• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: 5 million units shipped to retailers

I mean if they don't drop much further, they can still be a relatively successful system if they retain a consumer painful profit first approach.

Yeah, I can still see them selling between 30-50 consoles in its lifetime as long as this doesnt drop much lower, which isn't horrible.

Skeff

In time for E3? Would Sony have enough hard data to declare 2:1 at E3 if they make it by then?

it'll likely happen before E3 (unless sales trends change) But about Sony having enough hard data, no I don't think so. It's tough to get accurate enough data for WW sales, to speak officially about them, If Sony say they're 2:1 up and it turns out it's only 1.9:1 then investors would not happy.

I will assume that before long, the free pack in game and the lower price of the Xbox One will no longer be a temporary "promotion" as Major Nelson called it, but it will be an actual official price cut.

If it doesn't happen before E3, it will happen the day of Microsoft's Conference at E3. I feel they are going to have to come out being very aggressive, since their "biggest game of this generation" was packed in for free, and the numbers still couldn't win the month over Sony.

However, here comes the issue. We all know that Microsoft spent a lot of money on the R&D for Kinect and Kinect 2. Also, looking at the tear downs and build prices, Kinect is an expensive device. But Microsoft believes in Kinect, they have been very persistent in convincing customers of its worth since they revealed it was included in all Xbox One's. It isn't going to be an easy decision to simply drop Kinect from the Xbox One, and I could see a price drop with Kinect still in the box, and Microsoft taking a loss on each system, before they actually drop Kinect.

I wouldn't want to be in their "war room" while they are trying to figure this out, because I would assume there is a line on the floor separating those that want to keep Kinect, and those that feel dropping it would be a good choice. They have defended it so much up to this point, they will have to be incredibly humbled to come out within a year of launch and say "Here is your new cheaper Xbox One without Kinect." As many changes as they have tried to make before and after launch, this would have to be the most difficult right now.

Um...what's your definition of blockbuster?
Halo. Uncharted. Zelda. Sunset Overdrive.

Not saying that the game can't be huge, and if I had an XB1 I'd be anticipating it too since it looks pretty damn creative. But at this juncture, with what we know at the moment, there's no way you can call it a blockbuster.

I'd argue that Quantum Break has the better chance of being a breakout hit (not a blockbuster, but a very strong title/franchise ala Alan Wake).

Averon

If all those discounts/w bundled games didn't move the needle, then something other than price may be at issue. If that's the case, then MS has a much harder problem to solve than I realized.

I hope sunset overdrive is a good game but I remember fuse happened.
"From the makers of Fuse and inspired by Brink, comes the biggest sure-fire blockbuster of 2014..."

I'm saying this tongue-in-cheek, as I truly hope Sunset Overdrive is a good game. We need more creative shooters. I was hoping Brink would be a success :(

Madness

I'm guessing it's probably still under 4 million globally then? Because they'd at least announce it as a milestone no? Xbox One is selling decent for its price and relative to Xbox 360, but it's crazy just how dominant Sony and the PS4 have been. Seems like it's time to make that price drop permanent, advertise the hell out of it, and start packing in some digital games.

Halo 2 Anniversary or whatever they have planned will definitely sell some but it's going to be tougher and tougher as Sony grabs a near double lead in units sold globally. With Phil at the helm, they can hopefully really hammer in how important exclusives and top quality games will be.

MS counters 7 million sold to 5 million shipped to retailers? Many of which are collecting dust and retailers are cutting price and bundling the system to get of stock

Ouch MS

klee123

Karma for what? Sony fanboys have been the loudest and most obnoxious since the PS2 days, and possibly even earlier.

Yeah and the Sony fanbase got ridiculed mercilessly and Sony rightfully got called out for the PS3 during the start of last gen. Yet, now when the tables have turned, people are complaining that the forum behavior is "toxic" for MS fans.

Maybe some are genuinely shocked since they've only started reading forums in the last few years, but like as you said, this has been going on forever and I just find it hilarious that people are disgusted by this behavior.

shinnn

Yeah and the Sony fanbase got ridiculed mercilessly and Sony rightfully got called out for the PS3 during the start of last gen. Yet, now when the tables have turned, people are complaining that the forum behavior is "toxic" for MS fans.

Maybe some are genuinely shocked since they've only started reading forums in the last few years, but like as you said, this has been going on forever and I just find it hilarious that people are disgusted by this behavior.
PS3 launch was a complete disaster for a gamer. $600 with no games, SO was a mess. It got his first blockbuster only in 2008. It was selling less than GBA, struggling for months to hit 100k on NPD. And Sony did nothing since they were still selling for EU and Japan because the PS2 history.

