• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One seemingly won't support external storage at launch.

Did you miss the similar PS4 thread?

PS4 also gets less backlash for the simple reason that they've very sneakily managed expectations from the get-go.

Like half the features they talked about in the Feb event were aspirational with a bolded a. You could literally watch David Perry drop his spaghetti all over the stage by talking about stuff years from realisation.

Same with the whole 'launch in US & Europe' stick. Sony did the clever move by not announcing the no.of European countries, so they don't put a committal upfront.

Some of the people in the other thread must be feeling pretty silly now.

Some of us actually care about both the Xbox One and PS4 supporting this type of functionality and not petty point scoring between the two consoles. Obviously the Xbox One needs it more not having a replaceable internal drive but both should support it eventually.

I'm not sure it's fair to lampoon the Xbox One for not launching with this capability however, the only reason it's a big deal is because it doesn't have the fallback method to increase disk space for installed games of swapping the internal drive like the PS4 does.

Using this as an example of MS rushing things doesn't make sense to me when Sony hasn't even announced if the PS4 will ever support this functionality. It does appear to be more complex than I thought it was with the Wii U already being able to do this, I'm still not quite sure why.

Who is going to fill up 500GB while this feature is being finalized? You'd have to buy every game for the first 6 months and then some.

PS4 also gets less backlash for the simple reason that they've very sneakily managed expectations from the get-go.

Like half the features they talked about in the Feb event were aspirational with a bolded a. You could literally watch David Perry drop his spaghetti all over the stage by talking about stuff years from realisation.

Same with the whole 'launch in US & Europe' stick. Sony did the clever move by not announcing the no.of European countries, so they don't put a committal upfront.

Yeah setting consumer expectations makes life easier for everyone, no need to backtrack and look like liars or incompetent.

jayu26

no, it was filled with, "ooooh, that's ok, I can just install a larger HDD day one. Thanks Sony!"

Well...at least you can say that about PS4, what can you say about Xbox One? This perception that Sony gets favoritism has to go...

Some of us actually care about both the Xbox One and PS4 supporting this type of functionality and not petty point scoring between the two consoles. Obviously the Xbox One needs it more not having a replaceable internal drive but both should support it eventually.

I'm not sure it's fair to lampoon the Xbox One for not launching with this capability however, the only reason it's a big deal is because it doesn't have the fallback method to increase disk space for installed games of swapping the internal drive like the PS4 does.

Using this as an example of MS rushing things doesn't make sense to me when Sony hasn't even announced if the PS4 will ever support this functionality. It does appear to be more complex than I thought it was with the Wii U already being able to do this, I'm still not quite sure why.
To the bolded, the reason people are using it as an example of MS rushing to launch is because they announced it as a feature when it obviously wasn't ready for launch.

Sony aren't accused of rushing because they never announced the feature, so no one expects it.

Honestly, I think the feature not being there at launch for MS has to do with the recent always online DRM removal. I imagine they could have had more time working on other features if not for that. I also suspect they didn't expect to be launching so soon.

Saying that, I don't think I'll miss this feature on either console. I don't really use external drives.

pompidu

Ah, I see. Maybe you'll get lucky and it ends up being a widespread issue!

I'm holding off on getting launch console's, specially xbox after rrod fiasco. Really weird they would just remove the option to replace the hdd. Even the external cant be used till after launch. They comment on why they removed that option? (Non-replaceable hdd)

DBT85

Who is going to fill up 500GB while this feature is being finalized? You'd have to buy every game for the first 6 months and then some.

Anyone not just using it for games.

So as it stands right now (much like summation in the PS4 thread about the same issue).

The PS4 cannot use external drives for games, but you can swap the internal drive out for a larger drive or an SSD or whatever. The Xbone you can't use an external drive for games, or change the internal drive at all.

Xbone hopes to use an external drive for games in the future, Sony haven't commented on it.

Raonak

Banned
Sounds like their OS team is overloaded trying to get the DRM reversed. Between this, and the kinect languages, I wonder what other features are gonna come out undercooked.

I'm holding off on getting launch console's, specially xbox after rrod fiasco. Really weird they would just remove the option to replace the hdd. Even the external cant be used till after launch. They comment on why they removed that option?

They never had it running in the first place. Lower down on the priority list, will get to it after launch.

no, it was filled with, "ooooh, that's ok, I can just install a larger HDD day one. Thanks Sony!"

Different circumstances.

1. This was the same as PS3's situation. If PS3 supported external and PS4 doesn't, everyone would be mad as well.

2. Sony never mentioned anything about supporting external hdd, only about user-replacibility of internal HDD. Sony's side of a clarification of a query.

