• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread of Roundcats Up in This

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mirai Nikki 3
Just a question. I'm interested in continuing the series from the manga. Is there a good place to jump from the anime to the manga? I like to do so particularly if there is a spot where the anime becomes pretty bad while the manga is still good.
It's not like a high quality show...especially later on. Just consume it however you feel like, but I don't think you really want to swap back and forth between the two.

Geneijin

Mamotte Shugogettan - 09

iQjvffjXm3uis.jpg

I fear them cute kitty episodes. Shouko acting like an actual delinquent. Shocking.
Why does Ruuan fear cats? Instead of being tired from seeing way too many cats in her lifetime, she has become fearful of them. She says it's hatred but wouldn't someone do bad things to kitties than be scared of them? And to overcome those fears, Koichirou somehow made this into a cosplay episode. That manifestation of hatred for cats... doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't she be tsundere to cats instead?

Mamotte Shugogettan - 10

ioQXFi2UfgGup.jpg

A merry Christmas episode.
Filled with some unfunny misunderstandings. Shao thinks Christmas is dangerous, and Shouko adds confusion to her misunderstanding by saying things like how Tasuke will be a human sacrifice for hosting this year's Christmas party or how Christmas is also suffering on Japanese wordplay. Yeah, this isn't... funny for me. Especially for the reason she gives that makes this strangely melodramatic. Basically, her last master was a small girl (Rinrin) who left the house on Christmas day to sneak into the village to shop with Shao, but a huge pack of wolves are reported to have been spotted outside of the village and she gets attacked since she's outside the house. Hence, she doesn't want Tasuke to have a painful Christmas.

Mamotte Shugogettan - 11

ibnRggitROw3kP.jpg

The Kenen daydreaming was totally unnecessary. It's not like you ever rode on it either Tasuke, so it makes less sense for you to fantasize about doing so. But really, this whole episode wasn't very amusing either.
The plot for this episode was if Ruuan could use her powers to take control of Shao's Shitenrin, which is the source of her power and an inanimate object, and Ruuan's power is to make inanimate objects move and under her control, so yeah... doesn't work because the powers repel each other and the Shitenrin runs away temporary and gets lost around the city due to unbelievable events. It'd be entertaining if such episodes were developing some character or this was a terrible wacky comedy episode, but this is strangely melodramatic too like the previous episode except on a worse level. That entire drive with Izumo and Tasuke, Tasuke's "death" - I mean really...

Mamotte Shugogettan - 12

ibcZHjoVnQEup7.jpg

She is what I would have imagined Ruuan to look like if she didn't have those ugly red bangs or whatever the word for it is called.
Stalker episode. The first true romantic triangle? It might be the only legitimate episode I like because of how the series handles its drama and comedy is generally. Kaori is so jealous when she sees Tasuke talk (flirt) with Shao and Ruuan talk (with his two waifus) in contrast to her demeanor. I don't think she truly pulls it off because her maniacal side isn't as exaggerated as I would like it to be despite her monologue outside the classroom before that encounter. Then again, her evil face moment when at the amusement park does it enough for me. Yet, what would do I really think of Shouko's introductory episode then...

Still, Kaori with the HARD TRUTH.

Mamotte Shugogettan - 13

iB2rkd9GMAPNi.jpg

Kaori is fucking saving this show. She still has no chance of winning, but it's so much better watching her work into the romance than Ruuan and Shao. How can you not cheer for stalker girl? It's like Kaori says: they could simply be attached to Tasuke out of a sense of duty than anything else (well, Shao is for sure). So when Kaori tries to get closer to Tasuke, it feels much more than what she describes Ruuan and Shao's relationship with Tasuke. Shao's pretty much maternal and protective, but as we've seen in the last episode, Kaori's appearance has formed an actual love triangle, and Shao's love for Tasuke has started to blossom into something beyond their current relationship status. I-I didn't think this would take 12 episodes into the series for me to start talking about the love triangle since the early Ruuan and Shao shenanigans was more haremshit than much else if you ask me...

Stalker girl PLANNED this shit out into that retreat.So beautiful. Yet why doesn't Kaori get at least one decent conversation going with Tasuke while they were snowed in? Sigh, preventing an otherwise best failed rendezvous. Damn the writing in this show.

But holy fuck, that was beautiful Kaori. "You'll wake up Shao, Kaori!" And what does she do? Yells louder.

Mamotte Shugogettan - 14

iDzd6XrzrgZSn.jpg

Hundred or Hunt(er) Red? Is that you Midorikawa? Are my ears deceiving me? Goddamn.

Well, that ends Kaori's reign. Now she's perfectly assimilated into the harem :(

Game show episode. Woohoo?
Bazooka fucking dodgeball shouldn't be this boring.

If that is you Midorikawa, do not follow their example. Whatever you do, don't. But all this reflection is lost on me if you have Tasuke being so blunt about Momoko-san's feelings... the writing really is the weakest part about this show.

Mamotte Shugogettan - 15

iQZJpc6P33UOp.jpg

herewegoagain

Kaori taking lessons from Momoko. Such progressiveness, such forwardness - knitting a scarf out of love and hard work, only for it to be destroyed by Ruuan and Shao. But damn, Kaori, calling out Shao's lazy form of love. I didn't think this was allowed. At least this series doesn't have any of this fan club nonsense beyond that culture festival as an excuse to get Shao and Ruuan into the school. It's too bad I feel unsympathetic to Shao's newfound dedication falls flat to not rely on her Hoshigami as a bail out. Especially this stupid plan hatched by Ruuan to get Tasuke to hate Shao out of this recent development, so Shao will fall out of love with him. I'm just not convinced by any of this because of Tasuke's character.

And that melodrama was god awful...

Mamotte Shugogettan - 16

izeg3Qst494rF.jpg

That opening scene was beautiful. Yes, everyone is weird compared to you. So disappointing that Shouko gets so little time overall. Also, this might be the only misunderstanding episode I like in Mamotte Shugogettan. It doesn't have any of the terribly melodramatic conflict that's been a problem in this series while making Ruuan's antics bearable and funny. Yes, funny.
You'll have to thank Kaori, Ruuan.

I wonder if the episode director changed for this episode. It's really a wonder why it works.

Mamotte Shugogettan - 17

jlp9fHzHd9EX7.jpg

warattekure

Wait, it took you how many episodes in to decide to write a love letter Takashi? But you know I admire the idea of slipping a love letter into her regular clothes while she's in gym class. Why don't more modern anime have such episodes like this? It's astounding. Episodes can write themselves. And look at this shit: Shao thinks the guy who stole her clothes needed them more than her :LOL

And Kaori with more sex appeal than Ruuan. That attempt is commendable. But Koichirou... dude, why?

Too bad the episode wasn't that good.

Mamotte Shugogettan - 18

ibuXxuwKs7llgf.jpg

Throwing your baby son up into the ceiling, smacking his body across it and calling it a "small" thing not to worry about; or throwing your son across the room to tell him he shouldn't leave himself vulnerable when he just wanted to give you a birthday present - you are a terrible father, Tasuke's Dad.

sui kondekure

And we have a terrible episode like this.
Tasuke's Dad is in danger and this enemy wants the Shitenrin? This forced development is awful. Maybe if Nana-nee showed up more, or Tasuke reminisced more about his childhood, his Dad would mean something more to us. But to shoehorn him into the story now and expect us to think he's important while dropping in the first and only villain of the show? Is this suppose to be funny or serious? Because I'm pretty sure it tries to be the latter with how my expectations were raised based on all the episodes so far. This arc is going to bore me.

I more or less expected the reveal in the episode. Awful. Why weren't the traps more on the humorous side and less on the faux drama.

Mamote Shingogettan - 19

j76Yo1UYU7JLi.jpg

Poor Izumo-san. Your playboy ways was an outcry to not have things predetermined for you since birth. You wanted control of your life, so that's why you never wanted to commit to anything. If only I understood you better Izumo... then I could give a shit about this happening to you.

tsurukame
that melodrama

Mamotte Shugogettan - 20

ibllqgLzXWn0HV.jpg

Oh wow, this is new. A myth episode.
The jewel of eternal love is an Egyptian legend. That symbolism. I wonder if Nana-nee will appear.

