• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox mobile app push notification says Black Ops 6 on Game Pass Day One

Zones

Well then...

origin-cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

To think that this was in doubt speaks volumes about the lack of trust Xbox owners have in the managing team. Whatever the loss in sales is it’d be worst if they didn’t do it.

Certinty

Credit where it's due. this has to be one of the only half decent things Xbox has done in quite some time.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Was it in doubt from Xbox owners?
No doubt here.

Good winter for Gamepass - Indy, Avowed and Blops.

Going to sell a lot of discounted Series S to casuals who play sports and CoD with a 3 month Game Pass pack-in. They'll buy it for College Football/Madden and then be able to play BLOPS6 with it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Going to sell a lot of discounted Series S to casuals who play sports and CoD with a 3 month Game Pass pack-in. They'll buy it for College Football/Madden and then be able to play BLOPS6 with it.

Maybe, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the marketing - I believe that Sony's marketing deal runs up to the current game. A £$€250 box with a sub for those games is a pretty good deal.

TrebleShot

Gold Member
Lol was this ever in doubt? they could make it day one on plus also or make it free to play and it would make billions.

In fact, why arent these games F2P with a campaign every other year or something that you pay 30 for?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Maybe, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the marketing - I believe that Sony's marketing deal runs up to the current game. A £$€250 box with a sub for those games is a pretty good deal.
It doesn’t appear that BLOPS6 falls under the deal otherwise MS couldn’t be promoting it the way they are right now.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Really do not see how this is sustainable. Its all very well saying this will create x more subscriptions when its going to gouge a huge chunk out of launch revenue and in the final analysis is just a value-add to GP.

Jesus christ this is probably the biggest game on gp ever.
I assume this is on pc gamepass aswell so only Playstation people need to buy this.
Huge w for gp

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Casuals already own their system of choice by now.

It’ll be interesting to see how this moves the sales needle for the consoles though (and I doubt it will since see above).

midnightAI

Really do not see how this is sustainable. Its all very well saying this will create x more subscriptions when its going to gouge a huge chunk out of launch revenue and in the final analysis is just a value-add to GP.
It won't make much of a difference, PlayStation owners will still buy it, subs may increase slightly just to people renewing who haven't renewed in a while, but they will then lose money on XBox game sales as there's now 'free' with Gamepass, but most sales will be on PS and PC anyway.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Jesus christ this is probably the biggest game on gp ever.
I assume this is on pc gamepass aswell so only Playstation people need to buy this.
Huge w for gp
1. Subscription creep is real
2. GP on PC is such a joke it's easier just to pay for a game upfront. D4 GP release on PC was a proper mess where BattleNet integration was brought by an entire set of crotches.

peish

Gold Member
Do people still buy and play annual cod? Are these games evolving and having better mechanics with yearly iterations? What happens to last year mp?

I don’t get the hype. In the older days, our mp games purchases last longer.

Sanepar

The only diff this will make: xbox players will not buy cod anymore. I bet gamepass numbers will stay flat.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I'm also not sure how the economics stack up - but I think there's potential for a decent argument for it to make sense for the business.

Firstly that COD will make lots of revenue from microtransactions. That business is unaffected.
Secondly, that most people put most of their time into COD's multiplayer.

So, while people may well buy a month of GP to play the campaign and never touch it again, the bulk of COD's players must be looking at getting at least a few months of play on the multiplayer. If you can get someone who would only play COD on their console to sign up for 6 months of Gamepass (at RRP) then they get more money than they would for just selling the game. At about 4 months you're breaking even.

So the questions are:

How much revenue is lost by current gamepass subscribers not buying the game who would have otherwise?
How many people who'd buy the game purely for the campaign will now just buy a month of Gamepass instead?

And I definitely can't guess at what those numbers might be. But, Activision and Microsoft will have the data on how many people sign up for a month to play one game, how many people play COD's campaign and not the multiplayer, how many people play COD that don't have a gamepass sub, and how many do.

What's intangible is how many people this could tip the scales for to convince people to either subscribe to Gamepass and Xbox, because there are enough reasons to go with it. Perhaps you want to play Starfield, Indy, Avowed and COD. All that for $140 for the year, plus whatever other couple of hundred games Microsoft might offer you isn't a bad deal at all.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They'll have to substantially raise the price of GP to off-set the grotesquely huge amount of money they'll lose to sales.

Imagine if this only raised GP subscriptions by a few million...

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So in 1 year u will pay the double to rent.

A year of gamepass doesn't make sense in order to play one game, I don't think anyone would argue that.

But if a year of gamepass is $140 and COD is $70, you only need to play a couple of games on top to be saving money.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It won't make much of a difference, PlayStation owners will still buy it, subs may increase slightly just to people renewing who haven't renewed in a while, but they will then lose money on XBox game sales as there's now 'free' with Gamepass, but most sales will be on PS and PC anyway.

Yeah, but I just meant that mathematically I cannot see this working out. The reality is that its going to cost sales, and even a small percentage drop on such a big selling franchise is a lot of money. And to what end? Hooking people into the Xbox ecosystem... how's that going to look when the business model utilized with CoD is based on long-term spending specific to its own inbuilt storefront? Its like a subscription inside of a subscription!

And then of course there's the overall impact on the economics of GP generally. The idea is that the revenue gets divided up amongst all titles on the service, how does sticking CoD in there front and centre impact that? Its a service franchise ffs.

Sorry, but this seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Last edited:

Sanepar

A year of gamepass doesn't make sense in order to play one game, I don't think anyone would argue that.

But if a year of gamepass is $140 and COD is $70, you only need to play a couple of games on top to be saving money.
But cod players play cod. They buy consoles for cod.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
But cod players play cod. They buy consoles for cod.

So, what you're saying is that for COD players, they'll just buy the game, because that's the cheapest way to get that one game. I agree.

But for everyone else, including me, Gamepass just got a bit better. I now get to play COD as part of the subscription I've got already.
For people who have been tempted to get a Gamepass sub, but who weren't going to buy COD, Microsoft just made the deal better.

Seems like a win for some people and no losses?

BlueLyria

Hope ABK/MS invests in severe anti cheat measures, if mp was already full of cheaters at 70 USD, can't imagine how bad it's gonna be at a lower price point

midnightAI

Yeah, but I just meant that mathematically I cannot see this working out. The reality is that its going to cost sales, and even a small percentage drop on such a big selling franchise is a lot of money. And to what end? Hooking people into the Xbox ecosystem... how's that going to look when the business model utilized with CoD is based on long-term spending specific to its own inbuilt storefront? Its like a subscription inside of a subscription!

And then of course there's the overall impact on the economics of GP generally. The idea is that the revenue gets divided up amongst all titles on the service, how does sticking CoD in there front and centre impact that? Its a service franchise ffs.

Sorry, but this seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
I just think they'll make enough money from PS and PC that it wont really matter, you arent suddenly going to see masses of people changing to XBox to play this game (actually, that would indeed be disastrous for them, ironically)

These are games they release every year, they dont cost a vast amount to make as they are just regurgitating the same stuff, so making $X hundreds of millions every year is fine for them, if they lose 10% due to XBox Gamepass it isnt a big deal. (actually, scrap that, is this coming to PC Gamepass also? that could change things)

Top Bottom