• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: new info from Famitsu (map size, battle system, characters)

Most of the info sounds good, but I have a question. I know there isn't a dedicated healer class/character but are there any healing arts at all? I mean besides the soul voice qte that pops up during battle? I only ask because its possible there could be healing techniques just not a dedicated healing class.

Neiteio

I hope the stray cats you rescue can join your party and not contribute to battle at all. Instead they shit in the sand and roll around in the sun and stare at you during battle, prompting you to tell the monster "wait one sec" while you stoop over and put treats on a napkin.

I'm guessing the 8 unions won't be mutually exclusive, but rather work in a manner somewhat like different towns in Xenoblade with their own affinities and such. It'll probably also tie into what the treehouse told us about how you need to find survivors with talents besides the military. Those people are probably members of the other groups. So I would think it'd be something like Blade was the first organization to really wake up form suspended animation, but you need to find and build up the others to help humanity advance on Mira

alvis.exe

I'm pretty sure I spent 200-300 hours on the first Xenoblade going for 100%. Almost got there too except for a few Arts and skills that I haven't maxed out yet. Can't wait to do that again here.

Also looking forward to some more info about the alien races. There's nothing in here that even hints about what the other alien factions are up to, what was up with that giant robot attacking New LA, where those alien-looking civilization areas were, etc. The only thing we know is that Tatsu is met on Mira, but I need to know if Nopon are indigenous to Mira or not and if we're gonna get to explore another Frontier Village!

There's some good news here, although it's a lot of stuff we already know. That 300 hours figure is insane, although I figure bug testing was a decent part of that. I'm curious to see how the 'open world' element will function. I'd imagine there will still be a pretty strong narrative push, and it's possible that some areas might be locked off until later, but it seems like there will be a lot more freedom.

Curious to find out how the Unions will function, too.

Too bad about Sawano doing all the music. Otherwise I continue to look forward to this.

The only bad news to come out of this. I was holding out hope that maybe there were other composers who were actually competent working on part of the soundtrack.

It's going to be weird to go from an all time great game soundtrack to what will likely be the worst video game soundtrack ever.

I have a feeling cats are going to be playing a larger role than what people might expect.

They showed a cat during treehouse live as well.

ARMS, PATHFINDER, and COMPANION all seem cool to me, I wonder if the classes are unlocked by how much you level up in a union.

paolo11

Sorry to ask this all of a sudden but since this game's news makes me too damn excited, can anyone tell me where to find a 1080p wallpaper of this game (with the DOLL)?

solomon

Is the gamepad the only control option? As much as I like the gamepad I usually use it in short burst and often use whatever else is available for long sit ins. Also to make things worse my touch screen has been busted for over a year, I hope the whole teleport to other locations can be done with in game menus.

Akai

Most of the info sounds good, but I have a question. I know there isn't a dedicated healer class/character but are there any healing arts at all? I mean besides the soul voice qte that pops up during battle? I only ask because its possible there could be healing techniques just not a dedicated healing class.

The player character has a self-healing technique in the Treehouse demo, so it's possible the other characters might too. (Or it could be that only your character can heal him/herself, which could be interesting...)

It's going to be weird to go from an all time great game soundtrack to what will likely be the worst video game soundtrack ever.

The really weird thing is how every anti-Sawano comment posted in an XCX thread is so over-the-top exaggerated they are essentially parodies of themselves...

Everything sounds fucking AMAZING.

I really like that there's no healers, 4 characters instead of 3, and the game is a single player experience(at least it seems so).

Now all I need is good AI for your party members.

I like the idea of unions as a way to stratify quests by objectives (So if you know you really enjoy a certain type of quest, you can pursue that union, and if you hate another kind you avoid that one) and to create cohesiveness in the world. Also, based on the descriptions, heres what I imagine each one is focused on

Pathfinder: Quests are about exploring and discovering new areas
Interceptor: Quests are like xenoblade monster quests where the goal will be to kill a certain number of a generic monster(s)
Avalanche: Xenoblade Challenge quests (Goal is to kill a specific unique monster)
Testament: equivalent of Xenoblade's Red item orb quests
Corepedian- Material quests with collectibles and probably monster drops
Land bank-Quest is about finding a specific permanent resource point equivalent to ether deposits in Xenoblade
Arms: Quests that focus on using Dolls. Probably has some crossover with other unions like interceptor and avalanche, except whatever you're doing will be designed with the mechs in mind rather than doing it on foot
Companion: Equivalent to quests in xenoblade focused on talking to individuals and acting as a mediator (Basically, the ones where you go back and forth between npcs, or offer npcs suggestions)

That said, there will probably be some overlap, like getting monster materials is obviously contingent on fighting the monster first

too many unions
hope you can join all of them before end-game or new-game plus

I see you can switch later but just wondering how open or locked in they are to join or re-join

too many unions
hope you can join all of them before end-game or new-game plus

I see you can switch later but just wondering how open or locked in they are to join or re-join

I imagine you'll be able to join multiple at once, if not all of them at once, by the end of the game. I really doubt it's a hard lock. If anything, choosing one at the start will just be so that early on players don't get overwhelmed by too many quests at once.

TheMoon

All of this information is delicious

Someone needs to save teh kittehs

I am going to save them all!!

I played Xenoblade on Wii for 12 hours straight in 2012 and stopped until this week when I continued my save. So you are telling me I don't have to play as Shulk?

Thanks,

In 12 hours you never looked at the character screen where you could just switch between them?

Can someone explain this to me..

obviously we can heal with the 'soul voice' thing so what do they mean by no healers? do they mean here won't be any character specialize in healing ? like Sharla ?

look at this:

Yes, at E3 in fact. http://www.giantbomb.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x/3030-41347/#toc-0-9

Read the part about Soul Stage & Health. Or rewatch the Treehouse live footage. They explain it there and show it off.

There is no dedicated healing. You can heal yourself, though. See above for details.

Honestly, the lack of dedicated healer makes sense considering in the original Xenoblade Sharla was by far the least useful party member, and in general most people won't really enjoy playing a dedicated healer in a game like this anyways. Especially since they seem to want to make the combat faster and more dynamic, which doesn't really jive well with sitting back and focusing mostly on party member health and debuffs. It makes it so the player has to be a more active participant in battles, and as I said, the dedicated healer in the original Xenoblade was the least useful party member anyways

I imagine you'll be able to join multiple at once, if not all of them at once, by the end of the game. I really doubt it's a hard lock. If anything, choosing one at the start will just be so that early on players don't get overwhelmed by too many quests at once.

going by what you said it could be just a way to classify mission types

Xenoblade had all those types of missions from military to just item and resource collecting this game might just have them well organized in Unions in charge of those tasks

there was a pic of the character running near a pool with a lady sunning herself in Neo LA

then Iwata said a few times that Dolls are only available during parts of the game

so may unions do lock your ability to access some features or areas

TheMoon

Is the gamepad the only control option? As much as I like the gamepad I usually use it in short burst and often use whatever else is available for long sit ins. Also to make things worse my touch screen has been busted for over a year, I hope the whole teleport to other locations can be done with in game menus.

Seeing as Off-TV Play was just confirmed, I say chances are good that support for the Pro Controller might be in, too.

http://nintendoeverything.com/more-xenoblade-chronicles-x-details/

spared

If we've had officially seen Metroid - it would be #1 on my Wishlist - I'm sure.

Right now it's Zelda U and this is now a very close 2nd!!

going by what you said it could be just a way to classify mission types

Xenoblade had all those types of missions from military to just item and resource collecting this game might just have them well organized in Unions in charge of those tasks

there was a pic of the character running near a pool with a lady sunning herself in Neo LA

then Iwata said a few times that Dolls are only available during parts of the game

so may unions do lock your ability to access some features or areas

Yep pretty much what I've already said. I even pretty much explained how I felt each union would work based on the descriptions using comparisons to Xenoblade's quests. Only ones that I'm not sure of are Land Bank (which I'm fairly confident on being about finding resource spots that'll work like ether deposits in the original) and Arms (Which I'm guessing is going to overlap with others, but focus more on using the mecha)

Goddamn, this is all I've been thinking about today. I'm almost 100% sold on everything, I'm just waiting to hear the OST since I can't say that I know Sawano's work, other than that... fucking bring it. The stuff about the unions sounds great. Can't believe people will be playing this in April!

Too bad about Sawano doing all the music. Otherwise I continue to look forward to this.

I will never get the hate for Sawano. I thought Attack on Titan's OST was awesome and every song I've heard from Xenoblade X so far has been pretty great. I only wish they get Yasunori Mitsuda to do a song.

