• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm playing on ps4 and yeah the sound mix is atrocious, conversations are so quiet I can hardly hear them.

I thought there were options in the PS4's sound options to resolve this. I'm sure someone mentioned it earlier on in this thread.

sjay1994

Well then, I just platinumed it.

Feel pretty indifferent to this game all said and done.

I loathed returning to the base, I liked the stealth, but felt the gunplay parts were tedious. The armored shotgun guys are the WORST bullet sponges I have ever seen in a game. I never complain about bullet sponges in games since typically you can kill them by shooting them in the head. But when I dual weild two shrapnel shotguns and unload them into your face, point blank, and you are still alive.... fuck off.

Yeah, I know that using lasers or rockets makes them easier to kill... but that is still bullshit.

The few sections where you can engage stealth are great though.

Also, the dual storyline thing felt arbitrary at best. There is almost no good reason to pick wyatt over fergus, since fergus is characterized way more than wyatt is. Only good thing out of wyatt is J.

Lines are hit or miss. Also enjoyed the fact BJ might be the most unkillable protagonist in a video game.

So all in all, things I liked and things I am not crazy about.

I think most of my negatives come from the fact I am kinda bored of shooting people in video games at this point. I will take stealth over shooting anyday.

Will probably trade it in for something... maybe batman or last of us, if I feel like it.

cheezcake

What's this sound mixing problem everyone is talking about? I played the PS4 version.

Is this a PC problem?

PS4 version here, I've played through headphones and through TV speakers and both are messed up. Essentially the positional audio seems broken.

The loudness of a gun fired by an enemy doesnt seem to change much from when their 10 metres away to 1 metre away, footsteps are so damn quiet they're basically non existent, and music varies between too loud or too quiet, sometimes gets in the way of dialogue whereas other times I feel like I'm playing some epic passage of gameplay and the music to go along with it is just so quiet.

Interfectum

Well I did my part... just sold two friends on this game who both bought it at full price on Steam (they usually only buy games on steam sale).

Moff

Yeah, I know that using lasers or rockets makes them easier to kill... but that is still bullshit.

I dont agree. I love how different weapons are better or worse for certain enemies. so much better than just using the same 2 weapons for the whole game. this and the fact that there is no weapon limit, and some weapons have even different modes that turn them into completely new weapons is really what makes the gameplay of this game so good. with that, even the simple handgun is still a good weapon in the last levels of the game, and thats a great thing.

Gangxxter

PS4 version here, I've played through headphones and through TV speakers and both are messed up. Essentially the positional audio seems broken.

The loudness of a gun fired by an enemy doesnt seem to change much from when their 10 metres away to 1 metre away, footsteps are so damn quiet they're basically non existent, and music varies between too loud or too quiet, sometimes gets in the way of dialogue whereas other times I feel like I'm playing some epic passage of gameplay and the music to go along with it is just so quiet.

Pretty much this. This is a problem across all platforms. I play on PC with headphones and the sound mixing is really messed up. As said, positional audio is virtually not existent and the voices are way too quiet.

I guess the reason for those problems is a fundamental flaw in the audio programming which isn't easy to fix with a a small patch.

notBald

That's good to know. Singularity is one my favourite FPS in recent years.

I'm surprised how many in this thread like Singularity. I got it at launch, for no other reason but thinking it similar to TimeShift. I recall being disappointed and never finishing the game. Will have to give it another chance. Perhaps I simply wasn't in the right mood.

codhand

I'm surprised how many in this thread like Singularity. I got it at launch, for no other reason but thinking it similar to TimeShift. I recall being disappointed and never finishing the game. Will have to give it another chance. Perhaps I simply wasn't in the right mood.

Singularity is pretty good, especially on PC. It's fairly unoriginal gameplay, but it looks and plays great.

Duxxy3

I'm playing on ps4 and yeah the sound mix is atrocious, conversations are so quiet I can hardly hear them.

There are audio issues with the XB1 version as well (not conversations though).

I just stopped caring about any of it, and just played the game by sight, instead of usual audio cues for help (like every other FPS created).

Shadownet

Banned
Well then, I just platinumed it.

Feel pretty indifferent to this game all said and done.

I loathed returning to the base, I liked the stealth, but felt the gunplay parts were tedious. The armored shotgun guys are the WORST bullet sponges I have ever seen in a game. I never complain about bullet sponges in games since typically you can kill them by shooting them in the head. But when I dual weild two shrapnel shotguns and unload them into your face, point blank, and you are still alive.... fuck off.

The few sections where you can engage stealth are great though.

Also, the dual storyline thing felt arbitrary at best. There is almost no good reason to pick wyatt over fergus, since fergus is characterized way more than wyatt is. Only good thing out of wyatt is J.

Lines are hit or miss. Also enjoyed the fact BJ might be the most unkillable protagonist in a video game.

So all in all, things I liked and things I am not crazy about.

I think most of my negatives come from the fact I am kinda bored of shooting people in video games at this point. I will take stealth over shooting anyday.

Will probably trade it in for something... maybe batman or last of us, if I feel like it.

1) I like returning to base, give you a chance to talk to all the side characters, plus its a chance to rest after all the crazy missions.

2) the shotgun guys are annoying at first too, but using rocket launcher or LKW finish them off in one or two shots. And I disagree, having enemies that specify you to using a particular weapon is great, in real life, you wouldn't be using a hand gun trying to blow up a tank would you?

3) the dual storyline might be arbitrary, but at least its still fun the second time around and the minor changes are interesting to see.

4) B.J. is the John McClane of video games.

5) I went through half the game just using silence pistol and throwing knifes. So outside of those forced encounter battles. I'm glad the game give you an option to use stealth.

BashNasty

Reading through this thread I find it crazy how many of you guys are (seemingly) playing on Uber difficulty. How are you playing the game exactly? Super slow and steady? I've been playing through the entire game on the default middle difficulty, and I've found it quite challenging at times. Enemies take you down fast if you're out of cover, and given that you occasionally have to scrounge for ammo (love the game, but if I had one complaint, it's that you don't get enough ammo) it's possible to find yourself in some really bad situations from time to time.

I'm actually about halfway through
the Moon base level
and I just knocked the difficulty down a notch as I found the game becoming a little too crushing for my liking. So yea, if you're playing on uber, what's your play style?

Cubed

Welp,

I'm done with this game for a long while.
I've tried every technique, weapon, and tactic on the final stage of the last boss on Uber difficulty and I just can't beat him.

Really buzz-killed me on the game. Not saying it's really the game's fault, or that it's bad, but I was simply enjoying my entire time with it until this frustrating part.

Some games you know are a challenge and that's the fun, but with this game I just enjoyed blowing Nazis away and exploring.

I'll come back to it later.

Welp,

I've tried every technique, weapon, and tactic on the final stage of the last boss on Uber difficulty and I just can't beat him.

Really buzz-killed me on the game. Not saying it's really the game's fault, or that it's bad, but I was simply enjoying my entire time with it until this frustrating part.

Some games you know are a challenge and that's the fun, but with this game I just enjoyed blowing Nazis away and exploring.

Why don't you just lower the difficulty?

DieH@rd

Banned
Reading through this thread I find it crazy how many of you guys are (seemingly) playing on Uber difficulty. How are you playing the game exactly? Super slow and steady? I've been playing through the entire game on the default middle difficulty, and I've found it quite challenging at times. Enemies take you down fast if you're out of cover, and given that you occasionally have to scrounge for ammo (love the game, but if I had one complaint, it's that you don't get enough ammo) it's possible to find yourself in some really bad situations from time to time.

the Moon base level
and I just knocked the difficulty down a notch as I found the game becoming a little too crushing for my liking. So yea, if you're playing on uber, what's your play style?

Stealth if possible, defensive in fights. But it is still very fun, and often possible to go on very satisfying offensive in early levels. Later... not so much.

Levyne

Banned
If the last boss flinches and puts up his arms, he's apparently invulnerable for a time, so make sure you only fire as many rockets/lasers/whatever until he gets back to his normal stance.

Jito

Banned
Welp,

Lower the difficulty?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think PSN gave those codes only for preorders, and only to US PSN users.

That was to be the case originally but it may have changed (the pre-order exclusivity, I mean). Since XBL doesn't support pre-ordering just yet Bethesda had to make a post-release cut-off period, which apparently also applied to the Steam version; ergo, it may have also applied to the PSN version, too, but again I don't know (and unlike Steam there's no way to quickly and easily check).

Reading some impressions in here I am really interested now. I love a well done single player FPS and it has been a while since one has really hit. Might have to get it very soon.

the Moon base level

Playing on Hard, I spent almost 25-30 minutes on the encounter when
you steal the train
It was a satisfying challenge though and forced me to keep rethinking my strategy :)

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME

Cubed

Lower the difficulty?

Two people said this.

I'm trophy-hunting. Lowering the difficulty isn't an option as I'm just 4 trophies from a Platinum.

Like I said, no biggie; I just need to take a break for 2-3 days and go back to it with a fresh mind.

Gangxxter

Reading some impressions in here I am really interested now. I love a well done single player FPS and it has been a while since one has really hit. Might have to get it very soon.
Do it! You won't regret it.

PSA:

Note that I'm referring to Steam. I can't comment on PSN/XBL.
Speaking of Doom 4 Beta codes, is anybody able to redeem his code? When I try to visit http://doom-beta.wolfenstein.com/ I get a "403 Forbidden" error.
Same thing happens when I try to play Wolfenstein 3D in the browser: http://3d.wolfenstein.com/

Moofers

Do it, mang. I wasn't going to wait for a sale or maybe just pass it up altogether until one of my best friends talked me into it. The first 45 mins was pretty but not mind-blowing, and then once I got past that point, it really took off and went from competent to pretty great. Best part is that as I go it just keeps up the momentum.

Moofers

BTW, is it possible to finish the level when you're in that flashback sequence? I got to the point where I could see the exit door and then I woke up. Wondering if its on a timer or if it just ends there no matter what?

This.

At first I was playing through my 5.1 surround, so thinking it was being masked somehow, so I switched to dem Sony Gold Wireless & even tried a bunch of the different EQ settings... nada...

Either patch it so the levels are balanced or give the typical segretaed volume bars in the menu prease!

Virzeth

Do it! You won't regret it.

Speaking of Doom 4 Beta codes, is anybody able to redeem his code? When I try to visit http://doom-beta.wolfenstein.com/ I get a "403 Forbidden" error.
Did you try to clear cache /disable cookies /open the page in incognito mode /Hola (not sure I'm allowed to link to it, even if I don't see why not - it's just a free VPN), for example? Both pages work for me.

Same thing happens when I try to play Wolfenstein 3D in the browser: http://3d.wolfenstein.com/
I had no idea this was a thing. Thank you.

BTW, is it possible to finish the level when you're in that flashback sequence? I got to the point where I could see the exit door and then I woke up. Wondering if its on a timer or if it just ends there no matter what?
Not 100% sure, but I think
the elevator
is as far as the level goes. Replayed it twice on my first run on Death Incarnate hoping to have missed some secret passages or something, but I guess that's it.

Gangxxter

Did you try to clear cache /disable cookies /open the page in incognito mode /Hola (not sure I'm allowed to link to it, even if I don't see why not - it's just a free VPN), for example? Both pages work for me.
Indeed it was a problem with my Opera browser. I tried it with Firefox and I could successfully redeem my Doom Beta key. Thanks for the heads up!

codhand

Just finished. Really enjoyed it. I loved the way the plot moved the chapters along in a way that showed good progression of characters and of the rebellion.

A lot of the big plot points fell flat for me because this wasn't the tongue in cheek Quentin Tarantino script, it was decidedly more Terrence Malick, which for me made the game seem like two opposing ends with gameplay being at one, story the other. The cutscenes themselves could've used better continuity rather than the jarring cuts to gameplay and back.

That said there were a lot of good shock value and badassery moments that I will never forget.
The gameplay was varied and interesting in the same way I recall the Metro series of games being.

I loved Chronicles of Riddick, I loved The Darkness and I loved this. It is the better game of the three, and certainly the most entertaining.

Drewfonse

Is it possible to play the game before this loooooong ass Xbox One game update finishes? Because I have a precious two hrs to play, and I'm pissed that it's being spent DLing a freaking update.

Finally beat the wave of enemies at the
train, chapter 10 I think? Had a lot of trouble with the 3 supersoldiers but figured out a strategy that worked

Started the U-Boat mission earlier, such a cool level. Nice to get back to the straightforward violence

Vibranium

Banned
I finished the game, really loved it and while I can see there being problems with seriousness and insanity mixing together, it was still an amazing game. I can say that I'm pretty sure
B.J. is not dead, he'll be back. There's still presumably Hitler and the rest of the world to liberate from the Nazis.

Going to play through Fergus' timeline now and unlock extra modes.

I love that this game does one of my favourite things from Hitman Blood Money, newspaper clippings detailing your previous missions:

ibi41rz6tEnOkw.jpg

iA3Sd2hh7EKKx.jpg

ikFS8vwJpBP1m.jpg

iHq8CLhfnXghI.jpg

AlterOdin

Just finished as well. Was a very entertaining ride, but got some gripes with it.

My gripes:

1. The pacing was fine for the first chapters, but after 6 (ish) it got a little to familiar.
2. Set-pieces; that is the lack of them. There were not really (in my opinion) enough memorable moments. Loved the plane crash in while scaling the wall, wish there were more moments like this. The moon was a missed opportunity.
3. Boss fights: There werent really any boss fights expect deathshead and I guess the hanger mech fight. Deathshead fight was classic, but I expected more for the final climax. Yet again the moon was a missed opptunity, some zero G boss fight would have been awesome. Edit: forgot about the stompy machine fight, which was nice (little personality to it dough).
4. Backstory: Really missed some backstory of characters and situations; how did deathshead find out about the secret (techincally advanced) society (can't remember they name, now referred as SS :/). How did SS fit into this (who, why and how), some backstory would be appreciated. Where were all the other big names in this story; Hitler, Gobbels, Himmler, etc. Jimi Hendrix look alike significance? (Or was supposed to actual be Jimi). Suicide car driver, etc. A little more information about what happened the last 16 years. Maybe this was in notes, but did not read to much of them in detail.
5. The fucking moon: I was really looking forward to this level, but it was the most boring level in the game; with bland environments/enemy's mixed with a short "walk on the moon"-segment with a few general droid enemies, they could have done a lot more with this.

But I liked the story (of what was told), characters (of who which they chose to develop), the gun-play (and general gameplay), stealth that actually worked (not to fancy not to useless), "Tarantino"-esc presentation, gibs, over the top action. Can't wait for what MacineGames put out next.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am running this on my PC and it gives me that error about low system memory. I closed the notification and then it ran for a while. The game crashed back to Steam. Anyone else have this problem?

Jeez.. the bucket list of spoilers here.

Gangxxter

I am running this on my PC and it gives me that error about low system memory. I closed the notification and then it ran for a while. The game crashed back to Steam. Anyone else have this problem?

Jeez.. the bucket list of spoilers here.
Some wild guesses:
Try to set VT Cache Size to low, enable VT Compress and turn down Max PPF to 16.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Some wild guesses:
Try to set VT Cache Size to low, enable VT Compress and turn down Max PPF to 16.

Thanks, I'm going to try it out. id must of worked on this before they gave it to MachineGames? Just kidding

Update: It seems to be working. Some of the textures on the face are blurry, same with some of the objects, but overall it runs really good.

The main thing I've taken away from playing this game is that most FPSs these days try to be way too realistic and end up being stupid. That's why we end up playing in a near present day world with all sorts of serious issues like terrorism etc and just two weapon slots. What the devs don't get is they're still as unrealistic as ever - what with a single generic American protagonist mowing down thousands of enemies while maintaining perfectly stabilized vision and recharging health in a few seconds after being shot in the chest. What Wolfenstein gets right is that it tries to be fun by removing all the stupid constraints we deal with in the modern day shooter set like weapon slots and hip firing. Even not having recharging health adds a lot of tension and strategy to firefights. I look forward eagerly to the PS4 version of Shadow Warrior and I'm going to find it extremely hard to go back to the other modern generic shooters after this.

sflufan

Banned
I am extremely surprised at the incidental character conversations and the collectible letters in this game. They are very well-written and -- dare I say -- touching.

One letter that stood out the most to me was
the one that you get in the concentration camp after you complete the quest to get medicine for the sick prisoner. The letter tells the story of a lesbian who in order to escape persecution married a Waffen SS officer and had her lover as one of the bridesmaids at the wedding.

hat's as far as I'll relate of the letter, but it was one of the more poignant ones in the game and one of the most memorable things I've seen in a game in quite some time.

friday

"One of the best storyline-driven FPS I've ever played."

"So, what does this game do right that so many games do wrong? Well, in short, EVERYTHING."

"I think this is one of the best of the year. Any year, because it's that damn good."

Yeah, this is the exact kind of game he would love. God now I want to play some more.

sflufan

Banned
The game's main problem is the sound engineering/audio mix.

It is BAAAAAAD. Like one of the worst I've heard for a major release in quite some time!

Top Bottom