• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Sony Bend's PS4 Game Will Make You Panic

wM7Cd8q.jpg

It's obvious.

was it GopherD or Demonite that hinted some studio at sony was looking into/experimenting how light and dark affect fear? i think this is what they might have been talking about.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
1. He made a mistake
2. He is counting studios with multiple offices (not teams)
3. He is counting Sony Online Entertainment for whatever reason
4. They bought or are about to be buying Quantic Dream or Ready at Dawn

SOE counts. Or it's XDEV. But, I'm pretty sure SOE counts now. They did some shuffling around and now they're a WWS studio. I can't find the article...

It would be cool if we got a Survival Horror title from Sony, would be cool if it was in space, since Dead Space is kinda dead.

Not related but interesting nonetheless:

C6j32p7.png
Damn, he is talking about Heavenly Sword 2, I kinda wish Sony bring it back or something.

**Beaten.

Derrick01

Banned
Bend working on ps4 = great news

Glad they are not wasting time on Vita

Agreed. The system is dead and it was already out of date compared to the PS3, with PS4 out now it would be dumb to hold your studios back making drastically outdated handheld games that will sell about 10-20k in its debut month and less after that. They at least have the chance of making something special on PS4.

SOE counts. Or it's XDEV. But, I'm pretty sure SOE counts now. They did some shuffling around and now they're a WWS studio. I can't find the article...
Makes sense. Thx!

It would be cool if we got a Survival Horror title from Sony, would be cool if it was in space, since Dead Space is kinda dead.
Or something underwater. Beyond had a great sequence there, which looked pretty dope even on PS3.

Or something underwater. Beyond had a great sequence there, which looked pretty dope even on PS3.
hmmm, you know what you are right, an Underwater Survival Horror game would be neat, BioShock 1 wasn't a survival horror title, but it had a great atmosphere.

Scrape the idea of Space Survival Horror, we already experienced that with Dead Space, Underwater, Snow Mountains/Island, Desert/Pyramid, I'd like very exotic places.

RooMHM

Why do devs and pr people feeel the need to only talk with superlatives and hyperbole? Do they think we re fucking stupid or what?

I would absolutely go nuts over a horror game from Bend. The more AAA horror games the better. I'd love something akin to Siren / Silent Hill from one of Sony's studios on PS4.

Imagine Volumetric lighting / shaders / particles would really work wonders for the genre.

Agreed. The system is dead and it was already out of date compared to the PS3, with PS4 out now it would be dumb to hold your studios back making drastically outdated handheld games that will sell about 10-20k in its debut month and less after that. They at least have the chance of making something special on PS4.

well said

Syphon Filter Dream is Dead :(

I hope they're making a horror game of some sort. Something thrilling and that incites panic. It's not something that the other studios are doing to my knowledge.

Corto

Hey guys,

Stumbled upon this rather interesting job description for ssm. https://playstation.taleo.net/careersection/sceaexternal1m/jobdetail.ftl?job=05637

They're searching for a sr. Level designer whose job entails open world design, designing ambient gameplay and side missions, designing navigation and platforming challenges.

Don't know if this was already known? Might be for Corey Balrog's game?

They've already hired Shane Liesegang a while ago, game designer and writer at Bethesda, and he has a very strong interest in procedural content and the creation of huge worlds. Something big is brewing there at Santa Monica.

Dusky

Is it the main Guerrilla Games team doing the RPG or the newly formed second studio that did the handheld Killzone?

The devs who made Killzone: Mercenary are Guerilla Cambridge (known previously as SCE, they aren't a new studio at all. They underwent some reconstuction and now act as a sister studio to Guerilla Games.

As for the new IP which is rumoured to be an RPG, that's being developed at Guerilla Games. GG opened a new studio back in 2010 or so to develop a new IP, we know they've been prototyping for awhile now. Now that KZ:SF has been released I expect the main bulk of GG will be working on the new IP.

Amir0x

Banned
They've already hired Shane Liesegang a while ago, game designer and writer at Bethesda, and he has a very strong interest in procedural content and the creation of huge worlds. Something big is brewing there at Santa Monica.

A huge Space RPG apparently

God I hope those rumours are true. I would want that so bad

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Cyberia, you made me remember that I want a Heavenly Sword sequel. DAMMIT.

EDIT: So Mr. Liesegang is with SSM? Mein Gott, the possibilities... The game's been almost 3 years in development... Hype is rising.

Takao

Banned

My eyes couldn't roll back any further than they just did.

AznSniper

Has Yoshida-san clarified to his 16 worldwide studios comment yet? I could have sworn that he has been quoted to only say there are 14 studios in WWS especially during E3 and GamesCom.

Perhaps he accidentally leaked that there are 2 acquisitions to be announced? Maybe Ready At Dawn and Quantic Dream? Both studios have kept a stance of "no comment" which could probably mean there have been talks.

I'm guessing Bend is working on a new zombie game. That is what I immediately think of when I see the word "panic". I would expect bend to do something closer to Dead Rising or Resident Evil 4 than Silent Hill or the old school Resident Evil's though.

"Panic" is just about the worst word to describe how you'll feel playing a video game. Is that appealing to anyone? Do you really want to panic? I kinda just want to have fun.

Sometimes panic in a videogame is amazing. Like when you get invaded in Demon's/Dark Souls and you're completely unprepared, or running past a zombie corpse in Resi Remake and it jumps up a Crimson Head, and you shit yourself and run, or when you're in the hotel basement in The Last of Us, and when you turn on the generator several enemies spawn behind you. I'm sure plenty of PC games do it brilliantly too, like Amnesia, Day Z and SlenderMan. Sure, it's mostly present in horror games, but that's because it tends to be one of the few genres where you're not grossly overpowered.

Would love it if Bend tackled something like this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Bend is a studio which has been prepped for prime time for a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

I am eagerly anticipating their next game since they did an outstanding job with the Syphon FIlter games on PSP.

Since all of the WWS are working on the PS4 now, I'm curious about Guerrilla Cambridge. Are they big enough to make their own PS4 game, or will they just help the main GG studio with their new IP and Killzone?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Since all of the WWS are working on the PS4 now, I'm curious about Guerrilla Cambridge. Are they big enough to make their own PS4 game, or will they just help the main GG studio with their new IP and Killzone?

They have at least 6 unannounced games from their top studios. They have a lot in the pipeline from their extended family as well.

Cyberia

Certainly. Earlier this year Steven ter Heide mentioned that they have over 80 people working in Cambridge: https://twitter.com/StevenTerHeide1/status/300506403272003584

And now they are hiring:
http://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/vacancy/793-Environment-Artist&page=1
http://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/vacancy/795-Visualisation-/-Concept-Artist&page=1

I'm going to panic if it's as bad as Uncharted Golden Abyss. Only nine more chapters till I can delete this trash game from my Vita.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm going to panic if it's as bad as Uncharted Golden Abyss. Only nine more chapters till I can delete this trash game from my Vita.
Hahaha. My same thought. I can't even bring myself to play it. It's an unnerving shell that looks like Uncharted but is missing all the quality.

Hahaha. My same thought. I can't even bring myself to play it. It's an unnerving shell that looks like Uncharted but is missing all the quality.

It's like they played and studied Uncharted 2 to figure out why so many people loved it, then did the exact opposite in all aspects THEN tacked on a bunch of touch gimmicks to be like "hey look we heard cellphone games are popular XD"

I'm not gonna write them off just yet, but this game is gonna have to have some damn good trailers to get me to even pay attention.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What the heck you guys, Golden Abyss is awesome.

Plato, YOU'RE OFF MY NICE LIST.

What the heck you guys, Golden Abyss is awesome.

Plato, YOU'RE OFF MY NICE LIST.
You have a nice list?

...Am I on it?

------------------------------------------------

The job listing is very broad.. But seriously weapons, animals, vechiles... It screams Jak and Daxter (and R&C)
Of course unless Bend is making a gritty Bubsy game
:/

Top Bottom