• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: 5 million units shipped to retailers

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Translation: ""We have duped retailers by convincing them to tie up revenue in 5 million Xbox Ones that could have been spent on PS4s."

It will be after Christmas by the time they sell through that 5 million.

lol, that won't be true and you know it.

The Xbox One will have a real price drop, maybe even a large one without Kinect. E3 will see a bunch of games for it, we'll have some great holiday software and the system will be doing much much better.

wonder what customer sell through number really is.

4.1? 4.3?
I'd guess not even 4 million if I base it off the Best Buy I went to. Unsold Titanfall bundles on top of normal bundles they got months ago according to the guy I talked to. It looked like the Wii U but unlike Nintendo, that they forced an absolute shit ton of supply that is nowhere near demand.

On Demand

Banned
Doesn't make it right. It was obnoxious then and it's obnoxious now. This forum leans a bit more to the Sony side which is fine but it is a shame you can't go into most threads without some sort of bashing going on. I own both and couldn't give two shits who is selling best. I track what games are coming out haha.

The forum doesn't lean anywhere. It only gives that illusion because the PS4 is the more popular console right now. Last Gen people were saying this site was mostly 360 owners.

Neogaf couldn't be more equal of all platforms.

boingball

So while Sony is selling a million PS4 per month MS manages only to ship 250k per month to retailers. Combined with the fact that PS4 was outselling Xbone in the Titanfall month I expect some reactions from MS. Will be an interesting E3. Either MS has to cut the price and take the hit or offer a Kinect-less SKU.

Radec

So while Sony is selling a million PS4 per month MS manages only to ship 250k per month to retailers. Combined with the fact that PS4 was outselling Xbone in the Titanfall month I expect some reactions from MS. Will be an interesting E3. Either MS has to cut the price and take the hit or offer a Kinect-less SKU.

March has been filled with unofficial price cuts and bundles of the Xbone. And they still lost.

Verendus

Banned
This is actually a good performance for Microsoft. It's an expensive console, bear in mind, and they've had a solid start to the generation all things considered. It just skews perspective when PS4 is going all Super Saiyan. Granted I'm sure the actual sell through of Xbox One is closer to the 4 million side than the 5 million side. It's still impressive however.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm guessing they will sell through that with ease, E3 announcements should launch both pretty well, if they bring stuff to E3 that's worth while... assuming a lot.

The general public don't buy consoles based on how they perform at e3.

When has a good e3 performance ever resulted in an immediate positive impact in sales?

That is really, really bad. I honestly expected 5+ million sold - 6 million shipped.

The thing must be dead outside of the US and UK

Oh E3 will be fun.

I'm just glad that MS is still doing well for a $500 console. Hopefully this will keep Sony on it's toes, and will force MS to focus on more on it's 2nd party studios. As for Nintendo...I'm not really sure what one can do with WiiU.

BigDug13

I'm just glad that MS is still doing well for a $500 console. Hopefully this will keep Sony on it's toes, and will force MS to focus on more on it's 2nd party studios. As for Nintendo...I'm not really sure what one can do with WiiU.

Is it a $500 console? It was widely on sale for $450 with Titanfall included in the US this month. That basically made it a $399 console. $389 if we call Titanfall $60.

seanoff

missing from the discussion so far and of absolute importance.

HOW MANY XBO HAVE THEY MANUFACTURED?

there are 5 million shipped to retail, but how many are sitting in warehouses not sold to anyone.

i have trouble believing that MS pulled the manufacturing back to 350k/month on Jan 1. They might have scaled it back to 500k/month which still means they have 450k sitting in their warehouses not sold to anybody. god forbid they have manufactured more.

when is this tier2 launch?

angrygnat

Err... Yeah they do. If your doing "OK" the in the US and shut everywhere else, the Xbone and Xbox division is in trouble.
But they're not "shut" everywhere else. My point is XB1 isn't doomed. The US is going to be where they make their hay. I'm not ready to say the XB1 is a failure.

Skeff

missing from the discussion so far and of absolute importance.

HOW MANY XBO HAVE THEY MANUFACTURED?

there are 5 million shipped to retail, but how many are sitting in warehouses not sold to anyone.

i have trouble believing that MS pulled the manufacturing back to 350k/month on Jan 1. They might have scaled it back to 500k/month which still means they have 450k sitting in their warehouses not sold to anybody. god forbid they have manufactured more.

when is this tier2 launch?

I'd guess their initial contract for manufacturing was for a fixed number of consoles for at least 6 months as production lines are expensive to start up, so a manufacturer would want a lock in for X consoles for Y months.

5 million is what they said they'd do in their financials, no? So they were going to push for that at any cost.
No need for drama when they shipped 5 mill in 5 months. Not yet anyway.

Skeff

Based on the graph from earlier - when would it be estimated for PS4 to hit 2:1 vs Xbox one worldwide?

I'm thinking end of May, with the Watchdogs bundle.

Also looking at the graphs, we may get the first PS4 shipped number as 10m at E3

When has a good e3 performance ever resulted in an immediate positive impact in sales?

You're totally right, but I wasn't directly meaning E3 hype, but rather that most big news comes then and gets around. It starts at E3, the event typically shows the hand of the player.

Respawn

Banned
Can you guys imagine of they didn't have Titanfall? Think about that for a moment. It would be about a 4 million lead for Sony.

legacyzero

Banned
Microsoft really needs to bring the heat at E3, or it'll be a really long gen for them.

Edit: However, I really like Phil Spencer, so there's that.

avaya

I remember the Dreamcast 'destroying' Sony at E3. That worked out real well. The only real E3 moments that have had some kind of translation into the real world we have seen in recent years has all been Sony. Sony imploding themselves at E3 2006 and Tretton just going to town on MSFT last year. Tretton last year is one for the ages.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm thinking end of May, with the Watchdogs bundle.

Also looking at the graphs, we may get the first PS4 shipped number as 10m at E3

In time for E3? Would Sony have enough hard data to declare 2:1 at E3 if they make it by then?

Usobuko

Banned
Wasn't Sony numbers like in early April? It's mid April now, I'll assume for Xbox One numbers. That and the ratio will just only widen.

Amir0x

Banned
Microsoft really needs to bring the heat at E3, or it'll be a really long gen for them.

Edit: However, I really like Phil Spencer, so there's that.

I mean if they don't drop much further, they can still be a relatively successful system if they retain a consumer painful profit first approach.

Top Bottom