• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One seemingly won't support external storage at launch.

Iacobellis

The system has 3 operating systems and uses "a significant amount of storage", just a friendly reminder.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/storage

Surface RT
The 32 GB Surface RT has approximately 15 GB storage available for user content
The 64 GB Surface RT has approximately 45 GB storage available for user content

Surface Pro
The 64 GB Surface Pro has approximately 28 GB storage available for user content
The 128 GB Surface Pro has approximately 85 GB storage available for user content

manu7

Neo Member
M$ will probably sell their own external storage and not allow people to just use any ext HD that they already have

baphomet

Not surprising. External storage took 5-6 years to be added to the 360. AFTER they gouged everyone for their minuscule hard drive upgrades.

MoneyHats

Banned
The system has 3 operating systems and uses "a significant amount of storage", just a friendly reminder.

What's the 8GB of flash storage used for then? Someone needs to get their facts straightened out, PS4 may actually draw more from its HDD because of this.

Krakn3Dfx

What's the 8GB of flash storage used for then? Someone needs to get their facts straightened out, PS4 may actually draw more from its HDD because of this.

I wouldn't assume the PS4 doesn't have flash memory just because Sony hasn't talked about it. Sony included flash memory with the Vita for the OS and never talked about it, and they now have that PS3 with flash memory. The only reason we know about it in the XBO is because of their Hot Chips talk, a lot of what's inside the PS4 is still an unknown at this point.

I would expect the XBO will get external storage support earlier than the PS4, but I think over the course of the PS4, it only makes sense for Sony to add it as well. It's not something I've overly concerned about for the first couple of years minimum. If the system lets you play the games while they install, that means no sitting around waiting for disc installations to happen, so you can easily delete older games to make room for newer ones if that becomes an issue.

xbone is not ready for world wide launch!

Based on all the recent news I can't believe they were originally targeting the xbone for launch this year. They literally got caught with their pants down when sony announced.

My guess is for pause/resume of a game in progress, system updates while in sleep mode, quick restarts etc. The spec sheet specifically says "Xbox One system software uses a significant amount of storage; less internal storage will be available to users" with regards to 500GB storage.

amardilo

I thought MS had a huge team working on it's dashboard and OS stuff (sometimes I think they concentrate on that far more than they do making games) so I am surprised this and other features are not in at launch.

But on the plus side 500GB should do for a while until they can add it in via an update (as long as they do not take too long).

muzzymate

Wish they would remove or find a work-around of the Xbox 360's USB 32GB storage limitation. My 320GB + 2 32GB USB sticks are nearly full of game content.

rawd

So the PS4 not supporting games on external drives seems more ready to you? What's the point of external drive support then? 1TB of game saves? Lol. 500GB is going to take some time to fill, no need to get an external drive on day one. The cynics need not come out at every XBO thread, its getting old.

For a self proclaimed all you need media center, it's pretty silly to not support external drives don't you think

SiRatul

So if those 3 operating systems turn out to be much heavier than Win8 64-Bit and the Surface Pro is any indication of that then the X1 could end up with just a bit over 400GB.
That could be a problem for some if the update doesn't come fast. Though I don't see why it would take them long. Doesn't seem to be a hard thing to implement. Especially since the OS is based on windows.

BigDug13

...How could anyone fill up 500GBs on an Xbox within like 5 or 6 months of Launch.

If every game fully installs and they now use blu-rays which can reach upwards of 50GB, who knows exactly how much space the devs will decide to take up per disk/install.

Also unknown, how much HDD space do those three operating systems take up. (And probably the real reason they made the HDD not swappable because 3 OS's that won't magically install on HDD swap.

It's really not that hard to fill 450GB, if games need to be fully installed and you install a few of them. Game size will only go up from now. So I hope both companies implement external storage for games rather sooner than later.

So in real terms you get 410-450GB.

Seems a lot but this is meant to be an all-in-one entertainment box so it is odd you can't use external storage.

Having said that my laptop only has a 400GB hd and its plenty.

Although I'm not an all-in-one-entertainment kind of guy. I like to spread the entertainment love around. So I have a few juicy little digital files here, a few juicy little digital files there, and few more disparate files spread out over there...

BigDug13

So in real terms you get 410-450GB.

Seems a lot but this is meant to be an all-in-one entertainment box so it is odd you can't use external storage.

Having said that my laptop only has a 400GB hd and its plenty.

Although I'm not an all-in-one-entertainment kind of guy. I like to spread the entertainment love around. So I have a few juicy little digital files here, a few juicy little digital files there, and few more disparate files spread out over there...

I would be really surprised if what they said meant all external storage. I'm quite sure they're simply saying "you can't play games directly from a USB drive at launch."

And if the OS is robust enough to give you access to the game files as far as ability to copy them over to USB and back again, you can simply manage your own external storage and internal storage. In other words, if you need room for a game and your HDD is full, if MS gives you the ability to copy a 40GB game off your internal drive to store on your external, you can manage your internal storage which is the one capable of playing games directly.

I would hope that both companies will give the consumer direct copy control of games so that we can facilitate our own game storage decisions to support "games only playable on internal drives" limitations. But maybe not if they're worried about hacking or anything.

eastmen

Banned
Definitely a worry about security. If the team is so uncertain about their own creation, WTF have they been doing for the last 12 months? Choosing tile border colors?

Don't remember when neogaf and some of the internet had a bitch fest and MS removed their DRM? So in the last 4 or 5 months MS has been redoing their DRM. This is tied directly into the DRM change.

Biker19

Banned
They need time to make it so only xbox branded overpriced external hdds work.

Overpriced HDD's/SSD's from Microsoft incoming which are the only one's who will work thanks to that shitty security code, much like the USB (does not meet recommended system requirements) 360 crap.

That's exactly what they're planning to do. They'll do whatever it takes to make them more money, just like with the Xbox 360. Get ready to spend hundreds of dollars on their proprietary shit, guys!

Metfanant

When I get an XB1, I have a 4TB bad boy just waiting to penetrate his USB port <3
good luck...

...How could anyone fill up 500GBs on an Xbox within like 5 or 6 months of Launch.

ill tell you what...i put a 320GB in my PS3 within a year or so of launch...and for years it sat almost empty...but after PS+ came around and i started trying games i would have never purchased...it filled up DAMN quick...

certainly i could go and delete games i dont play...but it does start to fill up...

Nope, a real drawback is not letting you install games on an external drive.

Buys, 500GB drive... Oops I'll end up with the same amount... Buys 1TB drive...there...oh damn, only 500GB worth of an upgrade. :(. Not too efficient replacing that 500GB drive now is it?

I rather wait a little and have it done the right way. Not being able to install games on an external drive defeates the purpose of needed extra space.

not really, your point is pretty backwards...being able to upgrade the internal storage is certainly the more important of the two...i can always move "media" to the external drive of the PS4...storing my movies, music, etc on the external (which can then be moved to wherever i need it...while keeping the internal for games...

would it be BETTER to have the option for both? sure...but certainly Sony's approach is the lesser of two evils here...at least they give me the option to plop a multi-terabyte drive into the console internally...

M$ will probably sell their own external storage and not allow people to just use any ext HD that they already have

wouldn't shock me one bit...

Just do it within the first year and I won't care. A year seems like a reasonable time, because I don't think I'd fill up the 500GB that soon.

Microsoft better SERIOUSLY get the feature out there soon though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Of all their admittedly big concerns at launch this one seems quite trivial. Without BC and their all installed all the time approach no one is going to use all their storage up before this is finished.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You guys are going to fill up that 500 GB in less then 6 months?....who care if it's not there on release.

I imagine those concerned are planning on going fully digital. I do think folks are probably overestimating how many 40 GB games there are going to be but 500 GB (~430) can be filled in short order.

BigDug13

Well game DVR and blu-ray sized games are two things the 360 didn't have to contend with and DVR is something the PS3 didn't have to contend with.

