• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda at E3 to have two demos, Nintendo asking press to free up 90 minutes.

ReyVGM

"step into the wilds of Hyrule and explore some of the grasslands, forests and mountains"

Drool, forests.

Hopefully it's a densely wooded forest, not unlike the ones that have been cut from the previous games.

Galang

Banned
90 minutes? That's actually a good call. A game like this would be really hard to experience correctly in a short demo

ReyVGM

I just wanna hear the music.

Hopefully this new game direction will bring some great powerful tunes. Skyward Sword had some good dungeon tunes and other nice tracks, but overall it was kind of "safe".
Same with Twilight Princess, it had some good tracks, but the dungeon themes were really boring and most lacked a recognizable melody.

I wish they go with more daring music, like what Mario Galaxy 1 did. That game had an amazing soundtrack that didn't sound like the typical Mario style music (tropical, calypso type stuff).

I want more weird experimental tracks like the Forest temple from OoT and Lanayru Mining dungeon from Skyward Sword. And really melodic tracks like the hidden village from Twilight Princess.

Red Hood

Banned
"step into the wilds of Hyrule and explore some of the grasslands, forests and mountains"

Drool, forests.

Hopefully it's a densely wooded forest, not unlike the ones that have been cut from the previous games.

They'd better. Witcher 3 has spoiled me in that regard, the dense forests in it were amazing. I hope Nintendo can pull off something similar in terms of density. Just look at this shit.

And a few of my pics (screenshot quality isn't optimal):

witcher3_2016_02_08_17bobf.png
witcher3_2016_02_08_1ioqm3.png
witcher3_2016_01_30_03hqq2.png
witcher3_2016_02_08_1fcpos.png
witcher3_2016_02_08_18rpb7.png

watershed

Banned
I'm looking forward to this. An extended demo should really give us a good idea of all the new mechanics and how much this Zelda game is going to reinvent the Zelda formula as previously promised.

Woods so dense you can actually get lost in them.

In fact they turn off the mini-map when you're in the Lost Woods and you get no markers whatsoever to find your way.

Red Hood

Banned
toyQQ16.jpg

hQpaE3w.jpg

I'm not going to get my hopes up again.

The TGA footage does show plenty of dense-ish areas though, albeit not very good executed (which should have signalled a red flag that it wasn't even near finish and that 2015 was way too ambitious).

But that was almost two years ago, so I'm definitely expecting to see a lot more polish next month, and lots of dense, shadowy areas for dat forest feel.

Anth0ny

I just realized something

Do you think we're going to get a direct feed of the game? Or is it going to be a shot of the TV screen with the player and gamepad in the frame ala the VGA footage? Cause sometimes Nintendo has those weird rules where the player holding the gamepad has to be in a shot.

I hope not, but you never know with these guys.

SalvaPot

They are extremely confident in this game. The last time I remember seen them this confident was with Mario Kart 8 and that was the best Mario kart ever.

This has to be the best game ever to be this confident.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I just realized something

Do you think we're going to get a direct feed of the game? Or is it going to be a shot of the TV screen with the player and gamepad in the frame ala the VGA footage? Cause sometimes Nintendo has those weird rules where the player holding the gamepad has to be in a shot.

I hope not, but you never know with these guys.

I think we should get direct feed footage. This was how it was for every other E3. Sure, that one dumb segment from VGX was offscreen, but it was also VGX.

Red Hood

Banned
Don't want to get my hopes up because Miyamoto said this was a densely wooded area -_-

deRYnA0.png

I don't know what the context was of that statement, but that same TGA footage has a few moments that beg to differ. Amount of shadows seems low and they really need more tree variety (I only see two types of trees), but other than that I think it looks decent with high potential.

I suppose all we can do is wait, but I must admit I'm cautiously optimistic after all these delays. Surely they must have improved and added a lot since December 2014 Game Awards, which I wasn't very fond of, was clearly nowhere near done and it looked the part at times.

Instro

They'd better. Witcher 3 has spoiled me in that regard, the dense forests in it were amazing. I hope Nintendo can pull off something similar in terms of density. Just look at this shit.

I wouldn't expect much if they are showing the WiiU version. They might not even have that much detail on the NX, depending how much work goes into that version, but i fully expect pop-in on the WiiU to be awful like Xenoblade X so there probably won't be dense anything really.

Lilo_D

You don't really have something to do within this dense forest. It doesn't have puzzle or form a dungeon.

I prefer a good puzzle design over just a, well, nature dense forest

Red Hood

Banned
I wouldn't expect much if they are showing the WiiU version. They might not even have that much detail on the NX, depending how much work goes into that version, but i fully expect pop-in on the WiiU to be awful like Xenoblade X so there probably won't be dense anything really.

I haven't played X but from what I understood it's fucking huge though, maybe too much for its own good. I think Zelda U is going to be considerably less big and as a result maybe more dense.

You don't really have something to do within this dense forest. It doesn't have puzzle or form a dungeon.

I prefer a good puzzle design over just a, well, nature dense forest
Sure, but since they're sticking with an open world, I assume you want it to look pretty at least instead of TP's barren wasteland with nothing to do for example? Also, going from dungeon to dungeon is part of the adventure. Zelda would lose a lot of its charm if it was a hub-based game with only individual dungeons and nothing in between.

dtm808

Depends on how Nintendo program it. Monolith went for quality and scale with no loading times which required on the fly loading and rendering. With the hi-speed packs on XCX the pop-in is only bad in NLA. If Nintendo goes for a more clean look with toned down textures they could pull off the same seamless world with minimal pop-in. Time will tell.

Luigiv

I knew the game would get a long demo when Nintendo announced that they were dedicating their whole booth to it. Still 60 - 90 minutes was even longer than I was expecting (I was thinking more like 45 - 60).

HeySeuss

A demo that long makes me think the game is pretty much finished outside of bug testing and polish.

NX must've had some kind of delay to push everything back to march.

ReyVGM

To all the people worried about how the game will look. Do you actually think the game will not look miles better than the Game Awards footage from 2014?

Here are a couple of Nintendo development facts:

1) Nintendo games get their graphical upgrade and/or details added near the end of development. Remember how plain Hyrule Warriors and Mario 3D World looked when they were first shown?

2) The final Zelda game releases look a lot better than their initial reveal:

zelda-1.png

zelda-2.png

A demo that long makes me think the game is pretty much finished outside of bug testing and polish.

NX must've had some kind of delay to push everything back to march.

A game is never finished. There's always new stuff to add.
Even if their deadline was November 2016, the minute it got pushed to 2017, they continued adding new stuff (and of course, polishing, as you said).

Dice//

Banned
Something tells me if I go to E3, my demo would be a weird one where you do some cow milking mini-game for some useless NPC (but it's really a game tutorial!).

I'm mostly being silly here. Anyways, looking forward to it, hopefully see more than just fields this time.

Anth0ny

To all the people worried about how the game will look. Do you actually think the game will not look miles better than the Game Awards footage from 2014?

Here are a couple of Nintendo development facts:

1) Nintendo games get their graphical upgrade and/or details added near the end of development. Remember how plain Hyrule Warriors and Mario 3D World looked when they were first shown?

2) The final Zelda game releases look a lot better than their initial reveal:

zelda-1.png

zelda-2.png

A game is never finished. There's always new stuff to add.
Even if their deadline was November 2016, the minute it got pushed to 2017, they continued adding new stuff (and of course, polishing, as you said).

We're already at that stage with Zelda U:

V4RKMEx.png

Lilo_D

I haven't played X but from what I understood it's fucking huge though, maybe too much for its own good. I think Zelda U is going to be considerably less big and as a result maybe more dense.

Sure, but since they're sticking with an open world, I assume you want it to look pretty at least instead of TP's barren wasteland with nothing to do for example? Also, going from dungeon to dungeon is part of the adventure. Zelda would lose a lot of its charm if it was a hub-based game with only individual dungeons and nothing in between.

Actually SS did it pretty well and I much prefer this kind of design

Hard to trust Nintendo given their track record regarding spoilers. It's funny, because it's not necessarily that they spoil more, it's just that their definition of spoiler does not jive at all with my own (and many others, if this topic is any indication)

I'll still watch because I'm weak-willed

Cmagus

Curious to see the open world and the level of exploration. Dungeons I imagine will probably be the same as usual but hopefully not.

It would be cool if it had a Skyrim vibe where you could explore mini caves and dungeons throughout the world.

90 minutes is a lengthy demo hopefully it's not 30 minutes of trying to learn how to shoot your bow with the second screen.

Ansatz

X is actually not that huge because the default run speed is high and you can teleport to each hexagon sector by clicking on the gamepad screen, this eliminates alot of downtime as you go from point A to B which is crucial.

I will say X had a pretty interesting approach to its overworld structure, because you had to pass hexagon sectors containing monsters of much higher level to get to areas for your current level, it was a fun puzzle in itself planning routes and figuring out how to sneak past enemies without being noticed.

Your jump height in X is insane too, so you could use that as a tool to bypass certain parts entirely if you found ways through say a mountain and platformed over it instead of going around. So yeah there is a suprising amount of mechanical depth to the level design in X compared to Xenoblade Chronicles but there is still a complete lack of environmental interactivity which is what makes Zelda stand out from other games. EAD is about clever gameplay design, and those pictures of The Witcher 3 are vomit inducing bad. I have a difficult time calling that "level design" because there is none, it's just empty space. Like, when I look at them there are literally no ideas circulating in my head, my reaction is completely flat and non existant. Show me an outdoors part of Skyward or ALBW and my mind will immediately begin to think about all the gameplay possibilities and potential secrets. I get nothing out of a game like The Witcher, no enjoyment or stimulation what so ever. There's nothing for your brain to process besides superficial presentation elements and I don't care about those things.

I see someone joked that the game will adopt that tower open world design of Ubisoft. I am thinking if Nintendo could expand this approach by giving each tower a puzzle to solve so that the approach to open up the map does not follow the same formula every time. Would you be ok with this design?

Mediking

X is actually not that huge because the default run speed is high and you can teleport to each hexagon sector by clicking on the gamepad screen, this eliminates alot of downtime as you go from point A to B which is crucial.

I will say X had a pretty interesting approach to its overworld structure, because you had to pass hexagon sectors containing monsters of much higher level to get to areas for your current level, it was a fun puzzle in itself planning routes and figuring out how to sneak past enemies without being noticed.

Your jump height in X is insane too, so you could use that as a tool to bypass certain parts entirely if you found ways through say a mountain and platformed over it instead of going around. So yeah there is a suprising amount of mechanical depth to the level design in X compared to Xenoblade Chronicles but there is still a complete lack of environmental interactivity which is what makes Zelda stand out from other games. EAD is about clever gameplay design, and those pictures of The Witcher 3 are vomit inducing bad. I have a difficult time calling that "level design" because there is none, it's just empty space. Like, when I look at them there are literally no ideas circulating in my head, my reaction is completely flat and non existant. Show me an outdoors part of Skyward or ALBW and my mind will immediately begin to think about all the gameplay possibilities and potential secrets. I get nothing out of a game like The Witcher, no enjoyment or stimulation what so ever. There's nothing for your brain to process besides superficial presentation elements.

Wait.... XCX was my most anticipated game of all time but it's disappointing in the role playing department. I was hoping for a JRPG space opera version of Mass Effect except better. I love the stimulation and regions in W3. I actually felt important in that game. I actually want Zelda to take notes from Witcher and not XCX.

Instro

Your jump height in X is insane too, so you could use that as a tool to bypass certain parts entirely if you found ways through say a mountain and platformed over it instead of going around. So yeah there is a suprising amount of mechanical depth to the level design in X compared to Xenoblade Chronicles but there is still a complete lack of environmental interactivity which is what makes Zelda stand out from other games. EAD is about clever gameplay design, and those pictures of The Witcher 3 are vomit inducing bad. I have a difficult time calling that "level design" because there is none, it's just empty space. Like, when I look at them there are literally no ideas circulating in my head, my reaction is completely flat and non existant. Show me an outdoors part of Skyward or ALBW and my mind will immediately begin to think about all the gameplay possibilities and potential secrets. I get nothing out of a game like The Witcher, no enjoyment or stimulation what so ever. There's nothing for your brain to process besides superficial presentation elements and I don't care about those things.

How deep down the Nintendo rabbit hole do you have to be to think like this?

Curious to see the open world and the level of exploration. Dungeons I imagine will probably be the same as usual but hopefully not.

It would be cool if it had a Skyrim vibe where you could explore mini caves and dungeons throughout the world.

90 minutes is a lengthy demo hopefully it's not 30 minutes of trying to learn how to shoot your bow with the second screen.

Please no. I'm fine with random caves and stuff, but dungeons need to be properly designed as levels, not crappy, underdesigned areas like those in Bethesda game. If I wanted that I'd play something from them.

Yeah no, go play Witcher3 before talking such inane rubbish. The World Map is amazing to Traverse and like with XCX it has high level Mobs en Route to your Destination. Following a road is safe but slow, going Cross Country is dangerous and provides a huge Challenge in terms of Navigation since there are many unscalable Cliffs and a good Deal of verticality.

If Zelda U is only half as effective in it's open world Design As the Witcher 3 we're in for a treat.

takriel

Guys I'm getting hyped. Not long now!

Finally, after 5 fucking years (again, dammit!), a new console Zelda will be shown!

Yeah no, go play Witcher3 before talking such inane rubbish. The World Map is amazing to Traverse and like with XCX it has high level Mobs en Route to your Destination. Following a road is safe but slow, going Cross Country is dangerous and provides a huge Challenge in terms of Navigation since there are many unscalable Cliffs and a good Deal of verticality.

If Zelda U is only half as effective in it's open world Design As the Witcher 3 we're in for a treat.

Yeah, no, think of what Zelda is bwfore comparing it with the Witcher 3. There is one thing what is completly different and that is the usw of special items to get to a point you couldn't resch before. If in Wir there is a cliff you can not climb or get down or a mountain...you never can in the game because you can't interact with the world like you do in Zelda games and there is the problem for the next Zelda. I think it will never look natural because you have to design it in a way, everybody sees how he will get over that cliff with a special item and don't run around for hours absolutly clueless.

Top Bottom