• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: new info from Famitsu (map size, battle system, characters)

Gusy

I'm loving the art design of this game. I'm wondering if you could actually fly freely across the whole map in mech form. That alone would keep me busy for a while.

I'm loving the art design of this game. I'm wondering if you could actually fly freely across the whole map in mech form. That alone would keep me busy for a while.

I'm sure you can
LhMKryJ.gif

esQ8vAA.gif

I would be happy with almost any coop online functionality. Sadly, this is Nintendo we're talking about. Low expectations are the rule when it comes to things like this.

Yeah, disregard what I said. I read traditional rather than non-traditional.

This worries me. I liked Xenoblade because it had a linear story and i didn't need to dabble in the sidequests too much. Hopefully Xenoblade X still focuses alot on the grand story. Sidequests and side mission type things are ultimately really boring and kill the flow of narrative which is why WRPGs are generally terrible IMO

GrandHusk

Something to consider: does 400 km^2 refer to the area of a shape that would enclose the bottom of all areas combined (so if I took out the vertical axis and looked at the area of the map, it would be 400 km^2), or is it considering the surface area of all the terrain you can travel on (Which means factors like topography and multilayered areas would be taken into account), or is it somewhere in the middle where it divides every area map into several vertical levels, and then takes the flat shape area of that? Because the original Xenoblade had a huge vertical element to many of it's maps, and X looks to follow suit in that regard. This is a pretty important consideration because if it's a flat area, the actual effective surface area and density will be even bigger than it suggests. I'd think given that Xenoblade maps were given multiple layered levels with varying terrain within that it would be the option of flat maps of each level, but even that has the potential to be larger than you'd expect because of topography and the potential of overlap
Nobody have responded to you, so

400 km^2 refers to the area of the zone in a plane, like a map does... it doesn't take in consideration the altitude of the terrain.

Nobody have responded to you, so

400 km^2 refers to the area of the zone in a plane, like a map does... it doesn't take in consideration the altitude of the terrain.

I mean, that's the easiest assumption, but is it ever made explicitly clear? I can at least see them taken in layers into account, though I could also see it being the plane

Not sure about flying across the whole world map at once, as I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be zone based like Xenoblade Chronicles, but I'm sure there will be very few restrictions on being able to fly within all those zones freely.

We're getting it this year at the very least, they likely also want it to come out before Zelda, which will probably be a November release. August to October is when we'll probably get this game.

Hopefully a full reveal Direct in March for Japan, which we will also get, along with a release date along the lines of that which you said.

BumRush

I'm sure I'm going to get flogged in here but 300 hours is too much. Unless he just dicked around for 100-200 hours, this game will take me a year to complete...if I play nothing else.

Can't wait for it to release in Japan so we get some impressions. I really wonder how they filled the world and how the quests/story are.

Mesoian

]-Some famous voices actors providing their voice as options for the avatar, will be announced on the Xenoblade homepage later.

This is interesting, I had assumed that there would be a silent protagonist.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's almost like these are fairly arbitrary numbers due to space being virtual, and additionally cars are much faster than horses

Of course since it's all arbitrary and virtual, you can just adjust the scales and say that in the world of Skyrim, people are 2 kilometers tall, horses gallop at 40,000 kilometers per hour, and the distance ran by Skyrim Pheidippides to Skyrim Athens was 42195 kilometers. Bam, Skyrim's bigger than GTAV :)

Which is why when I see companies say "Our map is X km!" I shake my head, because companies aren't using the same physics anfor motion, or even realistic ones, across games. same for modeling, architecture, proportions, etc.

Mikel1015

Banned
Just a little sidetrack here, but can anyone confirm or deny that the E3 2014 trailer and the gameplay we got from treehouse and from the ND February 2014 has more AA than the exploration trailer? Is it just me, because it looks like it lost some AA. Hopefully they'll be able to bring some more back in to soften those jaggies

alvis.exe

I'm sure I'm going to get flogged in here but 300 hours is too much. Unless he just dicked around for 100-200 hours, this game will take me a year to complete...if I play nothing else.

Like others have already stated, I highly doubt that 300 hours is for a "normal" playthrough. The translation is "final check play time" which implies a full 100% playthrough including plenty of time for messing around and exploring every single nook and cranny of things, checking for bugs and the like.

My 100% playthrough for the first game was probably around 250 hours, and others have gotten through the game in <100 hours easily. I don't doubt that I'll probably spend more time on Xenoblade X simply because the land area is larger which means more time running around on foot, but I really don't think that it'll take more than 100 hours to just get through the story and do the bare minimum in terms of quests. Because that would be absolutely insane!

Map is five times the size of the previous game.
Fully seamless.
Xenoblade was traditional RPG, whereas Xenoblade X is an open world RPG.
Eight affiliated unions.
Parties consist of four people.
Over 90 songs featured in the game, all of which were worked on by Hiroyuki Sawano.
Playtime in the game has been recorded to exceed 300 hours while doing final checks.
i4FokR44PbX3K.gif

Blarg

Neo Member
I am worried about the "open-world" to be sure.

Here's the issue I have personally. I probably am an OCD completionist by nature, so when you put me in an open-world game, I am compelled to try and complete as many quests/side-quests/collectathons as I can before "proceeding". The problem then is that once I feel like I'm ready to move on with the main story, I've begun to lose what the main story was all about and usually is not compelling enough to keep me going.

That and the fact that open-world design is often counter towards strong narratives Because they want you to go on these "completionist" quests to do other things to spend your time in-game. After a while though you start to realize that quests become repetitive and you're doing the same thing just for the sake of ticking off a chart. True you'll spend many hours doing this, but are you doing it because you're having fun or because you're waiting for the "fun to begin"?

Also narratives in open-world games typically lose any sense of "struggle" or "evolving world" because the main quest is somehow "on hold" until you continue it, meaning the villains and your antagonists are just sitting there waiting while you go and do your thing. Also the world itself sometimes never changes because it has to be kept static so that content isn't "removed" if something on the landmass changes drastically.

It's not a dealbraker of course. But I felt that the original Xenoblade was "open world" enough as it is, so to hear the director say this one is even more so is troubling to me.

I'm pretty OCD as well, and in games like this you just have to ignore the pointless sidequests. I'm playing through Xenoblade right now and haven't done a single one because the story is good and I just want to progressing. No one has a gun to your head telling you to do them.

DA:I helped condition me to do this. So much filler in that game, and I just realized I was wasting my time.

chadboban

Oh my god please just give me this game. This is my most anticipated game for 2015, a year that has Zelda, Bloodborne and Uncharted 4. That's how much I want this game!

mzcvcb.gif

Also I heard that they're some scans floating around. I know it's not okay to post them, but is it alright if we talk about them?

Top Bottom