• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

But the actual intended functionality is still mostly the same.

Most of it wasn't all that bad to begin with. I want my console to be always connected so it can download patches or the shit i queue from my mobile device instantly on my console. Now bring back the sharing of my game library with anyone i want online and were getting somewhere.

The further MS deviates from their original stance, they more I ask myself, what in the hell were they thinking in the first place?

This was inevitable, right?

I mean they never once explained why it needed to be plugged in, just that they really wanted it to be plugged in. To then force it on a system level was narrow-sighted (much like pretty much everything they originally announced).

I mean, what were they thinking? If they had come out of the gate saying you can be online all the time and if you choose to you will get these benefits, instead they made it you must be online all the time and if you don't - well screw you. Then the same with Kinect, without really giving any solid reason why a consumer would want to. If you buy our console hers some things you have no choice about. It's arrogant and dumb.

One thing can be said about a launch filled with amazing hubris that MS had is that you can get a solid month or so of good news just by backing down on every stupid thing you originally started out saying.

Averon

Microsoft's new policy:

guy%20begging.jpg

As it should have been from the start.

p3tran

Banned
But the thing is if you're constantly having to make these u-turns and having to keep changing your policy then you need to take a good hard look at yourself and ask why you keep making decisions that customers are not happy with because you end up looking like you don't know what you're doing.

I dont know.. its not like it was the same heads behind xbox 1, 2 and now 3.
my simple explanation is the wrong people where put at heavyweight spots.

for example, this generation everything points to the fact that xbox brand will be for its first time "not the stronger machine in the market."
if I was running microsoft or xbox, one of my top priorities would be to keep this "title" of the stronger machine alive for all generations. and they just lost it...

zroid

Banned
What the hell is wrong with Microsoft's messaging? Well, regardless, this is nice to know.

In fact, some of the Kinect features pointed out there even sound pretty neat.

but not trying to sell something some people dont want

Oh come on.

They're all the same. Don't act like Sony loves us all.

Does Vita memory cards tell you nothing? Or UMDs, or even Cell and bluray on the ps3?

Lately Microsoft's just been terrible in communicating. And tried to shove down our throats horrendous policies, of course.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
But the thing is if you're constantly having to make these u-turns and having to keep changing your policy then you need to take a good hard look at yourself and ask why you keep making decisions that customers are not happy with because you end up looking like you don't know what you're doing.

Got to agree with this. The amount of u-turns is frankly amazing. They should change the name to Ubox.

Oh come on.

They're all the same. Don't act like Sony loves us all.

Does Vita memory cards tell you nothing? Or UMDs, or even Cell and bluray on the ps3?

Lately Microsoft's just been terrible in communicating. And tried to shove down our throats horrendous policies, of course.
dont have vita, ps3 yet
borrowed ps3 from a friend
only 360

cell, bluray....come on now

Doodis

I guess they're just better at it?
Haha, touche. No argument there. But, my point was that posters here act as though Sony is some benevolent saint and Microsoft is the devil, when in reality, they're both just out to make boatloads of money.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This makes it even tastier.

Well he has been defending the indefensible for the past few months. He must feel like his life is a complete lie, now without any backing.

Haha, touche. No argument there. But, my point was that posters here act as though Sony is some benevolent saint and Microsoft is the devil, when in reality, they're both just out to make boatloads of money.
There's ways to respect your customers. Everyone hates EA in the digital space, while they love Valve.

Both have the same end game, but choose different ways to get there.

sublimit

Banned
So basically they were lying when they were previously saying that the XB1 needed Kinect in order to function?

Anyway this is good news.I'm pretty sure before the end of this year they will remove Kinect completely and also drop the price.

So basically they were lying when they were previously saying that the XB1 needed Kinect in order to function?

Anyway this is good news.I'm pretty sure before the end of this year they will remove Kinect completely and also drop the price.

They didnt lie about anything. That was the vision that they had when Mattrick was there and now that hes gone, it isnt. Its not complex.

If your sports team changes the GM, you dont expect the new one to make changes? Isnt that why they change him in the first place? I dont get some of you.

p3tran

Banned
cell, bluray

Those notably inflated the price of the console. And admittedly, especially considering the bluray, it wasn't that sought after.

So yes, even Sony tries to sell us things we don't want. Maybe it's just better at it than Microsoft.

actually sony and microsoft are not that different in the large scheme of things.
and the way they push products is as easy to change as interchanging the offices who do their marketing.

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 24m

Yes, Kinect sucked this gen for people like "us." but there was clearly an audience who is actively interested, and who are less demanding.

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 55m

If being able to detach the Kinect makes some people more comfortable, cool? It's still in the box. Without it, the UX is diminished.

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 1h

Nothing Microsoft does wrt the Xbox One surprises me anymore. Nor do the fanboy reactions.

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 28m

Going by sales numbers, a hell of a lot more people wanted kinects than they did, say, vitas. Or moves. Or Wii Us. Combined.

First the drm and now this. Yo Arthur
c480x270_30.jpg

tell me how my taste!

Jintor

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING MICROSOFT

can't decide on this, can't decide on that. First it's mandatory, now it's not. Backtrack and spin in circles. Do you even know what you're selling anymore?

This is great news for those that actually still want to support this fucking company. That said, they'll just require Kinect for a large portion of games and features in order to get you to activate it/forget about it. They'll do the same thing with online features.

Rhindle

Only the 180s on other issues, this is NOT a change. I've been saying this since E3 - Kinect features in games (and in the OS) are all optional, just like with the 360. The only open question has been whether the Kinect unit needs to be plugged in (even though turned off) at all times.

kingocfs

can't decide on this, can't decide on that. First it's mandatory, now it's not. Backtrack and spin in circles. Do you even know what you're selling anymore?

Idk man, it's not really all that confusing. People said they didn't want mandatory Kinect and DRM, so they got rid of it.

So the problem doesn't exist? Great reasoning.

Those notably inflated the price of the console. And admittedly, especially considering the bluray, it wasn't that sought after.

So yes, even Sony tries to sell us things we don't want. Maybe it's just better at it than Microsoft.
so you didnt bought a ps3

Do you even know what you're selling anymore?
Its sounding more and more like they're selling a gaming console with every passing week.

If they ditch the gold paywall for apps it might also start to sound like a decent media hub for gamers and non-gamers alike as well.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
great news for people that may accidentally break their kinect and the tin foil hatters.

Majanew

Banned

They had a vision that was being rejected. So they're changing the things that many were getting upset about. Now everyone else that just hates MS/Xbox can find some new shit to cry about. MS is making the right decisions changing the Xbox One for the better.

Top Bottom