Verge isn't a Windows Phone 7 fan site with a corresponding audience that is already sold on the platform and just wants to know how the Lumia 900 compares to the Focus S. His audience wants to know how the Lumia 900 performs as a platform, and comparisons to other platforms are unavoidable on that basis.

Nah, he is just like you and the rest of the troll here, still butthurt about MS and Nokia.

Nero3000

Eh, I disagree on browser. My iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry all had better browsers. I've hit sites that don't display correctly more often than on the other phones. It using the system version of Bing and not letting me set it to Google when i search using the address bar also annoys me. Also, forward button please...

For music player I wish it displayed cover art or something if Zune doesn't have artist info.

IE9 mobile is leagues ahead of the blackberry browser (i have both and use only one). I suppose the only real areas that IE9 lags iOS/Android is http live streaming support and proper support on the webside (eg serving html5 video rather than flash, even thought they do that for iOS).

The problem with this, though, is that The Verge isn't a Windows Phone 7 fan site with a corresponding audience that is already sold on the platform and just wants to know how the Lumia 900 compares to the Focus S. His audience wants to know how the Lumia 900 performs as a platform, and comparisons to other platforms are unavoidable on that basis.

I think the verge crosses the line into op-ed territory rather than a fact based comparison (see: anandtech).

Firestorm

IE9 mobile is leagues ahead of the blackberry browser (i have both and use only one). I suppose the only real areas that IE9 lags iOS/Android is http live streaming support and proper support on the webside (eg serving html5 video rather than flash, even thought they do that for iOS).]
Which BlackBerry? I found my Bold 9900 to be quite a bit better than my Samsung Focus. If you're talking about OS5 obviously this is way better. Maybe even a bit better than OS6 as I found that hung a bit on certain sites. But the fact that certain elements of pages just don't load for me (not sure what it's not rendering) is really annoying. Mobile RedFlagDeals is the biggest culprit of the three sites I visit most on my phone.

Nero3000

Which BlackBerry? I found my Bold 9900 to be quite a bit better than my Samsung Focus. If you're talking about OS5 obviously this is way better. Maybe even a bit better than OS6 as I found that hung a bit on certain sites. But the fact that certain elements of pages just don't load for me (not sure what it's not rendering) is really annoying. Mobile RedFlagDeals is the biggest culprit of the three sites I visit most on my phone.

It's a company provided phone, so its a curve 9300 and probably BBOS6 (im not sure).

My exprience of web browsing on that phone is unbearable. It is way too slow in rendering, the small screen doesn't help and switiching tabs is so slow it is unusable.

To be fair i suspect all data traffic on that phone goes through encryption, and though my company's blackberry server which probably adds to the slowness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom