• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn #meToo / Alec Holowka suicide -- Update: Article questions ZQ's account of events (link in OP)

Mihos

Gold Member
Fuck me, Ryan O’donell, the man behind the beloved 1up show that solidified my interest in games is Woke!

If I were a sociopath I’d by rubbing my mitts knowing that a one sided anecdote (not even a chance for a rebuttal) being enough to de-person someone...

In what way am I qualified for that job....

If only there were professionals who did things, like investigate crimes for a living.

Oh fuck it. Well, Quinn's allegations seem to be blowing up in the media, again.Already the kind of shit-talking we're doing here is being framed as baseless misogyny at least according to Salon. I tried to write that last post in as charitable a way as I possibly could but it will never work. Anyway it turns out this board is a lot more anything goes than I initially thought so here's a police document Zoe Quinn filed against her ex-boyfriend. I mentioned it above:

cfrzoQq.png

Of course all pertinent contact information has been censored and it's legal to post. If any moderators have a problem with this I'll delete it. I just wanted to post it to show two things: 1. That's Zoe Quinn's real name. It's actually Chelsea Van Valkenburg and 2: Her birthday: September 4th, 1987.

Why do I bring this up? Zoe Quinn says her birthday is on August 13, 1987. She even celebrates this on twitter even up to August 13 this year... Everything Chelsea has ever said is likely a lie. Really, every single thing. This woman has a history of lying about everything in her entire existence. Zoe Quinn isn't even real, Chelsea's entire Zoe persona is a a fiction.

I think I'm more addressing this to anyone who might be reading this from outside Gaf, maybe even someone from ResetEra. Please listen, do not trust this person. This is (well for me anyway) not about claims of sexual abuse nor is this about the other allegations against Jeremy Soule - I don't know anything about the accuser and for all I know it could well be true. This is not about gamergate - that whole thing is long dead and needs to be buried. This is specifically about the fact that you people are believing the word of someone who is not trust-worthy, whose every word be it written or spoken is likely an outright lie.

It's clear that the hive-mind of this board has some views on #MeToo, sexual assault and twitter allegations which you might vehemently disagree with and that's entirely your right if you disagree. I'm not arguing with that. But the reason why everyone is treating this with such derision is because we've been here before. We've witnessed the same song and dance over and over and over again since she first became a hot-topic issue in late 2014.

I'm not saying that Zoe.... fuck it, Chelsea wasn't sexually abused by Alec Holowka at some point. But all you guys are going on is her word. And as someone who's watched this whole charade for a while now, I wouldn't believe a single thing she says. Please, if anyone's lurking from ResetEra, please listen. Don't trust this person. It doesn't matter what politics you have or if you're a feminist or have been sexually harassed/abused or anything else. Just don't trust Chelsea whatever you do.

Actually I just properly read through that Salon piece I posted at the start. I'm not posting the link again to give them anymore clicks but here's an extract:

"It's easy to dismiss all this as the jabberings of misogynists — which it absolutely is — but the sad truth is that these particular misogynists are reflecting a more broadly-held notion, which is that a woman who makes multiple accusations is probably a liar. Call it the Highlander Theory of abuse: For any given victim, there can only be one man who has ever hurt them."

"...the Highlander Theory of abuse..."

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

85Pxq8f.jpg

Fuck me sideways...

To paraphrase Norm MacDonald, people whose job it is to write about how underrated Buffy the Vampire Slayer is really shouldn't be writing about sexual abuse victims. What an utterly shit metaphor. Way to go Salon, every time I now hear about someone's who's been sexually abused multiple times I'm going to be thinking about Highlander. And I'm going to start giggling.

StormCell

All of this is certainly eye opening regarding her original name and stuff. I wonder what motivated her to create a new persona? Is she possibly in witness protection or anything? Is it normal for someone in her role to have a public persona while keeping their real name/details completely hidden? I mean, do her employers and team mates know her by her real name, or are they legally required to address her by her preferred persona and pronouns??

Either way, I'll never claim to know enough to judge any of her accusations. I find it sort of suspect given the whole context, but each accusation must be judged by its own merits and evidence.

iconmaster

Banned
I mean, do her employers and team mates know her by her real name, or are they legally required to address her by her preferred persona and pronouns??

At my first job, one of the employees was nicknamed "Anchovy." I think only the boss knew his real name, and he was careful never to reveal it.

dolabla

Her wiki page:

Quinn, who uses the gender neutral pronoun "they", developed the interactive fiction game Depression Quest, which was released in 2013

Quinn was born in 1987 and was raised in a small town near the Adirondack Mountains in New York.[2] Growing up, Quinn often played video games. A favorite of theirs was Commander Keen, an MS-DOS game featuring an eight-year-old protagonist who builds a spaceship with items found around his house and then travels the Galaxy defending the Earth. As a teenager, they suffered from depression and was diagnosed with the condition at the age of 14. They have described receiving little sympathy or assistance from school district officials who Quinn says were "less than understanding about teens with depression and suicide issues".[3]

At the age of 24, Quinn moved to Canada and made their first foray into video game programming. Their first game was the result of a six-week course on video game creation that they attended after seeing an advertisement in a newspaper. In a later interview for The New Yorker, they said, "I felt like I'd found my calling."[3]

Last edited:

manfestival

I often hear that men, in general, will fuck anything. I'm pretty sure I've even had it implied to me that... I should be willing to fuck anything... by women that were a hard pass for me.
I think it depends on time, mood, and motive(desperation is a big one). Soy boys are basically bottom feeders though. They may inherently deny their motives but they are only fooling themselves. The most beta of attempts to cross the same finish line in a "shorter" race if you will.

Why does it matter in this thread?
Clearly, she was hot enough to have plenty of sexual partners.
There is no actual correlation there. There is such an extremely small populace that this would not apply to that it is not even worth bringing up. Zoe isn't hot probably by most people's standards. Not sexually attractive to me either.

Last edited:
All of this is certainly eye opening regarding her original name and stuff. I wonder what motivated her to create a new persona? Is she possibly in witness protection or anything? Is it normal for someone in her role to have a public persona while keeping their real name/details completely hidden? I mean, do her employers and team mates know her by her real name, or are they legally required to address her by her preferred persona and pronouns??

Either way, I'll never claim to know enough to judge any of her accusations. I find it sort of suspect given the whole context, but each accusation must be judged by its own merits and evidence.

I highly doubt it's witness protection. For one thing that police document was filed in 2014 long after she had started using the name Zoe Quinn. I think she's legally changed it since but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Look, there's a real issue when discussing Chelsea which has been bought up a lot ever since the Zoe Post first dropped. A lot of people recognise her behaviour as being airily akin to well, a type of mental disorder. Now I would not be so bold to spectulate on such on a claim, that would be rude, armchair psycho-analysing someone I don't know. So I'll just say what everyone else has been saying since day 1. It's cluster B personality disorder, most likely Borderline. Her behaviour as documented in that post and pretty much everything she's done since checks every single box.

But you see the problem with that is that shortly after Eron posted his spergy break-up letter to the world ,and 4chan discovered it and started fucking with her, Zoe responded with a rather famous post called, "I Will Not Negotiate With Terrorists." In it she detailed how all of the shit that had been flung at her by the internet was all because she was a woman in male-dominated space (I think that's the exact wording she used too) and that the entire thing was misogynistic.

Now to get this out of the way, trolls tend to personalise their insults to your specific personality. If someone's, say, a very, vocal and public feminist who even un-ironically refers to themselves as an SJW then the sort of insults they'd hurl at you would probably be suited for that person and would thus would likely be incredibly misogynistic and sexist. But that's missing the point too, people were angry about Chelsea for a variety of different reasons (including some not in the Zoe post - several other people posted lengthy call-outs about her behaviour in Eron's wake.) Some of those reasons, well one of those reasons, turned out to be partially bullshit (the sex for reviews claim but that's another topic as to what did and didn't happen and why it's still repeated ad nauseam by idiots to this day) but a lot of them were quite true.

