• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Rare coming back in a big way recently, what do you think they are doing next?

Sou Da

A new huge arena Kart game with awesome tracks

A new open-world platformer with different action-adventure explorer elements. I love to explore

A (Spy/operative?) FPS thats mostly set in indoor environments. Return of awesome corridors. IDC if its GoldenEye/007 or a new Dark.

I applaud you for asking for new ips.

Sponge

Banned
I'm hoping they revisit some of those cancelled games shown in Rare Replay, like Kameo 2 or Sundown.

I think they're making a new Battletoads, though.

They created all that destruction tech for Crackdown 3. It would be a shame if we would only get one game where you destroy buildings. Rare just needs to think of a reason to destroy buildings in a certain path.

Blast Corps 2

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Assuming Rare has four teams -- then I think it's pretty clear how they can come back in a big way.

They are proving themselves with Rare Replay, and they have a chance to prove themselves in Sea of Thieves with a new IP signaling a new era of Rare.

They can also prove themselves by being able to maintain the quality of the past classic titles -- namely a Banjo 3 (big title) and a Battletoads (small scale title).

Banjo 3 and Battletoads are pure speculation, but I think those are the two that are most wanted.

Krakn3Dfx

I think Sea of Thieves is probably what you'll see out of them for the next couple of years, I doubt this automatically means they suddenly have free reign and some other big projects in the works. Time will tell though.

RK128

Wasn't there a poster of a new Banjo game in some Rare stream recently?

upt7OFO.png

Edit: This was shown off during one of their live streams and is likely a 'fun' poster (same thing with Battletoads). Only mention/show this as it has new designs for Banjo and company, potentially leading to a new game being in the works.

valeo

I guess I made this thread a year too early with all the good points you guys are making; they haven't release Sea of Thieves yet (so we have no idea if they can make 'big' games anymore) and we have no footage of the likely new Battletoads to judge anything off of.

I'm just happy they are doing something they want to as from 2008/2009-2011/2012, they were forced onto the Kinect and many, many great prototypes were scrapped :(.

Just take a look at Rare's Unseen 64 page; 16+ pages of scrapped ideas, games and concepts from the Xbox and 360 era shut down for various reasons and its a shame they couldn't make the games they really wanted to make.

That is why I'm so happy with them now; they got a new logo showing hope for the studio (very similar to the look from their 90's era), working on big game again in decades (last big project for them was Nuts & Bolts) and celebrating their legacy through Rare Replay.

I might be a bit nostalgic for their good ol' days but I am really looking forward to their future products.

Mods, feel free to lock the thread if this subject is too early to judge.

Every games studio that has been around anywhere as long as Rare has will have multiple projects that they didn't get to make for whatever reason. It's not that surprising. It doesn't meant that Microsoft just shat on all of them.

Anyway, Rare is a bit like Double Fine for me. Great ideas, but the execution is usually a little boring.

SephLuis

Way too soon to tell. I am not a Xbox One owner, but I have some interest in Rare Replay and what Rare has been doing.

Rare Replay may be one great collection of games, but those are all from Rare's past. Not a single one is new. This speaks more about how great Rare was instead of is.

Sea of Thieves, honestly, didn't got my attention. People have been saying they are working on Battletoads and this one I hope they get it right. Perhaps calling Platinum to help with advisors would not be bad.

I also hope they are working in a new Banjo and Conker games. They have been teasing Conker and they know people want a new Banjo. I know a new great Banjo game would make me buy the console.

If Rare wants to be back to glory, their next games need to be great. I really hope they can pull this off.

daTRUballin

I would love to see what the current talent at Rare can do with some of their franchises. I'm pretty sure a Battletoads game is being made. It's pretty obvious at this point.

I would love to see how a new Banjo or Conker game would be like as well.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
People have been saying they are working on Battletoads and this one I hope they get it right. Perhaps calling Platinum to help with advisors would not be bad.

I didn't even know I wanted a Platinum Battletoads game until now. That would be a BRILLIANT move by Rare to lease the Battletoads IP to Platinum just like they do with Killer Instinct. It could still be a collaboration as well -- Rare could take on the conceptual parts of the game, while Platinum focuses on the gameplay aspects specifically.

jholmes

Oh man this thread.

If Konami put a bunch of old ROMs onto a disc and sold it for $30, would they suddenly be back?

RK128

Oh man this thread.

If Konami put a bunch of old ROMs onto a disc and sold it for $30, would they suddenly be back?

Its all about the context :l.

Rare Replay came out years after Rare only making Kinect software and many prototypes/concepts being scrapped, so that announcement alongside a new IP (Sea of Thieves) showed me hope that they can come back in a big way. Thus, I made this thread to discuss what they could be doing in the future :).

Like I said before though, if this thread is too early to talk about Rare and their future, then Mods should feel free to lock the thread.

Konami has been going down hill for years (2010 on-wards) and this year everything exploded in their face. They could make a 40+ game collection for 30 bucks and people will still want to spit fire at them....

Sydle

Sea of Thieves looks incredible.

I think it's clear one of the other teams is on Battletoads. I just watched the "making of" for Battletoads in Rare Replay and Kev Bayliss basically gives a wink and nod at the end of it there's another on the way. That on top of all the other hints is basically a lock that it's coming and Rare is doing it.

That leaves the Rare Replay team's next project and I suppose one other team?

Part of me still feels a new Banjo is coming and it's been in the works for a while. I remember back in January 2014 when the Studio Creative Director said that a lot of people in Rare want to do things with Banjo. Plus we had that Robin Beanland tease of him fixing a broken banjo and more recently we have that comic book cover poster in the background on the Rare Replay stream.

No clues on the 4th project, it's probably whatever the Rare Replay team want to do next. I'd love it to be a fresh take on Viva Pinata, The Fast and Furriest, or Kameo 2, but I'd be happy with something new as well.

I very much doubt Conker is coming back. It seems like it would be the hardest IP to revitalize and the likelihood it would top the original is low.

Revitalizing Perfect Dark seems like the work of a very big studio. It seems like a Tomb Raider project, or at least that's what Ken Lobb has used as a point of reference on where he wants to go with it. I imagine a studio like Remedy is better equipped to take it where it would need to go, but they're going to be too busy with Quantum Break and Alan Wake. I think Spencer and team will try to find a big experienced studio to make it within the next 5-10 years.

jholmes

Like I said before though, if this thread is too early to talk about Rare and their future, then Mods should feel free to lock the thread.

I think discussion about what Rare is doing next is certainly valid and I wasn't trying to backseat moderate or anything. I just think the rah-rah tone of the OP and the title is misplaced.

lawnchair

Banned
OP, i feel bad now that everyone is shitting on your dreams, i apologize. i'm happy that you're happy and i hope rare does some great things. GO RARE GO BRING BACK THE GLORY

SephLuis

I didn't even know I wanted a Platinum Battletoads game until now. That would be a BRILLIANT move by Rare to lease the Battletoads IP to Platinum just like they do with Killer Instinct. It could still be a collaboration as well -- Rare could take on the conceptual parts of the game, while Platinum focuses on the gameplay aspects specifically.

Platinum has a lot of projects in their plate right now, so I think it's difficult for them to make another big project.

Since Platinum is working with Microsoft for Scalebound, they can help Rare to create a new Battletoads. Worst case, they pull a MG Rising and finish development in under a year =P

kirby_fox

Banned
I think Rare wants to move on from games they've done and make new worlds to explore. Those who want BK or Conker have Yooka Laylee and probably all that is coming from that world.

I know it's not the same, but after you look at all the cancelled projects none of them were "We made Banjo Kazooie 3 but then made it into Nuts and Bolts." Even Kameo 2 was "more mature" and wasn't the same as "put googly eyes on things" that they had before. They really seem to be moving in a new direction, and while I love the old games they've done I'm totally OK if they don't feel the need to keep working on them.

Some franchises live, others die, others get pushed into the ground. And some just fade away.

RK128

I think discussion about what Rare is doing next is certainly valid and I wasn't trying to backseat moderate or anything. I just think the rah-rah tone of the OP and the title is misplaced.

Should I post my response to your post in the OP then to create better context to the thread then?

RK128

damn yall shit on OP's thread...

he sounded all excited too

anyways i hope they rez Kameo 2 and the Fast and the Furriest.

No one was being overly cricital of the thread; I just made it a year or so too early sadly :l.

Rare needs to prove themselves to people that they can make great games again, and while Rare Replay is a great first step, Sea of Thieves and a new Battletoads are the next steps in showing the world "Were Rare and we CAN make great games :D!".

robotrock

Banned
Let's not waste Platinum on a Battletoads game

SimonM7

Should I post my response to your post in the OP then to create better context to the thread then?

There's nothing wrong with your thread. GAF is still a very, very sony/nintendo skewed place, and you're getting the expected response by baiting with xbox related excitement. Just wait for the drive by posts to wind down and I think it'll be fine.

RK128

There's nothing wrong with your thread. GAF is still a very, very sony/nintendo skewed place, and you're getting the expected response by baiting with xbox related excitement. Just wait for the drive by posts to wind down and I think it'll be fine.

Thanks for the heads up :).

Posted a post in the OP that explains why I made the thread (so my overly-positive view point of Rare is explained), so I hope that helps clear things up :D.

RexNovis

Banned
Rare Replay is an amazing compilation but isn't a new game. Sea of Thieves isnt out yet. We haven't seen any other projects they may or may not be working on at this point. Given the output of the studio over the course of the last 8 years we have no way of knowing "they are back" or that they are capable of putting out the quality of product that classic Rare was known for. A meaningful discussion on this topic could be had after the release of their next game (sea of thieves) but right now this is entirely based off of speculation. You're of course free to speculate but that's not what this thread was framed as. It simply too early to be making claims about their status as a developer.

You post this and then dare to call out other posts as shit posts? GAF Hive mind is not a thing. Your post is a shining example of the very thing you are decrying.

Bsigg12

Outside of really big games, I want them to continue to add what they can to Rare Replay. It would be cool to get all Rare games, the good and bad, that aren't held back by licensing issues into the collection. A (multiple?) $10 DLC with 10 more games would be amazing.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Umm they have yet to ship a game of critical acclaim with widespread popularity and they are considered to be back? Weird criteria.

RK128

Rare Replay is an amazing compilation but isn't a new game. Sea of Thieves isnt out yet. We haven't seen any other projects they may or may not be working on at this point. Given the output of the studio over the course of the last 8 years we have no way of knowing "they are back" or that they are capable of putting out the quality of product that classic Rare was known for. A meaningful discussion on this topic could be had after the release of their next game (sea of thieves) but right now this is entirely based off of speculation. You're of course free to speculate but that's not what this thread was framed as. It simply too early to be making claims about their status as a developer.

I edited the OP to explain why I made the thread but after reading the other posts here, you are right; I simply made this thread a year too early sadly :(.

Got to excited about Rare Replay and got a lot of hope for Rare (and I still have it :D) but I shouldn't of posted this thread until next year.

I wonder if I can get this thread locked so that way we can have stronger discussion on Rare as a development studio next year when Sea of Thieves, Battletoads and other projects of theirs comes out and/or gets announced.....

Poona

Surely something more with Battletoads is happening? Or are they just going to be getting cameo appearances in different games?

Would love to see Fast & furriest revived, which was revealed on Rare Replay. C'mon... so many Rare characters gathered for a kart racer? That needs to happen!

Kameo 2 I'm open to as well. I did like the stuff on Rare Replay. Expanding the fantasy is fine. Making it more 'mature' is fine.

As for Perfect Dark, whilst I would like to see more from that I really think third person is the way to go with Joanna now. I don't want another FPS. :( Sick of shooters, but I do like Joanna.

Always open for more Banjo and Jet Force Gemini too.

SimonM7

You post this and then dare to call out other posts as shit posts? GAF Hive mind is not a thing. Your post is a shining example of the very thing you are decrying.

I don't know what a GAF hive mind would even be. I'm just saying there's still a pretty harsh climate after MS missteps and PR nightmare gauntlets, and that OP shouldn't take overly harsh comments to mean that he needs to change the topic. The topic is perfectly clearly stated as it is.

If addressing those concerns makes me a "shit poster", or if my comment itself is interpreted as calling other posts "shit posts", then that's unfortunate and not my intention.

I call posts with no intention of following up or continuing the discussion a drive by post. If that has some other connotation associated with this supposed "hive mind", I have no idea.

RK128

Surely something more with Battletoads is happening? Or are they just going to be getting cameo appearances in different games?

Would love to see Fast & furriest revived, which was revealed on Rare Replay. C'mon... so many Rare characters gathered for a kart racer? That needs to happen!

Kameo 2 I'm open to as well. I did like the stuff on Rare Replay. Expanding the fantasy is fine.

As for Perfect Dark, whilst I would like to see more from that I really think third person is the way to go with Joanna now. I don't want another FPS. :( Sick of shooters, but I do like Joanna.

Always open for more Banjo too.

I could easily see Perfect Dark be Microsoft's answer to Uncharted but with a spy-theme if pulled of very well with a skilled studio behind the project (Crystal Dynamics or Remedy would be great fits).

Kameo 2 and the Rare Kart Racer would be amazing as well :D!

Banjo 3 and Battletoads have to be happening; with the latter getting ALOT of hints over the past year or so.

upt7OFO.png

Edit: This was shown off during one of their live streams and is likely a 'fun' poster (same thing with Battletoads). Only mention/show this as it has new designs for Banjo and company, potentially leading to a new game being in the works.
There is no way that Banjo design is remotely serious. This was probably just intended as a jokey piece of decoration around the office.

With replay i had the impression MS is trying to get at least some value back from this acquisition all while giving them a last shot with sea of thieves. Not really a comeback.

RK128

There is no way that Banjo design is remotely serious. This was probably just intended as a jokey piece of decoration around the office.

Which was why I made that edit to the post; it likely a joke poster (like you mention).

Didn't want to mislead anyone, so that's why the edit is there.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Yes because it looks like a ye old school Nintendo Power special issue...or at least that's what I figured they were trying to do.

Top Bottom