• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

SOS brigade movie

Kyoani needs to do more movies.

ibmQNj7ObCdJtB.gif

what I really think they should do is pick up Yandere Kanojo

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe you guys can finally understand the logic behind kuu > all.
She's not really kuu in the alternate universe though...

There's nothing inherently wrong with this comparison, but let's not actively encourage it!
Hahaha. Brocures? :p

Agreed. It really is nothing more than a supposed "leak", at the moment: June 20, on the same day as a complete Blu-ray box.
I guess we'll see...
Yep. It doesn't really matter anyway, since if it ever comes to the US, it means 2013 at the soonest for a BD release.

Instro

Milky Holmes S2 12

i98zTiqRPZGsh.jpg

Fun ending, that dance sequence was pretty amazing.
Of course they lost their Toys again!

Bring on season 3.

Thoraxes

Rinne no Lagrange 12 (END):

No ulterior motives whatsoever.

Man, what cruelty. We got totally punk'd with the
yuri
at the beginning
though it's not like they aren't already yuri for each other for real. so it's okay

So we end the season still clueless about
the exact nature of the Rinne, what triggers it, and whether or not it actually portends some kind of catastrophe
. I suppose this means that S2 is going to be heavy on revelation and potentially darker, especially after complicating things at the last minute with
Astelia showing the emblem (another Memoria?) on her chest and some offhand remark about Madoka breaking the cycle of peace and war
. Add to that
the appearances of Dizelmine and Ghost Yurikano, Space Tiger surviving because of Muginami, Vox Aura going cold, and Moid being an extraordinarily shady motherfucker
, and it's going to be a packed second season.

Looks like
Le Garite has made its presence known on earth and everyone is really chill.
I just complained about this in AnoNatsu the other day, but I can't help but do it again. Does anyone actually believe that most people would be doing anything other than freaking the fuck out
if aliens suddenly came to earth
? I mean, really, consider it.
Mankind suddenly being technologically inferior to another race is terrifying to just about anyone for one reason or another. You never know if you're going to be enslaved, if the Earth is going to be blown up, or if the self-determination of mankind is just going to be out of its own hands.
Maybe I'm just projecting the way I'd react on everyone else, but
casually going to the beach for a picnic and a nice view of the Le Garite capital ship
just seems so.....improbable.

At the halfway point, I think that Lagrange has successfully maintained its identity. As a laidback half-mecha half-cute-girls-doing-cute-things that emphasizes production quality over depth, it's been fine. I had no expectations going in, so I'm pleased by the fact that it's at least been competent (and often good.) Thanks Nissan! I'll probably never buy one of your cars, but you have a good eye for funding projects.

It kinda does seem that way, but at the same time they announced (on the TV)
that they were in talks with the UN and stuff (12th meeting by that time), so maybe shortly after their arrival their fears were assuaged. Not to mention higher-ups knew some the situation in Japan (because of the Pharos), just not that they would show up. I'd imagine if that happened and a world delegation like that made contact with them quickly, they'd spread the message to the people of their countries. Some people near the start seemed a little "wtf" by it though.

It's probably the only really grey area for that stuff (mostly because of dat timeskip, cause they can totally use that to their advantage). But with about a two-week timeskip from their arrival, i'm sure some people flipped the fuck out at first.

Also Le Garite blowing the fuck out of KISS
looked cool as hell.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hahaha. Brocures? :p

Sure, why not? It works.

Smile Precure 08

This ain't so good....

But then...

http://i.minus.com/ilGTRE4ZcDxDt.gif

best eps of the show!

Hah, no love for Yayoi this episode?

It kinda does seem that way, but at the same time they announced (on the TV)
that they were in talks with the UN and stuff (12th meeting by that time), so maybe shortly after their arrival their fears were assuaged. Not to mention higher-ups knew some the situation in Japan (because of the Pharos), just not that they would show up. I'd imagine if that happened and a world delegation like that made contact with them quickly, they'd spread the message to the people of their countries. Some people near the start seemed a little "wtf" by it though.

It's probably the only really grey area for that stuff (mostly because of dat timeskip, cause they can totally use that to their advantage). But with about a two-week timeskip from their arrival, i'm sure some people flipped the fuck out at first.

Also Le Garite blowing the fuck out of KISS
looked cool as hell.

Yeah, the
timeskip
did seem to indicate that
everyone had had enough time to take in the momentous news and that they were more curious than frightened by then
, but I can easily see this kind of thing instigating
a really long period of rioting, murders, looting, and general chaos from people who think that it's the end of humanity
. I'm not really criticizing this specific show for not adhering to my preferred scenario for this kind of situation, just airing general criticism on how it never
instills the level of fear
that it seems like it should.

Even if Le Garite is planning to completely fuck humanity over somehow
, I'll agree that they're at least going through the proper channels to make themselves look trustworthy. In the real world, a lifetime of
consuming science fiction that depicts aliens as untrustworthy, imperialistic, and generally violent and rapacious
would probably ensure that
aliens
would never earn our trust, but I'll just accept that this isn't the case in Lagrange (or at least in Kamogawa).

KISS getting pwned
was indeed pretty great, but barring a reappearance in S2,
RIP Space Tigress :(

Maru Finish!

Now I think about it... nothing actually happened this season o_O. And wtf is up with that gundam 00 movie flower power nonsense? CG artist escaped from his leash?

Sure, why not? It works.

Hah, no love for Yayoi this episode?

Yeah, the
timeskip
everyone had had enough time to take in the momentous news and that they were more curious than frightened by then
a really long period of rioting, murders, looting, and general chaos from people who think that it's the end of humanity
. I'm not really criticizing this specific show for not adhering to my preferred scenario for this kind of situation, just airing general criticism on how it never

, I'll agree that they're at least going through the proper channels to make themselves look trustworthy. In the real world, a lifetime of
consuming science fiction that depicts aliens as untrustworthy, imperialistic, and generally violent and rapacious
aliens
would never earn our trust, but I'll just accept that this isn't the case in Lagrange (or at least in Kamogawa).

KISS getting pwned

yayoi love is next eps!

iq2HlXFEdoanu.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
aliens

KISS getting pwned

Real life example: German occupation of France during WW2.

Smile Precure is just Milky Holmes without the badass action scenes.

That might be good enough if I'm left with a Milky Holmes itch after finishing its two seasons. The action isn't that huge a part of MH anyway (though very welcome when it appears). If I want a badass action Precure, I'll watch Heartcatch.

On a related note, I noticed that the director of Milky Holmes is directing Jewelpet Kira Deco next season. I'm mildly curious to see if he injects it with any of MH's subversive sense of humor, though it'll most likely turn out to be just another generic magical girl show.

Naw. Because it's primary audience is girls/women, the show isn't inherently creepy to watch.

I suppose it really is the weeaboo version of MLP.

Milky Holmes isn't as creepy as you might think.

I wonder why we even got a season 2. The sales can not have been that high.
However I take of Milky Holmes whatever I can get.

The first season sold 6k per volume DVD/BD combined, which is fairly decent and more than other anime that got second seasons, such as Amagami and Tamayura. Early reports indicate that the second season isn't selling nearly as well, so the prospect of another one is doubtful.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Rinne no Lagrange 12

The
two weeks time skip
surprised me at first, but I thought it was a pretty cool move by the writers.

And they have
a karuta club!
Awesome touch, hahaha.

Thoraxes

Yeah, the
timeskip

aliens

KISS getting pwned
That and well, they kind of look normal too. You know, given that they're
descendants of humanity anyways, they don't look particularly scary or evil and fit in pretty nicely, so there's that I guess.

And yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I honestly think that it would've been ineffective
to show all of that if they didn't do a timeskip, and this is one of the few times i've seen it done that have made sense to me, as well as having use in covering up having to animate/debate how to show all of that. In the overall arch of things, I just think including any of that would've been a huge digression, so i'm actually pleased that they chose to do it this way.

Also, Megumi Nakajima's
character can't die in this show!
I won't allow it!

Instro

The first season sold 6k per volume DVD/BD combined, which is fairly decent and more than other anime that got second seasons, such as Amagami and Tamayura. Early reports indicate that the second season isn't selling nearly as well, so the prospect of another one is doubtful.

Derp looks like I was wrong. It'll be a shame if the 2nd season does poorly.

Milky Holmes s2 finale

Sherlock looks adorable in that dress =)

Yuri dance was great!

I do wonder if they can do a season 3. They need some super drugs to top s2.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Of course, I was just surprised that you didn't think that Yayoi stole the early portions of this episode :p

That gif is going to kill someone one of these days.

Real life example: German occupation of France during WW2.

You're right, and I'm sure that this applies to any number of modern conflicts.
though you probably didn't need a lifetime of fearing the Germans to know that the Nazis were seriously evil.

That and well, they kind of look normal too. You know, given that they're
descendants of humanity anyways, they don't look particularly scary or evil and fit in pretty nicely, so there's that I guess.

And yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I honestly think that it would've been ineffective
to show all of that if they didn't do a timeskip, and this is one of the few times i've seen it done that have made sense to me, as well as having use in covering up having to animate/debate how to show all of that. In the overall arch of things, I just think including any of that would've been a huge digression, so i'm actually pleased that they chose to do it this way.

Also, Megumi Nakajima's
character can't die in this show!
I won't allow it!

C'mon, everyone knows from Men in Black that
even when aliens look human, they're just tiny monsters controlling a giant human suit
. The easiest way to make humans trust them would really just be
having Lan say wan on camera as it's broadcast to the world

I'm definitely okay with the show not delving too deeply into the ramifications of
aliens arriving on Earth
as, like you said, it would have needlessly strayed too far from the scope of the setting. Lagrange has only ever concerned itself with events outside of Kamogawa when they're of direct importance, such as
anything going on with KISS
. The
timeskip
was an acceptable way of sidestepping this and all I can conclude is that the people of Kamogawa just apparently aren't fazed by anything, heh.

I know that there's a guy who plays with his nipples in Milky Holmes.

He's one of its best parts!

Certainly there's an edge of sexual innuendo with Twenty and a couple other elements (the director did do Oruchuban Ebichu after all), but it's not at all the "You have to be a pedophile to watch this" kind of show you might expect.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You're right, and I'm sure that this applies to any number of modern conflicts.
though you probably didn't need a lifetime of fearing the Germans to know that the Nazis were seriously evil.

Science fiction example: Star Trek and the Vulcans.

He's one of its best parts!

Certainly there's an edge of sexual innuendo with Twenty and a couple other elements (the director did do Oruchuban Ebichu after all), but it's not at all the "You have to be a pedophile to watch this" kind of show you might expect.
Well, that's fair. But Smile Precure has absolutely none of that at all. It's childish innocence is part of its charm!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
But it is loliball. The dude rather hang out with elementary girls in swimsuits than hanging out with his friends especially his female friend of his age.

Because he enjoyed being a coach, a mentor and the inspiration for 5 girls who want to learn the values of friendship, camaraderie and persevering through difficulties while working as a team. I would enjoy doing that more than hanging out with a bunch of ungrateful friends. That is clearly the correct decision to be made.

Narag

Blood+ 5

Dub kinda took the piss here when the French guy was given more screentime. It's not even "so bad it's good" like Kenji Murasame in Giant Robo's original english dub.

Poyopoyo 12

I wish this series would never end.

G Gundam 28

Might have to retrct my complaints about the Shuffle Alliance. They're finally a great support cast. Wonderful ending to the duel between the God Gundam and the Mandala Gundam too.

I don't even.
7mKdal.png

G Gundam 00 S2 10

Mr. Bushido's identity was nearly revealed. Son of a bitch. Maybe next episode?
Ali fight to open was sadly underwhelming as was Lyle's reaction to all the info dropped on him. Sumeragi/Mannequin chess match delivered per the usual.

Lagrange 12 end
tumblr_m1gt0sQc0V1qah0k3o1_500.gif

Well I wasnt ready for the first few minutes, not what I signed up for but the return to the designs by Nissan had me hyped. Lovely animation and visuals and drama too.
Array, Izo, and Kirius actually lasted through the end and are staying in Kamogawa, which is the best part of all. Guess theyll definitely be here for the second half, hopefully with more screentime.

Try Unite rasmug duo (sp) was pretty cool, my favorite version of the song as well as the song that always plays when things get serious and the characters take great action was nice. Overall decent anime, just need more screentime of the mechs, the interesting characters, and lessened school type stuff. S2, ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom