• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox event: Make your predictions GAF

El_Chino

Well you know I have to ask, what's the one thing you don't think will happen/be there?

Halo 2 HD lol, I guess i'm being extremely pessimistic about it but I'm just basing this on how Halo anniversary was announced. It was announced at E3 and released later that year on its 10 year anniversary.

If we are guessing, I'll guess that MS will start a cable or streaming (netflix) network. Some cable channels will become A la cart on XBL. The specs will be similar to PS4. It will be BC, not always online and will allow used games. It will also sell more in N. America than Sony.

Apdiddy

More of Microsoft's emphasis on living room entertainment -- a deal with Comcast will be announced where the next Xbox serves as a hub for Comcast cable or possibly one with AT&T U-verse.
Original programming like new episodes of Heroes, Chuck (I wish), and other NBC/Comcast shows that exclusive to Xbox.
Halo 5 teaser, more at E3.
EA does an exclusive deal/DLC for Battlefield 4.
Call of Duty: Ghosts and exclusive DLC that won't be on the other systems. Same with Bungie's Destiny.
Rare shows a new Kinect Sports game that has photorealistic graphics and reveal for the next-gen of avatars that look more like people. They also show a new game that will be for XBLA using avatars that harken back to their glory days.
Multiplayer is now free for Silver/Free subscribers for Live but the other content (Comcast, exclusive DLC, etc.) is for Gold subscribers.
Microsoft expands Xbox Live Gold to be more enticing than just Netflix, etc. They take a page out of Sony's book with PS+ and has cloud saves, free XBL on Demand games, free Arcade games, and more discounts for Gold members.
Epic Games shows a teaser for a new game that will use UE4.

*Lights go down*
Brooding music begins to play, then a voice comes out and says
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

A woman in an Orchid outfit walks out on to stage holding the new XBox and hands it to Don Mattick who has emerged from a stage trap door surrounded by smoke.

As the smoke clears, you can see that he has KI3 as a neck tattoo and smashes the box on the stage. He holds up the motherboard and screams:

QUAD APU 16gb DDR4 FREE LTE FOR LIFE ALWAYS ONLINE

The remaining 58 minutes of the show is people awkwardly tying to control Kinect avatars in a new game that simulates waiting at the DMV. The realism is staggering.

sn00zer

Im assuming most of it will be media center based

But they will show gameplay for one or two truly jaw dropping games that no one has heard before, essentially their next Gears of War

*Lights go down*
Brooding music begins to play, then a voice comes out and says
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

A woman in an Orchid outfit walks out on to stage holding the new XBox and hands it to Don Mattick who has emerged from a stage trap door surrounded by smoke.

As the smoke clears, you can see that he has KI3 as a neck tattoo and smashes the box on the stage. He holds up the motherboard and screams:

QUAD APU 16gb DDR4 FREE LTE FOR LIFE ALWAYS ONLINE

The remaining 58 minutes of the show is people awkwardly tying to control Kinect avatars in a new game that simulates waiting at the DMV. The realism is staggering.

I heard the DMV game, will be the avatar sitting in a chair playing a game on a Windows phone.

Two SKUs
Premium SKU will be different color

Branded 'Xbox'
Reveal Xbox Mini, a set top box like apple tv
Launch with PGR5, Battlefield 3, New IP, with new Halo game in launch window

Xbox Live 3.0 with social integration that no one will care about
Rebranding of Xbox live teirs. Silver will be upgraded to allow users to play online but with limited abilities, like no voice chat, clan support, social media crap, delayed DLC and demos.

Live musical performance by Usher for new Harmonix game

Kinect 2.0 will ship with the box but it will be a wireless peripheral that needs to be charged depending on use.

Slight revision to Xbox 360 controller with something similar to Six Axis

Izick

Halo 2 HD lol, I guess i'm being extremely pessimistic about it but I'm just basing this on how Halo anniversary was announced. It was announced at E3 and released later that year on its 10 year anniversary.

You could very well be right. I just figured that Halo 2 HD would be a nice exclusive to give Halo fans for the Nextbox, and wouldn't be that resource intensive compared to creating a brand new game.

----------------

Speaking of Nextbox...damn am I sick of that and Durango. What do you all think the next Xbox will be called?

There's no way this thing is just called "Xbox". Microsoft is not Apple.

I'm still thinking Xbox Loop, with the infinity symbol as the O's.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Since it's only an hour I think they won't show too much. Just enough to get the hype train rolling full steam before E3.

My guess, in this order:
Xbox Mini
Durango name/box shown
New Xbox Live partnerships/features
Kinect 2 tech demos
A few game trailers/teasers with gameplay demo blowout coming at E3

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Alright, here goes.

-Highly controlled. Any hands on time will be VERY closely scrutinized.
-"Always Online", but will be quick to mention an unspecified offline mode.
-Kinnect built in, etc, etc,
-Various predictable game announcements and teasers. Actual hands-on demos will be tech demos, though look forward to hands-on demos and full trailers at E3.
-Two tiers of models
-Release window, not date and no mention of price. Expect a date and price at E3 or later.
-Win8 integration of some sort.
-partnerships with pubs like EA. Expect actual details at E3.
-Some big bomb drop announcement that will rile up fanboys and start hype talk.
-If there's a way to block used games, it won't be mentioned or detailed here. Chances are that it would be at least a built-in option for publishers, but we're not likely to hear much about it in an official capacity until after the fact.

Basically, I see this as a way to upstage E3 and bring rapt attention to themselves first so that they can control the message as opposed to the other way around, see the "always online" backlash, and those are only rumors.

njean777

Hardware:

-Comparable hardware to the PS4
-Kinect 2.0 offers a lot more fidelity; Ryse will be what Microsoft positions as killer app
-Controller will be slightly modified; better d-pad (not twistable); different guide button; "different wireless technology" like the PS4 so they both can sell us new controllers
-actual console is shown
-Blu-Ray
-1TB HDD
-U.S.B. 3.0
-allows used games
-always on means that there are no manual updates; *games can still be played offline

Software:

-Ryse
-Project Gotham Racing 5 or Forza 5 (really a toss-up)
-new I.P.(s) by Rare
-big 3rd party exclusive from EA or Bethesda (anything from Madden to Fallout 4)
-creative Twisted Pixel game
-Lionhead's Fable MMO
-Halo 2 HD
-lots of PS4/PS3/360 cross-gen multiplats

Features:

-XBL 3.0 is huge step up; bigger friends list, real names, more connectivtiy, etc.
-Some sort of custom Windows 8 RT is the UI
-fully fleshed out Kinect 2.0 UI navigation
-XBL Gold paywall for games and certain apps; Netflix, Youtube, Internet Explorer will be free
-Social media will be big
-Streaming features similar to PS4
-Some sort of Windows RT store connectionoSong of the conference

Bonus: Song of the conference:

Imagine Dragons - Radioactive (Welcome to the New Age) - Seems like a hip, trendy song that ties in with the whole "new generation" thing.

If Fallout is exclusive I will be extremely angry, and I will then not purchase another Bethesda game until Fallout is not exclusive anymore. If elder scrolls is exclusive then I could care less though, funny how that works.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If Fallout is exclusive I will be extremely angry, and I will then not purchase another Bethesda game until Fallout is not exclusive anymore.

Seems like if this list is true Sony will have won me over, MS with there gold crap makes me not care for the console. I shouldn't have to pay to play online. Its just that simple.
I've been expecting Fallout to be a next gen exclusive for Durango for a while. It'll still be on PS3/360/PC but not hit PS4. I'm also expecting MGSV to be the same but on PS4 instead of Durango.

njean777

I've been expecting Fallout to be a next gen exclusive for Durango for a while. It'll still be on PS3/360/PC but not hit PS4. I'm also expecting MGSV to be the same but on PS4 instead of Durango.

Well then I wont be buying the game then. I will want it on ps4, though I could play it on pc, I prefer it to be on the next gen console of my choice.
exclusive dlc I couldn't care less about but to have the game exclusive is stupid to me.

KAL2006

Banned
Offline mode, always online rumour fake
Used games will work, another fake rumour
No backwards compatibility, unless you buy a Xbox Mini
Can plug in your existing cable to Durango for extra features
Windows 8 AppStore on Durango
Social and OS features similar to PS4
Kinect 2 with every Durango and more accurate and HD
Kinect 2 vital for Durango experience and used for everything, enhances experience with user interface navigation and games
Ryse re-reveal, hardcore Kinect game
New Zombie shooter IP
PGR5 or Forza 5

Alan Wake 2, Fable MMO, RARE Kinect game, Halo spinoff, and EA exclusive DLC saved for E3.

Mononoke

Banned
If Fallout is exclusive I will be extremely angry, and I will then not purchase another Bethesda game until Fallout is not exclusive anymore. If elder scrolls is exclusive then I could care less though, funny how that works.

Would be some bullshit, considering that Fallout has always been superior on PC (for mods) Bethesda games always so broken.

EDIT: Nevermind, read the prediction/ followup comments.

My Predictions

- The new console shown with controller (looks very similar to 360 controller)
- Kinect 2.0 shown and detailed - packed in with every console
- New dashboard and features shown
- Will play used games
- Always online (games can be played offline though)
- CPU /GPU similar to PS4, 8GB DDR3 (although I expect them to be fairly hush hush on exact specs)

- Black Tusk Studios UE4 IP shown
- Alan Wake 2 shown
- Ryse shown (Kinect only)
- Forza [subtitle] shown
- Fable MMO shown
- Partnership with EA announced as rumoured (Battlefield 4 DLC timed exclusive)
- Respawn's FPS announced as an Xbox exclusive

*The rest will be saved for E3. I think the software will be satisfying but kept to the above as E3 will be just less than 3 weeks later and MS will likely keep stuff like COD and any 'megaton' announcements for that event to compete with whatever Sony shows.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My Predictions

- Will play used games
- 8GB DDR3 (although I expect them to be fairly hush hush on exact specs)

- Alan Wake 2 shown
- Forza [subtitle] shown
- Fable MMO shown
- Partnership with EA announced as rumoured (Battlefield 4 next gen exclusive)

The rest will be saved for E3. I think the software will be satisfying but kept to the above as E3 will be just less than 3 weeks later and MS will likely keep stuff like COD and any 'megaton' announcements for that event to compete with whatever Sony shows.

BF4 is already confirmed for PS4. CrazyButtocksOnATrain said yesterday that it wasn't BF, Dragon Age, or Mass Effect. I'm thinking Respawn's game.

BF4 is already confirmed for PS4. CrazyButtocksOnATrain said yesterday that it wasn't BF, Dragon Age, or Mass Effect. I'm thinking Respawn's game.

Ah I wasn't sure. It will be exclusive DLC then I imagine. With that said I'll add in Respawn announcement as MS will want one big exclusive FPS.

My Predictions

- Will play used games
- Always online (games can be played offline though)
- CPU /GPU similar to PS4, 8GB DDR3 (although I expect them to be fairly hush hush on exact specs)

- Alan Wake 2 shown
- Forza [subtitle] shown
- Fable MMO shown
- Partnership with EA announced as rumoured (Battlefield 4 next gen exclusive)

*The rest will be saved for E3. I think the software will be satisfying but kept to the above as E3 will be just less than 3 weeks later and MS will likely keep stuff like COD and any 'megaton' announcements for that event to compete with whatever Sony shows.

It's all but confirmed it'll be called Forza 5 and I doubt a Fable MMO is in development. Lionhead needs to make more than one good regular RPG first.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ah I wasn't sure. It will be exclusive DLC then I imagine. With that said I'll add in Respawn announcement as MS will want one big exclusive FPS.

This is what I think as well. Timed exclusive DLC on Durango for all of EA's games and Respawn's game completely exclusive.

Ballmer appears to shout "Game Developers, Game Developers, Game Developers!" just to dispel any worries Microsoft doesn't care about devs. Throws his Mega Man pose then leaves.

cornerman

No price, or pricing models
No launch date
No addressing of DRM (at the event...I think that's something you get in an interview)
No in-depth discussion of hardware (as compared to Sony)

I'm going to detail out my predictions...give it a little flavor...

- Kinect 2.0 - Put yourself in the game, put objects in the game, voice recognition, some unconventional login; Skype integration - connects to all Skype enabled devices; voice text (does Kinect already do this across the board?)

- Xbox plays TV, reminds you of shows airing or being DVR simultaneously while you game. Switch between either mode without losing progress of the game. Smartglass integration to phones, set the DVR from anywhere at any time.

- queue up and downloads from the Xbox store from your phone.

- Win8 closely tied with new Xbox; Media, apps, transferable across platforms...Kinect becomes your touchscreen emulator for games.

- Xbox TV - original entertainment; queue shows...TV partners. Extra bonus if they go for Firefly, Deadwood, Veronica Mars, Chuck?

- Non-gaming partners with nongaming apps

- Showcase all of Sony's features that are derived from low-power modes and dedicated chips

- Games - They won't reveal much here...They'll save the majority for E3 which will consist of 3rd party and games that get the hardcore excited. 2 New first party IP (one to highlight Kinect, one for the hardcore Xbox fan). They gotta give you something to talk about til E3. We'll see some footage from 3rd parties to show equivalence with PS4. Maybe see some features of Watch Dogs that they haven't revealed. Call of Duty gets its first teaser.

TheKayle

Banned
Dude, the specs have leaked all over the place

PS4 GPU has 50% more power (1.84TFLOPS vs 1.23TFLOPS)
PS4 GPU also has double the ROPS (32 VS 16)

as i said in another thread the gpu the durango (vg)leak point at 7790 a 1.79 tf gpu (durango cpu can do 2 primitive xclock with a bus of 128bit as the 7790)

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/151367-amd-launches-radeon-7790-meet-the-xbox-720s-gpu/2

and yeah there r 2 less cu (12 durango 14 7790) and we thinkin ms to save money putted out 2 cu...and used ddr...and downclock the gpu to 800mhz

but at the same time introduce move engine esram and a custom version of the 7790

a stock 7790 + 8gddr5 would cost less than all that customization + r&d for the move engines (+ their silicons) + a 7790 without just 2 cu + esram..+ 8gb ddr ....if u ask..lots less... and at least would be so stupid to downclock the gpu at 800mhz as vgleak said...if we look at the loss in performance
dollars/perfomance it think is totally unbalanced....and company as sony and ms....look into that too much i think

with the first choice (withthe stock gpu and gddr5) u would have a 1.8tf (something more) system
with the second ) 1.2tf

so or they r stupids...or theres something that dont add ...clearly..maybe theres something that we dont "see" that pushed them to do all this customization....but clearly isnt the money saving.....would be more easy go with a stock 7790+gddr5

so i think is wrong to base on that 1.2tf ....

Spongebob

Banned
as i said in another thread the gpu the durango (vg)leak point at 7790 a 1.79 tf gpu (durango cpu can do 2 primitive xclock with a bus of 128bit as the 7790)

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/151367-amd-launches-radeon-7790-meet-the-xbox-720s-gpu/2

and yeah there r 2 less cu (12 durango 14 7790) and we thinkin ms to save money putted out 2 cu...and used ddr...and downclock the gpu to 800mhz

but at the same time introduce move engine esram and a custom version of the 7790

now u think would cost more to put a stock 7790 in the durango than the r&d and the silicon of the move engines.a custom 7790.and the esram or they maybe seen some improvement in their design that pushed them to do all this customization?

a stock 7790 + 8gddr5 would cost less than all that customization + r&d for the move engines (+ their silicons) + a 7790 without just 2 cu and + esram..+ 8gb ddr ....if u ask and at least would be so stupid to downclock the gpu at 800mhz as vgleak said...seem the loss in performance

but with the first choice (withthe stock gpu and gddr5) u would have a 1.8tf (something more) system
with the second ) 1.2tf

so or they r stupids...or there something that dont add ...clearly

so dont base at that 1.2tf ....
What the fuck.

Izick

Other predictions:

Price
-400$

Sku(s)
-One Sku; HDD is standard and mandatory

Release date

-October 22 (Early enough before CoD, and possibly even Sony with the PS4)

Wild Card Surprise

-Rare makes a new Killer Instinct game

Satchel

Banned
- The New Xbox will be the name
- Rare will be debuting a non-Kinect game
- Killer Instinct will return
- Alan Wake 2
- There will be an awesome new feature for Live that none of us had thought of but we won't be able to go back once we've had it
- Kinect 2 will be cool as

Hoping for Crackdown 3

dancmc

I think people are expecting too many games for this 1st reveal. I would expect maybe 2-3 actual games and then some general software concepts/vision. Some of the concepts will be well baked. Some will be more visionary in nature.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

a stock 7790 + 8gddr5 would cost less than all that customization + r&d for the move engines (+ their silicons) + a 7790 without just 2 cu + esram..+ 8gb ddr ....if u ask..lots less... and at least would be so stupid to downclock the gpu at 800mhz as vgleak said...if we look at the loss in performance
dollars/perfomance it think is totally unbalanced....and company as sony and ms....look into that too much i think

with the first choice (withthe stock gpu and gddr5) u would have a 1.8tf (something more) system
with the second ) 1.2tf

so or they r stupids...or theres something that dont add ...clearly..maybe theres something that we dont "see" that pushed them to do all this customization....but clearly isnt the money saving.....would be more easy go with a stock 7790+gddr5

so i think is wrong to base on that 1.2tf ....

I don't understand most of your post so I'll just comment on if the GPU winds up being based on the 7790. If it is and it winds up still being 12 CUs or 800MHz it'll be around 1.47Tflops, 1.23 if both. I'm expecting Durango to wind up being a bit higher than 1.2 but not much if the architecture rumors are true. Clock speed adjustments are about all they can do with the R&D and manufacturing preparations they'll have had to do.

Spongebob

Banned
I don't understand most of your post so I'll just comment on if the GPU winds up being based on the 7790. If it is and it winds up still being 12 CUs/800MHz it'll be around 1.47Tflops. I'm expecting Durango to wind up being around there but not much higher if the rumored specs are true. Clock speed adjustments are about all they can do with the R&D and manufacturing preparations they'll have had to do.

12CU@800MHz = 1.23TFLOPS

Aside from the 7770 and 7750 which only have 1 primitives/clock the difference between the 7790,7850,7870 ect.. has to do with the # of CU, ROPS ect.

Izick

- Alan Wake 2
- There will be an awesome new feature for Live that none of us had thought of but we won't be able to go back once we've had it

Hoping for Crackdown 3

Shit...I didn't even think about Alan Wake 2...ooooh my.

Also, I'd be fine with it just being called "Xbox" but I'm not sure if they'll do that. It just really would be a little confusing, not to mention who really knows what they would do with the next, next console. They couldn't just call that one the new Xbox too. Would create a lot of brand confusion I think.

snack

original.gif

Spongebob

Banned
- Alan Wake 2

Hoping for Crackdown 3

If Kinect is packed into all SKUs like rumors and leaks have us believe, then there won't be a first party MS game that is a non-Kinect game.

Satchel

Banned
If Kinect is packed into all SKUs like rumors and leaks have us believe, then there won't be a first party MS game that is a non-Kinect game.

That has zero to do with my prediction.

There are other first parties that make Kinect games for MS.

My prediction is that Rare will debut a non Kinect game. Does that bother you or something does it? Will that affect you in some horrible way if I'm right? It's ok dude, you'll be fine, Kinect will be there so you can get your MS hate quota up.

Izick

I don't think so. People will just point and laugh at the Apple wannabees.

I don't think people give a shit if they use a similar naming technique. I don't think they actually use that technique though, so the point is moot.

Also I'm not sure if Microsoft would want to be Apple right now. Microsoft already has enough problems as it is.

Spongebob

Banned
That has zero to do with my prediction.

There are other first parties that make Kinect games for MS.

My prediction is that Rare will debut a non Kinect game. Does that bother you or something does it? Will that affect you in some horrible way if I'm right? It's ok dude, you'll be fine, Kinect will be there so you can get your MS hate quota up.

I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying.

If MS are going through the trouble (expensive) of putting a Kinect 2.0 in every SKU, then they sure as hell are going to try to justify that by putting extensive Kinect functionality in their first party games.

Your last comment is completely unwarranted.

Top Bottom