3. Announced Xbox features not available for all countries or not-being-ready-day-one? There's like 100 of these type of thread ever since E3.

KingJ2002

This is a non-issue IMO.

500GB out of the gate is a lot of space.

Cloud Storage out of the gate also provides a decent alternative.

it should hold people over at least a year or so and hopefully microsoft should have a solution in place for external hard drives.

jayu26

Different circumstances.

1. This was the same as PS3's situation. If PS3 supported external and PS4 doesn't, everyone would be mad as well.

2. Sony never mentioned anything about supporting external hdd, only about user-replacibility of internal HDD. Sony's side of a clarification of a query.

3. Announced Xbox features not available for all countries or not-being-ready-day-one? There's like 100 of these type of thread ever since E3.

Is it confirmed that you cannot even use it as a storage? I know you cannot run games from it.

lynux3

So it's not okay to be able to expand your internal storage if you can't install games on an external drive which PS4 supports? Both of these options are not even supported by Xbox.

netBuff

So the PS4 not supporting games on external drives seems more ready to you? What's the point of external drive support then? 1TB of game saves? Lol. 500GB is going to take some time to fill, no need to get an external drive on day one. The cynics need not come out at every XBO thread, its getting old.

With the PS4, you can easily replace the internal HDD (even with an SSD!). Not being able to replace the internal drive is a very real drawback the Xbone has, external drive support in itself isn't that interesting. Sony has also never advertised being able to install games on external drives, while Microsoft did (and now won't deliver at launch).

OverHeat

« generous god »
You guys are going to fill up that 500 GB in less then 6 months?....who care if it's not there on release.

jond76

Banned
This is a non-issue IMO.

500GB out of the gate is a lot of space.

Cloud Storage out of the gate also provides a decent alternative.

it should hold people over at least a year or so and hopefully microsoft should have a solution in place for external hard drives.

This is my point. Why complain about a feature you most likely have no use for on day one?

MoneyHats

Banned
With the PS4, you can easily replace the internal HDD (even with an SSD!). Not being able to replace the internal drive is a very real drawback the Xbone has, external drive support in itself isn't that interesting. Sony has also never advertised being able to install games on external drives, while Microsoft did (and now won't deliver at launch).

Nope, a real drawback is not letting you install games on an external drive.

Buys, 500GB drive... Oops I'll end up with the same amount... Buys 1TB drive...there...oh damn, only 500GB worth of an upgrade. :(. Not too efficient replacing that 500GB drive now is it?

I rather wait a little and have it done the right way. Not being able to install games on an external drive defeates the purpose of needed extra space.

StevieP

Banned
Even Nintendo, with their unfinished barely-OS had this feature in place with proper encryption. Microsoft probably should have waited until December or something.

skybald

I bet they would have been able to support it if they did not do a 180 on other things. Their programmers are trying to right a lot of wrongs so they are probably behind on coding a lot of other features.

qko

So Nintendo ends up learning its lesson the most from the last generation when it comes to data storage and treatment of indies.

Not an issue at launch unless you literally buy every game released between now and March, but that's still incredibly odd.

StevieP

Banned
This won't be the only thing not available at launch from what I've heard

You've heard right. As stated earlier in the thread, there is a list of things that are launch critical and there are secondary and other things further down the list for the folks at MS.

Wickerbasket - I doubt you'll see any mechanical storage in a Nintendo product (ever) for a whole host of reasons. 32gb of flash is certainly small but costing (and losing money per console of course) is the reason for that. Point is, plug in anything external USB - at Your own cost - and it worked as easy storage expansion with encryption in place. This isn't extremely difficult to do, so it's probably a sign that the Xbox team is stretched right now.

They'll probably have metrics on how fast people are filling their HDDs, so as soon as they see people don't have enough space to buy DLC you can bet your ass they will fast track this update if it isn't released by then.

All in one, except it can't be used as a HTPC?
TV SPORTS TV SPORTS
But you can't actually watch the shows you recorded, your movie collection or your own home videos on it...

WHY

Why would anyone want this thing as the 'center of the living room' they think it is.

Or do they mean only for games?
Not supporting external HDDS or network hard disks would be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

ethomaz

Banned
Question...

No external storage means I can't play videos from my HDD in Xbone or I can't install games in my HDD?

Overpriced HDD's/SSD's from Microsoft incoming which are the only one's who will work thanks to that shitty security code, much like the USB (does not meet recommended system requirements) 360 crap.

jond76

Banned
You're saying there were no complaints? Or not enough for your liking?

Haha. Ok, I see your point. I guess I'm just reaching my saturation point on negativity. Especially when it has to be manufactured.

Like I said, as long as it's implemented before people start maxing out their 500GBs, it shouldn't even be a complaint.

Top Bottom