And we still don't know how large those OS's are.

Sorry if this was answered, but does this mean it won't save games externally or does it mean it can't use any form of external storage for anything, like if someone wanted to play something off of a USB stick?

It's really not that hard to fill 450GB, if games need to be fully installed and you install a few of them. Game size will only go up from now. So I hope both companies implement external storage for games rather sooner than later.

Plus, what about movies and music? People will want to have some of those on their hard drive too, thus taking up space.

Amir0x

Banned
how long after launch will kinect be supported?

It's really starting to get difficult keeping track exactly what is even going to be ready for the Xbox One at launch. The amount of difficulty in transition from the consumer-fucking model of Xbox One to what it is now must have really hurt them.

&#9679; Self-publishing coming to Xbox One; won't be fully in place at launch.
&#9679; "Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available." --> Kinect will only work fully in 5 countries out of the 13 launch countries.
&#9679; Xbox One will be available in 21 countries for Launch -> Xbox One will launch in only 13 countries
&#9679; External Harddrive is supported --> External Harddrive support won't be ready at Launch
&#9679; Xbox One pre-orders in Europe Tier 1 countries receive FIFA 2014 for free --> Wait, we mean it's for Xbox One Day One Edition pre-orders.
&#9679; Pre-loading not ready for Launch; Will Come Later

When you add on top of all this the massive amount of 180s - all positive as far as I'm concerned - this has to be the most confusing console launch of all time. It's remarkable really. Everything that can be confusing is at this point.

nded

People keep saying this. They probably won't, considering they didn't do this with external HDDs on 360.

I can install and run X360 games on an external?

Even if MS lets you use any old external drive, I would expect them to format it to the Xbone's own file system so it can't be used with any other device.

Personally I would be more worried about the fact that they cant put this in because they are too busy with other features then the fact that it won't be in at launch. Sounds like xbone will release as a major beta O/S wise.

Edit:
I can install and run X360 games on an external?

Yes you can but the caveat is you can only utilize 32GB of external storage for whatever arbitrary reason. I purchases the 4GB model (after my launch finally died) and used an old 250GB external and I get 32GB only lol.

Paches

It's really starting to get difficult keeping track exactly what is even going to be ready for the Xbox One at launch. The amount of difficulty in transition from the consumer-fucking model of Xbox One to what it is now must have really hurt them.

&#9679; Self-publishing coming to Xbox One; won't be fully in place at launch.
&#9679; "Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available." --> Kinect will only work fully in 5 countries out of the 13 launch countries.
&#9679; Xbox One will be available in 21 countries for Launch -> Xbox One will launch in only 13 countries
&#9679; External Harddrive is supported --> External Harddrive support won't be ready at Launch
&#9679; Xbox One pre-orders in Europe Tier 1 countries receive FIFA 2014 for free --> Wait, we mean it's for Xbox One Day One Edition pre-orders.
&#9679; Pre-loading not ready for Launch; Will Come Later

When you add on top of all this the massive amount of 180s - all positive as far as I'm concerned - this has to be the most confusing console launch of all time. It's remarkable really. Everything that can be confusing is at this point.

It speaks to how off badly Sony caught them off guard with their PS4 announcement and they had to hurry to get the Xbone out the door around the same time as the competition. They are slashing features left and right to get it out the door. You better believe that if the PS4 was to launch in, say, the fall of 2014 just for the sake of debate, they would glady have also said they are launching in the fall of 2014 to polish up a lot of these things.

GavinGT

Banned
Yes you can but the caveat is you can only utilize 32GB of external storage for whatever arbitrary reason. I purchases the 4GB model (after my launch finally died) and used an old 250GB external and I get 32GB only lol.

On the bright side, you can still use the rest of the HDD space for something else (unlike Wii U).

Lunzio

Obviously not too big of an issue, but it still kind of points to Microsoft not actually being ready for a full launch. No big deal though. People won't be filling 500GB unless they're saving all their sessions onto the hdd.

Top Bottom