• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Montresor

This game reminds me a little of Half Life 2. Dystopian envrionment with an oppressive government, and a lot of long sections where you are completely isolated.

I think I'm a little more than halfway through the game. I am very very pleasantly surprised by the quiet exploration chapters that have come up.

So is Wolfenstein 2009 not on Steam anymore? I'm in a kind of kill-nazi mode right now and was thinking about playing through that again.

EDIT: nevermind, guys, I found it on Amazon for $152. For a second I was worried I wouldn't be able to play this.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Finished the game just moments ago. Great game. What surprised me the most was how well told and written the story was. Hardly original really, but it did the somber tone a lot better than many other games. It does clash a bit with the tone of the gameplay sometimes though.

So, how does replaying the game work then? If I wanna go for the über-thropy, do I have to restart or is it enough to play through the individual chapters so I can keep all the perks and what not?

Levyne

Banned
Finished the game just moments ago. Great game. What surprised me the most was how well told and written the story was. Hardly original really, but it did the somber tone a lot better than many other games. It does clash a bit with the tone of the gameplay sometimes though.

So, how does replaying the game work then? If I wanna go for the über-thropy, do I have to restart or is it enough to play through the individual chapters so I can keep all the perks and what not?

Use Chapter Select, not New Game. As soon as you get a collectible, you have it, period, don't need to finish the chapter. However, if you want to get all the Health/Armor Upgrades, which are only available in the Fergus/Wyatt timelines respectively, then you'll have to finish out those chapters anyways. If you want the Uber diffculty trophy, you just have to replay Chapter 16 on Uber.

-MD-

I went through the entire game not realizing there was a weapon wheel. Only used two guns the entire game, most of the time the backup gun being the cutter that needs to be charged at battery stations. lol?

Wow...

EBE

i hated the weapon wheel. i just used voice commands.

can i not level select if i want to start up a 999 play though?

i hated the weapon wheel. i just used voice commands.
Well now I've got to try this. Sometimes the oversensitivity in the wheel would lead to me equipping the wrong weapon.

Is there a voice command for switching to another set of dual weapons, or do you have to say "Assault" and then "Dual Wield"?

EBE

Well now I've got to try this. Sometimes the oversensitivity in the wheel would lead to me equipping the wrong weapon.

Is there a voice command for switching to another set of dual weapons, or do you have to say "Assault" and then "Dual Wield"?

yeah. the weapon name then dual wield or single wield. it worked well enough in my experience. it takes a second, but then i would just hide in cover for the selection to go through. i dont think its any worse than accidentally selecting the wrong weapon in the heat of combat. in fact id rather not have that happen, hence my disdain for the wheel (i always felt like i wasnt choosing what i wanted)

Just finished the game fully. Enigma code #2 once solved is a blast!

Walk in the Park Mode. Disables all HUD except for interactive prompts and is on I AM DEATH INCARNATE difficulty.

yXTrzpc.gif

LMAOOO

loved this movie growing up :)

olimpia84

I'm still early in the game slowly making progress playing this on Uber mode. I keep getting distracted by Battlefield 4 but yeah, so far I've had a blast with this game.

Metal-Geo

Would love if Machine Games (or rather, Bethesda) decided to release id Studio. I know it'd be incredibly pointless - especially after the failure of the RAGE tool kit. But this game has a depressingly lack of long hallways filled with enemies I can blast through with dual-wielding auto-shotties!

Got home from vacation so put a few more hours into the game earlier. At level 10 right now. Enjoying it but I've been having a hell of a time with some of the waves of enemies.

I've actually been enjoying the Lazerkraftwerk as well, recharging can be taxing but I suppose it adds a sense of urgency. And at least you know you'll be able to find ammo for it.

The underwater bike (or whatever it was called) was really irritating to control. Probably my only complaint of the game thus far. I know some people didn't like the stealth areas in the camp and such, but it feels like a Bond game to me. I dig it

Can someone give me a decent overview of the story? It's too hard to tell from people saying it's terrible aka normal to decent to great. How is the dialogue and stuff? Is it like KZSF standard which is lower than good or is it like Dishonored or what?

Charleston

Neo Member
So far, so good for me, currently on chapter 5 or 6.

Thought it was interesting for him to turn helmets into a complete armor set.

Then I saw him turn metal batons into armor too, hilarious.

Can someone give me a decent overview of the story? It's too hard to tell from people saying it's terrible aka normal to decent to great. How is the dialogue and stuff? Is it like KZSF standard which is lower than good or is it like Dishonored or what?

Are you familiar with Riddick or The Darkness? If yes, it's as good as that stuff.

If you're not, the dialogue is written very well, all the performances are well directed, all the dialogue is natural and BJ has some legitimately entertaining lines sprinkled in there. It's very earnest and does a solid job of jumping between heartfelt, grindhouse, and straight faced serious. It's miles above Shadow Fall and most other recent shooters iMO.

Levyne

Banned

Lots of varying opinions. Mine is that the plot itself is standard, the dialogue and delivery is good, some of BJs musings to himself were cheesy.

I should probably ask, how easy is this game on normal? I just started but I'm not sure if I should up the difficulty.

Generally pretty easy.

dreamfall

I'm only up to Chapter 12- but Chapter 10 was by far one of my favorites. The slower paced exploration felt refreshing, and it was pretty eerie exploring in the purest of isolation. Ramona's diaries also were psychopathic as all hell (warranted for damn sure) but it added to the great tension.

JackHerer

Grr. I just downloaded on Steam and am getting an error message about a missing executable file. I've downloaded hundreds of game on Steam including Watch_Dogs just yesterday and have never run into this problem.

Tried verifying game files but no luck. I guess I'll have to reinstall :( Looking forward to playing the game!

gstaff

FYI for players on PS4 -- we talked to Sony after hearing some complaints about the sound mix. They let us know about a systems setting that should help -- and it's good to know for all your games if you're running on a 5.1 setup.

I'm usually pretty good about tweaking console system settings, but I definitely missed this.

To ensure you are getting proper audio playback, please check to make sure you have the latest system firmware installed and that your PS4 system settings are supported by your audio system
  • Make sure your PS4 firmware is v.1.7 or later
  • Hit the PS button to go to your system menu
  • Go to Settings
  • From Settings, go to Sound and Screen
  • From Sound and Screen, select Audio Output Settings
  • From Audio Output Settings, select Primary Output Port
  • From Primary Output Port, select HDMI OUT
  • On the Primary output Port screen, you should see a checkbox prompt asking you if you want to output to 5.1
  • Check the box, then re-run the game

Tried verifying game files but no luck. I guess I'll have to reinstall :( Looking forward to playing the game!

Good luck. If that doesn't work, you can always reach out at help.bethsoft.com.

FYI for players on PS4 -- we talked to Sony after hearing some complaints about the sound mix. They let us know about a systems setting that should help -- and it's good to know for all your games if you're running on a 5.1 setup.

I'm usually pretty good about tweaking console system settings, but I definitely missed this.

Good luck. If that doesn't work, you can always reach out at help.bethsoft.com.

Thx man

I can tell you that there is a scene where an African American man confronts you about racism in American and throws some comparisons with the Nazis. The dialogue has to be pretty good because I didn't cringe once. Human interactions are better than expected, one would expect an action video game to not be able to pull off that scene.

Gangxxter

Do you have any tips for PC players too?

Cubed

I need some tips for the final boss fight on Uber. I'm going for the trophy for beating the game on Uber (and using the exploit of just replaying Chapter 16 on Uber), and the entire chapter was fine... until the last stage of the last fight.

I go into the battle fully armed and with about 600HP. I nail the boss with all my grenades and rockets immediately (all making impact), and then he still slaughters me. Any tactics/maneuvers I should try to utilize?

I saw the video of the guy going in with like 800+HP, but I simply am not getting the same amount... I think I used up too much of the health lying around during an earlier stage of the fight.

jamesjmorton

Neo Member
I need some tips for the final boss fight on Uber....

I go into the battle fully armed and with about 600HP. I nail the boss with all my grenades and rockets immediately (all making impact), and then he still slaughters me. Any tactics/maneuvers I should try to utilize?

You are wasting all those grenades / rockets.

Attack him until you hear him scream. Then he becomes invincible for a few seconds so any ammunition is wasted until he starts moving again.

Cubed

You are wasting all those grenades / rockets.

Attack him until you hear him scream. Then he becomes invincible for a few seconds so any ammunition is wasted until he starts moving again.

So, just to be 100% clear, when he sort of "shuts down" and stops moving, you can't deal damage to him?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I went through the entire game not realizing there was a weapon wheel. Only used two guns the entire game, most of the time the backup gun being the cutter that needs to be charged at battery stations. lol?

Brilliant. I love stuff like this.

It reminds me when I walked epic distances in Oblivion before I realised that I could use a horse. Ha ha.

Moff

I need some tips for the final boss fight on Uber. I'm going for the trophy for beating the game on Uber (and using the exploit of just replaying Chapter 16 on Uber), and the entire chapter was fine... until the last stage of the last fight.

I saw the video of the guy going in with like 800+HP, but I simply am not getting the same amount... I think I used up too much of the health lying around during an earlier stage of the fight.

I did it with the LKW.
hit him with it in sniper mode, he screams, sprint to the recharge station thats the farthest away from him (he will kill you in seconds if he is too close to you) he should always be at least half a rooms distance away from you. do it like that, and its safe.

repeat about 10 times, he dies. took me about 5 tries.

Shadownet

Banned
Am I the only one that didn't use the Über glitch?

I played the entire game on Über difficulty, died like 5 times against the London Monitor and then 6-7 times against Deathshead before I figured out how to beat him.

Playing it on Über made it so much fun though, perfect amount of challenge and fun.

The ONLY major complaint I have about this game is the weapon wheel. Its a bit too... I don't know what's the word... Sensitive? Sometimes you end up selecting the pistol when you meant to select the assault rifle, plus trying to swap your alternate weapon with one from your wheel is kinda difficult cause it wont swap unless you do it in a specific order.

I wish we could map 4 weapons to the D-pad. But I guess you can't since its taken by the alternate firing mode. But they could have map it to the touchpad on the PS4. Swipe Up, down, left right for different weapon.

Other than that. This game is my GOTY so far.

Good luck knocking it off Destiny, Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition.

DieH@rd

Banned
I wish we could map 4 weapons to the D-pad. But I guess you can't since its taken by the alternate firing mode. But they could have map it to the touchpad on the PS4. Swipe Up, down, left right for different weapon.

Yeah, weapon wheel is not implemented well for use in firefights.

Pastry

Banned
Is this affecting everyone? I guess I either got Superhuman hearing or I'm not affected by it.

I hope they'll fix this soon for you guys. Seem like an easy fix.

I'm playing Watch Dogs at the same time at this and the sound in Wolfenstein is definitely messed up. I thought my surround sound had died at first.

Top Bottom