• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi - Pure Survival Horror is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC [ZombiU Port]

Kouriozan

the ps4 version in the eurogamer video shows its missing some texture mapping and shadowing as well. not a deal breaker but still disappointing
Not surprised as it's a quick cash-in port.
Still sad Ubisoft think this IP isn't worth it to support more.

tusken77

How does the WiiU/PS4 controller's built in speaker improve the game? Is it more immersive (eg its for things like phone calls from people in the game)?

Yeah, it's the same as hearing your phone calls/police radio chatter in GTAV and the motion tracker in Alien Isolation through the DS4 speaker. It's a neat touch.

Curious drop in detail in the first zombie's "John Doe" shirt.

LVTZbnW.jpg

Otherwise it looks like a pretty solid transition to me from a technical perspective. Higher resolution textures are welcome, everything else looks intact.

I'm not sure whether expanding the field of view is necessarily better though, or dropping the dirty lens filter, or what looks like brighter environments. One of my favourite things about ZombiU was how difficult it made seeing things sometimes, and you had to rely on the map, or the sounds around you. The flashlight was essential most of the time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The most obvious change is how much they increased brightness.In areas where a flashlight were needed on the Wii U they are now no light needed

This surprised me too. It's a horror survival, darkness is a part of it. Use flashlight, get scared, turn on the lights in your room. What's with this brightness now? Do you play as a cat?

trixx

Game definitely looks better on the ps4/xbone. Not sure if I like it being brighter and bigger fov though. I also prefer seeing everything on gamepad

Maxrunner

Game definitely looks better on the ps4/xbone. Not sure if I like it being brighter and bigger fov thouugh. Kinda also like seeing everything on gamepad

Nothing special it should have been 1000x better considering the silicon difference between the consoles, and i do like the wiiu filters better....

Anung

Un Rama
This game is the definition of a lazy port...but I don't know. I'm just happy that more people are going to get a chance to actually play it in some capacity. Shame it won't be in the best possible light.

TheMoon

Nothing special it should have been 1000x better considering the silicon difference between the consoles, and i do like the wiiu filters better....

It's not magic, if they don't redo assets or throw in new code for fancier lighting/effects tech it wouldn't look better on a machine made 10 years from now either.

Sucks that it turns out to be a lazy port. I loved the game on Wii U, warts and all, and was hoping the series would find a new home on ps/bone.

Oh well...one and done cult classic confirmed I suppose.

knerl

Sucks that it turns out to be a lazy port. I loved the game on Wii U, warts and all, and was hoping the series would find a new home on ps/bone.

Oh well...one and done cult classic confirmed I suppose.

While it might be a lazy port we still get some improvements over the original. The controls are more responsive, we get a much higher resolution and framerate(?), wider FOV, ability to hold the flashlight at different heights, removal of the darkened corners and no more exaggerated smudge filters. Now I can finally play this for an extended period of time with a more comfortable controller without having to charge another certain gamepad every two hours.

Still. Where is the damn PC-version? Official release date for all three platforms. Nothing on Uplay or Steam.

Wider FOV does not feel like an improvement. That brightness and minimap suck out a lot of the atmosphere as well. :I
RIP bokeh. I actually really liked it in this game, even if it doesn't technically make sense. It's actually inconsistent considering they kept the chromatic aberration, lol.

owlbeak

Was excited for this since I don't own a WiiU, but it seems to not be so great? Haven't read hardly any positive impressions of this port. :(

knerl

Wider FOV does not feel like an improvement. That brightness and minimap suck out a lot of the atmosphere as well. :I
RIP bokeh. I actually really liked it in this game, even if it doesn't technically make sense. It's actually inconsistent considering they kept the chromatic aberration, lol.

The brightness is adjustable?

Fury451

Banned
Was excited for this since I don't own a WiiU, but it seems to not be so great? Haven't read hardly any positive impressions of this port. :(

My general takeaway is that it's somewhat adequate if you haven't played it, but ultimately inferior.

I may get it on sale because I've always heard good things, but it seems like Ubi kind of Ubi'd this one hard.

Joriaan

Neo Member
Yeah, definitely not digging the visual overhaul, if one can call it that. I'd rather have fancy-schmancy effects and lighting than upgraded textures any day of the week, though I know that's an unpopular opinion. I'm also disappointed that this seems to be the millionth time Ubi half-asses something, even though they seem to have more money than god and can certainly afford to make this a vastly improved port. Improved FOV looks great though, but I guess I'm gonna get this on WiiU then eventually (though I first have to buy a WiiU, but whatever).

bosseye

Never played the WiiU version so I shall be judging this on its own merits rather than as a comparison to a potentially superior WiiU version. I'm just glad to get the opportunity to play it really, I almost bought a WiiU just for this (but didn't) and resigned myself to it being one of those games I will unlikely ever play. I'm glad I'll get to experience it in some form.

Anung

Un Rama

I'd say my impressions are positive. Don't get me wrong its an inferior port in a lot of ways but I love this game and being able to play it again on a pad is nice.

If you have a Wii U its six quid so buy it. If you don't think you'll ever get one and like survival horror experiences grab it.

GulAtiCa

To my understanding, they left it out. You cannot find any killed friends. Almost everything that made this game unique has been stripped off.
Seriously? They took that of all things out? I really hope it's in, and no one has seen a friend Zombie yet. Cause that part was awesome!

Has anyone noticed how they changed the position of the camera? It was more zoomed in in the Wii U version.

Yeah, the field of view has been increased, which I think is a mistake, as it makes you feel less vulnerable and will likely make taking on three zombis at once easier. On ZombiU you could only really see one at a time.

I suspect the FOV was increased because the map takes up a large amount of space on-screen.

Jito

Banned
Pretty tempted by this but not when it's 22 GB, I'll wait for more impressions before diving in again. It was pretty fun on the Wii U but I didn't really enjoy playing it on the gamepad.

Is this going to be the OT for the re-release?

Exile20

Was probably a under small side team doing the work, just shoved out there to make a few bucks back...

Which is a shame, it's a fun game and yes, it deserves better.

We still have the Wii U version.

Eurogamer video really did not do the port any favors. Sure they fixed a few textures here and there like a low res warning sign and threw some additional blood decals in some spots but its basically the same but running worse. The most obvious change is how much they increased brightness.In areas where a flashlight were needed on the Wii U they are now no light needed

WHAT?!?! No way I am double dipping now. Screw that. That means the heart pounding areas are going to be tame.

Unless you've actually played both the original and this port stop calling it busted. Got a good review over at gamersyde for example. Highlighted more pros than cons in any case.
I bought it and I am going to play it but I'm not gonna pretend it's good just because of that.

Top Bottom