XB1 is doing ok, had a good launch lineup, received a blockbuster just a few months later. MS already changing things trying to catch up. Its far away from being a bad console like most people on gaf want to convince.

Even the X360 owners were ridicularized on forums too. "Xbox 1.5", "paying for live", sub-hd games, etc, etc. Sony fanboys are always active, and the most active whatever Sony is in good or bad shape.

Not surprise though. Playstation brand is a huge success, of course they will have the most loyal and fanatics customers compared to MS.

Mentok

Banned
In time for E3? Would Sony have enough hard data to declare 2:1 at E3 if they make it by then?

I doubt they boast that this early in the console cycle. Especially since MS can counter that the One isn't available everywhere yet. Sony will just stick to their own figures and how good they are.

EDIT:
Playstation brand is a huge success, of course they will have the most loyal and fanatics customers compared to MS.

I'd say both Sony and MS have their fair share of fanatics.

Alchemy

those numbers aren't too bad considering the PS4 is available in more markets.

Considering the Xbone isn't supply constrained, and is available in the only markets that really bought the 360 to begin with... it actually sort of is. Especially since they only shipped 1.1 million since the end of December.

Xbox One is available in all those markets as well.

Just last week I saw several Titanfall bundles in a Tier-3 country that won't even be getting an official console release this year.

I-hate-u

This will be a very interesting E3. I don't know what MS can do more than strong Halo/Gears showing + price-cut, but I am sure Sony has already prepared a counter to that move.

PS3 launch was a complete disaster for a gamer. $600 with no games, SO was a mess. It got his first blockbuster only in 2008. It was selling less than GBA, struggling for months to hit 100k on NPD. And Sony did nothing since they were still selling for EU and Japan because the PS2 history.

XB1 is doing ok, had a good launch lineup, received a blockbuster just a few months later. MS already changing things trying to catch up. Its far away from being a bad console like most people on gaf want to convince.

Even the X360 were ridicularized on forums too. "Xbox 1.5", "paying for live", sub-hd games, etc, etc. Sony fanboys are always active, and the most active whatever Sony is in good or bad shape.

Not surprise though. Playstation brand is a huge success, of course they will have the most loyal and fanatics customers compared to MS.

I got your back and support what you said.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Considering the Xbone isn't supply constrained, and is available in the only markets that really bought the 360 to begin with... it actually sort of is. Especially since they only shipped 1.1 million since the end of December.

From the NPD thread:
And it was 3.9m to retail at the end of last year. 1.1m shipped in the quarter. As gofreak put it in the other thread, Sony is selling through to consumers in one month what MS shipped to retail in a quarter.

Doesn't look so peachy in that light.

stack9902

Banned

It's is far to early to tell anything from the data so far, outside of that the PS4 has done a lot right, and M$ is digging out of a hole they dug for themselves. They are outpacing the 360 which is good and 4.5 or whatever they have actually sold is impressive given the higher price point, if they do a price drop, that could only help them. Another potential promising thing for M$ is that there are still a lot of current 360 owners who may make the jump to next gen within the next 12 months. When those users upgrade it could be a huge influx of new XB1 owners, this of course is pure speculation, but its a reality that isn't far fetched. Either way, the console race this gen is great for the consumer.

Even the X360 were ridicularized on forums too. "Xbox 1.5", "paying for live", sub-hd games, etc, etc. Sony fanboys are always active, and the most active whatever Sony is in good or bad shape.

Christ, fuck off with this shit. Everything gets ridiculed by people on this forum always. Take it from someone who's been on this forum since the Dreamcast days. I'd say that the XB1 has had a better launch window (not just games, but sales, PR, etc) than the PS3 did for sure, but that doesn't suddenly make it immune from criticism.

Sony's pitfalls with the PS3 launch was a toxic mixture of arrogance (coming off a position of pure power which led to the price, coupled with the Cell architecture) and the blu-ray trojan factor (which also contributed to price). And the console faltered and was criticized. It recovered to a degree, but were you even on the forums during the Giant Crab days?

The XB1 is a different version of the same story; coming off a position of power (360 wasn't PS2-levels of dominant in North America, but it'd toppled the sequel to a powerhouse), Microsoft's next console faltered perhaps not due to arrogance, but something close to it. Though the XB1 is overpriced compared to the PS4, and that is a factor, it's PR which has killed any potential momentum for the XB1 early on. The DRM fiasco, the reveal focusing on TV and sports, the lack of focus and dismissal of importance on building powerful hardware, etc.

The Xbox One has suffered more criticism than the PS4 over the past year, but there's a reason for that, and it's not because Sony paid a bunch of astroturfers to inhabit a single forum.

From what I've seen, there's been a very loud and clear voice on this matter and what Microsoft can do to curb the criticism: drop the price, focus hugely on games, and... well that's about it. Stop astroturfing, stop spinning, drop or justify Kinect, inject value into the system. If that happens - and I honestly think it will happen at E3 - then I think you're going to see a shift in perception not just on these forums, but perhaps in the marketplace as well.

stack9902

Banned
This will be a very interesting E3. I don't know what MS can do more than strong Halo/Gears showing + price-cut, but I am sure Sony has already prepared a counter to that move.

Both companies should have huge tricks up their sleeves and will pull out all the stops.

M$ needs to be on point this year especially after last year. They have other IP's like Crackdown, Mechassault, Alan Wake, they still have the Rare license they could leverage as well everyone's favorite Midtown Madness, lol that last one I threw in because I wish they would bring that back. oh well, time will tell.

Insomniac picked the wrong time to make a Microsoft exclusive title. I find the title to be highly interesting but I don't see it appealing to the current fanbase of the Xbox One as much as Titanfall or any other shooter for that matter. I would take the title multiplatform if the contract allowed for some sort of out. Who knows how the agreement was structured though.

thefit

Insomniac picked the wrong time to make a Microsoft exclusive title. I find the title to be highly interesting but I don't see it appealing to the current fanbase of the Xbox One as much as Titanfall or any other shooter for that matter. I would take the title multiplatform if the contract allowed for some sort of out. Who knows how the agreement was structured though.

It should do ok tho it has guns and looks xtreme.

Even the X360 owners were ridicularized on forums too. "Xbox 1.5", "paying for live", sub-hd games, etc, etc. Sony fanboys are always active, and the most active whatever Sony is in good or bad shape.

Says one of the better known ms defender, and "sony fanboy" name caller.

Servbot24

Banned
Sunset Overdrive could very well be a great success, but you can say that about literally any unreleased game we know practically nothing about. It's not a useful point of discussion.

I-hate-u

Insomniac wanted to own their IP and MS benefits from a a former PS exclusive developer on their platform (PR gloat). Seems like a perfect marriage to me.

Gator86

So did Fuse and that didn't do so well. Hell, I forgot the name of it and had to google it to remember. Using "Insomniac games flop" and every damn result was for Fuse.

I have been an Insomniac fan forever but they haven't released a good retail product since 09 with A Crack in Time. Into the Nexus was fun but you definitely got the feel they're running on fumes. Everything else from the last 5 has been dumpster fire quality. I literally could never even play Resistance 3 because of install errors and hard freezes. People should probably be pretty fucking skeptical going into SO.

So did Fuse and that didn't do so well. Hell, I forgot the name of it and had to google it to remember. Using "Insomniac games flop" and every damn result was for Fuse.

Fuse was an okay game.
It was just tainted from that unnecessary design change,

Then again, the problem with Insomniac is that they have never been able to be consistent outside of their genius gun/weapon designs (clank, resistance, etc.)

I have been an Insomniac fan forever but they haven't released a good retail product since 09 with A Crack in Time. Into the Nexus was fun but you definitely got the feel they're running on fumes. Everything else from the last 5 has been dumpster fire quality. I literally could never even play Resistance 3 because of install errors and hard freezes. People should probably be pretty fucking skeptical going into SO.

Resistance 1 SP was great, didn't carry over to 2.
Resistance 2 co-op was great, didn't carry over to 3.
Resistance 3 went back to 1 SP design, but then mp was just average.
Fuse picked up on R2 co-op design, but failed to realize what was great about R2 co-op.

A crack in time was great............but then those sequels.....
Into the Nexus was fine, but too short too late.

It's like Insomniac love their fans, but at the same time don't listen...

Insomniac was so stuck in a rut creatively and sales wise with Sony that they desperately needed to get away from the safety net and push themselves.

If Fuse turned out differently maybe they would have gotten another multiplat deal instead of this weird console company double act they have going on but hey, They got to pay those bills!

thefit

But it has wall jumping, guns, zip lines AND zombies (?) it should at least trick a couple of titanfall fans that it plays like titanfall making for instant sales by slim association.

ItIsOkBro

Do you think they phrase it as 'sold-in to retailers' in efforts to fool the less observant into thinking these are sold figures?

Top Bottom