• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer (X-Men, Usual Suspects) accused of sexually abusing underage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapiens

This guy's no Polanski with some artistic cred.

He's a director who did one critically acclaimed film when he was starting out and a bunch of commercial stuff later, and he's coming off a number of consecutive flops.

At best, he'll wind up like the kid rapist who directed the Jeepers Creepers movies.

In spite of all the alleged diddling, I'm kind of shocked studios still give mega-money to Singer to makes movies.

G-Fex

I don't like the tone of your post.
We don't know if he's guilty because we haven't actually seen the outcome of a trial.

How would you like it if people hinted at you raping 17-year olds?
Before you've even been given a fair trial?

Squiddy hes not exactly got a great reputation. Serious shady shit

I disagree.

I disagree with you then.

Squiddy hes not exactly got a great reputation. Serious shady shit

People are jelly then, besides, what does someone's reputation matter?
Guilt should not be determined on the basis of someone's reputation. It should be determined in a court, where the accused is allowed a chance to defend themselves from the accusation on as close to neutral grounds as there could be.

But I guess people just love their fucking gossip to death, consequences be fucking damned.

One thing I am wondering: why the hell is everyone talking about the kids age when, if the allegations are true, what Singer did would be rape even if the dude was 50?

Unless something has changed in the past 24 hours, apologies, but what I read yesterday was allegations of forcible rape, drugged rape, and rape that started when the victim was 15.

So again...

Why the fuck is the fact that the victim might be of consenting age in some places even being discussed?

benjipwns

Banned
Guilt is not determined, nor should it, on the basis of it - it should be determined in a court, where the accused is allowed a chance to defend themselves from the accusation on as close to neutral grounds as there could be.
No guilt will be determined in this case, this is a civil suit not a criminal case.

Yeah... I like a lot of Singers work, but if this stuff is true (and the gossip in the thread gives me inklings it is) I'll judge and harshly.

That's about all I have to say. If true the dude is a freaking sleazy rapist.

I'll still like his work. But I can still do that while finding him bugnuts crazy and harmful to society.

Dead Man

I disagree.

Stalemate :)

One thing I am wondering: why the hell is everyone talking about the kids age when, if the allegations are true, what Singer did would be rape even if the dude was 50?

Unless something has changed in the past 24 hours, apologies, but what I read yesterday was allegations of forcible rape, drugged rape, and rape that started when the victim was 15.

So again...

Why the fuck is the fact that the victim might be of consenting age in some places even being discussed?
I think the lack of proof plays into that a bit. I can't see it being proven one way or the other, but the other stuff like age and how often they met is provable.

If Singer did that, then it is clearly rape and I don't think anyone has disputed that. Well, I hope they haven't.

G-Fex

This is what I'm confused about too, people bringing up the same stupid old arguments about region age legitimacy when the bigger issue is abuse and rape.

We don't know if he's guilty because we haven't actually seen the outcome of a trial.

If there were pictures of me hanging around with underage girls, giving them drugs, and years worth of rumors of me having an obsession with them, I'd hire a good lawyer.

Kinyou

Amy Berg, who runs Disarming Films, received an Oscar nomination for her 2006 documentary “Deliver Us From Evil,” about sex abuse allegations in the Catholic Church.
I have this feeling that she wont get a nomination this time around.

seriously. Very sad gaffers, pretty dissapointing!
It's because some of them get hung up over the pedophile being described as someone attracted to anyone under the federal age of consent.

Don't worry guys, no one is judging you for occasionally flirting with the 16 year old check out boy/girl at your local grocery.

You're not giving them molly and raping them. Singer potentially is. So screw that little piece of shit. Don't do that and you'll be golden GAF.

But please just drop the age of consent arguments. Neither here nor there in this thread.

Where does your idea that "court = truth" come from?

Are you aware that guilty people can get off and that innocent people can be wrongly convinced? OJ Simpson, son.

This is also a civil suit, not a criminal trial.

benjipwns

Banned
It's because some of them get hung up over the pedophile being described as someone attracted to anyone under the federal age of consent.

Don't worry guys, no one is judging you for occasionally flirting with the 16 year old check out boy/girl at your local grocery.

You're not giving them molly and raping them. Singer potentially is. So screw that little piece of shit. Don't do that and you'll be golden GAF.

But please just drop the age of consent arguments. Neither here nor there in this thread.
Yeah, but what if like they accuse me of that? If we focus on the real issue, getting rid of age of consent laws, then we'll all be golden.

jett

D-Member
It's kinda funny once upon a time I used to think Singer was a fairly stand up director for Hollywood. What's strange to me is how shameless he apparently has been about his behavior all these years, he gave no fucks at all about his reputation, I guess.

The standards of a criminal trial don't apply to the court of public opinion. And just in case it's not clear, I point this out not so that it appears as though I'm agreeing with you and suggesting that we should apply the standards of a criminal trial to a discussion such as this one. I write this as a rebuttal to your post because it's not clear to me what point it is that you think you're making.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ugh reading about the casting couch thingie in Wikipedia:

United States

-In her book You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again (1991), Oscar-winning producer Julia Phillips attempted to expose many of the underground Hollywood institutions and confirmed that a "casting couch" mentality was alive and well in Hollywood.

-In a 1995 article, journalist Peter Keough described Hollywood as "a town where everyone is selling body and soul for fame and fortune and all – especially women – are considered commodities".[2]

-In a 1996 interview, actor Woody Harrelson declared "every [acting] business I ever entered into in New York seemed to have a casting couch ... I've seen so many people sleep with people they loathe in order to further their ambition."[3]

-In 2003, Italian actress Asia Argento stated that Hollywood producers expect oral sex from young starlets in exchange for roles.[4] Her semi-autobiographical film Scarlet Diva (2000) features a scene along these lines with painter Joe Coleman playing a lecherous producer.

-At a 2005 class reunion, producer Chris Hanley told his former classmates that "almost every leading actress in all of [his] 24 films has slept with a director or producer or a leading actor to get the part that launched her career".[5]

-In 2009, Megan Fox stated that leading film directors made sexual propositions while casting for film roles.[6]

-In a 2009 interview with OK! Magazine, actress Charlize Theron claimed that when she was 18 she was propositioned at an audition by a pajama-clad Hollywood director.[7] “I thought it was a little odd that the audition was on a Saturday night at his house in Los Angeles, but I thought maybe that was normal.”[8]

-In a 2009 interview, actor Mickey Rourke declared: "There's definitely something called a casting couch... if you take a girl from the Midwest with a pretty face and instead of inviting them in for an audition in the morning, the directors invite them for dinner at night? ... I can recall with certain women, we'd go out, I'd park the car on Sunset and by the time I'd got to the curb there'd be three or four producers handing them cards... There's ways you get a job and ways you get a job."[9]

-In a 2010 interview with Elle magazine, Gwyneth Paltrow revealed that early in her career a film executive suggested that a business meeting should finish "in the bedroom".[10]

-In April 2010, actor Ryan Phillippe admitted on the Howard Stern Show that he had had to flee a “creepy” casting-couch session when he was 18 or 19.[11]

-In a 2010 interview with Access Hollywood, actress Lisa Rinna said a producer had asked her for "a quickie" when she was a 24-year old candidate for a role on a prominent television series.[12] At the same interview, Rinna's husband Harry Hamlin claimed that a female casting director attempted to seduce him in the late 1970s when he was 27.[13][14]

-In the November 2012 issue of Elle magazine, Susan Sarandon spoke of a "really disgusting" casting-couch experience in New York in the late 1960s or early 1970s. “I just went into a room and a guy practically threw me on the desk. It was my early days in New York and it was really disgusting. It wasn’t like I gave it a second thought. It was so badly done.”[15][16]

-Theresa Russell has alleged in multiple interviews that she was propositioned by legendary producer Sam Spiegel during her first casting session for The Last Tycoon. [17]

Not necessarily related to Singer's case but just shows you how the entire thing is still alive and well in Hollywood :/

Dead

well not really...yet
These stories paint Singer as almost comically depraved.

They paint a picture of him dunking his head into a mountain of fucking coke in his bedroom like a god damn cartoon character and then getting back up with the crazy eyes and chasing some dude in his underwear

They paint a picture of him dunking his head into a mountain of fucking coke in his bedroom like a god damn cartoon character and then getting back up with the crazy eyes and chasing some dude in his underwear

The coke stories from the X2 shoot were all wild. He would be high on set and would refuse to come out of his trailer, he would fight with the actors, all sorts of shit.

Sounds like a nightmare to work with.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Never been to a party that turned out to be a coke party, I see.

nomis

The coke stories from the X2 shoot were all wild. He would be high on set and would refuse to come out of his trailer, he would fight with the actors, all sorts of shit.

Sounds like a nightmare to work with.

No wonder that movie was so awesome

1338.gif

Damn, this guy sounds absolutely insane. Too bad without him we get shit like The Last Stand. As sad as I am to see that happen, it's for the best. :(

The standards of a criminal trial don't apply to the court of public opinion. And just in case it's not clear, I point this out not so that it appears as though I'm agreeing with you and suggesting that we should apply the standards of a criminal trial to a discussion such as this one. I write this as a rebuttal to your post because it's not clear to me what point it is that you think you're making.

Let's not start or encourage witch hunts based on celebrity gossip provided by outlets which make a living off spreading celebrity gossip - that's my point. Sure, different standards of determining truth and all, but when it comes to heavy accusations like pedophilia and rape I wouldn't trust the public court one bit.

I'm not going to treat this Bryan Singer person differently just because he happens to be a celebrity, I will treat him just as I would treat your average guy who has been accused of abominable crimes - by being cautious and encouraging others to not draw hasty conclusions.

Spinluck

So tired of this notion that because a director has directed 1 or 2 good movies for a franchise, it then means no one is worthy enough to be brought in to replace them. When there is probably someone out there who can give us a better X-Men movie, and I say this as someone who enjoyed X2 quite a lot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Singer Gon Give It To Ya

Guy.brush

A director on set is like a father and leader figure combined. He is the the guy that ultimately sends stuntmen to do a dangerous stunt and demands absolute precision from his actors' and crew. Doing drugs undermines all that and it is dangerous to both crew and the film production itself.

If the story about coke on set is true and he did heavy drugs I don't understand why the studio would continue to let him reign. Should have fired him immediately.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If the story about coke on set is true and he did heavy drugs I don't understand why the studio would continue to let him reign. Should have fired him immediately.

If they fire Singer for this then they would also have to fire themselves. Hollywood executives do plenty of drugs/sexually exploit talent.

A director on set is like a father and leader figure combined. He is the the guy that ultimately sends stuntmen to do a dangerous stunt and demands absolute precision from his actors' and crew. Doing drugs undermines all that and it is dangerous to both crew and the film production itself.

You don't know much about the movie business, do you?

domstah

Not to defend Singer or his actions, but if this were a mid-tier director doing this with barely legal girls would it even be a story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom