• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Most app developers would probably be better off still using the abstracted APIs for ease of development, but yes, certain use cases might require native code to perform well. Browsers, Skype, etc. I personally haven't noticed this scrolling issue. Can you give me an app example? I would like to download it and see if I am having the same issues. Have a feeling it is just poor development work.
The official twitter app or Facebook app is not nearly as smooth as the system's scrolling.

Nero3000

Gruber on the iphone lockscreen camera shortcut:

Gruber said:
So, in iOS 5.1, Apple changed it to an always-visible button on the lock screen. A reduction in elegance, but an increase in obviousness. To invoke the button, you must slide it upwards rather than simply tap it, for the same reason you must slide the unlock button rather than simply tap it: to avoid inadvertent invocation while the phone is in your pocket or purse. But if you do just tap on it, which is an obvious thing to try, you get a clever hint: the lock screen playfully jumps and bounces, suggesting visually that you can slide it upward. It’s not a gesture — you can’t swipe upwards from anywhere on the lock screen to invoke the shortcut — it’s a visual on-screen touch control. And it’s one of my favorite little touches from Apple in recent memory

JaggedSac

The official twitter app or Facebook app is not nearly as smooth as the system's scrolling.

Can't speak to the official twitter app, but the facebook app is quite smooth for me. They are performing some lazy loading of pictures and such so the list might bounce around a bit as things are loaded when needed while scrolling, but the actual scrolling with my finger is quite smooth.

Mehdoh(Twitter app I use) performs lazy loading and it is quite smooth as well.

What phone do you have?

Regardless, app scrolling isn't something native code access should fix. Developers shouldn't have to write their own scroll controls to get good performance. That is MS's deliverable.

giga

Can't speak to the official twitter app, but the facebook app is quite smooth for me. They are performing some lazy loading of pictures and such so the list might bounce around a bit as things are loaded when needed while scrolling, but the actual scrolling with my finger is quite smooth.

Mehdoh(Twitter app I use) performs lazy loading and it is quite smooth as well.

What phone do you have?
Focus. It's not "choppy" like an Android phone, but it doesn't have the same feel as when I'm scrolling through something like my contacts list or anywhere else on the system.

Doffen

There's a few Xbox Live games on sale for 0.99

Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp
Doodle God
Burn the Rope
IonBallEX
Angry Birds
de Blob
Max & the Magic Marker

I don't know how long they will stay on sale.

Sorry if it's old news.

JaggedSac

There's a few Xbox Live games on sale for 0.99

Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp
Doodle God
Burn the Rope
IonBallEX
Angry Birds
de Blob
Max & the Magic Marker

I don't know how long they will stay on sale.

Sorry if it's old news.

Awesome, thanks.

giga said:
Focus. It's not "choppy" like an Android phone, but it doesn't have the same feel as when I'm scrolling through something like my contacts list or anywhere else on the system.

Ok, I am on a Titan which, I believe, is clocked higher than the 1st gen phones. So that could be it as well.

MarkusRJR

I posted this in the Android OT also. It's relevant (in a sense) and I need help asap. That and well, it's really not worthy of a new thread.

GAF I NEED HELP ASAP! D:

Okay, so I was planning on buying a Samsung Galaxy Note in May (as I get paid on the first day of every month) but my current blackberry went out the window... literally. A friend pushed me when we were on the highway (I was in the back seat and all out windows were open) and my phone flew out the window. We turned around to get it, but someone must've run over it because it was in pieces.

As I need a phone on a near daily basis I switched over to my old blackberry (the original pearl). It can do texts and email only (the device has contant memory leaks for anyone who hasn't used one before, so apps aren't really possible) and the microphone is busted so I can't do calls. I can only use this piece of shit for so long, so I'm going to upgrade to a new phone ASAP. It can't be a high end phone because I can't afford one until next pay check.

Here's where I'm planning on buying it from (I don't know many other places to buy unlocked phones via paypal). I need's to have 850/1900 or it won't work. I don't really care what OS it runs as long as it's stable and relatively speedy. It needs to be under or around $400 (without shipping). If I have to I'd be willing to go up to $500, because this phone needs to last me until the end of the year.

I don't really know what are some good budget phones (as I was a blackberry user for so long and didn't stray much), but a few noticeable stand-outs to me were the HTC Surround (only $200) and HTC HD7S ($300). The only reason for those two is that I remember hearing that Windows Phone 7 hasn't really updated their specs since launch that much, so the old phones are still speedy.

If anyone knows any other good places to find unlocked budget/midrange smartphones that take paypal, that would be nice. They have to ship to Canada too. All I can think of off the top of my head is Newegg.ca.

TLDR: My phone broke and I need a cheap unlocked smartphone from an online store that ships to Canada. It has to be from somewhere that takes paypal. I don't care what OS it runs, but it must be stable and relatively speedy. It must have 850/1900 bands and it must be less than $500.

EDIT: Just found noticed you can buy an unlocked Sony Xperia Play on amazon. Are they any good?

Commodore

I posted this in the Android OT also. It's relevant (in a sense) and I need help asap. That and well, it's really not worthy of a new thread.

GAF I NEED HELP ASAP! D:

Okay, so I was planning on buying a Samsung Galaxy Note in May (as I get paid on the first day of every month) but my current blackberry went out the window... literally. A friend pushed me when we were on the highway (I was in the back seat and all out windows were open) and my phone flew out the window. We turned around to get it, but someone must've run over it because it was in pieces.

As I need a phone on a near daily basis I switched over to my old blackberry (the original pearl). It can do texts and email only (the device has contant memory leaks for anyone who hasn't used one before, so apps aren't really possible) and the microphone is busted so I can't do calls. I can only use this piece of shit for so long, so I'm going to upgrade to a new phone ASAP. It can't be a high end phone because I can't afford one until next pay check.

Here's where I'm planning on buying it from (I don't know many other places to buy unlocked phones via paypal). I need's to have 850/1900 or it won't work. I don't really care what OS it runs as long as it's stable and relatively speedy. It needs to be under or around $400 (without shipping). If I have to I'd be willing to go up to $500, because this phone needs to last me until the end of the year.

I don't really know what are some good budget phones (as I was a blackberry user for so long and didn't stray much), but a few noticeable stand-outs to me were the HTC Surround (only $200) and HTC HD7S ($300). The only reason for those two is that I remember hearing that Windows Phone 7 hasn't really updated their specs since launch that much, so the old phones are still speedy.

If anyone knows any other good places to find unlocked budget/midrange smartphones that take paypal, that would be nice. They have to ship to Canada too. All I can think of off the top of my head is Newegg.ca.

TLDR: My phone broke and I need a cheap unlocked smartphone from an online store that ships to Canada. It has to be from somewhere that takes paypal. I don't care what OS it runs, but it must be stable and relatively speedy. It must have 850/1900 bands and it must be less than $500.

Uh, unlocked first gen Samsung Focus' go for around $130-150 used. Would likely be a great interim phone till you get something else.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

GAF I NEED HELP ASAP! D:

EDIT: Just found noticed you can buy an unlocked Sony Xperia Play on amazon. Are they any good?
you could try nokia lumia 710. what network are you on?

giga

Uh, unlocked first gen Samsung Focus' go for around $130-150 used. Would likely be a great interim phone till you get something else.
Yeah, except you don't even need to buy it unlocked since unlock codes on ebay are like $2. Buy a used focus on ebay for like $120 or so.

Milchjon

Is that "death grip" video without voices some kind of meta joke, or did they fuck it up? Or does it work for anyone else?

Milchjon

That's like the funniest fuck up that could possibly happen. "Everyone elses stuff doesn't work the way it's supposed to be! If you had an iPhone, you wouldn't be able to hear the voice on the other end!" -> No Audio.

Uhh, is it just my computer or do all of these new videos have no audio on people speaking?

Edit-Guess it's not just me, lol. There are two videos and they both have the same issue. Amazing fuck up.

PG2G

I still can't tell whether it is intended or not, haha.

LOL, at least I'm not in NYC. I'd be very upset if I was waiting to see Nicki Minaj after the garbage she just released

giga

Aaaaaaaand their ad's audio is messed up. http://youtu.be/_oyVFsWonzY
Oh Nokia..

B0Xtf.gif

So there is going to be two different tv campaigns for the phone, the beta test thing that Nokia is doing and ATT will be doing their own campaign. Going to be Lumia 900 overload on tv over the next month.

Edit- Don't know if it got mentioned but they are doing a new Windows Phone challenge. April 6th-12th, you go in and pick a random card that has a challenge on it. If you win you get a $1000 Microsoft Store gift card(10 per day), losers get a $25 gift card(250 per day)

Rules Link

Doffen

Anyone hate how apps are rarely updated?

Are developers also waiting for Apollo? Lol.

Well Microsoft just released the 7.1.1. SDK, so I believe some developers are tweaking their apps to fit the updates and make their apps work on Tango.

MarkusRJR

you could try nokia lumia 710. what network are you on?
I'm on MTS. All they have are blackberries and iPhones. The only decent (and cheapest) blackberry they have is the new curve (for $480 lol). When my upgrade period arrives I'm probably going to get a BB10 phone or an iPhone (I used to a be a huge blackberry fanboy so probably the prior).

I went on the Red Flag Deals and found out that Roger's is selling the Lumia 710 off contract for $230. If I were to buy a Lumia 710 and use one of those unlocking codes online should it work with my provider? I've never used one before so I'm not sure how to do it?

Also, how is the phone? I heard good things about Nokia's windows 7 phones but I don't know anything other than that. I just asked my brother and he said the Lumia 710's have been getting mixed reviews. :/

AnkitT

So I was out today on the interwebs trying to make heads and tails of the whole cloud offering for free situation, and nobody is offering 25gb of free space. So I just made another hotmail account and now I have moar space! Anyway wasn't there an article a few months back detailing the future of SkyDrive? Can't seem to find it.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I'm on MTS. All they have are blackberries and iPhones. The only decent (and cheapest) blackberry they have is the new curve (for $480 lol). When my upgrade period arrives I'm probably going to get a BB10 phone or an iPhone (I used to a be a huge blackberry fanboy so probably the prior).

I went on the Red Flag Deals and found out that Roger's is selling the Lumia 710 off contract for $230. If I were to buy a Lumia 710 and use one of those unlocking codes online should it work with my provider? I've never used one before so I'm not sure how to do it?

Also, how is the phone? I heard good things about Nokia's windows 7 phones but I don't know anything other than that. I just asked my brother and he said the Lumia 710's have been getting mixed reviews. :/

its good. but i am assuming your only gonna use it as a temp phone.

heres some info on it. also its pentaband
http://www.nokia.com/ca-en/products/phone/lumia710/specifications/

MarkusRJR

its good. but i am assuming your only gonna use it as a temp phone.

heres some info on it. also its pentaband
http://www.nokia.com/ca-en/products/phone/lumia710/specifications/
It's gonna last me 8 months. That's about half of what my phones usually last me. (I used to do 1 year contracts and pay the majority of the phone off, then upgrade whenever an interesting new blackberry would come out).

What're some good games to get on the phone anyway? I usually bring my iPod touch with me on the bus to play games/listen to podcasts but I won't need to after I pick up this phone.

And more importantly: How do I go about unlocking the phone? Can I use a visa gift card or paypal to pay for it online (I don't have a credit card)?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
It's gonna last me 8 months. That's about half of what my phones usually last me. (I used to do 1 year contracts and pay the majority of the phone off, then upgrade whenever an interesting new blackberry would come out).

What're some good games to get on the phone anyway? I usually bring my iPod touch with me on the bus to play games/listen to podcasts but I won't need to after I pick up this phone.

And more importantly: How do I go about unlocking the phone? Can I use a visa gift card or paypal to pay for it online (I don't have a credit card)?

your gonna have to ask a rogers rep about that.

MS app store. and that phone should last you at least a year if not longer.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/games?list=top

Ulairi

Banned
I ordered the Lumia 900 yesterday and I was hoping it would come today but it looks like I'll have it on Monday. I'm hoping it can replace my love of webOS.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I ordered the Lumia 900 yesterday and I was hoping it would come today but it looks like I'll have it on Monday. I'm hoping it can replace my love of webOS.

Ulairi
WEBOS USERS ARE ONLY FOOLING THEMSELVES

but yea. don't get your hopes up. wait for Apollo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom