• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Rare coming back in a big way recently, what do you think they are doing next?

Salty Hippo

Why do people accept this revisionist history? All sources point to Rare not being forced down the Kinect rabbit hole, but choosing to go that way. Not being micromanaged by Microsoft, but being given too much creative freedom.

Seriously, put in some sources, some citations - or stop spewing bullshit.

Rare's downfall is on them and them alone.

lol, stop. There is a number of statements from high profile ex-Rare employees like Chris Seavor, Grant Kirkhope and others about this.

jholmes

There's nothing wrong with your thread. GAF is still a very, very sony/nintendo skewed place, and you're getting the expected response by baiting with xbox related excitement. Just wait for the drive by posts to wind down and I think it'll be fine.

Wow, first of all, where's the GAF where people are all nice to Nintendo? I'd like to visit this place.

Second of all, sorry that posting a mere two times in this thread qualifies as a drive-by, but some of us can't sit here hitting F5 at 1:30 in the morning.

I have nothing against people being excited for Rare Replay, it's a whole lot of content at a good price. But it doesn't come close to equalling a comeback from over a decade of mismanagement by Microsoft, full stop.

BKSmash

Would like to see banjo with glorious fur rendering...

250px-Donkey_Kong_SSB4.png

mmmhm!!

Balb

Microsoft has really pushed the Battletoads as Rare's mascot lately for whatever reason so I'd imagine a new game in that series is in line.

BKSmash

Microsoft has really pushed the Battletoads as Rare's mascot lately for whatever reason so I'd imagine a new game in that series is in line.

Yepp!

Pretty fucked up when we all know their true mascot is Banjo, and he is nowhere to be seen lately. Am I right?

Camjo-Z

My desire for a new Conker is somewhat tempered by his Project Spark appearance, though I wish they'd focus on making more episodes rather than the other PS stuff I don't care about. What I really want to see is a new Banjo though.

Yepp!

Pretty fucked up when we all know their true mascot is Banjo, and he is nowhere to be seen lately. Am I right?

I dont think theyre pushing him as Rare's main mascot xD They however are trying to push hype for Battletoads and give them more recognition. Thats how things work when you work on games, you give them recognition. Meanwhile Gregg Mayles has been talking about Banjo's origin a lot on twitter lately. Nobody has forgotten banjo. And if Im correct, Rare has made more Battletoad games than any other game. There is 5 Battletoad games.

Kinsei

Banned
I dont think theyre pushing him as Rare's main mascot xD They however are trying to push hype for Battletoads and give them more recognition. Thats how things work when you work on games, you give them recognition. Meanwhile Gregg Mayles has been talking about Banjo's origin a lot on twitter lately. Nobody has forgotten banjo. And if Im correct, Rare has made more Battletoad games than any other game. There is 5 Battletoad games.

There are 5 Banjo games too.

Hopefully a new Blast Corps. Would love to see a game with that demolition theme and just something new aside from all of the other games they made, this kind of game hasn't really existed after Blast Corps came out, which is unfortunate.

daTRUballin

Why do people accept this revisionist history? All sources point to Rare not being forced down the Kinect rabbit hole, but choosing to go that way. Not being micromanaged by Microsoft, but being given too much creative freedom.

Seriously, put in some sources, some citations - or stop spewing bullshit.

Rare's downfall is on them and them alone.

Oh yeah. Totally. It's not like a bunch of former employees like Grant Kirkhope or Chris Seavor or David Clynick, etc. have been blaming Microsoft for the whole Kinect situation.

Plus, it's not like Microsoft has any part in Rare's downfall whatsoever. It's not like they own them and are responsible for managing the company or anything. I'm guessing it was another company that did a terrible job at marketing Rare's games which made their games not sell well, which is the reason why they were working on Kinect games for half a decade.

Raven77

Just a question for all of you since these seem to be the most requested games. How would you rank your desire for sequels / reboots (whatever) to the following with rank 1 being your MOST desired and rank 7 being your LEAST desired:

- Perfect Dark
- Banjo
- Viva Pinata
- Blast Corps.
- Battle Toads
- Conker
- Kameo

For me, my rankings would be below:

1. Banjo
2. Viva Pinata
3. Blast Corps.
4. Kameo
5. Perfect Dark
6. Conker
7. Battletoads

Kinsei

Banned
Just a question for all of you since these seem to be the most requested games. How would you rank your desire for sequels / reboots (whatever) to the following with rank 1 being your MOST desired and rank 7 being your LEASE desired:

1. Banjo
2. Kameo
3. Viva Pinata
4. Perfect Dark
5. Conker
6. Battletoads

I haven't played Blast Corps yet. I'm hoping to reach it on Rare Replay this weekend.

If I were Microsoft, I would make Rare into a studio that makes a mix of small and large games. I think Rare has enough studios where they should be releasing a new game every single year. Some would be retail releases and others would be download only.

I think they should focus on new IP for the retail games until they get a hit. If they end up with a big franchise, a couple of sequels would be in order.

The smaller games would be a mix of old and new IP. I would personally love to see an episodic take on Perfect Dark that takes Joanna around the world on a series of spy missions. Each season of episodes would have a self contained story and not end with a cliff hanger. Some sort of player agency where if you go into the first episode guns blazing, the enemies in subsequent episodes would be more difficult or more heavily armored. If you go in stealth, the subsequent missions would have more guard towers or better technology.

Another thing I would love is if they modified the Conker Live and Reloaded engine and created some Banjo games to be sold digitally (and retail) for like 30 or 40 bucks. 8 to 10 worlds in each one. Super clean graphics but nothing completely mind blowing. I think they could make good business doing that.

I hope rare replay sells well enough that Microsoft sees value in these ip's and gets someone to work on a new banjo game of rare themselves do not want to do it.

Just a question for all of you since these seem to be the most requested games. How would you rank your desire for sequels / reboots (whatever) to the following with rank 1 being your MOST desired and rank 7 being your LEASE desired:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Kameo (Kind of tempted to put this at number 1, but Banjo has been gone for too long.)
3. Conker
4. Viva Pinatas
5. Battletoads
6. Jet Force Gemini
7. Perfect Dark

I would like Rare to focus more on platformers. Nintendo type games. Thats still something i find xbox is lacking. They used to do this and do it well. Why dont they do it anymore? Not as if theres a ton of those types of games, if anything its seriously lacking.

Sydle

Just a question for all of you since these seem to be the most requested games. How would you rank your desire for sequels / reboots (whatever) to the following with rank 1 being your MOST desired and rank 7 being your LEAST desired:

1. Banjo
  2. Kameo
  3. Viva Pinata*
  4. Battle Toads
  5. Perfect Dark
  6. Conker
  7. Blast Corps.

*I want another Viva Pinata only if they reboot it as an open-world game with many different regions, each with their own climates and species, allowing me to travel between them seamlessly. I don't want another game with a small plot of land and having to create multiple saves for different gardens. Let me do it all in one big open world. I'm sure they could put cloud compute to use to handle all the behavioral AI on such a large scale.

I don't care about Blast Corps or Conker any more, but I'd buy sequels to them.

You didn't list it, but I'd place Fast and Furriest in the top 3, right below Kameo 2.

I don't agree with the statement that they're coming back in a big way. At this point they're merely letting us know they exist beyond a Kinect or XBone avatar type of way.

This. When we start getting games on par with their run from the late 80's up until to about 2000 or so then we'll talk.

Right now they've made exactly one game since the MS acquisition that I liked (Nuts and Bolts), but even that game doesn't reach their glory days.

daTRUballin

With this huge Banjo fanboy leaving Rare, I just seriously doubt they're working on Banjo.
cry with me

http://karnbianco.co.uk/blog/2015/08/07/dear-rare/

Seems like this guy had a great time at Rare. People always make it seem like Rare was such a terrible place to work for during the Kinect years. They act as if the employees were chained to the floor and forced to work on Kinect games or something. But this guy worked on games like Kinect Sports Season Two and Kinect Sports Rivals and it seemed like his time at Rare was fine. *Shrugs*

RK128

- Perfect Dark
- Banjo
- Viva Pinata
- Blast Corps.
- Battle Toads
- Conker
- Kameo

For me, my rankings would be below:

1. Banjo
2. Viva Pinata
3. Blast Corps.
4. Kameo
5. Perfect Dark
6. Conker
7. Battletoads

For me, it would be like this :).

1. Banjo: With Yooka-Laylee coming, it would be nice having Banjo return to his Banjo 1 roots :).
2. Conker: Not likely, but it would be great seeing another studio tackle the IP (Insomniac handling the gameplay with the Conker creator overseeing the project)
3. Kameo: After seeing the sequel concepts in Rare Replay, I just want that to come back to life and considering how the X1 doesn't have its Zelda-like game, Kameo would be a great fit for that style of game.
4. Battletoads: This is coming regardless if people want it or not and I can't wait to see what Rare or another studio does with the IP :D.
5. Perfect Dark: Like I said in the OP, Perfect Dark presents a great opportunity for Rare and 343 Industries to make a collaboration title that lets the former gain experience in making FPS games while the latter could take a break from the Halo series for a game :).
6. Blast Corps: Using the Crackdown 3 engine, I could easily see Rare having a smaller studio work on a XBLA/Downloadable game with the IP :).
7. Viva Pinata: I only list this so low due to it being a more recent IP (first game came out in 2006 while its sequel/expansion came out in 2008). Still, it would be nice for this IP to be brought back just on the amazing visuals the game could have on the X1; the 360 games are some of the best looking games on that platform :').

Top Bottom