• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Symphogear 12

YES!
Heartless
Hibiki is back!

This is one of the better penultimate episodes I've seen. Definitely the best one this season. Tsubasa was amazing. Her
flying up the tower
was something right out of DMC or Bayonetta. So epic. Kind of disappointed she upstaged
Heartless Hibiki
, but ah well.

The last few seconds with the main theme and the
yelling
has got me ridiculously hyped for next week. The finale better deliver after this intense display of hotbloodedness. Right now, this is extremely close to what I want out of a magical girl series and next week could be just what I need to start taking the genre seriously.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
According to darkside:

spoilers for manga(?)
The dude hooks up with main loli

Not quite!

While its true that Subaru wins Tomoka's mothers full approval and her dads approval in a non-assertive way, Aoi is still technically in the picture. But basically just Aoi is the only thing standing in the way. Poor Childhood Friends never know when to give it up.

But yeah Tomoka is gonna win, if Subaru decides to do it, cause she's a baller like that.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
tumblr_m1gt0sQc0V1qah0k3o1_500.gif

Cool gif. The loop's hard to notice.

zeroshiki

So I looked up the K-On rumors.

Apparently some guy on 2ch said that he works in a video rental store and in the release list there was a listing for "Eiga K-On" and "K-On Complete Box" to be released on 6/20.

Speculation is that the complete box contains both seasons + movie and of course the movie is just the movie. There is no info other than this, everything else is speculation so no idea about price, extras or actual details.

Symphogear 12

YES!
Heartless
Hibiki is back!

This is one of the better penultimate episodes I've seen. Definitely the best one this season. Tsubasa was amazing. Her
flying up the tower
was something right out of DMC or Bayonetta. So epic. Kind of disappointed she upstaged
Heartless Hibiki
, but ah well.

The last few seconds with the main theme and the
yelling
has got me ridiculously hyped for next week. The finale better deliver after this intense display of hotbloodedness. Right now, this is extremely close to what I want out of a magical girl series and next week could be just what I need to start taking the genre seriously.

I liked how she broke through/over Asgard as well as that part, it was cool.

Oh and Chris's character song released, yes, my favorite one after Zwei Wing.

wonzo

Banned
Tekkonkinkreet

Visually this was fantastic, the incredibly detailed backgrounds combined with the great animation (cept for the shitty cg cars) really made this a joy to watch. As for the plot I think it was about dualism, facing your inner demons, crime doesn't pay etc. I dunno, I was more focused on paying attention to the animation and background art to really care about the plot tbqh. Hell, I even noticed the Timeboy cartoon from Mind Game!

There comes a time in life when one is forced to choose between the side of good taste and the side of icarus-daedelus.
See, this guy chose. Er, wisely.
You sayin' there's something wrong about Glass Fleet?!
I felt so bad for alternate universe Yuki.
yeah,
kyon handing back the application form to yuki
was really hard to watch.
You can actually pinpoint the moment her heart breaks.
oh man :(
http://i.imgur.com/OGSNY.gif

. . . time to catch up on Lagrange.
so filthy!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Blue Gender 1-10: this series is by no means good or anything and at best, at times, a guilty pleasure. I kinda wanted to watch something with realistic mecha action but I probably should've given Takahashi's Armored Trooper Votoms priority. But this sounded good on paper: realistich mechas and a nice bleak setting. Turns out it's pretty weak. But since I've invested the time to watch the first 10 episodes I kinda want to finish it. It started out interesting enough: insectoid beings that basically consume anything that cross their path turn the world into a post-apocalyptic hell. Most of the organized remains of humanity have retreated to an enormous space station called 'Second Earth' and are in the business of shooting at the big insectoids with big guns on big Mecha. It's pretty gory stuff. But the characters are mostly flat anime tropes and the main storyline is still.. developing, I hope, after 10 episodes.

And then there's plot holes all over the place. At one point the jeep our heroes travel in gets properly trashed by a 'Blue' (the name the nom-nom-nomming everything insectoids are given) but after offing said Blue we see our heroes happily return to said vehicle. Also there's a base on earth supported by super high-tech unmanned robots that turn the blue into minced meat in mere seconds, but apparantly that's not really a good reason to, you know, stay there and have a perfect defence perimeter. So yeah, it's pretty bad but curiousity where it's all leading towards keeps me watching.

Noirulus

Ozuma - 01

Man, this show is ugly as hell. It's a shame because if the character designs weren't so terrible, i'd be able to take it more seriously.

