• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Xbox] Correction: We’ve spent over 100K hours testing your favorite games from XB1, including existing backward compatible 360 & OG Xbox games, on Xb

Great work from Microsoft and the BC team as expected.

And by the way...
thousands > hundred

Reading is hard:

We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

Especially when it involves console wars.

lynux3

That's curious because I thought I read:
"I guess this means Xbox Series X will also only support 100 games at launch, right guys, right!?!"

I must be seeing things in addition to not understanding new math
If you have difficulty associating that in recent discussion here I can't help you. Not sure what math you're trying to inject here... didn't realize that a single number turns into a math problem.

Rockondevil

Don't be so obtuse and stubborn man. He clearly said thousands. It would have been a lot easier for him to say "every game", "all games", "100%", but he didn't. End of story.

Hardly end of story, but feel free to ignore what you choose. Obviously they can't say "all games" or "100%" as it isn't all games from Xbox. It is ALL Xbox One games with whatever is currently BC from 360 and OG Xbox + whatever they add in the meantime.

CJY

Banned
1pl4p0g.png

FranXico

Don't be so obtuse and stubborn man. He clearly said thousands. It would have been a lot easier for him to say "every game", "all games", "100%", but he didn't. End of story.
Would have been dishonest to claim such a thing.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
What do you have in mind?
I say except for Kinect(since they are discontinuing it) everything else will be backwards compatible. Will change my profile pic and name to some Sony stuff for a while if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJY

CJY

Banned
I say except for Kinect(since they are discontinuing it) everything else will be backwards compatible. Will change my profile pic and name to some Sony stuff if you want.
Hahah, I thought you were gonna put forth some real stakes.

Listen, I'm almost every game and potentially every game will be supported, but the bottom line is that the current stance is that not all games are supported, as things stand.

Keep your avatar and name. We'll just see how it plays out without jumping to too many conclusions.

Journey

Banned
Same as Ps5 then, im ok with that.

PS5: We will have nearly 100 games available at launch (90 games?)
XSX: We will have thousands of games available at launch (2000+?)

Yep, exactly the same LMFAO, this is getting so pathetic! why do fanboys try to normalize everything? is it to feel better about their console of their choice? just be happy with what you have and stop diminishing the advantage of your competitor to make yourself feel better, just feel better without the bullshit.

Bernkastel

Listen, I'm almost every game and potentially every game will be supported, but the bottom line is that the current stance is that not all games are supported, as things stand.

Keep your avatar and name. We'll just see how it plays out without jumping to too many conclusions.
Like what the hell am I supposed put on stake on NeoGaf ?

TLZ

Banned
sony has around 100 confirmed titles working bia BC while this states xbox has thousands (including games from the og xbox and 360, which increases the overall library as ps5 will likely be strictly bc to ps4.)
Sony recofirmed they have most, if not all working. It's just the PS5 boost mode they're testing.

Bernkastel

Yep, exactly the same LMFAO, this is getting so pathetic! why do fanboys try to normalize everything? is it to feel better about their console of their choice? just be happy with what you have and stop diminishing the advantage of your competitor to make yourself feel better, just feel better without the bullshit.
They said 100 enhanced for PS5. Rest are the PS4/Pro version.

Last edited:
It's obviously going to be what the current situation is. That being it'll play all Xbox one Games and a shit load from previous gens.
I'm sure some of the really old games on all platforms have some licensing issues and companies not existing anymore to allow them.
I'm glad they're continuing their efforts to BC for the people who want it.

To all fanboys, read the bolded above. This is why both Sony AND MS can't promise 100% BC or even give a specific figure.

Remember also that Disney just bought a load of shit in the past 24 months, changing a lot of licensing.

Bernkastel

If Microsoft wants to move closer to PC, they should give the tools they use to enhance the games to us. It worked out great when the tools used to make Halo games were given to the fans(Forge).

Codes 208

Gold Member
Source? As far as I know they never said how many games are working, just that most PS4 games would work at launch (and there are thousands of those, so it has to be more than 100.)
This was regarding their statement during the gdc, i believe theres even a thread or two regarding it, but i wasnt aware of the updated post.
Sony recofirmed they have most, if not all working. It's just the PS5 boost mode they're testing.
Ah, that makes more sense.

Hotspurr

Banned
So Microsoft does diligence on thousands of games across 3 generations and guarantees that they will work.
Sony tests 100 games across one generation, and *believes* many other games "should work" too

People, there is a difference lol

I don't care how big of a Sony fanboy you are, you are getting a half baked console at launch, AT BEST.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So Microsoft does diligence on thousands of games across 3 generations and guarantees that they will work.
Sony tests 100 games across one generation, and *believes* many other games "should work" too

People, there is a difference lol

I don't care how big of a Sony fanboy you are, you are getting a half baked console at launch, AT BEST.

Another with reading comprehension issues blinded by fanboyizzzzm lol

Hotspurr

Banned
Another with reading comprehension issues blinded by fanboyizzzzm lol

Luuuullzzzz

825 GB SSD = half baked
Boost clock to get to 10.2 TF, bounce between GPU and CPU load = half baked
Only 100 reliably tested PS4 BC games = half baked
3D audio solution really only working for headphones = half baked
Unclear about performance of 3rd party SSDs (due to controller priority levels) = half baked

The more I hear about PS5 the more I realize it needed more time in the oven.

ethomaz

Banned
PS5: We will have nearly 100 games available at launch (90 games?)
XSX: We will have thousands of games available at launch (2000+?)

Yeap you really not watched Cerny presentation.

ethomaz

Banned
Luuuullzzzz

825 GB SSD = half baked
Boost clock to get to 10.2 TF, bounce between GPU and CPU load = half baked
Only 100 reliably tested PS4 BC games = half baked
3D audio solution really only working for headphones = half baked
Unclear about performance of 3rd party SSDs (due to controller priority levels) = half baked

The more I hear about PS5 the more I realize it needed more time in the oven.
Continue with reading comprehension issues lol

JLB

Banned
nice, seems some of the usual suspects that were shitting on xbox just right before the very nice cerny reveal are coming back (and in a thread trying to bash xbox in its most praised feature).
good to see you back boys!

Last edited:

RaySoft

One would believe that MS had more controll over BC because of DirectX API. This just shows that not all games followed the comformaties using system libraries.
That is the problem for PS4 games as well. Any games that bypassed the oficcial libraries and did their own timings/logic could be a potential problem.
Not exactly that surpriising.

ethomaz

Banned
So what is the thread trying to point out exactly?
There is a fake news thread about Sony only having 100 games BC at launch.
Xbox fans jumped and told all Xbox games will be BC at launch.

Somebody gone on twitter and asked MS... they replied what you see in the thread.

So the Xbox guys trashing PS5 for 100 games BC now needs to face both will have about the same approach and all games was a lie.

This thread:https://www.neogaf.com/threads/almo...-with-more-titles-playable-over-time.1531917/

Last edited:
Xbox guys, if I buy the Xbox SeX, which exclusive games from OG, 360 or One should I get? Microsoft seem far more confident and feature focused, so I'm even considering switching over. Depends on the game line-ups, as well as other software features.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I trust Microsoft more than Sony when it comes to backwards compatibility. And stop taking that tweet out of context. That tweet was a reply to a guy asking for clarification on "all games" , so they said it meant all Xbox One games(including backwards compatibility) and they are testing all of them.

This is Homer Simpson chasing Bart around with an axe shouting “it is taken out of context” level of hilarity :LOL:.

• LOL
Reactions: CJY

Gamernyc78

Banned
Xbox guys, if I buy the Xbox SeX, which exclusive games from OG, 360 or One should I get? Microsoft seem far more confident and feature focused, so I'm even considering switching over. Depends on the game line-ups, as well as other software features.

Crackdown 3 I heard is superb as well as recore 😊 State of Decay 2 if you have tht high production zombie itch like TLOU.

Last edited:
Great work from Microsoft and the BC team as expected.

And by the way...
thousands > hundred

Sony said MOST games will work. Theres 4 thousand games on PS4. There has to be a minimum of 2001 games working for the word MOST to be correct. So your “thousands > hundred” is cute.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah i saw a pic somewhere of it stating 100 ps5 native and the others as ps4 pro "legacy" and ps4 "legacy".

Then again could be made up
Yes there is 3 BC modes
PS5 Enhanced Mode( this is what Cerny was talking about 100 Boost Titles)
PS4 Pro Legacy
PS4 Legacy
Those two modes is the majority 4000+
Well, they did say this...

So I'm assuming they're talking about additional BC games being tested aside from the ones that work already, or optimizing games that are already available for series X

They are just confirming you can download your purchased online games
They're not lying, if it's playable is another thing all together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom