• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox mobile app push notification says Black Ops 6 on Game Pass Day One

Bond007

I dont see this moving the needle a whole lot. If you dont have an Xbox already i dont see you swapping consoles because its "free" on Gamepass.
I have all the consoles and I wont be reupping my gamepass just for this since i rather stay on the playstation ecosystem, controller and with friends. Thats even if i buy it this year

Ozriel

M$FT
I dont see this moving the needle a whole lot. If you dont have an Xbox already i dont see you swapping consoles because its "free" on Gamepass.
I have all the consoles and I wont be reupping my gamepass just for this since i rather stay on the playstation ecosystem, controller and with friends. Thats even if i buy it this year

Why would you think ‘moving the needle’ for Xbox has to involve swapping consoles?

Do people still buy and play annual cod? Are these games evolving and having better mechanics with yearly iterations? What happens to last year mp?

I don’t get the hype. In the older days, our mp games purchases last longer.

Pretty sure there’s no way anyone on this forum doesn’t know COD is an annual mega seller.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do people still buy and play annual cod? Are these games evolving and having better mechanics with yearly iterations? What happens to last year mp?

I don’t get the hype. In the older days, our mp games purchases last longer.

Pray tell, what older days are you talking about?

There has been an annual CoD game since 2005.

StereoVsn

It’s going to be interesting to see the outcome. I do wonder if and by how much GamePass with COD tier will go up.

Personally I am skeptical that this is going to help shore up GamePass or convert meaningful new players to the sub and / or Xbox, but it will certainly be fascinating to watch.

midnightAI

It'll be on PC Gamepass, surely?
Yes, most likely, but some of the CoD die hards will just buy the game as it's cheaper in the long run, many only play CoD and nothing else. For casuals, maybe they will get Gamepass for a month or two as mentioned but it only artificially inflated Gamepass, but yes, it would lose them money because of that.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
From where I sit, I don't particularly care about COD (you can find posts where I say it repeatedly in discussions about the Activision acquisition), I will play it on Gamepass, but I'm not jumping for joy or anything.

I am surprised however at how many people are certain that the biggest game in the world (between COD or GTA, obvs) being on Gamepass will not make any difference to the appeal of the platform. I'm not saying it'll transform things at all, but it obviously has the potential to make Gamepass and Microsoft's platforms more enticing.

Surely any reasonable assessment would have to accept that?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
From where I sit, I don't particularly care about COD (you can find posts where I say it repeatedly in discussions about the Activision acquisition), I will play it on Gamepass, but I'm not jumping for joy or anything.

I am surprised however at how many people are certain that the biggest game in the world (between COD or GTA, obvs) being on Gamepass will not make any difference to the appeal of the platform. I'm not saying it'll transform things at all, but it obviously has the potential to make Gamepass and Microsoft's platforms more enticing.

Reasonable?

GAF?

James Franco Reaction GIF

Mr.ODST

Word of mouth is a powerful tool, i work in video game marketing and its the strongest proposition, youll get xbox players saying “i got cod with my gamepass” to a kid who has to pay full £70 and it changes narratives to kids wanting an Xbox.

There is also that sentiment that games are “free” with your game pass and if you add that word against someone who has to pay it could move a needle

Most people on here live in a bubble or are just blatant Sony Fanboys, i main PS5 myself but annoys me when people shovel something off because its xbox, the general public literally only play service games like OW, COD, Destiny, Fortnite

XXL

Hell, there was that Bond thread recently where she said the entire slate of first party games is coming day one to GamePass and some of these people tried arguing that “entire slate” was double speak and meant no CoD 😆
Here are the direct quotes..

Q: "When you say first party will be available day one on Game Pass, does that include Activision games and Call of Duty?"

A: "Across the whole slate, across the whole slate, you're going to see really amazing things on Game Pass."

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I just wonder around the timing though. If you announce it now as part of existing tiers. Then not sure how they change it all up prior to release, without causing blowback... i.e I'd have thought you announce GP structure changes at the same time. Maybe existing tiers just stay as is and a price increase comes further down the road.

Could be it is Game Pass Ultimate only and they don't have any changes to the tiers. Not sure. I think Microsoft must have run a ton of projections about how all this will play out. Could be they don't expect any major change to Game Pass numbers which means they do not expect significant loss in revenue. The big question in my mind is whether this will make a difference on PC. If PC has a major shift to Game Pass for Call of Duty then that will be huge.

I really don't think we will have a clear perspective on any of this until a full year of financial reports have been provided.

Pelta88

Really do not see how this is sustainable.

No need to speculate. MS went to court and to regulators showcasing the financial loss they’d incur if COD were to be included in GP. Bobby Kotic himself took the stand and said ATVI can’t make a return from GP. We’ve just reached a point where XB leadership are like…

bobby-shmurda-dance.gif

Last edited:
This will only tank Call of Duty sales on the "Xbox/MS Store" to zero...

Nobody will switch console just for Call of Duty, it's not even exclusive

Last edited:

adamsapple

Q: "When you say first party will be available day one on Game Pass, does that include Activision games and Call of Duty?"

A: "Across the whole slate, across the whole slate, you're going to see really amazing things on Game Pass."

Stop lying and/or twisting the truth.

What they posted today is a confirmation.

There is a big fucking difference.

?

That quote is pretty much what Bumblebeetuna said, the only different is 'entire slate' / 'whole slate', but that's just arguing over semantics.

Stop lying and/or twisting the truth.

What they posted today is a confirmation.

There is a big fucking difference.

Im not sure what you’re upset about here. Am I lying because I said “entire slate” instead of “whole slate”? 😆

Radical_3d

It was only ever in doubt to the perpetual haters who have been desperately predicting the end of GamePass and Xbox for years.
That’s not the case. I don’t know in GAF but I know people that doubt it, myself included. This must have been an internal power struggle and an absolute win for Spencer. He wasn’t clearly in control when Tango was shut because that decision wasn’t in line with his goals. So if he hadn’t the last word because now Xbox is under scrutiny may as well had not the control over this (costly) decision as well. But this is 100% him not yielding to the short term benefits and scoring one for team green.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
That’s not the case. I don’t know in GAF but I know people that doubt it, myself included. This must have been an internal power struggle and an absolute win for Spencer. He wasn’t clearly in control when Tango was shut because that decision wasn’t in line with his goals. So if he hadn’t the last word because now Xbox is under scrutiny may as well had not the control over this (costly) decision as well. But this is 100% him not yielding to the short term benefits and scoring one for team green.
We still on “Phil Spencer is a genius” groove train?

Radical_3d

We still on “Phil Spencer is a genius” groove train?
No. Look at my post history. I’ve criticise the strategy of saving Xbox via GamePass instead of the traditional “just release good exclusives” several times. But to the César what is of the César. This is a win for his strategy.

Mr.ODST

This will only tank Call of Duty sales on the "Xbox/MS Store" to zero...

Nobody will switch console just for Call of Duty, it's not even exclusive
When COD went to Playstation Marketing exclusive so many people bought playstations and moved there, not sure it has that pull now but it did when they got marketing rights

FewRope

What is this

King Dazzar

Could be it is Game Pass Ultimate only and they don't have any changes to the tiers. Not sure. I think Microsoft must have run a ton of projections about how all this will play out. Could be they don't expect any major change to Game Pass numbers which means they do not expect significant loss in revenue. The big question in my mind is whether this will make a difference on PC. If PC has a major shift to Game Pass for Call of Duty then that will be huge.

I really don't think we will have a clear perspective on any of this until a full year of financial reports have been provided.
Yeah I agree. Ever since this was announced as likely happening, I've thought of it more of a PC focused move in terms of any hope for GP growth. Whilst in my mind simply retaining existing console customers.

The financials are a strange one though. As you'd think any savvy gamers might just sub for a short period and then move on. And of course they also lose a sale too. As you say, interesting analysis stuff to come....

Topher

Gold Member
When COD went to Playstation Marketing exclusive so many people bought playstations and moved there, not sure it has that pull now but it did when they got marketing rights

PlayStation got the marketing rights to Call of Duty because Xbox sales were tanking while PlayStation was thriving. Same thing happened in 2007 when Xbox 360 was dominating PS3 (at least in the US). Call of Duty marketing rights follow the market leader

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/05/28/play-call-of-duty-black-ops-6-day-one-game-pass/

Page is live

We’re excited to confirm that Game Pass members will be able to jump into Call of Duty®: Black Ops 6 on day one with Game Pass.

As revealed last week, we will have a special Xbox Games Showcase followed by Call of Duty®: Black Ops 6 Direct on June 9, 2024, at 10am PT, where we’ll share even more details on what’s coming in this all-new Call of Duty®. Get eyes on the first in-depth look at gameplay in this dark new chapter of the Black Ops series.

And, if you’re new to Game Pass – we’ve got a (figurative) mountain of games for you to check out and play while waiting for that pre-install button to light up for Black Ops 6. Check out the hundreds of games here: Xbox.com/Gamepass

Keep the comms open, we’ll have more at @XboxGamePassPC and @XboxGamePass with more details soon.

ManaByte ManaByte in case you want to add it to your post

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I wonder if they meant to announce it this week?

You'd think they'd want to let people know next week after the showcase. But perhaps they're expecting lots of xbox stories to be generated. Maybe putting this out there now is a way of both extending the exposure of Xbox stories in the media, but also making sure everyone sees that Gears of War will be out this Christmas. (fingers are crossed)

Rockman33

1. Subscription creep is real
2. GP on PC is such a joke it's easier just to pay for a game upfront. D4 GP release on PC was a proper mess where BattleNet integration was brought by an entire set of crotches.
Pretty hyperbolic statement. It has worked flawlessly for me the last 2 years

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

PS is a larger brand in the most part of the world. Nobody even cares about Xbox in Europe. Microsoft doesn't even care about Xbox over here.

They do zero marketing for the console, so what do they expect?

adamsapple

The Xbox Wire blog post isn’t allowed under the current deal. So it only includes MWIIi. BLOPS6 obviously isn’t under it.

Yep, earlier I thought maybe '24 was also a part of the CoD marketing deal on PS but clearly this inclusion shows it isn't. No way Sony marketing contracts don't have clauses against putting the game on sub services without giving first-refusal to Sony.

Astray

Cod marketing was one of the very few gaming things that got showed at the infamous TV TV TV Xbox One reveal.

Activision moved to PS because of MS dropping the ball with the Xbox One, not vice versa.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sony has never ever been in a position to outbid Microsoft on anything.

Activision backed the winning horse, that's all.

I think you'll find that even Xbox has a marketing budget.

Activision didn't back anyone, they just took a cheque.

Mephisto40

There is no way on earth the extra subs they are going to get is going to subsidise the losses they are going to have to eat due to the game bringing in no revenue on xbox through game sales

I think you'll find that even Xbox has a marketing budget.

Activision didn't back anyone, they just took a cheque.

MS may have marketing rights now, but they signed a 10-year binding contract to release CoD on Playstation Consoles

Seems like a moot point to me. For most people nothing will change this november

Top Bottom