I mean, just.. what? How did they even air this on TV? There's many more ugly examples where that came from.

Ozuma - 01

Man, this show is ugly as hell. It's a shame because if the character designs weren't so terrible, i'd be able to take it more seriously.

I mean, just.. what? How did they even air this on TV? There's many more ugly examples where that came from.

Even if the character art was competent, the show does nothing to make me invested in the characters and whatever struggle they're having. It's lazy all around.

Noirulus

Even if the character art was competent, the show does nothing to make me invested in the characters and whatever struggle they're having. It's lazy all around.

Yeah, the characters aren't interesting either. I've always had a soft spot for desert-themed fiction so I really tried to like it. Oh well.

Mirai Nikki 23
tumblr_m1gsl2pNwo1r1geyyo1_500.jpg

Im so shocked at the plot and its intricacies
How did Akise even figure that out, I got no hints like that the entire anime
but Yuki got cool.
It was like the ultimate Yuki x Yuno episodes, so much, and then the bedroom scene, what seemed to be implied and what took place was really not what I wanted, worst part of the series, and kind of unnecessary. Regardless, part with Murmur was cool and Yuki like powering up was so epic, my favorite scene for him, his expression, stance, and just way he and Murmur were looking at Yuno was so epic.

I was actually hoping he could have got the original Yuno to get up, that would have been so cool. Cant wait to see how he and Murmur bring Yuno down

I hope this series ends in an epic and shocking way with
Yuki
prevailing.

NewFresh

Tekkonkinkreet

Visually this was fantastic, the incredibly detailed backgrounds combined with the great animation (cept for the shitty cg cars) really made this a joy to watch. As for the plot I think it was about dualism, facing your inner demons, crime doesn't pay etc. I dunno, I was more focused on paying attention to the animation and background art to really care about the plot tbqh. Hell, I even noticed the Timeboy cartoon from Mind Game!

I was actually considering re-watching this the other day because I wanted to be reminded of how great the animation and design was. Like you said, the whole thing is a bit shallow due to the thin plot, but it's a really fun movie and you do end up caring about the characters.

trejo

HeartCatch Precure the Movie: Fashion Show in the Flower Capital... Really?!

Pretty much a beefed up episode of the show with nicer production values. Honestly, I thought the action was kinda lacking and was a little disappointed that they simply reused the stock transformation sequences. Also, pulling a
Genki Dama
as a finish move struck me as a little lazy.

It's still a somewhat enjoyable watch but I wouldn't really consider it required viewing.

Instro

HeartCatch Precure the Movie: Fashion Show in the Flower Capital... Really?!

Pretty much a beefed up episode of the show with nicer production values. Honestly, I thought the action was kinda lacking and was a little disappointed that they simply reused the stock transformation sequences. Also, pulling a
Genki Dama
as a finish move struck me as a little lazy.

It's still a somewhat enjoyable watch but I wouldn't really consider it required viewing.

Although its worth watching so you find out
who that dude with Dune was in the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
:( I planned on watching it 1 more time... but no time etc etc
zero, you need to learn from a real fan.

It needs vast amounts of panty shots like Sailor Moon.
Spats > panties.

messing around with my gif work. Trying to make things bigger without making file size too big.

http://i.minus.com/ibxXfwXxPRlLaG.gif

Yay! I summed up all the good about that POS SHOW! bwaaaa.
That looks great!

http://i.imgur.com/OGSNY.gif

. . . time to catch up on Lagrange.
I told you guys there was finger sex. So hot.

Ultimadrago

I'm a fan of your posts, so I mean this in the kindest way: that is the exact face I make when I read your shounen impressions, lol.

The comprehension of a man with a Shounen Spirit hitting past 500k volts exists far beyond the astral plane of the majority!

wonzo

Banned
Mirai Nikki 23

and so trainwreck continues on unabated. excellent.

I was actually considering re-watching this the other day because I wanted to be reminded of how great the animation and design was. Like you said, the whole thing is a bit shallow due to the thin plot, but it's a really fun movie and you do end up caring about the characters.
The old man dropping wisdom was pretty damn cool.
I felt really sorry for Suzuki and Kimura's Wife. :(

I'm just really excited for the E7 sequel, hopefully bones redeems themselves from their whole star driver quality charade.
lol

Makoto

messing around with my gif work. Trying to make things bigger without making file size too big.

http://i.minus.com/ibxXfwXxPRlLaG.gif[img]

Yay! I summed up all the good about that POS SHOW! bwaaaa.[/QUOTE]
I've already said this but man, the OP should have been [I]that[/I] film reel style for entire cast. BUT NOPE, LET'S JUST HAVE DRAMATIC SITTING AND STANDING WITH FILM GRAIN.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Suite Precure Movie: Blah Blah Long Title

QjJcx.jpg

This is how I felt after watching this.

