• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

statham

It's like they say, a sucker's born every minute.

image.php

belvedere

Junior Butler
Sales ignorant gaffer here, but don't we usually wait for other sources to confirm this? Again, I'm ignorant with the timing and implications of these sales figures, but it seems awfully fast to release these numbers, especially considering there are reportedly Xbones available. So did they ship more than one million units, explaining the availability of the console?

The whole thing just seems like a prepared "me too" reaction to the PS4 numbers.

Only stupid fanboys wants MS or Sony to dominate. It was great the last gen with both consoles just about neck and neck. Great for consumers. Good for consumers and good for retail.
It's a pity that WiiU isn't more successful too.

I don't know man, the PS1 and PS2 era were pretty amazing.

Sales ignorant gaffer here, but don't we usually wait for other sources to confirm this? Again, I'm ignorant with the timing and implications of these sales figures, but it seems awfully fast to release these numbers, especially considering there are reportedly Xbones available. So did they ship more than one million units, explaining the availability of the console?

The whole thing just seems like a prepared "me too" reaction to the PS4 numbers.

We'll get confirmation of November's first-two-week USA sales on December 12th.

The USA received a large portion of the initial PS4 / Xbox One allotments...and we can roughly estimate the size of the USA market relative to the worldwide market.

If for whatever reason PS4 / Xbox One USA NPD sales are dramatically low (like 200K sold, for example), we'll have good reason to suspect the claims of PR.

IzzyF3

I would not get surprised if Titanfall gets mysteriously delayed on PC & 360 for a couple of weeks or more.

Like what Nintendo did with Zelda Twilight Princess? The Wii didn't need to do that for the console to sell though. But eh, Microsoft is in a different situation.

Tak3n

Banned
I heard on the Spike launch video they did, that PC release will be later in the year (2014)

Respawn have confirmed that, unlike many games these days, Titanfall will not be suffering a mysterious PC delay.

“Titanfall is releasing simultaneously for XB1, 360, and PC,” confirmed Respawn’s Abbie Heppe to Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

“It does not require Windows 8 on PC.”

http://games.on.net/2013/11/titanfall-not-delayed-on-pc-does-not-require-windows-8/

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Because I can snap Gaf while my games are loading :)

20131122_190042.jpg

So you have tiny text to squint at? Looks useless. Just pickup a tablet or make the page full screen. Won't it tell you when its done?

Only stupid fanboys wants MS or Sony to dominate. It was great the last gen with both consoles just about neck and neck. Great for consumers. Good for consumers and good for retail.
It's a pity that WiiU isn't more successful too.

There's good reason to want MS to do poorly. Just like Sony last gen, they need to un-learn their arrogance and anti-consumer behavior. Sony had to claw their way back into the race, and now MS is in the same position. They started pre-launch, though; good for them.

CzarTim

There's good reason to want MS to do poorly. Just like Sony last gen, they need to un-learn their arrogance and anti-consumer behavior. Sony had to claw their way back into the race, and now MS is in the same position. They started pre-launch, though; good for them.

Yep. The Xbox is a big leap in the wrong direction for the industry. Supporting will actively make gaming worse by giving weight to the anti-consumer BS that the console is still riddled with even after all the 180s.

When MS releases a Kinectless version, gets rid of intrusive ads, and stops putting basic functionality behind an over-priced paywall, I will totally pick one up. If they fail miserably before they wise up, well then Valve/Amazon/Google/Apple will step up and fill the gap. That's how markets work.

Well, Sony did unlearn arrogance but not anti consumer behavior as the subscription requirement clearly shows. There's no way to know if poor Xbox performance will open the door for Sony to screw over their customers even more, or if arrogance will make a return. Sony and Microsoft are equally anti consumer and they both show their true colors everytime they're in a position of power.

So the better thing for consumers is for both companies to do merely OK, as in sell decent amounts of boxes but fewer than last time. Of course the best thing for consumers would be a truly consumer friendly platform like PC or Steam Machines to gain prominence and force them to shape up.

oSoLucky

Well, Sony did unlearn arrogance but not anti consumer behavior as the subscription requirement clearly shows. There's no way to know if poor Xbox performance will open the door for Sony to screw over their customers even more, or if arrogance will make a return. Sony and Microsoft are equally anti consumer and they both show their true colors everytime they're in a position of power.

So the better thing for consumers is for both companies to do merely OK, as in sell decent amounts of boxes but fewer than last time. Of course the best thing for consumers would be a truly consumer friendly platform like PC or Steam Machines to gain prominence and force them to shape up.

I wouldn't say charging for PS+ is anti consumer. Have you though the about the financial implications of it being free vs paid for another generation? We want them to improve their online infrastructure, with their console already being sold at a small loss. The company is barely in the black as is.

I don't think a 3rd party would have more accurate info about MS than MS would.

Plus, maybe each console has a unique console ID. The system is literally a brick if you don't connect it to the internet so it wouldn't be too hard to just do a count of how many unique IDs hit the servers and be able to know that you've got at least x active units out there.

Prine

Banned
So you have tiny text to squint at? Looks useless. Just pickup a tablet or make the page full screen. Won't it tell you when its done?

Nope, I don't sit too far away. Far easier to do it this way for me. Instead of pick up phone, unlock, hit browser (or when it comes out of sleep mode it reloads the page). And my phone is usually on charge when I get home.

I wouldn't say charging for PS+ is anti consumer. Have you though the about the financial implications of it being free vs paid for another generation? We want them to improve their online infrastructure, with their console already being sold at a small loss. The company is barely in the black as is.

Charging for PS+ is not the anti consumer part, holding multiplayer hostage until you cough up the dough is. Sony's financial situation is of no concern of mine, I'm just a consumer not an investor or a fan. Should we also expect a PS+ price hike if their financials don't improve? Where does it say that the consumer should pay the price for the company's blunders?

Taking away choice from the consumer is never a good thing. Provide me a service, convince me of its value and let me decide if I want to use it or not. If you try to force me by stripping away functionality you can f right off.

CzarTim

Equating Sony and MS on this matter is really disingenuous. I am not saying Sony is completely devoid of it, or that they won't eventually go down this path. But when have they ever reached this level of anti-consumer policy? The PS3 was arrogant, not anti-consumer. Online behind a paywall is anti-consumer, but it's still cheaper than Gold and other basic functionality (like apps) is still free.

Amir0x

Banned
Online behind a paywall is anti-consumer, but it's still cheaper than Gold and other basic functionality (like apps) is still free.

I just want to say that it is this EXACT internal compromising that allows these companies to slowly move the goal posts on us. I don't know what can be done about it, but this is what they count on.

Prine

Banned
I have no problem reading it on my tv, but unlike that guy the mobile site kicks me out to the desktop page :/

pretty useless anyway, since the IE voice commands don't work for me in snap (controller works)

Go to IE setting and set to mobile view. Snap IE works wonderfully in mobile view.

CzarTim

I just want to say that it is this EXACT internal compromising that allows these companies to slowly move the goal posts on us. I don't know what can be done about it, but this is what they count on.

I agree, and it's why I haven't gotten a PS4 yet. Bums me out. But either way, Sony and MS are not on equal terms when it comes to this stuff.

Charging for PS+ is not the anti consumer part, holding multiplayer hostage until you cough up the dough is. Sony's financial situation is of no concern of mine, I'm just a consumer not an investor or a fan. Should we also expect a PS+ price hike if their financials don't improve? Where does it say that the consumer should pay the price for the company's blunders?

Taking away choice from the consumer is never a good thing. Provide me a service, convince me of its value and let me decide if I want to use it or not. If you try to force me by stripping away functionality you can f right off.

Sony provided you a month of service for free to see if you want that service or not. If you do not want to play online multiplayer, then do not get PS+. Pretty simple, and something people on Xbox have been doing for 7 years now.

Atleast Sony actually gives you quality back with your investment in free games. Res0gun is one of the best games at launch for the PS4 and guess what, you do not have to pay on top of the PS+ for it. You will also get 60-75% discounts on games from now till the end of this consoles lifespan.

You have all the choice. Either purchase or not. I guess the mistake Sony made was offering free multiplayer last generation. Spoiled people now do not want to pay a whopping 4 dollars a month. Black Friday will see 30$ 1 year PSN also. Then it is like 2-3$ a month. The money we are talking about here is absolutely nothing. Complaining about it just makes you look cheap.

Equating Sony and MS on this matter is really disingenuous. I am not saying Sony is completely devoid of it, or that they won't eventually go down this path. But when have they ever reached this level of anti-consumer policy? The PS3 was arrogant, not anti-consumer. Online behind a paywall is anti-consumer, but it's still cheaper than Gold and other basic functionality (like apps) is still free.

Have you used any Sony products over the last 15 or so years? I have used a lot of them and they're always filled to the brim with anti consumer bull crap. Sony always uses proprietary ports, proprietary memory cards, proprietary everything to force you into buying their stuff. Not to mention their hilarious DRM music standard that rendered most of their mp3 players unusable. Don't kid yourself, they are just as evil as Microsoft.

Sony provided you a month of service for free to see if you want that service or not. If you do not want to play online multiplayer, then do not get PS+..

Oh, how big of them! "Remember that thing that you used to get for free a few years ago? Here's a taste, now pay us because f you we want money". Consumer rights are being eroded and we only care about who screwed us over first. That bodes well for the future.

Prine

Banned
And how is this more useful then browsing gaf on your phone/ipad/vita while gaming ?
the snapped browser is hardly readable, even when you're sitting like a meter from the screen.

It's convenient for me and your bullshitting, it's legible, I'm speaking from experience not from a PR tick box. Keep it up

Steroyd

Sony is trying to convince you with the games on offer with PS+ and it's not like the console is practically a brick that just plays games without it.

Throughout the PS3 Sony's PSN was criticised as inadequate compared to XBL, personally I didn't see it, but it was enough noise for Sony to compete in this area, so congrats competition I guess.

Kysen

That snapped screenshot is barely legible from the distance the photo was taken. I don't see how anyone would be able to read that from their couch.

Sony is trying to convince you with the games on offer with PS+ and it's not like the console is practically a brick that just plays games without it.

So why do they need to take away features if the value is so great?This is just like the DLC situation all over again, cut out parts of the experience and sell them for extra. It's shameful.

CzarTim

Have you used any Sony products over the last 15 or so years? I have used a lot of them and they're always filled to the brim with anti consumer bull crap. Sony always uses proprietary ports, proprietary memory cards, proprietary everything to force you into buying their stuff. Not to mention their hilarious DRM music standard that rendered most of their mp3 players unusable. Don't kid yourself, they are just as evil as Microsoft.
You know, that's completely fair. I still wouldn't say they are equals, but you make a valid argument.

Top Bottom