• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman has surpassed Suicide Squad and BvS domestic Box Office

a916

WW surpassing BvS makes BvS look even worse. I still don't understand how you have two of the most recognizable heroes and don't make mad bank. On the bright side, I love that people love WW.

Is this rhetorical? I imagine poor word of mouth/reviews/less repeat viewings...

BvS may have been critically lambasted, did less numbers, and just wasn't as good as Wonder Woman, yes. But hating on the movie is a boring and tired cliché at this point.

So Wonder Woman told an inspiring tale featuring a powerful immigrant freshly introduced and seeing our world for the first time, and that's good, and people needed it.

hXrgL9W.gif

BvS told a dark tale of an immigrant who has always been here, was a part of our world from the inside and felt he belonged, who then revealed his true power, and lost that sense of belonging when he saw how the America around him recoiled in fear.

I have the sense that if these movies grow shallow and weary the audience of their escapism, people will look back on BvS more kindly.

The movie... TRIED to tell the story you described, but ultimately got bogged down by, ironically, being too "comic booky" and trying to feature too many characters and weightless "moments" that ultimately made the film a superficial and dumb affair. I consider BvS dumber than most CBM simply because it actually attempts, at times, to tell a meaningful story... only then for the audience to be side-swiped by a silly and ridiculous portrayal of Luthor, or meaningless violence with no explanation, or a fight with a giant ogre.

It's too bad because with some small changes to the script, this could've been an excellent movie, it just tried way too hard to jumpstart a movie franchise that it fell flat on its face.

Veelk

Banned
Well, if nothing else, BvS can always claim that it's the first movie depicting wonder woman as the best hero in the DCEU.

ArmGunar

Well deserved, a very good movie ! En route for $400M domestic and $780M worldwide

But I still prefer Batman v Superman

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So glad. I felt like I was living through some dark times as a DC fan, like they'd never get anything right

Wonder Woman was some sweet relief

Solo

Makes you wonder if Whedon/WB is frantically editing Justice League to frame as much of it as possible around WW. I know I would.

a916

Makes you wonder if Whedon/WB is frantically editing Justice League to frame as much of it as possible around WW. I know I would.

That's not the right lesson to take... they should be frantically working to make the best movie possible. Wonder Woman is clearly set, a fan favourite, she doesn't need extra work to get over.

That would be the wrong thing to do. Using poor takes because they feature WW would be a move of desperation that would undercut the movie (if they didn't have enough decent WW footage).

If it causes the story to make less sense, wrecks the flow, etc. That would be bad. They had no way of really knowing how well WW would do, so the story structure includes her probably as much as Bats, at most - and probably Bats more so.

I'm guessing they have positioned him as the leader, with WW kinda second in command. They seem to be forming the league together, but it was his idea.

We shall see. It's tempting to just take a note from the studio and go with "More WW at any cost!" - could be their undoing.

Solo

That's not the right lesson to take... they should be frantically working to make the best movie possible. Wonder Woman is clearly set, a fan favourite, she doesn't need extra work to get over.

It's not about putting her over, it's about the realization that audiences clearly connect with her optimism and heroism more than these dour versions of Superman and Batman.

I think it's not only possible, but plausible that once WB got a sense of how Wonder Woman would play, that they shifted Justice League's rewrites/reshoots to give her a more prominent role.

Again, Whedon got brought on to that film a lot earlier than anyone realized, and has been a part of fixing it in post for awhile now.

Firemind

I think it's not only possible, but plausible that once WB got a sense of how Wonder Woman would play, that they shifted Justice League's rewrites/reshoots to give her a more prominent role.

Again, Whedon got brought on to that film a lot earlier than anyone realized, and has been a part of fixing it in post for awhile now.
So there will be ass shots of Wonder Woman now?

JCHandsom

He needed time to write in where Wonder Woman bemoans not being able to have kids /s

Tankard

Well deserved, WW is twice the film these two are and i didn't even consider it one of the best Superhero movies i watched the last few years, but it's a very good one.

Savitar

Beyond well deserved, so many were worried about this movie before it came out. And look how it ended up! Can't blame people for being fearful on what might happen but seeing this movie being a triumph is damn fantastic.

Wonder Woman right now is a character that needs to shine more than ever.

Anth0ny

There's only so much you can fix in post, though. Turning a Snyder comic book film into something... optimistic and likeable seems downright impossible.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The movie... TRIED to tell the story you described, but ultimately got bogged down by, ironically, being too "comic booky" and trying to feature too many characters and weightless "moments" that ultimately made the film a superficial and dumb affair. I consider BvS dumber than most CBM simply because it actually attempts, at times, to tell a meaningful story... only then for the audience to be side-swiped by a silly and ridiculous portrayal of Luthor, or meaningless violence with no explanation, or a fight with a giant ogre.

It's too bad because with some small changes to the script, this could've been an excellent movie, it just tried way too hard to jumpstart a movie franchise that it fell flat on its face.

Agreed!

PopeReal

Just caught a matinee on Wednesday.

Very good, at times great movie. Gal Gidot handled the role much better than I expected (from what I heard about her acting skills).

Girlfriend really liked it too.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yes it is.

I'm so sick of people saying they are.

Most disappointing films? A stretch but okay. Worst? Megan Is Missing is far worse. Worst third act of any film I've ever seen.

How hard is it to fill a grave for fuck sake? Last ten minutes kill an already atrocious film completely.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I thoughy it would be BvS but....

Maybe this Reeves Batman joint which will be amazing hopefully

Wishful thinkong from me Aquaman makes $750 mill
WB marketing machine is strong, Aquaman is gonna make bank.

Top Bottom