Well that sucked. Inferior Precure gets inferior movie, no surprise. It felt like it was going to be a vehicle to give Ako more screentime to compensate for waiting so stupidly long in the show to add her into the main cast, but she gets ditched pretty early in for shit so generic that it wouldn't pass muster in an average filler episode of Suite.

Amazingly,
the movie was pretty much a carbon copy of Suite's endgame
, made all the more absurd by the fact that the film hit theaters well before Suite ended. I'm not kidding:
evil entity that hates sound turns everyone in Major Land to stone, silences all music, gets his ass kicked by the Cures, powers up and kicks Cures' asses, Cures (well, just Hibiki) power up and kick his ass for good
. Except this time, it all occurs in about an hour with zero-dimensional antagonists that exist solely for there to be something to fight.

These are pretty much the only thoughts that I could salvage from the movie:

These guys were the Major Three. Supposedly an Idol Group, but they never receive any backstory or personal identity whatsoever. They're introduced as minions of Howling, have a couple of fights with the Precures, and that's it. Never heard from again. Still, just looking at them begs the question: why the hell were these guys not used in the show instead of the awful Trio the Minor? The character designers had to be on drugs when they made Bassdrum, Baritone, and Falsetto if they could crank out better designs for a zero-effort one-off movie.

This shot made me realize how much personality Ellen could have had
post-transformation
if she'd just retained some of her cat-like tendencies.

Suite Precure dares to go where Rinne no Lagrange fears to tread (see Dresden's gif up the page if you don't get the joke.)

Oh, and I can't go without mentioning this--in hilariously predictable Precure fashion, the plastic shit merchandising extended all the way to the theater. Apparently kids were given light-up wands to wave to cheer the Cures on (and are even beckoned in-movie at the climax by Hummy to power up the Cures with their light, which is probably the first instance I've ever seen of a deus ex machina that requires breaking the fourth wall).

Before the film begins, there's a segment instructing the kids on how to do this:

That's fine and all, but these instructions were followed by a long series of warnings on how NOT to use the wand:

It became pretty uncomfortable watching all of the Fairy Tones enact out horrible things that could happen if you mishandle your wand. If that wasn't enough, after the film was over, children were encouraged to follow along with the Precure Dance, but not before a similarly-long set of instructions on what not to do was carefully explained to the audience. Toei apparently takes no chances when it comes to litigation.

Final rating: 1/5 Lucky Spoon cupcakes.

Another

With the final episode coming up, I've been thinking about some of the things that (afaik) have either been ignored or yet to be explained.

All the doll imagery.
The old lady at the doll shop.
The badass librarian dude being in charge of the drama club and being a really good actor.
Episode 11's title: Makeup.
Why does the curse exist and why does it operate the way it does?
Why did the owner of the inn go on a murderous rampage?
Why couldn't Mochizuki be replaced with a character who's interesting and/or likeable?

Hopefully some of these are dealt with in the last episode.

7Th

Did you watch the Heartcatch movie, MP? It's easily the best Precure movie to date. It also features the best implementation of the light waving thingy so far.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Did you watch the Heartcatch movie, MP? It's easily the best Precure movie to date. It also features the best implementation of the light waving thingy so far.

Yeah, I thought it was fantastic and surprisingly thoughtful. I don't even know if I saw any specific light-waving cues--was it just seamlessly integrated or is my memory bad?

7Th

Yeah, I thought it was fantastic and surprisingly thoughtful. I don't even know if I saw any specific light-waving cues--was it just seamlessly integrated or is my memory bad?

It was perfectly integrated, without addressing the audience at all; they just have Olivier waving Salamander's crystal thingy in a way similar to how the Miracle Lights are meant to be waved by the little kids.

s9UHx.jpg

DAT ASPECT RATIO

Makoto

Aoi Hana 11 (END)

The problem is I keep going into shows like Aoi Hana and expecting Brokeback Mountain. I expect grand commentary on topics I don't fully understand, but instead I just get dramas. It's not the show's fault. As a drama, this was... serviceable. It's pretty much the same reaction I got from Wandering Son.

At first it is kinda of weird that everyone is calm given the subject matter but in retrospect,
I can understand why Sugimoto's "coming out" didn't evoke a stronger reaction from her family.
Also, having just finished Blue Drop, I think I really don't like school play story arcs.
And I'm glad this didn't pull a Wandering Son and give the viewers TWO JAM PACKED SCHOOL PLAY ARCS.
School plays, whether it be in Wandering Son, Blue Drop or Aoi Hana, have never interest me. I understand their purpose thematically, but ugh, just give me a festival episode instead or something. At least those don't take up such a huge chunk of the show.

Edit: Well, I begin Toradora after this. Actually, I've already started it and I like that that Taiga has a design similar to something you'd find in Scott Pilgrim. The first episode has not disappointed me.

wonzo

Banned
HidaSketch x365 01

Straight off the bat the production values seem to have gotten a much bigger boost compared to the original series. It was nice to see how all the main characters met each other for the first time.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Aoi Hana 11 (END)
At first it is kinda of weird that everyone is calm given the subject matter but in retrospect,
I can understand why Sugimoto's "coming out" didn't evoke a stronger reaction from her family.
Also, having just finished Blue Drop, I think I really don't like school play story arcs.
And I'm glad this didn't pull a Wandering Son and give the viewers TWO JAM PACKED SCHOOL PLAY ARCS.
School plays, whether it be in Wandering Son, Blue Drop or Aoi Hana, have never interest me. I understand their purpose thematically, but ugh, just give me a festival episode instead or something. At least those don't take up such a huge chunk of the show.
Yeah both Wandering son and Aoi hana are more about the characterization then being anywhere close to Social commentary on their respective subject manners, in fact it's what firehawk12 was complaining about in regards to to the anime adaptation of Wandering son.:p

Also School play episodes are the best, so screw you!!

And I hope you enjoy Toradora.

Naw. Because it's primary audience is girls/women, the show isn't inherently creepy to watch.

I suppose it really is the weeaboo version of MLP.

I know it was said already, but seriously, this stereotype about Milky Holmes is one that most people here were saying before the first season began, and obviously some are still saying now, even though if they'd actually watched the show they'd know it's simply not true... it is kind of frustrating. No, the show's not like that! The creepy elements are FAR less than you imagine, and even there it's mostly involving older male characters like Twenty. And Twenty's biggest character trait is vanity, so it's him who is the center of his world, not girls.

... I mean, he is kind of messed up, so yeah for that and some other reasons the show's not for little kids, but it's not creepy like that. It's a comedy series, not a creepfest.

I wonder why we even got a season 2. The sales can not have been that high.
However I take of Milky Holmes whatever I can get.
Because it was much more popular in Japan than here.

That might be good enough if I'm left with a Milky Holmes itch after finishing its two seasons. The action isn't that huge a part of MH anyway (though very welcome when it appears). If I want a badass action Precure, I'll watch Heartcatch.

On a related note, I noticed that the director of Milky Holmes is directing Jewelpet Kira Deco next season. I'm mildly curious to see if he injects it with any of MH's subversive sense of humor, though it'll most likely turn out to be just another generic magical girl show.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything like Milky Holmes from a franchise like that, myself... as for Precure though, I don't see the comparison at all. That's a much more generic magical girl series, not a sketch comedy of sorts like Milky Holmes is...

Milky Holmes isn't as creepy as you might think.
As I said above, I don't think the people saying that have actually watched the show.

The first season sold 6k per volume DVD/BD combined, which is fairly decent and more than other anime that got second seasons, such as Amagami and Tamayura. Early reports indicate that the second season isn't selling nearly as well, so the prospect of another one is doubtful.
That's really too bad, I hope sales of S2 pick up... the first two episodes were bad, but the rest of the season is great!

Milky Holmes S2 12

i98zTiqRPZGsh.jpg

Fun ending, that dance sequence was pretty amazing.
Of course they lost their Toys again!

Bring on season 3.
Here's hoping!

Well, that's fair. But Smile Precure has absolutely none of that at all. It's childish innocence is part of its charm!
Isn't it also a lot more about fighting and things for the little girl audience like makeup and doing their hair and stuff? That seems quite different from Milky Holmes to me... you're right, they are for different audiences. I would certainly think that Milky Holmes would have cross-gender appeal, but yeah, I wouldn't think many of the people watching are little kids, unlike Precure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom