• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

Look, monopolies aren't a good thing, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that reading "competition is a good thing" over and over wasn't annoying.

I'd prefer Sony to compete with someone else other than Microsoft. That's how I feel.

On topic: nice launch, Microsoft.

There isn't much else. Nintendo is doing their own thing with the Wii U, PC is also it's own market.

spwolf

This is a battle of virtually meaningless numbers ( unless you're Nintendo), but please continue to work hard to make the other team feel bad over a successful initial launch. Your life depends on it.

Numbers are important thats for sure, even launch numbers.

Race has started.

Both small and big publishers are now looking at the numbers when deciding their future platform's of choice and their investments in them.

imt558

Banned
MS Selling 1m+ at the price they're at is impressive. It shows the brand has power, now to see how the coming months turn out.

Well....NOT!

PS4 +1 mil. in NA ( USA/CAN ) : XO +1 mil. 13 countries. At first it looks quite equal, but when you look deeper, it's not.

This :

PS4

Nov 15th
NA
US
Canada

Nov 29th
EU/PAL
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Russia
Spain
Sweden
UK

LA
Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Mexico
Panama
Peru

December
Asia/ME/Africa
Hong Kong
Korea
Malaysia
Singapore
Taiwan
UAE (and the rest of ME?)
South Africa

Feb 22nd
Japan

TBA (likely before Japan)
India (2014?)
Indonesia
Philippines
Thailand

XB1

Nov 22nd
Australia
Austria
Brazil
Canada
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Spain
UK
US
NZ

+ Japan 2014 probably

Sony started produce ( end of June - early July ) PS4 about 2 months before Microsoft started produce the XO. That's about 2+ milion units advantage. Well, when you calculate before PS4 launch 15th. Nov., it's about 4 - 4,5 million PS4 units produced. 1 mil. for NA launch. 2 million for EU market ( it's Sony's biggest PS market ) and million for LA . Surely, from 15th Nov. and to 15th. Dec. Sony probably preparing about 1,5 mil. more units for Asia/Middle East/Africa and for holidays in NA. And until launch for some countries in 2014 ( Japan and few countries in EU ) PS4's will be ready.

peace

Neo Member
Yep. PS4 would never be as good as it is, and Sony's much-improved attitudes would never have happened if it weren't for having to seriously fight it out with X360 in the first place. Competition, no matter how seemingly similar in many ways, is essential to getting good things. Otherwise, all of these motherfucking corporations would give less and less for more and more (than they currently are, anyway).

IMO both consoles are comparatively considerably weaker specs-wise than the PS360 were. Sony have gone a completely different route to last time in they are making a profit not a massive loss per console sold, but the PS4 as a result is much less powerful than it could have been.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
IMO both consoles are comparatively considerably weaker specs-wise than the PS360 were. Sony have gone a completely different route to last time in they are making a profit not a massive loss per console sold, but the PS4 as a result is much less powerful than it could have been.

The ps4 is still sold at a loss of $60, which can be covered very quickly

I am thinking a lot for uk, and we will see some numbers next week.
ChartTrack will have a figure out through the UK game sites after the weekend.

I wonder where it stacks up:
PSP - 185K
PS3 - 165K
3DS - 113K
Wii - 105K
NDS - 87K
Xbox 360 - 70K
PSV - ~40K
Wii U - 40K

There isn't much else. Nintendo is doing their own thing with the Wii U, PC is also it's own market.

They could sell the division to another company or spin it off, which some of their shareholders have been in favor of. If it ended the moneyhatting for third party exclusives like Titanfall and keeping them off their competitors console, it would be beneficial for the industry. As we now know, Titanfall was going to be on the PS4 after roughly 1 year. They did the same thing with the GTA4 DLC, which kept it off the PS3 and PC for well over a year.

ChartTrack will have a figure out through the UK game sites after the weekend.

I wonder where it stacks up:
PSP - 185K
PS3 - 165K
3DS - 113K
Wii - 105K
NDS - 87K
Xbox 360 - 70K
PSV - ~40K
Wii U - 40K

If we are going off say 600-700k for the US, then surely 165-185k is too high to say for the UK shipments. Would only leave ~100-200k for the rest of the 10 countries? Now I know the US and UK would have the largest interest but that seems ridiculously low for rest of Europe surely?

Prine

Banned
How is xb1's UI so much better exactly? They both serve their purpose quite well and are improved from their predecessors. Also, buying third party exclusives is not exactly considered focusing on exclusives.

Because I can snap Gaf while my games are loading :)

20131122_190042.jpg

1 million sell-through each for Xbox One and PS4? Good for them, but also...yawn.

If Nintendo had 1 - 1.5 million N64s and Wiis ready to go on launch day it would have easily sold through every one of them in 24 hours. If Sony had 1 million + PS2s ready to go on launch day it would have sold thru all of them in one day. If Microsoft had 1 million + Xbox 360s available on launch day it would have sold 'em all within the first day.

Anyway, these good launches for X1/PS4 should hopefully put to bed the stupid analysts who claimed that the videogame industry is unhealthy. Combined with a growing PC gaming market, the industry is probably healthier than ever, at least for PC and consoles.

hoos30

Numbers are important thats for sure, even launch numbers.

Race has started.

Both small and big publishers are now looking at the numbers when deciding their future platform's of choice and their investments in them.
To be clear, numbers do count. Less so "first day numbers" which are more a function of stock levels than anything else.

Raist

Banned
If we are going off say 600-700k for the US, then surely 165-185k is too high to say for the UK shipments. Would only leave ~100-200k for the rest of the 10 countries? Now I know the US and UK would have the largest interest but that seems ridiculously low for rest of Europe surely?

700k seems the most reasonable figure for NA, and would match the GS report, although I'm fairly sure they mixed up FY and calendar year (otherwise it made no sense).

So that leaves 300k for the EU, AU/NZ and Mexico/Brazil.

There's no way it'll be ahead of PSP/PS3 in the UK, and I really doubt it would be ahead of the 3DS either, especially considering that they likely tried to push GER/FRA.

Didn't Amazon UK say it was going to be the best console launch?

That's all I'm taking from this thread.

Both of you are doing it wrong...you need to tie your entire self-worth as a human being to your chosen console and then defend your choice to the death...in the end if your chosen console wins you can get a cookie for your console warring!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So PS4 confirmed to sell most in 24 hours since it sold 1 million ONLY in NA?

Yes, I think we can safely say that the PS4 will outsell the X1 by at least a million this year. When Sony releases in Europe, you are looking at at least another million units + whatever they've sold in the US since the US release.

Hindle

Banned
The Xbox brand is still strong. Congrats to everyone over in Redmond. Now the games begin.

Aye not bad for a console that was apparently going to be a disaster. I'm confident they'll continue to build momentum as well, thier first year lineup is very formidable.

Vamphuntr

To put thing into perspective we need to know how much they have shipped and how the shipment was spread in the 13 territories. Bulk of sales should have been in the US followed by the UK so I doubt they shipped much units in the rest of their tier 1 countries.

Asd202

Good numbers for MS. But Sony will build a huge adavantage this year WW. Anyway this is good news maybe developers will drop cross-gen games by 2015.

marrec

Banned
Cut it out with the console warrior crap, this is amazing news for everyone who loves Video Games. The two newest consoles have a real possibility to sell 4 million units before 2014 between the two of them!

That's nuts.

Looks like dedicated home consoles still have a place in this industry. It'll be interesting to compare launch window sales between current gen and next gen next year. WiiU already flopped there. Let's see if PS4 and XB1 can avoid faceplanting.

It appears the GAF stories of XB1's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
I don't think anybody has said anything crazy like it will make it past the holiday season without selling out. They sold 80 million 360s and counting last gen. There isn't much to say about either console for the next 6 months, other than they had great starts.

Just out of curiosity, I'm from Brazil and I got my PS4 imported from a store here. The store had 80 PS4s and they were sold out in 1 day. They cost R$ 2299 (about US$1000).

My friend who works at this store said that for each XBone sold, there are like 15-20 PS4s. Shit's crazy. Also, the XBone has officially launched here for the same price (2299), the PS4 will be launched on the 29th for 3999 (almost 2,000US$).

Brashnir

Given that both Microsoft and Sony rely so heavily on sales of third-party games, it benefits both companies that they both hit big numbers on launch day.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Given that both Microsoft and Sony rely so heavily on sales of third-party games, it benefits both companies that they both hit big numbers on launch day.

Only stupid fanboys wants MS or Sony to dominate. It was great the last gen with both consoles just about neck and neck. Great for consumers. Good for consumers and good for retail.
It's a pity that WiiU isn't more successful too.

Top Bottom