GDGF

Soothsayer
So I admittedly never played the first Xenoblade so I have no idea if crafting was a thing (guessing no)

But is there any possibility that the Arms faction is also responsible for obtaining loot used for a Mech crafting/customization/upgrading feature?

Arms - Assists the Arms Company in charge of the development of Dolls and their inner weaponry.

Sounds like a possibility at least.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
250 hundred hours of crappy sidequests and 50 hours of story.

That's fine with me

Guys, here's my theory/wishful thinking for the online portion. I imagine the regular game would be a regular open world RPG, whereas the online portion, then game become more like your typical MMORPG in story progression and structure. The world and everything is already there. They just need to structure the quests like an MMO and boom, you'd have 2 games in one.

Edit - Forget what I said. I misread and didn't see the "non-traditional" comment.

Honestly, the lack of dedicated healer makes sense considering in the original Xenoblade Sharla was by far the least useful party member, and in general most people won't really enjoy playing a dedicated healer in a game like this anyways. Especially since they seem to want to make the combat faster and more dynamic, which doesn't really jive well with sitting back and focusing mostly on party member health and debuffs. It makes it so the player has to be a more active participant in battles, and as I said, the dedicated healer in the original Xenoblade was the least useful party member anyways

a medical/rescue union would have worked for a city setting tho

not that this game needs healers considering they jump off mountains an take no damage
even the original game had some fall damage

On further thought, I think the unions might work like this: They each focus on a specific type of mission and you join one. Being a member of a given union will give you certain perks (Like, maybe your mech functions better if you're in ARMS, or being in COMPANION gives you a discount at stores, more experience for finding new areas for Pathfinders, etc.), some exclusive quest lines, maybe a few pieces of gear that can only be used while you're in a specific union. You'd also gain affinity (or some sort of equivalent) faster with you're own union, and perhaps even have standard actions besides quests give you affinity with your union if they match with the unions goals). However, you can still take on most of the quests other unions present.

a medical/rescue union would have worked for a city setting tho

not that this game needs healers considering they jump off mountains an take no damage
even the original game had some fall damage

They've talked about finding other survivors in their pods before, and how most of those awake at the beginning are soldiers in the treehouse direct at e3, so I'd imagine finding and rescuing members of each of the unions is a universal goal and that every union will reward you for finding survivors (with each survivor probably being given their own union affiliation)

Hiltz

Even though I was compelled to focus a lot of time on completing side quests, I hope Monolith Soft doesn't force us to complete tons of them to progress through the story. Part of what made the first game so good is that everything was optional from exploration and level grinding to completing side quests and fully exploring maps at our leisure.

Anyway, I guess we won't see the return of the Topple System because it looks as if new battle system has taken its place and with 4 characters in a party too.

Sayter

Guys, here's my theory/wishful thinking for the online portion. I imagine the regular game would be a regular open world RPG, whereas the online portion, then game become more like your typical MMORPG in story progression and structure. The world and everything is already there. They just need to structure the quests like an MMO and boom, you'd have 2 games in one.

I would be happy with almost any coop online functionality. Sadly, this is Nintendo we're talking about. Low expectations are the rule when it comes to things like this.

As someone who has never played Xenoblade, can somebody put 400km2/5x Xenoblade size into perspective compared to another game?

this is a "walkthrough"(more a "flythrough") through the huge world(s) of xenoblade chronicles.
Note that that the video length is 14(!) minutes
[obviously many (minor) spoilers]
http://youtu.be/iAYBui5ghJ0?list=PL9FDD98D55C58B5AE

here's another vid of a guy running through the worlds in fast forward. The video takes 14minutes too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLadRkjbXSc

Now imagine this x 5

edit:
Seeing as Off-TV Play was just confirmed, I say chances are good that support for the Pro Controller might be in, too.

There is 100% pro controller support for Xeno X.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This is amazing. I spent way too much time on the original Xenoblade (and I still have NG+ to enjoy, if I ever I want to return.)

The sequel might be my first 1000 hour game LOL..

They've talked about finding other survivors in their pods before, and how most of those awake at the beginning are soldiers in the treehouse direct at e3, so I'd imagine finding and rescuing members of each of the unions is a universal goal and that every union will reward you for finding survivors (with each survivor probably being given their own union affiliation)

Interceptor seems to also be tasked with rescue missions it seems from the link above to that nintendoeverything story

plank

I wonder if there going to be some underwater scenery. Did Xenoblade have areas where you can explore under water?

Top Bottom