Chelsea's response however was believed by 'woke' twitter (and then by feminist blogs, and then by mainstream news sources citing those blogs) although it wasn't called woke twitter back then people were just calling them SJWs and feminists. And when you invoke feminism there's an entire language that has been developed over the years on the internet, in order to seemingly protect women from sexist mistreatment. For instance: sea-lioning, Bad Faith (which I swear just sounds like the name of 90s nu-metal band) and being an armchair psychologist.

The irony with Chelsea is of course that she's able to essentially hide her bad behaviour by invoking this stuff. She basically managed to turn an entire language used to, in theory, protect women from trolls on the internet and turn on its head, revealing to a bunch of dumb-ass 4channers how easy that language is to manipulate and how it can be used to defend someone who is really undeserving of such treatment.

But the real irony is that anyone trying to tell someone what Quinn's really like, at least on the internet; tries to tell someone that Quinn might have BPD they're labelled as an armchair psychologist. And they're right. I don't know Zoe Quinn, I've never met her. It's true I'm analysing all this based on a person I've never met. Unfortunately I think it explains everything about her behaviour. There is no other conceivable explanation.

Seriously, look up Borderline Personality Disorder and the symptoms, I'm no expert but it explains everything Chelsea's ever done and will continue doing until she properly seeks professional help.

But I am totally being an armchair psychologist right now.

Last edited:

Pidull

Maybe Zoe is being truthful, and she just has a habit of picking shitty men, thus fulfilling the prophecy of "feminists" that don't actually want well-adjusted guys, they would rather slather all over bad boy dick and complain every time it goes south. Their repeated inability to learn isn't the problem, "all men" are the problem.

Not saying this would forgive the assaulters if true, they are still shit-tier people, just that if the same bad things keep happening to you, maybe you're a part of the problem. This also applies to the accuser of Jeremy Soule, who just happens to have the absolute worst luck with their jobs.

Last edited:

StormCell

I highly doubt it's witness protection. For one thing that police document was filed in 2014 long after she had started using the name Zoe Quinn. I think she's legally changed it since but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Look, there's a real issue when discussing Chelsea which has been bought up a lot ever since the Zoe Post first dropped. A lot of people recognise her behaviour as being airily akin to well, a type of mental disorder. Now I would not be so bold to spectulate on such on a claim, that would be rude, armchair psycho-analysing someone I don't know. So I'll just say what everyone else has been saying since day 1. It's cluster B personality disorder, most likely Borderline. Her behaviour as documented in that post and pretty much everything she's done since checks every single box.

But you see the problem with that is that shortly after Eron posted his spergy break-up letter to the world ,and 4chan discovered it and started fucking with her, Zoe responded with a rather famous post called, "I Will Not Negotiate With Terrorists." In it she detailed how all of the shit that had been flung at her by the internet was all because she was a woman in male-dominated space (I think that's the exact wording she used too) and that the entire thing was misogynistic.

Now to get this out of the way, trolls tend to personalise their insults to your specific personality. If someone's, say, a very, vocal and public feminist who even un-ironically refers to themselves as an SJW then the sort of insults they'd hurl at you would probably be suited for that person and would thus would likely be incredibly misogynistic and sexist. But that's missing the point too, people were angry about Chelsea for a variety of different reasons (including some not in the Zoe post - several other people posted lengthy call-outs about her behaviour in Eron's wake.) Some of those reasons, well one of those reasons, turned out to be partially bullshit (the sex for reviews claim but that's another topic as to what did and didn't happen and why it's still repeated ad nauseam by idiots to this day) but a lot of them were quite true.

Chelsea's response however was believed by 'woke' twitter (and then by feminist blogs, and then by mainstream news sources citing those blogs) although it wasn't called woke twitter back then people were just calling them SJWs and feminists. And when you invoke feminism there's an entire language that has been developed over the years on the internet, in order to seemingly protect women from sexist mistreatment. For instance: sea-lioning, Bad Faith (which I swear just sounds like the name of 90s nu-metal band) and being an armchair psychologist.

The irony with Chelsea is of course that she's able to essentially hide her bad behaviour by invoking this stuff. She basically managed to turn an entire language used to, in theory, protect women from trolls on the internet and turn on its head, revealing to a bunch of dumb-ass 4channers how easy that language is to manipulate and how it can be used to defend someone who is really undeserving of such treatment.

But the real irony is that anyone trying to tell someone what Quinn's really like, at least on the internet; tries to tell someone that Quinn might have BPD they're labelled as an armchair psychologist. And they're right. I don't know Zoe Quinn, I've never met her. It's true I'm analysing all this based on a person I've never met. Unfortunately I think it explains everything about her behaviour. There is no other conceivable explanation.

Seriously, look up Borderline Personality Disorder and the symptoms, I'm no expert but it explains everything Chelsea's ever done and will continue doing until she properly seeks professional help.

But I am totally being an armchair psychologist right now.

There's still one more fly in the ointment for me. Even with all of this to take into context, which I lean towards agreeing with you on, it seems like her coworkers are in agreement with her claims. The thing that you or I would look to, and I'm making an assumption about you being an upstanding person, the thing that we would look to in a situation like this, where someone places us in the crosshairs for creepish or abusive behavior, is the support of our peers. Think about the character that is Zoe Quinn--are her co-workers springing to her support due to peer pressure or fear, or do they genuinely have her back because she built a good working relationship with them? And what about Alec? Are these people that he worked with just willing to burn bridges with him regardless of the friendships that may have been made? You know what I mean?

I'm calling into question the character of Alec Holowka as well as Zoe Quinn. They believed her accusation so willingly as to cut ties with Alec and postpone a physical release. Of course, they'll go forward with that release and make the money, but it still makes me wonder how they would be so willing to throw a team member under a bus like that. Publicly. I can imagine people doing it to someone they don't like for reasons (could be political, or maybe the guy is the stereotypical creative asshole). You'd still have to like the person making the accusations as opposed to the BPD type that you're describing where typically people assess you from a distance and tread carefully.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's so sad seeing something once worthy and pure like Wikipedia falling for that "pronoun" bullshit.
I'm so confused, is she even transgender? She's clearly a woman passing herself off as a woman, so why are they going by "they"?

I'm so confused, is she even transgender? She's clearly a woman passing herself off as a woman, so why are they going by "they"?

Because they are fucking crazy and an attention whore. They are also irrelevant as fuck and they need any way they have to stay on topic. They know that they will treat you like a holy martyr saint for being a they so they do it knowing full well that they will eat that shit up.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Because they are fucking crazy and an attention whore. They are also irrelevant as fuck and they need any way they have to stay on topic. They know that they will treat you like a holy martyr saint for being a they so they do it knowing full well that they will eat that shit up.
Hello

She's clearly mentally unstable, and a textbook narcissist starving for attention. The fact that NOBODY in the mainstream media covers her Kickstarter scam blows my mind.

Meesh

?

Pointing fingers is literally her work. That is what she does.
Can you point me to any actual game she has worked on in the last decade and actually finished?
Any evidence of gainful employment in the industry at all outside of pointing fingers?
Clearly you know more about her than I do, not sure if I should applaud or pity you for paying that much attention to her lol!! Duly noted however 😉

Achelexus

There's still one more fly in the ointment for me. Even with all of this to take into context, which I lean towards agreeing with you on, it seems like her coworkers are in agreement with her claims. The thing that you or I would look to, and I'm making an assumption about you being an upstanding person, the thing that we would look to in a situation like this, where someone places us in the crosshairs for creepish or abusive behavior, is the support of our peers. Think about the character that is Zoe Quinn--are her co-workers springing to her support due to peer pressure or fear, or do they genuinely have her back because she built a good working relationship with them? And what about Alec? Are these people that he worked with just willing to burn bridges with him regardless of the friendships that may have been made? You know what I mean?

I'm calling into question the character of Alec Holowka as well as Zoe Quinn. They believed her accusation so willingly as to cut ties with Alec and postpone a physical release. Of course, they'll go forward with that release and make the money, but it still makes me wonder how they would be so willing to throw a team member under a bus like that. Publicly. I can imagine people doing it to someone they don't like for reasons (could be political, or maybe the guy is the stereotypical creative asshole). You'd still have to like the person making the accusations as opposed to the BPD type that you're describing where typically people assess you from a distance and tread carefully.

Honestly, companies that don't defend their employees from hate mobs probably aren't good companies to begin with.

but it still makes me wonder how they would be so willing to throw a team member under a bus like that. Publicly.
Not assuming i'm correct i don't know any of these people but one reason could be money. If they thought him being outed in public like this (guilty or not) could have an impact on their game and future sales they may have went with the strategy of just getting rid of him, team member or not.

Again that's just an example of why i think they could have done it.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Those Alexis Kennedy accusations sound like utter nonsesne. All they say is that he had some relationships with women who he worked with (consensual ones) and then once they ended the women felt he wasn't as nice to them as before. I mean..wtf?

This nonsense is why I don't give a fuck about meetoo anymore. Same with movies. Just recently people were once again shitting on Nate Parker, a guy who was deemed innocent by a damn court, just becasuse he didn't feel particularly sorry when the woman who accused him wronglydied.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
rvfMUis.jpg

It's always the GAF guy. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And what the fuck does believe survivors really mean? There's like 7 billion plus of us "survivors" currently but we're dying all the time. I guess believe everybody?

I don't mind being the only rational person in the room, but it's a little disconcerting to see all this cult-like behavior on social media lately.

This is why I deleted all of my social media, especially the hate-platform Twitter.

Nothing but a bunch of screeching assholes, who's opinions are usually found on a scale between vomit and shit.
I never had Twitter, now I only use Facebook for messenger (the are people you can only reach through this now a days), deleted tons of posts, unfollowed everyone in my list, left all goups, etc.

However I'm not sure how I could do without my Google account 🤮.

You only "believe" your wife and kids. Otherwise, all belief is a sign of distrust.

Anyone you respect is one you also assume can back up claims. Anyone you "believe" or place blind faith in is an entity you don't expect evidence from. Religion is a matter of faith. You don't seek evidence. Treating other people like this is dangerous. People are real, failed beings.

If you just "believe" then you think they're lying but won't shame them by saying so. It's an abusive, codependent relationship between strangers on a large scale.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If any of these guys are innocent I hope they sue everyone and just watch the world burn and go scorched earth.

Even if they don’t win, make everyone’s lives miserable for trying to destroy theirs.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
And the sad thing is even if these girls exaggerated this and these assaults didn’t happen for whatever reason they chose to do so, they won’t feel bad about doing it, because in their minds and the minds of many others in the game industry, men are evil(especially straight white men) so if their lives were ruined for no reason, it’s “no big deal, deal with it, you’ve had enough male privilege already.”

I’m not saying that is or isn’t happening in these specific cases, but there is a growing cult of people who just want white straight men wiped off the earth, because they blame them for being losers, broke, depressed, single, and whatever else they’re dealing with, because it’s easier to do that than take responsibility and put in the effort to changing your life.

Last edited:

nightfly

Night in the Woods designer and Infinite Ammo co-founder Alec Holowka has been accused of abuse and sexual assault by independent game developer, author, and comics writer Zoë Quinn. Quinn said in a Twitter post on late Monday night that Holowka isolated them for a month in Winnipeg, Canada, where he sexually assaulted and used abusive language against Quinn.

On Wednesday, the other developers behind Night in the Woods said they were cutting ties with Holowka and canceling an in-development project, among other changes at the studio.
Fuck these SJW greedy pieces of shit assholes! Just a few alleged tweets is all it takes to take someone down? WTF kind of twilight zone are we living in?

Top Bottom