• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I do think DQXI will be at least on PS4. I just don't think it's the smartest decision business-wise. I explained why but I guess we should wait the cold shower DQH's Western sales will be to realize that (but of course SQEX don't care about sales when they can chase Sony's dream of being relevant again in Japan and Horii's dream of doing his dreamed game - after all, he didn't actually want to develop all of his previous DQ, it was just forced to).

I think people should just accept that PS4 and PS3 are most likely going to be DQ11's home. There's no need to become angry about that

AniHawk

If we're talking about games that both already released and that are coming, while PS4/PS3 got Dragon Quest Heroes, 3DS got Theatrhythm:DQ, and it's going to get DQVIII at the end of August. 3DS will probably get the next Dragon Quest Monsters too.

there hasn't been a new dragon quest monsters game in five years. the only new dq games announced for nintendo platforms in the last year have been dq viii and theatrhythm. meanwhile, the ps platforms have had three announced in that time. it should also be noted the level of effort behind each one, where dq theatrhythm is part of an ongoing series, and dq viii is a downport of an existing game. dqh is a brand new effort and so is dq builders.

i'd also like to submit world of final fantasy as an example of square enix probably not caring too much about where audiences traditionally were for things.

RM8

I'm pretty much okay with any platform. The only way I wouldn't be able to buy it is as a XB1 exclusive, lol. If I had to choose, though? I'd go with 3DS.

Man

Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Builders.

PS4 is guaranteed to be one of the homes for Dragon Quest XI at this point.

there hasn't been a new dragon quest monsters game in five years. the only new dq games announced for nintendo platforms in the last year have been dq viii and theatrhythm. meanwhile, the ps platforms have had three announced in that time. it should also be noted the level of effort behind each one, where dq theatrhythm is part of an ongoing series, and dq viii is a downport of an existing game. dqh is a brand new effort and so is dq builders.

i'd also like to submit world of final fantasy as an example of square enix probably not caring too much about where audiences traditionally were for things.

SQEX confirmed a new DQM was in development and wasn't a remake. Back then everyone thought about 3DS because the mobile one was still doing greatly and there was no need of another one.

I think XI is going to be on PS3, PS4, and Vita. It makes perfect sense. All three platforms combined equals a large userbase and Japanese players get the option for a portable version, which perfectly suits the market. When the game comes west, it wouldn't surprise me if it's only released on PS4.

theatrhythm and DQVIII must have been really far along for them to have skipped PS systems. It makes you wonder if DQXI was originally going to be on 3DS or Wii U.

Shengar

Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Builders.

PS4 is guaranteed to be one of the homes for Dragon Quest XI at this point.

Such nonsense, how could Squenix leave the money at the table by not releasing them for the 3DS? Why Squenix hates money so much?

I think people should just accept that PS4 and PS3 are most likely going to be DQ11's home. There's no need to become angry about that

Everything about the situation annoys me other than 1. getting to play DQXI on PS4 and 2. getting to watch Wired writer and fellow gaffer Chris Kohler choke down a crow and maybe even a hat for his sheer adamance that a PS4 release would never happen.

I think XI is going to be on PS3, PS4, and Vita. It makes perfect sense. All three platforms combined equals a large userbase and Japanese players get the option for a portable version, which perfectly suits the market. When the game comes west, it wouldn't surprise me if it's only released on PS4

How does that grow the PS4 userbase for FFXV, KHIII, etc? Consumers will just buy the version on systems they already own.

Some Nobody

Everything about the situation annoys me other than 1. getting to play DQXI on PS4 and 2. getting to watch Wired writer and fellow gaffer Chris Kohler choke down a crow and maybe even a hat for his sheer adamance that a PS4 release would never happen.

How does that grow the PS4 userbase for FFXV, KHIII, etc? Consumers will just buy the version on systems they already own.

DQ doesn't grow the userbase, it's what you grow the userbase for. Same as FF7:R. They're releasing things like DQ Heroes and World of FF to try and get the PS4 base larger for games like KH3, DQ XI, FF7:R, and honestly FFXVI.

So? It's money for SE and Sony either way. And FFXV and KH3 are system sellers on their own. They're only on PS4 (and XB1) because they're global brands and PS3/Vita are pretty much irrelevant outside of Japan.

DQ doesn't grow the userbase, it's what you grow the userbase for. Same as FF7:R. They're releasing things like DQ Heroes and World of FF to try and get the PS4 base larger for games like KH3, DQ XI, FF7:R, and honestly FFXVI.

Fine. How do those multiplatform games grow the PS4 base for exclusive games like KH3, FF7, and FFXV? Consumers need to be convinced that they need a PS4, and, in Japan, these crossgen games are failing to convince people to make that switch. It needs to be exclusive to make that a compelling upgrade argument.

So? It's money for SE and Sony either way. And FFXV and KH3 are system sellers on their own. They're only on PS4 (and XB1) because they're global brands and PS3/Vita are pretty much irrelevant outside of Japan.

DQ is a much bigger deal than those games, and it's probably coming out first. If they want customers on PS4, then they can't keep pushing back the forced update. And even if those games are system sellers, an exclusive DQ would still create a bigger base to sell to because of its overwhelming popularity.

I could maybe see DQXI skipping PS3 but I don't think it'll skip Vita. I'm not even sure why I never considered Vita previously, but it makes perfect sense. Also, again, it's really not SE's job to sell consoles. They'll have plenty of people outside of Japan to sell FF and KH to, in addition to their domestic customers. I really don't think SE needs DQ to help push hardware. They're just going to want to sell the game to the largest userbase possible in Japan and a multiplatform Sony release makes sense.

I'm still betting on all three current Sony platforms getting the game. Either way, this stuff's fun to speculate about, regardless of what happens.

Fine. How do those multiplatform games grow the PS4 base for exclusive games like KH3, FF7, and FFXV? Consumers need to be convinced that they need a PS4, and, in Japan, these crossgen games are failing to convince people to make that switch. It needs to be exclusive to make that a compelling upgrade argument.

DQ is a much bigger deal than those games, and it's probably coming out first. If they want customers on PS4, then they can't keep pushing back the forced update. And even if those games are system sellers, an exclusive DQ would still create a bigger base to sell to because of its overwhelming popularity.
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, it's worth noting that in Japan you could probably count the home console million-sellers of the last two generations on a single hand. I'd confirm it, but Garaph left a hole in my heart that has yet to be filled.

Point is, it's in their best interest to cast the net as wide as possible. While Square Enix is invested in the newest generation of consoles, it's not really their responsibility to convince the Japanese public to buy a PS4. If Square Enix thinks it could sell more software if it made it a cross-gen game, they will. KH3 and FFXV are not quite in the same boat as Dragon Quest. These two franchises have some pull in the west, where the PS4 is doing a lot stronger.

MLH

And maybe even some random Nintendo platform which is totally fine.

Honestly I think they won't even bother, the only platform that would easily work with PS3&PS4 would be WiiU and SE haven't touched WiiU since DQX
I think the next few weeks is going to be a big fuck you to all the Dragon Quest gamers on Nintendo's consoles.

Some Nobody

It's hedging their bets, a little. Even the Xbox One sells a few consoles every week, and that system is dead as a doornail. The Ps4, though? It's just a matter of convincing fans. Crossgen games won't move consoles like a PS4 exclusive will, but it still moves consoles.

PS4 won't hit PS2 heights in Japan. That ship has sailed. But if they're going to create a market for PS4, one or two games won't get it. It's a long term game that combines cross-gen and exclusive titles. Games that would push the hardware too much are PS4, while smaller titles would be Crossgen. Yes, DQXI is as much a heavy-hitter as they come in Japan, but the it's ceiling as far as graphical powerhouses is the Wii. It's never been brought into the HD era properly so anything will be seen as an improvement, even crossgen. It falls into another category too: its way too big to launch without trying to get as many potential customers as possible.

Don't worry. Japan's largely garbage PS4 sales come with the caveat that so far there haven't been many domestic heavy hitters yet, cross-gen or not. Biggest games I can think of are the two Yakuza titles and Disgaea. Lots of major RPGs missing, no major fighters, no big action games---mind you its 3AM and I'm running on little sleep due to some things so I might be forgetting some games--if so, I'm sorry. Panic AFTER 2016 if the PS4 doesn't have respectable numbers: Street Fighter, Tekken (potentially) Star Ocean, TLG, MGS V, Persona, FF15, DQXI and so many more large-scale titles will be available, not to mention "smaller" games like the next Tales, World of FF, and if I'm reading the hints right, a new Mana game. I still think we're all good.

crinale

We must remember SE did release DQ7 and will be releasing DQ8 to 3DS though (and DQ4, 5 & 6 are playable on 3DS too right?)

Could they pull Ni-No-Kuni and make it PS4/3DS multiplatform?

Edit: And if that happens then everything falls in between would also receive ports.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, it's worth noting that in Japan you could probably count the home console million-sellers of the last two generations on a single hand. I'd confirm it, but Garaph left a hole in my heart that has yet to be filled.

Point is, it's in their best interest to cast the net as wide as possible. While Square Enix is invested in the newest generation of consoles, it's not really their responsibility to convince the Japanese public to buy a PS4. If Square Enix thinks it could sell more software if it made it a cross-gen game, they will. KH3 and FFXV are not quite in the same boat as Dragon Quest. These two franchises have some pull in the west, where the PS4 is doing a lot stronger.

There's a really wide net (actually, the widest net) they're ignoring, so I'm trying to square their platform choices with other objectives they may have. A multiplatform release undermines one of those objectives, unless I'm missing something. And they certainly seemed to have made it their mission to convince the Japanese market to buy the PS4...

We must remember SE did release DQ7 and will be releasing DQ8 to 3DS though (and DQ4, 5 & 6 are playable on 3DS too right?)

As long as pulling Ni No Kuni doesn't mean just releasing the PS4 version in the west, fine with me.

And yes, through DS BC 4 to 6 are playable ... though at least in Europe you're having a fun time trying to find them outside of ebay/resellers/used.

Edit: And if that happens then everything falls in between would also receive ports.

DQXI is PS3/PS4/PSV at this point. 3DS will get projects that they were too far away to be moved, and a new DQM.

Philippo

I'd love for it to only be on PS4, if only for cutting ties with the past generation.
But with the current situation, it wouldn't be a very bright commercial decision...

Whenever Ni no Kuni 2 surfaces, it will be a PS4 exclusive.

Taker666

I'm kind of surprised they didn't have two teams, one working on Dragon Quest XI for3DS...and then another working on Dragon Quest XII for home console for a slightly later release.

I mean the 3DS userbase in Japan is bigger than PS3/PS4/Vita and Wii U combined...so that's a hell of a chunk of cash they could have had.

It literally broke my heart when I made the decision to not continue playing Ni No Kuni, because I disliked the combat and the music in it got annoying really quick.

I was just 5 hours in.

Honestly I think they won't even bother, the only platform that would easily work with PS3&PS4 would be WiiU and SE haven't touched WiiU since DQX
I think the next few weeks is going to be a big fuck you to all the Dragon Quest gamers on Nintendo's consoles.

Seems like it

Okay, let's play your game.

So, we'll go with three hypotheticals. I'll exclude the 3DS obviously, since it's not about that.

You have PS4 only, PS4/PS3, and PS4/PS3/Wii U. These are the current viable home consoles for Dragon Quest XI. I'd say Wii U only or Xbox, but since you're a bunch of haters...

First:

When is Dragon Quest XI releasing? You have to decide on this. We'll go with late 2016, since it'll be too difficult for you if I make it longer than that, and kind of pointless. Using this, you'll have to first get a gauge on the install bases on the consoles in question.

Now you have some data, so you should be able to get an idea of this. This is obviously important, since you need to know this before you can start making a projection on how well Dragon Quest XI could sell.

Of course, you don't know the release schedules of any upcoming titles on PS3, PS4, or Wii U over the next 17 months, so this'll affect your projection. In the case of PS4, this is quite important since you have FFXV, KH3, DQH2, and also the price cut which are all going to help in various ways, and you don't know when DQXI could hypothetically release between all that. We'll ignore the games, and I'll just tell you to do your best to factor in a price cut since that's going to happen prior to DQXI's release anyway.

Now, you might be thinking, why do I need to do all this when I know it's just going to sell less than it would on 3DS? But this is quite simple, and it has to be done. A cat could probably tell me Dragon Quest XI would sell less on PS4 only than on 3DS, but it wouldn't claim to have an informed opinion about an unannounced game, or what makes business sense, either. And if you're going to start talking about what makes sense, then you need to be able to do at least this much.

Other sales age people do it. There's that dude with the graphs and everything. They obviously put a lot of effort into what they discuss.

Now, in the case of the Wii U, you don't have any Dragon Quest titles that you can use to really make sense of what you could sell with a direct comparison. But you do have Dragon Quest Heroes on PS4. However, there's one issue you have to take into account. It's a spin-off title, and won't reflect exactly how much a mainline title on either of the three consoles could sell. But since I'm sure you're aware of this, you just need to factor in a split, and account for a percentage of error for me. I'm sure there's historical data for you based on sales of remakes, and spin-offs, and you can compare them to mainline releases, and go from there. It's not ideal, but I'm sticking to what you might have available to you. In this instance, if it was me, I wouldn't worry too much about the Wii U being affected by the platform split hurting it, because I don't believe the crossover between the two audiences would be as strong. Not to mention, you can just go to the sales split you saw with DQH, account for the mainline difference you expect, and go from there. DQ is like Fifa in Europe, and there's been plenty of successful DQ titles on the 3DS, and Wii U is going to be owned by a lot of Nintendo fans. It's not difficult.

You do have to account for PS3/PS4 since the split will matter there, and there's going to be crossover.

Now that you've done all this, you should be able to provide me three separate figures for each scenario.

And when you think about it, this is easy really, because this is the bare minimum you should be able to do based on what you have available to you via Media Create. Also, because you've not had to consider any of the following:

- Potential financial incentives
- Any assisted marketing
- Any international outlook at all
- The creative vision (because who gives a shit what they think)
- Why Dragon Quest Heroes probably exists
- Production budget, ROI
- Future plans for the title

And basically, all of the actual hard stuff when it comes to determining what makes business sense. In this instance, Dragon Quest Heroes exists for a very specific purpose, but you don't even have to worry about how successful that title was, it's ROI, and what that ultimately meant for all the parties involved. Forget DQH2 which is going to cost less, and do pretty well too.

I'll just point out one thing though. You think a Dragon Quest XI not releasing on the 3DS would mean the lowest series sales in franchise history. I'm not saying it's not releasing on the 3DS, but I'm not sure you realise just what the sales figures for some of the early title's original releases were when you don't take into account remakes etc. I've seen the figures, and although I may not have them in front of me, I'm pretty comfortable saying that in each of these three scenarios, even if the title was PS4 alone, that would not happen. So you're starting off pretty badly there.

Now consider that it might just end up releasing on 3DS for all you know, and you realise why I'm just laughing.

Because you know nothing, and that's why I find it hilarious to see a dozen posts worrying about what makes business sense when no one seems to have even made any effort, aside from "it would sell less than if it was on the 3DS".

I legit can't stop laughing. This is probably the best thread I've been in all year. Easily. I can feel the hurt from you, and I don't even know why, but it's there.

You lie....I know you know why its there.
Sales are often what people only look at (we know its very important) since thats all we can see unfortunately :(

QaaQer

sörine;171247108 said:
Worldwide though consoles are also contracting overall. Not as bad as handhelds, but there's still a sizable contraction.
r.

Naw, they're stable, hence the investment in late2013-14-15. u need to re-chk your numbers and discount the jpn market from them.

QaaQer

I'm honestly a bit lost.

At this point, given what Verendus has posted, DQXI will be on PS4 at least.

What is even the debate? That it's not going to be or that it's not a wise choice?

IMO the debate is whether anyone should bother making big budget console games aimed @ the jpn market at all post-ps3/Wii. Given the number of 3rd party home console games that have sold 1M+ in jpn this decade, I'm going with no. But hey, kudos to sq for kicking that cat 1 more time.

Rymuth

Ba0QMWf.gif

test_account

XP-39C²
Sure but you can acknowledge that and still find fault with their decision making.

Hell I'm finally sure Sony and Nintendo had a lot of reasons for the Vita and Wii U but I'm sure people on GAF probably pointed out their flaws long before their success(or lack thereof) was apparent.
Sure, i was just replying to the post saying why another platform than 3DS could be chosen =) Only time will tell how it does financially, but even then we dont have info regarding behind the scene stuff and expectations, unfortunately.

I meant that they are being paid money, in one form or another. Greasing the wheels, so to speak.

There is the possibility of RoI from other investments on the platform from this move, but this is a very large, very uncertain gamble. This also brings into discussion/question, what your sales return has to be to offset the considerably larger production values as well as lost sales potential. There's a lot of gray area here with a lot of unknowns, and plenty of things to poke holes into, lol.

Of course, Horii has been rather adamant in his stance for sometime, so I don't think this was an unforeseen conclusion for a franchise that is effectively held to the word of a single man.
Yeah, that is what i also ment :) Its the end result (financially) that matters. But as someone else mentioned, the developers' choice might also be one reason. While gaming is big business, its also important to work on something that they are motivated by (generally speaking).

Arkeband

Banned
I can't believe people actually want another DQ mainline title on a portable. It blows my mind.

Bring on DQXI on PS4. I'm ready for the series to take the next step forward after skipping the PS3 generation entirely. Give us the craziest cell-shading we've ever seen with full visibility of weapons and armor on the main cast. I want turn-based battles with wild, dynamic spell effects against whimsical-yet-creepy enemies and dark lords, set against an impeccable orchestral soundtrack.

THAT's what DQ is about. Not chibi-people in a world made out of lazy pop culture references with MMO pacing.

And what was it when DQ switched from Sony to Nintendo after DQ8?

Shauni

I think XI is going to be on PS3, PS4, and Vita. It makes perfect sense. All three platforms combined equals a large userbase and Japanese players get the option for a portable version, which perfectly suits the market. When the game comes west, it wouldn't surprise me if it's only released on PS4.

theatrhythm and DQVIII must have been really far along for them to have skipped PS systems. It makes you wonder if DQXI was originally going to be on 3DS or Wii U.

I'm still thinking it'll be 3DS, PS3 and PS4, but Vita in place of the 3DS could still make sense since the Vita has good presence overall in Japan. I don't know, though, I'm still not convinced.

xaszatm

Banned
...wow...like...wow...I don't even mind DQXI being on a non-Nintendo console (quite frankly, DQ deserves to have its XI game be on whatever the hell it wants to be) but the sheer active hate people have for the 3DS DQ games surprises me. It almost makes me want them do announce it as a 3DS exclusive (which I highly doubt) just to see the tears and "DQ IS DOOMING ITSELF! DON'T THE KNOW NINTENDO IS DOOMED!?!" hysteria that will fall out.

Like...what is with this? This screaming that Square Enix is jumping ship 100% to PS4 permanently? This insistence that all these DS DQ games were retroactively horrible? That DQIX is a piece of crap (which is weird because it's my second favorite Dragon Quest of all time after III)? What the hell is happening in this thread?

You lie....I know you know why its there.
Sales are often what people only look at (we know its very important) since thats all we can see unfortunately :(
To be fair, while we're using partial metrics to dictate what makes business sense, we could just as well look at revenue. Typically, VIII brought in more domestic revenue than IX while selling less copies.
I'm voluntarily using a metric as imperfect as revenue, that doesn't inform profitability this much when comparing games, to point out how we collectively tend to give the available information too much weight without acknowledging there's a lot of things we don't know.

...wow...like...wow...I don't even mind DQXI being on a non-Nintendo console (quite frankly, DQ deserves to have its XI game be on whatever the hell it wants to be) but the sheer active hate people have for the 3DS DQ games surprises me. It almost makes me want them do announce it as a 3DS exclusive (which I highly doubt) just to see the tears and "DQ IS DOOMING ITSELF! DON'T THE KNOW NINTENDO IS DOOMED!?!" hysteria that will fall out.

Like...what is with this? This screaming that Square Enix is jumping ship 100% to PS4 permanently? This insistence that all these DS DQ games were retroactively horrible? That DQIX is a piece of crap (which is weird because it's my second favorite Dragon Quest of all time after III)? What the hell is happening in this thread?
I've probably missed some stuff in the last few pages of console wars but from the previous pages, it seemed to me people didn't like the prospect of another portable game, not that they were hating the existing games themselves?

FStubbs

With the DQ Builders announcement, it's clearly going PS3/PS4/Vita. I'm surprised they bothered with DQ8 3DS since they're clearly moving the series back over to Sony.

Would explain the DQ7 3DS delay. Nintendo was publishing those but would have no interest in publishing the game when the series itself has gone back to Sony.

I can't believe people actually want another DQ mainline title on a portable. It blows my mind.

Bring on DQXI on PS4. I'm ready for the series to take the next step forward after skipping the PS3 generation entirely. Give us the craziest cell-shading we've ever seen with full visibility of weapons and armor on the main cast. I want turn-based battles with wild, dynamic spell effects against whimsical-yet-creepy enemies and dark lords, set against an impeccable orchestral soundtrack.

THAT's what DQ is about. Not chibi-people in a world made out of lazy pop culture references with MMO pacing.

F.ull visibility of weapons and armor on the main cast is already in DQ9.Also wild, dynamic spell effects against whimsical-yet-creepy enemies and dark lords, set against an impeccable orchestral soundtrack is not only what DQ is about , DQ's combat system is more about fast pace battle than anything so DQ8's fancy battle is actually slowest in the series . Most DQ games don't have orchestral soundtrack too......

Shauni

I'm sure some people have their minds blown that people want another DQ mainline on consoles, too. People have different opinions. And overall, this is a very silly post.

Yeah, I think DQ threads are some of the threads that shows there's a heavy bias towards console gaming here on GAF in general. And I mean, that's fine, I prefer consoles to handhelds myself, but the way people throw vile at it is really strange and dumb. People have such misplaced passions around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom