• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drayco21

I think I'm making decent enough progress on this.

Game 9- Persona 3: FES (PS3 via PS2 Classics)- 142 Hours
What a great goddamn video game. Loved Persona 4, so I went back to play through 3, and while the gameplay isn't as refined, the characters and story are so memorable and fantastic. Spent way more time than was necessary trying to get great Personas and max as many S-Links as possible, ended up only a few levels away from fusing Messiah for my first playthrough, and still managed to curb the final boss without much effort. I'll probably come back to this at a later date- but for now, I can play through my copy of Persona 4 Arena to the fullest no longer wanting to stop to avoid spoilers.

Game 10- Binary Domain (PS3)- 8 Hours
I didn't know what to expect from this game going in, but gave it a shot because it was free through Plus, and I actually think it was excellent. The gunplay felt really good, the enemy dismemberment was really fun, but above that, the story and characters were actually excellent. I don't find myself wanting to go out and purchase games I've finished on plus often, but this is an exception- great, great game.

Game 11- Persona 4: Arena (PS3) - 20 Hours
Played through everyone's story mode, Arena's a pretty good fighting game in and of itself, but the plot stuff is the real draw for me, and it was satisfactory. I think it was too repetitive with too many characters going through too many of the same basic motions, especially early on in their stories, but ultimately worth the playthrough, I look forward to Ultimax.

Game 12- Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita)- 6-7 Hours
Picked up a Vita after a year of accumulating Plus games for it, and don't regret it in the slightest. First game I finished was Golden Abyss, and it was solid. The platforming is weirdly awful, even for Uncharted- Drake gets stuck on shit all the time and just locks up and won't move, it's really weird. The shooting took a little bit to get used to- didn't feel as precise as the console games. Overall, it was still really entertaining, but it lacked that Naughty Dog polish.

Game 2: Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - 15 hours, 22 mins
I had been meaning to finish this game for a long time and just never got around to it. I started it and got most of the way through back when it was new and then just...stopped. I'm glad I finished it though. It was a tremendous experience with that good ol' Blizzard polish. It never fails. They know their shit and know how to make me want to come back for more. I'm glad I have the expansion and will most likely start on that next.

Main post updated

oggob

| MY COMPLETE LIST |

Completion #07 : Game #11 : Stick It To The Man (Vita | ~7hrs | Trophies - 100%)
Completion #09 : Game #14 : Stick It To The Man (PS3 | ~6hrs | Trophies - 100%)
Completion #11 : Game #26 : Stick It To The Man (PS4 | ~3hrs | Trophies - 100%)

And done... wow, for some reason I didn't think it would be as short as it is and I am not sure how I formed that thought in the first place.

Anyway, the game is abit of fun, with the NPC characters taking center stage, seeing what amusing lines are floating through their head. This is where the game is also at its' best, the puzzles. Nothing taxing, just fun simple puzzles.

The stealth element is there to break up the collecting but also to increase the level sizes, this was the only part that I wasn't all that fond off, although the enemies have patterns, you don't know what they are until they begin to chase, it just started to not be fun hitting a 'enemy section'.

The hand mechanic worked most of the time, the only time it has trouble working is when the item or grab option is close to the edge of the screen. I also received a glitch in the final level that had me confused for a while, I had collected an item, the game knew I had it as it was in the inventory, I couldn't go back to get it again, but it couldn't be used where it was needed, had to restart the level and it was fine after that.

Couple of the trophies were tricky, but nothing troublesome here an easy 100%, which I will get again as I will play though the PS3 in the near future.

I could certainly dig a sequel, but the puzzle elements would need to be deeper, the game alot longer and some tightening of the platforming.

Rubius

Game 9 - Orcs must die 2.
I liked the first game, and I enjoyed this one too, but it does feel really coop focus compared to the first one. Kinda easier too. By the end I spammed Archers and wall arrow traps and I won easily on the last levels. Shotgun is pro too. Would recommend if you can get a friend to play with you.
1024x575.resizedimage

Yasawas

Game 26: Ace Attorney Apollo Justice

This game is so much better than people give it credit for. Highly enjoyed. Can't wait to play AA5.

Yep, playing this on the train the last week or so and I'm really enjoying it. Do me a favour and confirm that they don't have a lot of the fingerprinting minigame in there though please, I've done it once do far and there's no way I can do all that blowing in public without attracting scorn.

This seems like a great place for my first NeoGAF post.

I only consider myself to have completed a game when all achievements are done. With that in mind here's my list so far this year.

Game 1: Need For Speed Rivals (X1) - 20 - 30 Hours
Really loved the first playthrough of this. The best NFS since Hot Pursuit. Got very tedious playing through it twice more with both the cops and racers for the achievements.

Game 2: Forza Motorsport 5 (X1) - God knows? Above 100 hours.
Great game but lack of tracks let it down. If you want to finish it I suggest snapping a TV program as you play.

Game 3: Tomb Raider (X360) - 25 hours
Really loved this one. One of the best I've played in a while. So good I'm playing the definitive edition at the moment.

Game 4: Lococycle (X1) - 5 hours
I didn't think this deserved the hate it got. Yes it's short and yes it isn't the best looking game but it was fun for me at least.

Game 5: CSI: Deadly Intent (X360) - 8 hours
Shit

Game 6: CSI: Hard Evidence (X360) - 5 hours
Shitter

Game 7: Minecraft (X360) - Played probably 30 hours
Loved Minecraft since it was released. Finally decided to finish it. It wont be the last time I play it though as you can't technically 'finish a game like this.

Game 8:Contrast (X360) - 6 hours
Fun game with bad controls.

Game 9: The Maw (X360) - 8 hours including dlc
Really cool game. Probably the best Twisted Pixel game I've played.

Game 10: The Simpsons Arcade (X360) - 5 hours
Played through this in co-op and it was pretty good. They used to have the cabinet at my local arcade when I was a kid so lots of nostalgia as I played through it.

Game 11: Rocket Riot (WP) - Honestly don't know.
Fun game. Loved the music. perfect when out and about.

Game 12: Women's Murder Club (WP) - 2 hours
Bad!!!

I have a few games where I've finished the campaign but not the achievements. Hopefully they can be added to the list soon.

Asparagus

Game 1: The House of the Dead- 1 hour 30 minutes
Not as good as the sequel but it's fun.

Game 2: The House of the Dead: Overkill- 3 hours
It's harder at the start when you only have the stock handgun. Fun though, the story's mental.

Game 3: Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm- 33 hour 7 minutes
Gameplay was great, recruiting players was fun, the final chapter did not need to exist and really dragged things out.

Game 4: Spelunky- 15 hours
Still doing the daily challenges. I need more people to compete against though.

Game 5: Final Fantasy: All the Bravest- 2 hours 30 minutes
Well, I can't say it was good but it was short and free. Nice sprites to.

Game 6: Tokyo Jungle- 15 hours
Very fun but a bit limited gameplay wise.

Game 7: Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil- 5 hours
Too many cutscenes. Decent apart from that.

Yep, playing this on the train the last week or so and I'm really enjoying it. Do me a favour and confirm that they don't have a lot of the fingerprinting minigame in there though please, I've done it once do far and there's no way I can do all that blowing in public without attracting scorn.

Hahaha, no not much, you probably do it a handful of times.

StingX2

Game 13: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 6 Hours
(Started 3/3/14 / Finished 3/4/14)
I'm ready to slap everyone who said this game was a GOTY cotender. The story is fantastic and successfully tells a story without dialog, letting you learn who these characters are past the shallow 'he is the little brother and immature, and he is the older brother and semi mature'. Interacting with the environment lets you not only get insight to these characters but this world they live in. The graphics are stunning, and the game wisely installed benches everywhere for you to take in the views. So what is my issue? The game is a buggy mess full of game breaking glitches that require you to restart entire chapters, and freezes that send you to the dashboard. The controls while interesting are downright awful at times refusing to respond. A video game needs to be playable to be fun and breaking my immersion with dashboard crashes just takes me out of it, so does controls that fail to work in key moments.

OP

daveo42

Banned
Game 7: Bravely Default - 43 hours - In Progress

I haven't played all that much after it seemed like the whole game just slowed down in Chapter 3 during a specific side quest. I still plan on beating it though.

Game 8: The Walking Dead Season 2 - 3ish hours - In Progress

Finished up the 2nd episode this evening. Fantastic episode, even though it felt like we were rushing along during the first bit of the episode. Looking forward to episode 3 and hope the wait isn't all that long for it. I'm also hoping that these episodes get a bit longer. First one clocked in around 90mins and the 2nd one was around the same length.

Updated OP Here

NuclearTurtle

Neo Member
7. Assassin's Creed 4 - 30 hours
I came into this with low expectations. I only got a couple hours into AC3 before giving it up completely. I probably would have stalled my video game playing on this had I not been trying to do this 52 game commitment. The first few hours are not particularly enthralling, but they're not so bad that I would give up the game entirely. Just bad enough that I would procastinate.

After perservering, the game really opens up. A lot of the story missions still rely on the ever tedious eavesdropping and tailing. And after 30 hours with the game, I'm still not even close to understanding guard's vision range, AI, or alarmed / in combat states. But pretty much everything else in the game is a lot of fun.

The naval combat feels challenging and meaty. There's a million different collectibles that reward you for running around the cities and islands in the game. The sea shanties are good fun to listen to as you sail around at travel speed. It was a relief that the story didn't take itself quite so seriously this time (for the most part). The character motivations don't make a great deal of sense, and there are some character deaths that try to elicit some emotional response, but other than Blackbeard, I couldn't actually name a character, so those fell flat.

Overall, this game is worth you're time if you're looking to play something that isn't too challenging and doesn't take itself too seriously.

8. Fez - 5 hours
This game was fun for the first hour or so, but after that it just got really tiresome to do the zone navigations over and over again to try to find my way to any possible remaining puzzle piece. The warp gates were particularly misleading. I would make my way down a path of 3 or so rooms, and see that there's just one more left to go, but then take a warp gate that funnels me back to the first room. And then I have to a.) find the door out of the 7 in the warp room that leads to the chain of rooms I'm trying to get through and b.) do the platforming all over again. A cool concept game, but I found my patience running short with it near the end and just looking up 5-6 solutions towards the end of the game (requiring a QR reader...seriously) just to finish it off and move on to something else.

Original post

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I replayed Yakuza... SHOTEH FOCK OP! Things I'll never accomplish in this game: winning the final tournament, beating the secret boss, getting 20 homeruns in a row on any of the batting cages, learning the 6th & 7th special techniques from Komaki, win any boss fight in such a way as to make me look not completely bad at the combat, an prolly plenty more things but its all in good fun! Now normally I'll replay each game in the series a bit before the next one is due ta come out so.... c'mon Segac, announce that Yakuza 5 localization any day now~

Games Beaten: 12 / 52
Total Playtime: 111 hours, 57 minutes

link!

Caode

//COMPLETE LIST HERE//

GAME 9
God of War HD / PlayStation 3 /

- 6 Hours 20 minutes
- 80% Trophies

Just revisiting the God of War series, hadn't played this since year of release, still holds up well but some really frustrating parts (
spiked columns in hades
), although that could be attributed to me being impatient at times too.

Weiss

Banned
Game 14: Metal Gear Solid 2 - 14 hours

So, um... yeah. That was... something.

This is one of those games that I wish I was there to play for the first time back when it first came out. Coming in so late, knowing about Raiden's bait and switch and how absolutely insane the plot gets, but hell, i was still amazing. The Big Shell wasn't as impressive as Shadow Moses, but it was still a pretty cool place. Stealthing was a hell of a lot better this time around, too.

I get why people hated Raiden, but I loved him. It helps that A: He is a gigantic dork, and B: Everybody around him treats him like crap.

Say what you will about MGS2, but it sure is memorable.

donny2112

Game 14: Metal Gear Solid 2 - 14 hours

So, um... yeah. That was... something.

Played it for the first time this year, too. The convoluted story twists were a bit over the top, I think. Played MGS3 later, and it was much more grounded (and a much better game, I think). Planning on playing that this year, too?

StingX2

Game 14: Smart As... - 3 Hours
(Started 2/14/14 / Finished 3/6/14)
All games unlocked. It's a brain age like game that wants to use the rear touchpad and AR cards far too much for my liking

OP

Weiss

Banned
Played it for the first time this year, too. The convoluted story twists were a bit over the top, I think. Played MGS3 later, and it was much more grounded (and a much better game, I think). Planning on playing that this year, too?

Definitely. Followed by MGS4, and later Rising when I get the chance.

Franky, how absolutely batshit the last act gets is why I love Metal Gear. There aren't a lot of series that would have taken the risks or allowed for such a complex, utterly mindboggling story. With how homogenized gaming has gotten of late, cartwheeling naked through the anus of a giant robot while your support team yells at you to turn the game off is a tremendous breath of fresh air.

dhlt25

With my enormous backlog, I'm trying to beat more games and buy less this year

1, Gunpoint. Playtime:2.7 hrs

Very fun little game. It has a clever mechanic and use it very well. Ended at the right time and the game play never got old.

2, Gone Home. Playtime:1.4 hrs

I got it for free from IGN Prime. Played it to see what the hype is all about. Honestly, I don't really get it. It has a cool setting and exploring the house was fun. I don't really see what so good about the narrative. It's just like a cheesy b movie teenage love story to me.

3, Brothers. Playtime:3.6 hrs

Another hyped game that I don't get. Game play is ok, one particular moment was awesome. Storyline again very predictable and the emotional scenes are very forced in my opinion.

4, FF 13. Playtime: 40 hrs (10 hrs this year)

Finally finished FF13, overall ok game. Not as bad as people made it to be. The graphic and sounds are amazing, the game is one of the most polished title I've ever played. Story not bad, characters are also ok par for the course with JRPG, I never really think FF has good story so this game doesn't feel much worse for me. As for the gameplay, I actually kinda like that the story move very fast as very linearly at the beginning, it feels like the game maker knew exactly what they want to do and tell. My only gripe is the battle system in the first 20hrs, it's too limited and not having control over party members sucks. They should have just open up everything after 5 hrs. The game lost steam for me at the Gran Pulse, all of it is just a bunch of boring ass fetch quest, there's no narrative tie in to any of the missions which made them all very dull. I ended up spending 10hrs grinding xp without much enjoyment. The difficulty spike at the end was also annoying, trash mobs got incredibly strong and even harder than the boss. I almost gave up after losing to the trash mobs right before the end boss a bunch of time. The end boss was actually super easy.

5, Asura's Wrath and DLC. Playtime 11 hrs

An amazing and absurd game, def. worth playing for the crazy spectacle alone. Ending DLC is also highly recommended. I really enjoyed it.

6, Pool Nations. Playtime 3.5hrs

Can't really say that I'm done since you can keep playing this forever but I beat the 8 and 9 ball tournament. Overall the best pool game I've play, control are intuitive and refreshing. Graphics are great and online battle works great. I'll come back to this.

7, Lollipop Chainsaw. Playtime: ~7hrs.

My first Suda game, the game looks great, it has all the craziness that I expected. Gameplay is your typical hack and slash without much depth, it's not great but serviceable, there're a bunch of mini games mixed in which range from meh to terrible. The shooting mechanic is my least favourite, you have little control over the camera and the PS3 loose stick doesn't help. Game is short enough to not overstay its welcome.

8, Dangan Ronpa. Playtime: ~15-17 hrs

Very fun visual novel. I got addicted and finished in 3 days, still got the school mode to go through.I enjoyed the storyline but not really the gameplay, I'd much rather have a straight up select option like Phoenix Wright than the truth bullet. I'm kinda disappointed with the cases, a lot of them are rather simple and don't require much effort to solve. This led to me just skipping through the trial section since I already know what happened. Also the interacting between student is too limited, I was hoping for a persona like system there, the characters that is just card board cut out also turn me off.

9, Trials evolution. Playtime: ~6hrs

Very fun game as all trials game has been. Did the best that I could but never got enough medal to unlock the hardest tier. Uplay is very annoying, it attempt to load leader board every time I finish a track and takes anywhere from 5-10 sec, this make it impossible to quickly retry track which is essential for game like this. My save also didn't sync correctly 1 time and made me lost about 20 mins of progress. It's a great game that is plagued by a shitty Uplay system. So glad southpark don't have any of that shit.

oggob

| MY COMPLETE LIST |

Completion #08 : Game #13 : Kung Fu Rabbit (Vita | ~6hrs | Trophies - 100%)
This was a game that I thought was going to be different to what it actually was, I actually thought this was a proper platform game with combat, etc... This was picked up near release and/or when it was on sale, it was a complete impluse at the time. Had I of known what the game actually was, then I would have saved the money.

I will state that the actual jumping and movement controls are quite good and you do have control 99% of the time, the other 1% is when momentum kicks in and platform edges seem to be slopped and you can easily fall off if you aren't watching for a moment.

The game is far too easy though, with the game opening up the overpowered "weapon" really early and you don't need anything else.

Level design at times was frustrating also, with multiple deaths relating to traps that are impossible to see, obviously this is to extend the replay factor.

Can't really recommend this, there just isn't enough going for it.

Burnburn

Game #9: South Park: The Stick of Truth - 10 hours

Great game. I'm not that much of a fan of South Park, but when it's on TV I usually end up watching it. Game is great to experience, but playing it can be a bit of a dread sometimes. Walking through South Park is really fun, seeing all those places that are not really connected in the TV show form a "real" town in the game is nice. I found that the game had a bit of a slow start, but after the first night things really picked up. It had a lot of funny moments too.

I loved all the little nods to gaming in general. There was this one section that made fun of audiologs in videogames that had me gasping for air. Game is clearly made by people who love videogames and enjoyed making the game and it channels through.

The combat can be really boring at times. I had to take a break every 2 hours because I couldn't stand the combat anymore. There really is no depth to it. Every single one of my battles had the same strategy. Oh and maybe I missed it, but there seems to be no run button for combat. How can you miss something like a run button? When I was max level I really didn't want to fight anything anymore, but I was forced to.
8/10

Original Post

And with that I'm back on schedule, week 9 with 9 games completed.

Been having a nightmare with some of my gaming recently.

Witcher 2 refused to work with the controller on my PC? No idea why.

Mark of the Ninja on PC decided to wait until the last level or two in the game before randomly changing its screen size on me? So now I cannot see the bottom of the play area. No idea why or how to fix it. In fury I have walked away from PC gaming for a bit.

Then Metro: LL kicked my ass on stage 28, my checkpoint there has no ammo and I feel it will probably need restarting the stage to fix it. I have yet to summon up the patience to try again, as much as I enjoy the game.

So finally got stuck into Mirror Of Fate HD which I enjoyed.

Started on Lord of Shadows 2 now which I am enjoying a lot so far.

Original Post Updated:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=95692636#post95692636

zewone

1: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Finished 01/01 - 15 hours

I wasn't a fan of the game's art, but I thought it was a fun sequel to one of the best Zelda games ever made.

2: Journey - Finished 01/14 - 2 hours

I took too long to play this game. It's gorgeous. I would love to see it ported to PS4 like the other two games from thatgamecompany.

3: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Finished 01/23 - 5 hours

Originally bought on 360, didn't really like it at first. Friend told me to try it again. Ended up beating on PS3 with DS4 and seemed to enjoy the game more. I think $15 is still too much for the game, but for $3.75 it's a steal.

4: LIMBO - Finished 01/29 - 4 hours

I bought this game for 360 originally, but didn't complete it until I had the Vita version. Fantastic game.

5: Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD - Finished 02/08 - 35 hours

Completed on Proud Mode. Chose Shield and Rod, byeeeeeeeeee Sword.

6: The Last of Us: Left Behind - Finished 02/24 - 2 hours

One of the best pieces of DLC I've ever played. This game continues to amaze me at how real all of the characters are and how amazing Naughty Gods are at story telling in this medium.

7: Bravely Default - Finished 03/07 - 50 hours

Best RPG I've played since Persona 4. The combat system is so old school and at the exact time, extremely modern. I really enjoyed the characters, but felt the story telling started to really fall apart after Ch. 5 and it got too repetitive. Still, an amazing gem

8: Killzone Mercenary - Finished 03/09 - 6 hours

Best Killzone campaign. Thoroughly enjoyed.

9. Street Fighter X Tekken - Finished 03/09 - 30 minutes

Vita version. Went through Arcade once. Meh.

10. Titanfall - Finished 3/12 - 1 hour

Campaign was terrible. Waste of resources.

11. Dragon's Crown - Finshed 3/14 - 9 hours, 34 minutes

Such an amazing gem on the Vita. Will continue playing the other difficulties.

12. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - Finished 3/18 - 1 hour

I love the new gameplay and graphics are amazing on PS4. I thought there should have been more story cutscenes.

13. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Finshed 3/20 - 5 hours

I try to beat this game at least once a year. One of my all time favorites.

14. Dark Souls 2 - Finished 3/23 - 47 hours

One of my all time favorite games already. Enough said.

15. inFamous: SS - Finished 4/3 - 10 hours
Gorgeous game. Wish it was more fleshed out.

16. Final Fantasy XIV - Finished 4/28 - 70 hours

Amazingly addictive game, that I'm sure I will be sinking many more hours into.

17. Super Metroid - Finished 5/3- 8 hours, 29 minutes hours

90% item completion and I saved the animal friends.

18. Watch_dogs - Finished 6/21- 11 hours

I enjoyed my time in Chicago.

19. Castlevania - Finished 6/22- 6 hours

Not bad for a launch title Metroidvania.

20. Mario Kart 8 - Finished 6/23 - 2 hours

First MK I've enjoyed since GBA version.

21. Halo: Spartan Assault - Finished 7/7 - 1 hour

This game sucks.

22. Dark Souls 2: The Crown of the Sunken King - Finished 7/22 - 6 hours

Amazing DLC. Beat all of the bosses and played on NG++.

23. The Last of Us: Remastered - Finished 8/2 - 11hours, 32 minutes

Finished on Normal. Beautiful.

24. Demon Souls - Finished 8/12 - 30 hours

First time beating it. Nice to see where the franchise started.

25. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - Finished 8/12 - 30 hours

The best Souls game.

26. Transistor - Finished 8/22 - 4 hours

Game didn't really start clicking for me until the end. The voice acting is overly dramatic.

phierce

Original Post

Game 10: Tomb Raider - Credits (better than expected)

Game 11: Dead Nation - lots of co-op - still playing

Game 12: Wipeout 2048 - racing daily

Game 13: Smart As - I do the daily quiz every day (guess this counts?)

sooo its been a while since i completed a game.

I started a link between worlds back in the beginning of February. I got to the last dungeon before bravely default came in, which i promptly switched to right away. Whittled away at that for a while, and after 70+ hours of game play I'm on the final boss of that game when south park stick of truth arrives. so i start playing that right away. well south park is so far the greatest game I've played all year, and sadly only took me about 10 hours to beat. But hey, not i had time to go back and finish the rest!

so in a course of 3 days i completed Stick of truth, bravely default, and link between worlds.

In the opposite order i started them in.

Go me.

updated post here

Game 3: Tomb Raider (2014, PS4) - Roughly 6 hours
I don't really know where to begin. I'll just get out of the way that I enjoyed the game. It was pretty. It was action packed and the whole presentation was crazy looking.

Now for my qualms:

It was short.
It was linear.
It was overproduced.
It was unintuitive in parts and yanked the controls frustratingly from my hands when it wanted Lara to look cool doing finishers YET STILL ALLOWED ME TO BE MURDERED.

Old man yelling at clouds statement: I remember a time when I could plop in front of the tv for days and play games like this. Now I get it done in two casual sittings. Why? Why are these games so short and yet they are floundering the industry with enormous budgets that sink companies? It's unfortunate. I paid 40 dollars for this game on an Amazon discount offer and I am even unsure that it was worth that much.

Main Post Link

Week 9(.5). Late update, but whatever. Got Descent, Out There and South Park: The Stick of Truth under my belt in the last 10 days or so. I still have a bunch of unfinished JRPGs that I'll need to return to eventually, sadly (sorry Valkyria Chronicles 3, Bravely Default and Final Fantasy XIII-2), but other than that I'm doing pretty well at this challenge--that's 21 games down, and I could reasonably hit the halfway mark in the next month or two (though probably not by the end of March unless a miracle happens).

Coming up next: probably more Final Fantasy XIII-2 or Descent 2 until Atelier Escha & Logy come out, and then I will mainline that shit until that game spits me out 60 hours and two playthroughs later. GOOD LUCK TO ME.

Updated post here.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 15: South Park: The Stick of Truth. 19 Hours on Steam. Loved it, I wish there were more to it, it was like being in one really long, really awesome level.

Game 16: Peggle 2. XBox One. No clue how many hours I put in, but it was in 20-30 minute chunks over the last few months. Just finished the last challenge today.

FINALLY finished The Witcher, which has put me way behind in the challenge. It took 38 hours to complete over 23 days.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrluchador/recommended/20900/
The Witcher is an RPG where you play as Geralt - an Alcoholic Sex Addict who solves crimes, mysteries and paranormal events. You're a stoic guy, who doesn't really know or speak much of their past and seems to have an supply of redhaired sidekicks to help you ou. Basically, you're a white haired David Duchovny.

There is a lot I liked about The Witcher; such as the narative and compact storyline that can branch in several different ways. The Alchemy system to craft potions and oils, which become almost essential as the game progresses. Books & Scroll which progress the lore beyond that of NPC interactions, and in some instances help you gain extra loot and information about monsters.

Yet, there is one aspect I just wasn't keen on at all and that (switches to silver sword strong style to fight the Trolls) was the combat system. It's an interesting idea and concept, but I just didn't get into it. There are six different fighting styles - Silver Sword and Steel Sword. Each sword has 3 different attack options - Strong, Quick & Group. You need to select the correct sword adn the correct attack option to do the optimal damage to the enemy. Silver Swords are perfect for Non-Human creatures, and Steel Sword is perfect for Human creatures. Strong style is best for large, heavy hitting enemies, while quick is best for more agile, quicker enemies. Group, naturally, is best against a large group of enemies.
On paper it sounds pretty intelligent, but in reality it was somewhat frustrating and uninspiring. At one point the battles were simply referred to 'Benny Hills', due to the hit and run nature of the fights.

http://www.twitch.tv/mrluchador/c/3845320

So it's for that reason I would suggest if you were going to play through the game to put it on the easiest settings. Hopefully then you won't be too distracted by the fights within the game and can gain an understanding of the gameworld before you jump into The Witcher 2 & 3. Sadly, just I was starting to become bored of the combat, the game felt the urge to suddenly throw in Mob Waves and Gauntlet battles (something it had not done up to this point). By the time you reach the Final Chapter, you're suddenly fight more enemies than you've ever had to fight throughout the game that had came before hand.

It's the kind of game I wish I had played on release several years ago, or in retrospect loaded up with mods before I attempted to play it several years after release to fix the issues that others seemed to share.
Overall I'm pleased I played The Witcher, as I know feel like I'll understand The Witcher 3 somewhat better (there are tiny small droplets of references to 'The Wild Hunt' lore within The Witcher), and there are some honestly good moments within the game that need to be seen first hand. It's just a shame that the combat system gets in the way.

So if you're someone who wants to get into The Witcher for Witcher 3 then this game might be for you if you slap it on easy and soak in the Game World and Lore. If you're a fan of RPGs I'm not entirely sure where I'd go with my recommendation. I guess, in the end, it's only fitting (yet sadly unable in Steam Reviews) to sit on the fence and air my neutrality on this.

Game 4: Ducktales: Remastered - Roughly 5 hours

I love me some Ducktales. Always have, ever since I was a child. I grew up watching this show and it was my favorite of the Disney afternoon programs. This game was gorgeous and I have to commend Wayforward for their terrific use of color, design and their fortuitous advantage of getting most of the original voice actors for the game via Disney! (Those that were still alive). I heavily recommend this game to anyone and everyone.

My only complaint...that last level. What in the friggen world. Wayforward took a game that was already "Nintendo hard" and decided to kick it up a notch for most of the levels. For that last level, which was all brand new, they went bananas. Completely unforgiving compared to the difficulty in the rest of the levels. I still give this game extremely high marks for what it does well though.

Main Post Link

Lemstar

Worth playing? I have this in my backlog.
I definitely enjoyed my time spent playing it, but it kind of depends on how much you'd like hardboiled fiction. If you already have a copy, I'd suggest giving it a try through the first chapter or so to see if you like the presentation/where the plot might be going/the mechanics.

Axass

Worth playing? I have this in my backlog.

It is very linear, with a LOT of text to read, the plot is ok but nothing earth-breaking, some of the puzzles are fun because they make use of the DS peculiarities (two screens, touch controls, mic), but they are mostly very easy and there are very few.

I was let down when I played it, because I expected much better, but it's not a bad game. Only buy if you find it very cheap and love noir/detective stuff.

Leks

New month, new post.

Game 9: Mark of the Ninja - 29 hours played (Steam counter)
All achievements unlocked (02/03/2014).

Game 10: Hell Yeah - 7.5 hours played (Steam counter)
All achievements unlocked (08/03/2014).

Game 11: Shank - 9.2 hours played (Steam counter)
All achievements unlocked (13/03/2014).

Updated post.

EDIT: SUCCESS!

There's very little chance that I'll get as much as 52 games finished this year but I'll see how far I can go. Never finished more than 27 games in a single calendar year before so I'd be happy with more than 30. I'll attempt to match the X games for month threads on GAF (which I've managed to date).

I juggle a few games at a time which I play based on context. I have a commute by train to work - I'll play WiiU on a train with a plug (I am that guy) and Vita / 3DS otherwise. I have an Android mobile for stealing 5-15 mins whenever I have a spare moment. Have iPad at home which I've started using whenever something that doesn't need my full attention is on TV. Console gaming is where I struggle most - have a demanding job, wife and a one year old, but been able to get a little more this year.

2014 (52 total):

January (3):
* Tearaway (Vita)
* The Last of Us (PS3)
* The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

February (4, 7 total):
* Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
* The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS3)
* Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS)
* Hotline Miami (Vita)

March (4, 11 total):
* The Room (iOS)
* Killzone: Shadowfall (PS4)
* Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
* Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)

April (6, 17 total):
* The Room Two (iOS)
* Tomb Raider (PS3)
* Super Mario 3D World (WiiU) - All stars and stamps. This game is magnificent.
* Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
* Steamworld Dig (3DS)
* Infamous: Second Son (PS4)

May (3, 20 total):
* Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
* Gone Home (PC)
* Device 6 (iOS)

June (3, 23 total):
* Deus Ex: Human Revolution (WiiU)
* Monument Valley (iOS)
* Bravely Default (3DS)

July (5, 28 total):
* Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (Vita)
* Fez (Vita)
* Lone Survivor (Vita)
* Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (Vita)
* Retro City Rampage (Vita)

August (6, 34 total):
* Snatcher (Mega CD)
* Cave Story (PSP)
* Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
* Mega Man 2 (3DS VC / NES)
* Super Mario Bros. (3DS VC / NES)
* Pullblox (3DS)

September (5, 39 total):
* Ico (PS3)
* Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (Vita)
* Velocity 2X (Vita)
* The Walking Dead: 400 Days (360)
* The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC / GBC)

October (4, 43 total):
* Corpse Party (Vita / PSP)
* Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
* The Walking Dead: Season 2 (Vita)
* Remember Me (PS3)

November (4, 47 total)
* Rayman Legends (Vita)
* Super Castlevania IV (WiiU VC / SNES)
* DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
* Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)

December (5, 52 total)
* Bayonetta (WiiU)
* Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores (iOS)
* Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)
* Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
* Shovel Knight (WiiU)

Currently Playing:
* Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse (Vita)
* Shadow of Mordor (PS4)

Console games largely on hold at the moment - very busy at work. Still playing handheld on commute.

Edits:
16th March: Completed Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
16th March: Completed Killzone: Shadowfall (PS4)
21st March: Completed Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
1st April: Completed The Room Two (iOS)
3rd April: Completed Tomb Raider (PS3)
7th April: Completed Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
11th April: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
15th April: Steamworld Dig (3DS)
24th April: Completed Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
18th May: Completed Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
23rd May: Completed Gone Home (PC)
27th May: Completed Device 6 (iOS)
17th June: Completed Deus Ex: Human Revolution (WiiU)
18th June: Completed Monument Valley (iOS)
30th June: Completed Bravely Default (3DS)
1st July: Completed Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (Vita)
6th July: Completed Fez (Vita)
8th July: Completed Lone Survivor (Vita)
23rd July: Completed Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (Vita)
30th July: Completed Retro City Rampage (Vita)
4th August: Completed Snatcher (Mega CD)
8th August: Completed Cave Story (PSP)
26th August: Completed Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
27th August: Completed Mega Man 2 (3DS VC)
28th August: Completed Super Mario Bros. (3DS VC)
31st August: Completed Pullblox (3DS)
6th September: Ico (PS3)
8th September: Completed Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (Vita)
11th September: Completed Velocity 2X (Vita)
19th September: Completed The Walking Dead: 400 Days (360)
23rd September: Completed The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS / GBC)
1st October: Completed Corpse Party (Vita / PSP)
16th October: Completed Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
22nd October: Completed The Walking Dead: Season 2 (Vita)
25th October: Completed Remember Me (PS3)
5th November: Completed Rayman Legends (Vita)
8th November: Completed Super Castlevania IV (WiiU VC / SNES)
15th November: Completed DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
29th November: Completed Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
5th December: Completed Bayonetta (WiiU)
21st December: Completed Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores (iOS)
22nd December: Completed Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)
27th December: Completed Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
28th December: Completed Shovel Knight (WiiU)

Previous highest ever total for completed games in one year is 27.

Yasawas

Game 15: Tomb Raider 2013 (PS3) - Completed 9/3/14.

Wanted some mindless fun until Dark Souls II and the this showed up on PS+, what a wee treat it was. It's basically all the bits I like about Uncharted but it trades level variety and quality of script for good combat and less of it which is great because the godawful combat in the Naughty Dogs games is why I don't like them that much. <10 hours + not too hard = my kind of thing. Did not expect to get on with this for some reason but really enjoyed it.

Original post

Game 5: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 4 hours, 11 mins

I've always wanted to complete this game but never got around to doing it. I expected it to take longer, even to get one of the "bad" endings. I didn't get any assistance in doing this game and went in blind. As it pertains, I didn't get one of the "good" endings by defeating Dracula, but I organically completed the game and got credits. That counts it good enough for me.

The gameplay is excellent, the music is timeless and it is definitely a testament on how a good game can hold up over the years. The game is getting around 17 years old now and still plays like a champ.

Main Post Link

Yes! 2 more games down - I've slipped a little but 8 games done so far isn't bad....

Game 7: Toki Tori 2 + (Wii U) - Rescued all frogs - not sure how many hours - probably around 20 or so
Really enjoyed this game. What I especially like is that the game doesn't tell you what to do and it's up to you to figure out how the game mechanics are used to progress and influence the creatures to assist you. Visuals are crisp and clean and whilst it sometimes gets frustrating, checkpoints are thoughtfully placed. Would highly recommend - 8/10.

Game 8: Heavy Rain (PS3) - Completed the story once through.
Not quite sure what to say about this. On the one hand, there were things I really liked. On the other hand, it didn't really feel like playing a game and some of the mechanics I just didn't like. Overall though, I had a decent time playing it and surprisingly, I found the story to be quite engaging. Will do a LTTP on this. Would recommend as an experience if you haven't played it. 7/10.

As I say above, I HIGHLY recommend Toki Tori 2+ on Wii U, especially if it is discounted again in the future - look out for it if it is and buy it!

Heavy Rain is a game that I'm glad I experienced but I have mixed feelings. As I say above, I will likely do a LTTP on it to see how my feedback fits with other GAFfers. My gut reaction was a 7/10 but judged purely as a 'game', it would be lower than that.

So, WHAT'S NEXT?????

Looks like my next games will be:
Paper Mario Sticker Star on 3DS
Castlevania: LOS on PS3
One of or a mixture of Nintendoland, SM3DW, DKC:TF on Wii U....

Original Post

Burnburn

Game #10: Final Fantasy Tactics: The war of the Lions - 30 hours

I didn't enjoy this game as much as I could, and that is partly my fault and that of the game. Upon starting the game one of the things I hate most showed itself. I was greeted with these three options: "New game","Continue" and ..... "Tutorial". I absolutely hate it when a tutorial is not a part of the game, but just there on the start screen. Now even though I hate it, most of the times it's doable and could have been part of the game anyway. But no, this was different, when opening the tutorial I got greeted with a shitload of options. I did one before giving up. Gaming should be fun and this just felt like learning. So going into the game I had no idea of most of the mechanics and such.

Anyway after finding stuff out on my own I got a little better at it and it became enjoyable. But only for short burst. There just isn't much variety; it's either defeat all the enemies or defeat a boss. Defeat Boss is pretty much; rush the boss and kill him the first or second turn. What also didn't help is that most of the time you spend preparing for battle. The battles are so short that you win in your preperation. Do the battle, die (or get lucky and win) remember the lay-out and pick your team. What I did really like about the game was the story, really nice story, with an awesome ending that took me by surprise.
6/10

Previously on Burnburn's backlog

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 17: Titanfall. XBox One. Played through the campaign a few times, not mega interested in the multi, it was a gift anyways. Very meh. Fun mechanics, but annoying to try and follow the story in the middle of combat.

Weiss

Banned
Game 15: Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance - 21 hours

Got this while I was waiting for 2.5 HD to come out, and I was surprised at how good it was. Platforming is a lot better in this one than it was in the first game, and Flowmotion is amazing and needs to return in the KH3. Hunchback of Notre Dame and Fantasia are some of my favourite Disney movies, so I loved having those levels, and the appearance of the cast from TWEWY as great too (now get to work on TWEWY 2, for god's sake). The Dream Eaters are visually a mixed bag, but there's enough interesting stuff about them that I ended up liking them more than I didn't.

Having said that, this game is not without its flaws. First and foremost is that it feels more like a giant grab bag of ideas that were thrown together to make a game. I loved Flowmotion, but Reality Shifting was totally underutilized and the Dream Eaters are a poor man's Heartless, and linking abilities through them forcing you to grind and play minigames to get more skills was annoying. More importantly, making them into your party members instead of the Disney characters was a terrible decision, and it made the game feel less like Kingdom Hearts should. I've only played the original and Chain of Memories, so I don't know if 2 and Birth By Sleep did this, but the worlds this time around just felt like set pieces to fight Dream Eaters, and on top of that, there's only a handful of Disney bosses. I wish the Dream Eaters had been in a separate game altogether, because they're actually pretty cool monsters, but they're just another idea thrown onto the heap in Kingdom Hearts, and they're never going to come back.

As for the plot, and I speak as somebody who jumped from the first game to this one, but it is goshdarned sillybuns. I won't spoil anything here, but sufficed to say that I'm a big spoiler hound and know most of the story already, and I was still confused. I pity any kid who bought this game without any foreknowledge.

TLDR: Release Kingdom Hearts 3 already, dangit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom