• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Pretty much everything they revealed with the system has changed. How amazing is it to actually have the power, consumers?

The headset isn't necessary to play on Live either. But if its not shipped in the box, most dont talk.

The fact that Kinect is there in every box means were much more likely to have innovations with it.

Microsoft's new policy:

guy%20begging.jpg

Sounds like they're listening to consumers to me.

pargonta

I frankly hope there is a re-reveal of this system in its new state.

this drip feed of 180s has my mind so boggled. i'm still upset at them for the initial decisions, but they're on the right track at least.

PS4 would still provide more over X1, being the considerable more powerful machine resulting in not-small indiscernible performance differences in games.

You're basing this off of nothing.

And I really doubt first year multiplats will show any tangible difference. The big audience won't give a damn about missing SSAO or antialiasing. Just like they didn't care on ps3.

Is there any other product launch in history where the product reveled was almost the exact opposite as the product released due to customer backlash? So many people in this thread wanna high five and chest bump Microsoft after completely changing their product vision. Microsoft has to be embarrassed. They have changed nearly every policy and feature they spent weeks defending. Sure, they responded to their potential customers. However, to swing and miss SO BADLY with your initial plan and feature set makes it hard to feel confident in Microsoft moving forward.

How can you feel honestly confident in Microsoft moving forward considering all their visions and ideas for this system have been completely out of line with those of gamers? They stood by their decisions for so long, then backpedaled, folded, and made their system more similar to the competition.

At least for those concerned with the decision making at Microsoft, and having a hard time staying confident in them for years to come, there are alternative consoles you can support.

jim2011

Is there any other product launch in history where the product reveled was almost the exact opposite as the product released due to customer backlash? So many people in this thread wanna high five and chest bump Microsoft after completely changing their product vision. Microsoft has to be embarrassed. They have changed nearly every policy and feature they spent weeks defending. Sure, they responded to their potential customers. However, to swing and miss SO BADLY with your initial plan and feature set makes it hard to feel confident in Microsoft moving forward.

How can you feel honestly confident in Microsoft moving forward considering all their visions and ideas for this system have been completely out of line with those of gamers? They stood by their decisions for so long, then backpedaled, folded, and made their system more similar to the competition.

At least for those concerned with the decision making at Microsoft, and having a hard time staying confident in them for years to come, there are alternative consoles you can support.

I would say they refined their policies. The only MAJOR MAJOR change was the reversal on always online / the way discs were handled. Everything else has been them refining their policies due to feedback but not a complete change. No other change goes against their vision, they are just providing more flexibility to consumers/developers.

I applaud them

Cartman86

Banned
Count me in the camp that finds the stuff Kinect can supposedly do to be extremely interesting. Makes this console at least somewhat unique compared to the PS4. That assumes it all works. It also assumes you care about UI, media, and ease of use features. Kinect games will of course be better, but I really don't want to move around while playing a game. These features are really what make the console unique and a selling point to the average consumer. Removing the Kinect from the box would ruin that strategy. Buy a PS4 if you want pure gaming at this point.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
At $100 more than PS4, this, and every 180 they've made changes nothing.

It means I can buy one now in
2 years.

I would say they refined their policies. The only MAJOR MAJOR change was the reversal on always online / the way discs were handled. Everything else has been them refining their policies due to feedback but not a complete change. No other change goes against their vision, they are just providing more flexibility to consumers/developers.

I applaud them
Their entire vision was controlling every aspect of the system. It is now much more open. It's pretty much the complete opposite of what they revealed.

They're listening to the customer. How in the world is that a bad thing? Some of you just cannot digest this news. Don't become a parody of what was a very sane argument.

p3tran

Banned
I kind of wish they went through with their original pitch and restrictions just to see how it played out. Also I hope they keep the Kinect in the box. A 100% adoption rate will make devs want to utilize Kinect in cool new ways knowing every Xbox One owner is a potential user.

without having any data at all, I would guess that what would happen is a whole lot of red balance sheets.
simple as that.

Situacao

Wow.

To fully complete the U turn, I bet they're going to, along with a most likely price drop/no Kinect version, end up changing that fantastic name.

I have to send my apologies to IGN. This AMA actually turned out to be rather informative. I'm very, very interested to know what questions they'll answer next Monday since its Gamescom week.

Honestly, all the 180's don't really drastically change the vision of the system. It's just giving a few extra options.

Yes, the 24hr check is gone. But there's still going to be a heavy focus on "online experiences", "social", "the cloud", and all of Microsoft's favorite buzz words. But, you can now take your Xbox One into a cabin and play single-player and/or local multiplayer games for more than 24hrs, or sell disc games to whoever.

Yes, the "Kinect has to be plugged in" requirement is gone. But there's still going to be a heavy focus on voice controls, "Kinect-enhanced" features like the controller syncing, fitness, some motion controlled games, and all of that. But, if your Kinect breaks, or you're worried about the NSA, there's one less thing to worry about when using non-Kinect features.

The vision hasn't really changed, but it's mostly now "we hope you like our vision, but hey...it's cool if you ignore some of it. Plz still buy our system at least" as opposed to "this is our vision, fuck everything else. love it or leave it". But the actual intended functionality is still mostly the same.

smurfx

get some go again
PS4 would still provide more over X1, being the considerable more powerful machine resulting in not-small indiscernible performance differences in games. Kinect features haven't proven to out-benefit that.

If they really want to impress ppl they need to show how third party games can use voice commands to macro tedious menu navigation or something. So far nothing to show that.
i doubt 1st year games will show much of a difference. if the xbone was 50 dollar cheaper then microsoft could advertise it as being a much better value than the ps4. sony can say the ps4 is more powerful but they can't really get into why its more powerful since most casual gamers don't know much about ram or gpus.

If I had 100 dollars for every 180..

You'd have enough to buy one!

As for this latest reversal, good on them. But it doesn't seem like a policy change so much as a clarification, in which case it need to be asked what the FUCK are they doing that they STILL can't put out some clear messaging!!! No wonder the data shows luke-warm to nonexistent purchasing intent. The exclusives they have look pretty awesome. Its just that Sony has been ON POINT since FEBRUARY, with one message 'Its a games machine, for gamers.' Everything else (the stuff MS decided to flaunt first) is treated by Sony the way it should be: cherry on the top window dressing.

I'll probably get one, but not until the inevitable Halo 5 60FPS Blister Edition.

bidguy

Banned

damned if you do, damned if you dont huh ?

some people around here are unbelievable...

Sounds like they're listening to consumers to me.
For sure, and it is something that should be done. No point being so steadfast in your mindset when you're trying to sell to customers, no need to make it harder on yourself by pushing something they don't want or object to!

But the thing is if you're constantly having to make these u-turns and having to keep changing your policy then you need to take a good hard look at yourself and ask why you keep making decisions that customers are not happy with because you end up looking like you don't know what you're doing.

Top Bottom