• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

@Yosp: Sony won't ban you for connecting before launch

Finalizer

goku-gets-punched-in-balls-o.gif

If I had the mad skillzzz for GIF editing, I'd slap the Bish face on there.

Love his one word answers. Microsoft should take note instead of explaining things in 3 paragraphs that never answer the question. Microsoft better start buttering customers up.

Akainu

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't find this awesome. Kinda think its petty and a little silly to be honest.

I agree. They could have just said "no" or something instead of saying "we wouldn't chop yo dick off like micro$oft" this is just ridiculous.

...wait

RE_Player

Except the guy isn't getting perm banned is he? Nelson tweeted as much. And there have been no stories of any of the other early players suffering from a ban. Where is Major Nelson's thread? Lol
Doesn't matter if he is perma banned or not. Your original post indicated this thread was not necessary because the tweet confirming Sony's stance on banning early consoles was not thread worthy. I, and the many others who have been reading and posting in this thread, disagree. What is so hard to understand?

PBY

Banned
A tweet that just says "no" in response just doesn't elicit this kind of reaction from me. The surrounding hoopla is what I find silly and petty.
Reposting, because this was lost in the thread. Has nothing to do with defending MS- bc they fucked up, or playing down the banning or anything else like that really.

Kashinoda

Banned
Doesn't matter if he is perma banned or not. Your original post indicated this thread was not necessary because the tweet confirming Sony's stance on banning early consoles was not thread worthy. I, and the many others who have been reading and posting in this thread, disagree. What is so hard to understand?

I didn't question the need for the thread, more so the responses. Yeah it's good news that people won't get banned, I appreciate that. But its the over the top replies, you'd think they just announced a cure for something.

beast786

I didn't question the need for the thread, more so the responses. Yeah it's good news that people won't get banned, I appreciate that. But its the over the top replies, you'd think they just announced a cure for something.

they actually did announce a cure for early gaming ;p

Majmun

I'm sure they have a cure for bad PR because it has much improved compared to last gen.

RE_Player

I'm pretty sure a cure for a disease would garner a greater reaction than a 10 page thread on Neogaf. This is news regarding an upcoming video game system so it's only natural for a video gaming forum like Neogaf to have responses and discussion about it. What did you expect?

PBY

Banned
Ok...? What do you want us to do for you?
Nothing. Just my opinion. But I wanted to clear up what I meant, because a lot of people responded to my first post, but didn't see my follow up. Carry on with the thread, feel free to disregard.

Sorian

Banned
One shall rise
One shall fall

I missed this.....

I won't comment on how I feel about pointing out a members current status because that is neither here nor there but I love the way you kept the same baseline in the NeoGAF world with this post and action.

watership

Looks like they just don't want retail devices on live yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/09/early-xbox-one-details/

Update 3: A Microsoft spokesperson tells Engadget that the Xbox One consoles some consumers received by accident well ahead of launch on November 22nd cannot access Xbox Live until closer to launch. The statement says: "Due to a retail partner's system issue, a very small number of Xbox One consoles were shipped to consumers before the November 22 street date.

We're pleased to see the initial response to Xbox One has been so positive, but given we are still putting the finishing touches on our games, UI and online services, as well as confidential partner and media agreements, these consoles units will be restricted from connecting to Xbox Live until closer to our launch date."

Steel

Banned
OK I'm out of the loop. Does this mean MS is banning XBOnes that connect early?

Actually more specifically.... Ya know what this thread pretty much sums it up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711880

I think the guy was banned for revealing stuff early. Silly, yes, but I think some of the reaction is pretty overblown. I mean it's like if someone signed up to be in the first wave of guests for a hotel's opening, and the ticket to the opening event arrives early and he goes to the hotel knowing that it's before opening day, he gets in the lobby and starts snapping photos. Now maybe further in the hotel there are some people painting a room still and they don't want pictures to be taken in the hotel's unfinished state, so they kick the guy out and say that he is welcome back on opening day. (For the record I'm not saying this is the guys fault, it's absolutely not)

Sony in the same position is saying that they would've let the guy watch the people paint instead of kicking them out, which is obviously more consumer friendly but that doesn't make the other hotel's policies unreasonable.

Sorian

Banned

I think the guy was banned for revealing stuff early. Silly, yes, but I think some of the reaction is pretty overblown. I mean it's like if someone signed up to be in the first wave of guests for a hotel's opening, and the ticket to the opening event arrives early and he goes to the hotel knowing that it's before opening day, he gets in the lobby and starts snapping photos. Now maybe further in the hotel there are some people painting a room still and they don't want pictures to be taken in the hotels unfinished state, so they kick the guy out and say that he is welcome back on opening day. (For the record I'm not saying this is the guys fault, it's absolutely not)

Sony in the same position is saying that they would've let the guy watch the people paint instead of kicking them out, which is obviously more consumer friendly but that doesn't make the other hotel's policies unreasonable.

If that had been stated clearly from the beginning then sure, your analogy would be pretty good. But they kicked him out of the hotal without any statement leaving the guy to wonder if he would be allowed back in on opening day or ever for that matter. I don't claim to think their policy is wrong but I do claim that they do everything to make PR look as bad as possible and no communication in this case was the issue.

I think the guy was banned for revealing stuff early. Silly, yes, but I think some of the reaction is pretty overblown. I mean it's like if someone signed up to be in the first wave of guests for a hotel's opening, and the ticket to the opening event arrives early and he goes to the hotel knowing that it's before opening day, he gets in the lobby and starts snapping photos. Now maybe further in the hotel there are some people painting a room still and they don't want pictures to be taken in the hotels unfinished state, so they kick the guy out and say that he is welcome back on opening day. (For the record I'm not saying this is the guys fault, it's absolutely not)

That analogy is awful. There are so many holes that I don't know how anyone will miss them.

But I'll laugh at one of them - the unfinished state, because the console is finished, so that kinda renders your point null.

Cizard

As good news as this, it's probably worth bearing in mind that someone on europe receiving it before the 29th would not even nearly be the same situation as what's happened on the Xbone front. It would have already have been released in North America, so impressions would be all over the internet.

And this wouldn't also apply to the american launch because?

Sorian

Banned
That analogy is awful. There are so many holes that I don't know how anyone will miss them.

But I'll laugh at one of them - the unfinished state, because the console is finished, so that kinda renders your point null.

I believe the analogy would be pointing to the fact that online/live may not be all done which is probably true. The lobby would be the console itself, looks great. The unpainted rooms are live and everything associated with it. The analogy really isn't too bad.

Steel

Banned

What renders my point null? Do you think I'm defending the Xbox one? I'm not buying one so honestly I could care less about it. The overblown reaction is actually just a bit amusing though.

If that had been stated clearly from the beginning then sure, your analogy would be pretty good. But they kicked him out of the hotal without any statement leaving the guy to wonder if he would be allowed back in on opening day or ever for that matter. I don't claim to think their policy is wrong but I do claim that they do everything to make PR look as bad as possible and no communication in this case was the issue.
I'll give you that, but my point is that while this is indelicate I don't really see this as such a horrible thing. I suppose what would be more accurate is the guy being pushed out by security guards.

I believe the analogy would be pointing to the fact that online/live may not be all done which is probably true. The lobby would be the console itself, looks great. The unpainted rooms are live and everything associated with it. The analogy really isn't too bad.

That makes better sense, but as an overall, a better analogy would have been to just straight up compare it to a piece of tech, but I understand it better now.

watership

Well he's not banned from using the console and games. He just can't get his Xbox One to work on XBL.

And to continue the hotel analogy, he booked in early but he didn't get kicked out, he's just not getting room service.

Radec

Some people in this thread thought that Shu said the words on the thread title.

Whereas he really just answered "No".

lol

Top Bottom