Leave it to a stalker like Kaori to find out the whereabouts of a specific individual. I knew this setting was too good to be true to be without everyone. This is practically a beach episode, yet why the hell isn't Shouko here?

Why is the romance so bad in this show?

Mamotte Shugogettan - 21

ipXVyW6PqtgoH.jpg

Well, last episode reinitialized it, but finally, Shao starting to fall in love with Tasuke (her heart only moved for 3 or 4 episodes). Yet what is love? And how do you feel it~ Who cares about her obligation as a Shugogettan; who cares about professional? Who says employer and employee can't date? Or love? UGH, why should I care about their relationship when Shao's been working as a servant all the time, and the only thing Tasuke offers her is the feeling of love.

I do think the implications are somewhat incredible. Does that mean Tasuke doesn't have a pure heart anymore, hence, the contract is broken between him and Shao or did the story just blame the woman :lol

Mamotte Shugogettan - 22 (Finale)

jbRuBe7wvTBpQ.jpg

...There is really no reason for Ruuan to help. Literally. If she's truly the spirit who bestows happiness, then develop her character for this moment to happen. She basically got convinced to go along with rescuing Shao because the biggest Shao fans pleaded with her to when her decision to help should have eventually came after the fruition of Tasuke and her own feelings. It's why all these emotional scenes does nothing for me when the character consistency has been so disjointed thoroughly throughout the series.

Texhnolyze - 01

ioxOoOH4muNIw.jpg

The lack of dialogue makes this hard for me to stay interested. It would be nice to have some context to why some of these things are happening before they happen. Everything doesn't have to be told at once, but there isn't really any notion of suspense for me when I'm listless from the lack of information.
Yeah, I get that the woman was responsible for him being chased at the end, but the impact of the scene like the dude being chased by a gang of people
feels diminished because of the reason above. Of course, I'm interested in what's going on, but I'm not a fan of this storytelling.

Texhnolyze - 02

ibb86tKrq21arW.jpg

Is the world you're seeing Rin a broken or is the world we're seeing broken?

A man struggles to walk on his own feet. A broken man as if it were. What I'm more surprised about is how he managed to live. That must have been tonnes of blood leaking for his severed arm and leg. Did someone nicely patched him up or what after he fell unconsious? Hard to believe he survived with that blood loss.

Thoraxes

Texhnolyze - 02

ibb86tKrq21arW.jpg

Is the world you're seeing Rin a broken or is the world we're seeing broken?

A man struggles to walk on his own feet. A broken man as if it were. What I'm more surprised about is how he managed to live. That must have been tonnes of blood leaking for his severed arm and leg. Did someone nicely patched him up or what after he fell unconsious? Hard to believe he survived with that blood loss.

Save this image for later and see if it lines up with you. It's an episode by episode reaction chart.

http://i.imgur.com/FrNK7.png

is she a pirate
She plundered my heart.

Mirai Nikki 3

It went from a awkward and ecchi beginning to a pretty awesome and creepy second half. Although I'm starting to dislike Yukki, Yuno is quite an awesome character. The opening and ending themes are pretty awesome too.

Just a question. I'm interested in continuing the series from the manga. Is there a good place to jump from the anime to the manga? I like to do so particularly if there is a spot where the anime becomes pretty bad while the manga is still good.

Don't know why you would. The anime has been a fantastic adaptation so far and I would say the definitive version. Unless you're running short on time, stick with the anime.

Also, holy shit Geneijin 0_o

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Don't know why you would. The anime has been a fantastic adaptation so far and I would say the definitive version. Unless you're running short on time, stick with the anime.

Also, holy shit Geneijin 0_o
Haven't read the manga for awhile, but isn't it generally agreed upon that the show is running out of episodes to tell everything it should? It could end pretty poorly.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Dennou Coil 12

HEY GUYS, NUCLEAR WAR IS BAD

Dennou Coil 13

Plesio ;_;

Dennou Coil 14

Akira is such a little creep. Also, we finally get some plot.
I'm guessing the guy is Isako's brother, but then it's a bit confusing as to what Isako is doing.
Overall, it was pretty good for being half filler.

Haven't read the manga for awhile, but isn't it generally agreed upon that the show is running out of episodes to tell everything it should? It could end pretty poorly.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. They were able to cover a full chapter in 5 minutes in the recent episode. We're on 34 out of 59 right now which is definitely doable in 9 episodes even if a few insignificant things have to be cut.

Branduil

Dennou Coil 12

HEY GUYS, NUCLEAR WAR IS BAD

Dennou Coil 13

Plesio ;_;

Dennou Coil 14

Akira is such a little creep. Also, we finally get some plot.
I'm guessing the guy is Isako's brother, but then it's a bit confusing as to what Isako is doing.
Overall, it was pretty good for being half filler.

-explosion.gif

Eureka Seven 1

This just seems like a poor man's Air Gear with less likable characters to me. Even the concept of Waves seems eerily similar to Roads. Renton and Eureka are both annoying. Hope they get better.

survivor

Banned
Eureka Seven 1

This just seems like a poor man's Air Gear with less likable characters to me. Even the concept of Waves seems eerily similar to Roads. Renton and Eureka are both annoying. Hope they get better.

They don't. That's why I stopped watching halfway through. Can't handle this much crap.

Svafnir

Gonna check out some of the animes people listed in the thread, I am just re-watching cowboy bebop right now. (The best anime ever)

Narag

Texhnolyze 1-6

I really really like this show. The deliberate pacing is really clicking with me and I'm looking forward to seeing the individual plot lines cross over one another.

Melody of Oblivion 11

Robot unicorns vs robot monkeys. Need fewer Monster Union agents and more monsters.

Yami 11

I can only handle this one episode at a time. That said, the colony ship storyline was too good for this show.

Super Robots Wars OG The Inspector 12-13

Teasing Axel vs Kyosuke at the end of 12 had me hopping right into episode 13. I feel misled. That said 13 might be the best episode so far given so many elements meet up and throw down.

3KVEFl.png

The Vysaga is such a hot machine.
iwXw4rXniBcIb.gif

As is the Grungust Type 3.

BRS 02

Okay, that was overly dramatic, but with very cool fight scenes.

What does wheelchair's death in the dream world signify? Her real life counterpart's eyes changed, can anyone explain a bit better to me?

Cursed colour blindness, I'm fairly certain I missing things because of it.

Eureka Seven 1

BURN THE HEATHEN.

Seriously though, give it more episodes, it really picks up after the first couple shows.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
BRS 01

What does wheelchair's death in the dream world signify? Her real life counterpart's eyes changed, can anyone explain a bit better to me?

BURN THE HEATHEN.

Seriously though, give it more episodes, it really picks up after the first couple shows.

What? wheelchair didn't die in the dream world...

Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas end

Hakurei sure is badass. Dude had the best "bulldozing through enemies" scene in the whole series. I'd post a gif if I could find one. Though honestly, his fight against Hypnos was extremely disappointing minus the
literal spirit bomb.

But yeah, this OVA series was pretty incredible. Like night and day in comparison to the TV series and the Hades OVAs. Everything from the animation to the writing to the characters and even arguably the music was leagues ahead of anything else in the franchise I have experienced so far.

The biggest praise I can give this over the original series are two things: 1. the characters actually felt like characters and not living movesets with dubious motivations and 2. the battles were tense and each attack actually felt like it had some weight behind it in terms of strategical developments. I think the former is do in part by the sob stories and back stories that weren't excessive being leagues ahead of what we got in the tv series and Hades OVAs. There was definitely a darker tone at points, and while that isn't inherently better, it did make for some likable protagonists that you were actually rooting for instead of wanting them to only fuck shit up.

The latter might have something to do with the presentation and animation, at least in terms of making the battles more tense and exciting. However, the strategies are not something that would change with a lower budget and I really think they shined here. I think Albafica's fight probably stood out the most in that regard.

Of course it isn't without faults. It still falls into the trappings of the established formula from time to time, aka wasting time shooting the breeze with the opponent in the middle of a battle to the death as well as other actions that can be associated with time-wasting. We don't need to see people running through a forest for 3 minutes straight.

And as much as I liked the battles, I can't completely ignore the fact asspulls are still around even if they are much less prominent than in the rest of the franchise. Fortunately, the wins were at least more believable since 90% of the battles involved Gold Saints. In another bit of brilliance, many techniques had already been established in earlier works, therefore making them not stand out as asspulls nor interrupting the flow of battle.

So yeah, this is was really good. I'd honestly be more hyped for an announcement of a continuation of this than the announcement of Saint Seiya Omega. Hope we don't have to wait too long.

Mirai Nikki

It is beyond me why 12th did not kill 9th when he extracted all the info about 1st and 2nd from her and she was locked up in the dungeon. Anyone know a reasonable explanation for this? Isn't 12 someone who wants to kill other diary owners and win the game?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I believe you are correct, but everyone else is talking about episode 2.

Not the person I originally responded to:
BRS 01

iavi

---

lol41.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 41

This was actually an effective ep, sap wise. Ueki's
dad is actually a bro despite the damning flashback they gave a while back. I was thinking he would be the end boss, but it actually looks as if they're doing nothing like it.

----

lol42.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 42

This redundancy and retconning is getting a bit annoying. It seems as if everyone of her fights consist of the same thing. And they went into a spiel on about how
Robert and Ueki were the only celestials in the program.
' Rinko's 'Oh, I can't hit that cute thing, leeeeeeet me find a way around it' is ever annoying. Luckily Sano's fight was a bit more interesting.

---

lol43.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 43

The carrying over of these fights reeks of time mismanagement. They're not even effective for drama. Ai's fight, as usual, was a lot of fun. Still, the less powerful they are the more fun/wacky/inventive the fight's have been. Baro's double check actually kind of disturbing for a sec.

----

lol44.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 44

HAX. Fucking HAX. What's the point? But I have to admit, I shold have seen it coming, though I didn't think that
recycling
would mean total erasure? That's not connecting for me. New ED!

-----

lol45.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 45

Ok, that angsty entry line, that flashback; it actually had me laughing. How are you going to write a sap story around a kid
popping his mom with a fucking canon when she's just walking in the door, because he 'thought she was a burglar?'
lol. I'm sick of sap stories. Though, they have been the source of the series best lines...idk. I did dig the atmosphere the art gave off in this ep. Dropping the sepiatone for flashbacks was the best thing they could have done for them. His
losing right after the eyecatch was also ridiculous
Atleast things are on the way. I've been wondering who
that random girl in the op was

----

lol46.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 46

The little back-story on Haruka was fun, but completely informal but as to where
Ueki gets his mojo from,
but that's to be expected I guess. The reflection was a bit sad. The fight between the
faux- margeret and the king
seems like it could be interesting aside from all that infodumping.

----

lol47.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 47

Looks as if cloud couldn't handle the materia in the end, lol. More reflecting. Poor hideyoshi, forever alone. That continued fight actually became quite intersting, even if not all the moves taken made any sense at all. Hanon's
eating of people is pretty gross

-----

lol48.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 48

Why are the servants of sadists always surprised when they're turned on? I've thought the use of color to be quite garish this whole series, but this endgame palate is actually kind of rad. (Above) Li ho's ultimate move being
only an amalgam of his previous moves, with a weakness as raring was anti-climatic as hell.

-----

lol49.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 49

I want to find some interest in these side fights, but I can't; they're all fodder buying screentime till Ueki comes in with his god-mode. I mean, it's always like that, but not usually so blatant.
They did nothing

-----

lol50.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 50

I never realized just how hax'd robert's power of ideal was. It's basically 'wish and it shall be done.' Hanon's Archenemy looks gross. Ueki's is lol. straight comedy. There's no tactics during these fights anymore. None. It's just get beaten. get beaten. get power up. win. I'm kind of disappointed that they threw it out the window when the higher levels came around. Though Hanon's switch up was a quick one.

-----

lol51.jpg

The Law of Ueki: 51 (FINISH)

Ok. That scene in the pic above was hilarious, and renders my complaint from the last ep mute. It's kind of sad that the animation did step up this ep, but it only came to normal levels, and still had some hilariously bad direction at that. That insert song played during
Ueki's an Ai's little comfort moment was fucking awesome.
Hanon's tats are kind of badass, though his logic was fucking retarded. The closure,
while completely one-note,
was good.

---

E:

I started off hating myself with this, and still do the way I went about it, but I enjoyed it in the end and probably would have enjoyed it even more had I done it in smaller doses. It just became fun when I just turned off all brain function--let them just show me the tactics instead of playing mental chess--etc..etc... I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone under any scenario, but there are moments to be had, and a few--very few--that stand up against any.

Mirai Nikki

It is beyond me why 12th did not kill 9th when he extracted all the info about 1st and 2nd from her and she was locked up in the dungeon. Anyone know a reasonable explanation for this? Isn't 12 someone who wants to kill other diary owners and win the game?

The explanation is he is legitimately insane.

And the winner is Miri! Sorry Hosanna.

Final Standings at point of completion:

Miri: 51/51 (100%)
Hosanna: 41/51 (80%)
Geneijin: Retired at 62/81 (77%)
Lafiel: Retired at 1/51 (2%)

Prizes will be distributed to the top 3. Thanks for playing!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I saw that twist coming a mile away. In fact, I'm not even sure it was a twist.

Anyway, the girl in the preview for next the episode
looked suspiciously like one of the precures from the dream with the heart tree.

-Minsc-

Texhnolyze 1-6

I really really like this show. The deliberate pacing is really clicking with me and I'm looking forward to seeing the individual plot lines cross over one another.

This show was certainly not for everyone, it's great to see you're enjoying it so far. I believe the director (or someone involved in the series) stated they specifically started off with the slow pace to drive away the average user.

One of these days I'll have to give it another watch.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I saw that twist coming a mile away. In fact, I'm not even sure it was a twist.

Anyway, the girl in the preview for next the episode
looked suspiciously like one of the precures from the dream with the heart tree.

It's still worth there being some semblance of ambiguity and surprise just for Tsubomi's reaction.

But yeah, keep watching. All will be revealed in due time.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's still worth there being some semblance of ambiguity and surprise just for Tsubomi's reaction.

But yeah, keep watching. All will be revealed in due time.

Her brother is way too cute, and that wheelchair moe~

Poor Tsubomi, but at least it upped
the yuri content considerably!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Her brother is way too cute, and that wheelchair moe~

Poor Tsubomi, but at least it upped
the yuri content considerably!

He's more like a
wheelchair bishounen
, really.

You haven't seen the half of Heartcatch's yuri. There's one important character that.....nah, anything I say would be a spoiler. You'll know.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Black ★ Rock Shooter 02:

The writing sucks. Fuck!

The hand-drawn animation is only okay, but inconsistent. Fuck!

The CG characters are pretty amazing. Yay!

The CG clouds blow goat. Fuck!

I'll keep watching because it's Black ★ Rock Shooter, but at least my expectations for the rest of the series will start at the bottom of the barrel and work its way up. It's still better than Doujin Crown, but not by terribly much. :/

duckroll

I've been mashing away at my giant Western keyboard this whole time and never noticed. Clearly I should be less xenophobic and more culturally aware of other nation's hands.

Do we know what timeslot this is going to air in? Is it Sundays at 7 in the morning again like the original series? Judging from the... "shift" in tone... it sounds more like the big Thursday night slot on TBS/MBS that I think Persona 4 currently airs in.

It's replacing Inu x Boku SS on MBS Thursday nights. So yes, it's a 2am show and will probably be filled with crappy fan service and other garbage. But it's not the "big" slot that Persona 4 is on. It's after that. Lol.

Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 1
IwihI.jpg

A million and one different references.
Oh boy,a trippy version of Zoku's opening. That's pretty exciting. Seeing as this isn't a TV series and there's probably a higher budget, I see SHAFT is tossing color everywhere and there's a bunch more split seconds cut away. And, lol at original Itoshiki-sensei and him being redrawn into Zoku's ED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom