• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

The fact that it says "Iwata will talk about his mistakes" is reason enough for it to be untrue, even though there are dozens of other reasons.

Personally I think the biggest reason that rumour is untrue...is because it teases a "big surprise" at the end but doesn't give us any information about it.

If the "Nintendo employee" really didn't care enough about his job to keep things private, why on Earth would he divulge all of that information but tease absolutely nothing related to the "big surprise"? That's not how those kind of things work.

What I really, really hate about these idiotic "insider posts" is that they often use claims that are highly speculated and/or already revealed by Nintendo. So everything seems reasonable on paper and they can sucker in gullible people to consider it at face value and give them attention and credibility.

I'm surprised that fake leaker didn't make up some story about the NFC game. Nintendo has already confirmed it will show off an NFC game at E3, but apparently the "leaker" forgot about that.

cacildo

Good thing:

Since Nintendo just made huge stealth directs for both mario kart and smash bros....

...it means at least they wont spend time on the digital event talking about it.

(Because as you all remember, last E3 we had precious minutes being wasted with MORE Pikmin 3 talk, when everybody was more than tired of pikmin 3 before release)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
here is a list of past nintendo conference summary rumours that have come true:

JoeM86

Personally I think the biggest reason that rumour is untrue...is because it teases a "big surprise" at the end but doesn't give us any information about it.

If the "Nintendo employee" really didn't care enough about his job to keep things private, why on Earth would he divulge all of that information but tease absolutely nothing related to the "big surprise"? That's not how those kind of things work.

What I really, really hate about these idiotic "insider posts" is that they often use claims that are highly speculated and/or already revealed by Nintendo. So everything seems reasonable on paper and they can sucker in gullible people to consider it at face value and give them attention and credibility.

I'm surprised that fake leaker didn't make up some story about the NFC game. Nintendo has already confirmed it will show off an NFC game at E3, but apparently the "leaker" forgot about that.

Also true.

I've dealt with many fakes in my time with my site, and the ones that people believe are always the ones that include known truths in it. It's a bit ridiculous.

Kevin

This video? lol pretty good. I own a Wii U and really hope Nintendo has some cool stuff this E3. Hoping Zelda is awesome! I enjoyed Skyward Sword but it wasn't the epic Zelda I wanted.

AniHawk

so i'm a super secret industry insider and i got all the scoops on the new nintendo digital event.

-new format for skits to relay information- think mario kart and tomodachi direct, but shorter skits and with better production values
-zelda wii u will be shown off. some people won't like the direction nintendo's taking, but i think it will be pretty good!
-x will be shown off and the final name will be revealed. it will come out within a year.
-smash bros. 4 near-final roster shown off. expect one more push for the 3ds version before that game's release.
-the return of an old classic (not f-zero or star fox)
-yarn yoshi gameplay shown off. release date before the end of the year.
-onto third-party games, fatal frame is revealed for the first time with plans to bring it over. looks really scary!
-bayonetta 2 is really close to being done. releasing in either august or september. there will be a nintendo direct to cover this game in detail before its release (think w101)
-sonic boom trailer
-smt x fe gets a teaser trailer for the first time. expect more information sometime next year.
-nfc game is pokken. game starts with 12 fighters and you can purchase up to eight upon the game's release. launching in 2015 after smash bros.

-onto 3ds, we will see more information regarding tomodachi
-expect a remake of a popular game. it's not pokemon (i don't want to spoil anything but people have been expecting it for a while!)
-speaking of pokemon... well, let's just let that one be a surprise! ;)
-the detective game looks good. almost like the old mystery games on the super famicom except a lot less violent
-third-party games shown off. nothing too surprising, but you'll see persona q, ace attorney, and a localization people have been clamoring for.

-qol is the third part of the event, but it's only the part that interacts with games. nintendo will be having a separate event shortly before e3 to showcase their new devices and software. miyamoto's new game interacts with this in some way.

-show closes out with a really awesome surprise. really blows the twilight princess reveal out of the water, and keep in mind, this already has zelda in it. so stay tuned...!

edit: there's other stuff in there too but i don't want to ruin all the surprises.

Kevin

so i'm a super secret industry insider and i got all the scoops on the new nintendo digital event.

-new format for skits to relay information- think mario kart and tomodachi direct, but shorter skits and with better production values
-zelda wii u will be shown off. some people won't like the direction nintendo's taking, but i think it will be pretty good!
-x will be shown off and the final name will be revealed. it will come out within a year.
-smash bros. 4 near-final roster shown off. expect one more push for the 3ds version before that game's release.
-onto third-party games, fatal frame is revealed for the first time with plans to bring it over. looks really scary!
-bayonetta 2 is really close to being done. releasing in either august or september. there will be a nintendo direct to cover this game in detail before its release (think w101)
-sonic boom trailer
-smt x fe gets a teaser trailer for the first time. expect more information sometime next year.
-nfc game is pokken. game starts with 12 fighters and you can purchase up to eight upon the game's release. launching in 2015 after smash bros.

-expect a remake of a popular game. it's not pokemon (i don't want to spoil anything but people have been expecting it for a while!)
-the detective game looks good. almost like the old mystery games on the super famicom except a lot less violent
-third-party games shown off. nothing too surprising, but you'll see persona q, ace attorney, and a localization people have been clamoring for.

-qol is the third part of the event, but it's only the part that interacts with games. nintendo will be having a separate event shortly before e3 to showcase their new devices and software. miyamoto's new game interacts with this in some way.

-show closes out with a really awesome surprise. really blows the twilight princess reveal out of the water, and keep in mind, this already has zelda in it. so stay tuned...!

edit: there's other stuff in there too but i don't want to ruin all the surprises.

This would almost be believable if it wasn't for the last part. The Zelda: Twilight Princess unveil was one of the biggest reveals at E3 that shocked every Nintendo fan. It's very hard to believe Nintendo can 1up that.

-sonic boom trailer

You're doing a fantastic job at making my eye twitch.

:)

Qurupeke

-sonic boom trailer

Most of it is quite possible and I'd be really happy about such a show.

You're oddly combative tonight
A tiny bit..
I swear you get a new tag every 10 days or something

-sonic boom trailer

For once you are not sarcastic, but just cranky

-sonic boom trailer

Sure, sure. I don't believe you especially the Zelda part sounds horrible. Except return for a old IP. that would be the worst case scenario. You lied did you?

cacildo

Finally made a bingo card! It was a lot harder to come up with stuff to fill it up than i imagined....

But i had a lot of fun. Has been years since i wanted to do one.

Thanks for the guy who made the template a few pages back. His predictions are obviously a lot better

bingo8kq2n.jpg

Sorry about my now-we´re-all-used-to bad english. I dont even know if "precious minutes spent" means exactly what i want it to

The fact that it says "Iwata will talk about his mistakes" is reason enough for it to be untrue, even though there are dozens of other reasons.

The biggest give away that this and a lot of other fakes have is the "He couldn't tell me everything"
Why? He's already breaking his NDA to tell you stuff that he isn't supposed to, why on Earth can't he tell you "everything"?
EDIT: I see this was already sorta mentioned, whoops.

Hindl

So not really about rumors but just a thought I had about something Nintendo could do at E3. They said the Treehouse would be streaming every hour of E3 right? Well even if they announce all the games we are hoping for and make all our dreams come true, there aren't enough games to fill all that time. So does anyone else think that maybe for at least a couple of hours, Nintendo will give indies the spotlight? Like let the developers come and stream their game while talking about it? It would help bolster Nintendo's indie credentials even further, and you can't really get a bigger stage for an indie game than a livestream during E3. Anyone else think it's possible?

Marlowe89

-sonic boom trailer

S-stop that.

RagnarokX

the way it's treated is more like different levels of a video game though. admittedly the escort mission is largely a complete retread, and i would have preferred getting a brand new area to show off my sweet sweet bow and arrow skills, but i could understand the choice.

i still don't understand the reason for returning to the original temple. i can't recall doing anything different there. everything else pretty much has a different treatment where it changes the level design each time.

and unlike some bad games out there
directed by hideki kamiya
, it didn't have you fighting the same boss the same way each time. the method would evolve until the final iteration. i mean if they're actually going to have the same dudes show up again, thank god they actually mixed it up.

the handholding was bad. for me the worst part about it wasn't even the hints, but how it killed the pacing of the game. i never felt like i could just play at my own speed. and fi as a character wasn't interesting so there's not even that to fall back on. and the game itself was easy, but i think more of this has to do with my having played zelda for 20 years (good lord it's been that long?!). at this point, i'm used to the design process behind this group. that's why i was hoping the motion controls would be used to solve puzzles in creative ways and not just for combat.

other than that, i think it's pretty solid. there's some beautiful music, probably the best in the series. i enjoyed what they did with the presentation overall. and i like that the game, outside of the barren skyworld, was pretty much all dungeons all the time.

and funny enough, most of the problems i have with skyward sword, i also have with the first super mario galaxy. the two are extremely similar to each other in how they're paced and how they're structured. but where the pacing and easiness of super mario galaxy really got on my nerves at times, i wasn't as bothered with it in skyward sword.
Right, especially in the desert you visit new areas. Lake Floria wasn't great but it was no less linear than any other Zelda area. And honestly the stuff they give you to do in these areas is at least more engaging and makes them less like filler between dungeons and more like dungeons themselves. There were a few duds like returning to the first dungeon, but for the most part the various tasks asked of you were fine and at the very least better than the shit Twilight Princess made you do between dungeons.

They did change up the first dungeon in very minimal ways like requiring the Mogma mitts to find a key. I think the point of it was actually to introduce the concept of using bombs to kill stalfos since they give you a bunch of bomb flowers that end the miniboss fight instantly.

As far as handholding, I actually watched a walkthrough to refresh my memory and jotted down the times that Fi interrupts the player in the first 3 areas:

Faron Woods:
  • Fi has you set a beacon to show you how to use them.
  • Then you can use dowsing to search for Zelda but you find a Kikwi instead.
  • You go find the chief Kikwi who asks you to find 3 Kikwis and you can dowse to find them.
  • Once you find all 3 you get the slingshot and can open the way to the next area of the woods.
Eldin Volcano:
  • You land and Fi tells you that your stuff can catch on fire. Doesn't tell you where to go. You run around and explore the entire really well-designed volano area and Fi doesn't pop up again until you reach the summit where the Earth Temple is.
  • Fi tells you you can dowse to find the keys. That's all!
Lanayru Mine:
  • You land and Fi tells you Zelda was here and doesn't tell you where to go. You can dowse if you get lost.
  • After navigating the mines completely on your own and reaching Lanayru Desert, Fi pops up again to tell you that quicksand is dangerous and you might want to check your map to see what kind of terrain is what, and the leaves you to figure out where to go. Doesn't tell you where to go.
  • Fi pops up again to tell you that timeshift stones create a time bubble in the past. No shit, Fi.
  • Once you reach the temple and find the door blocked, a robot tells you that you can enter the temple through the mining facility and shows you on your map where that is. He changes your map to a map of the past and Fi tells you the terrain on this map is different from the terrain in the present.
  • Upon stepping on a safe path hidden below the quicksand, Fi pops up to tell you you can place beacons on submerged walkways in the quicksand by checking your map and upgrades your beacons so you can place more.
  • Upon finding out you need to activate 3 generators, Fi tells you you can dowse for the generators you need to find.
  • Once you find all 3 she tells you to return to the dial. If you fail to figure out the puzzle in your first try she gives you a hint.

Yes, Fi's interruptions are annoying, but she's really about on par with past helpers. It's just her personality is super boring.

For an example of a dungeon:

In Ancient Cistern:
  • Fi will pop up to tell you that the boss door is a boss door.
  • If you read a tablet telling you that you need a boss key for the boss door, Fi will pop out and confirm that you do indeed need a boss key for the boss door.
  • Fi will pop up to tell you that the boss key chest contains a boss key.

Annoying but not telling me anything I didn't already know.

Pacing certainly needed work, though.

Yes, Fi's interruptions are annoying, but she's really about on par with past helpers. It's just her personality is super boring.

I can understand why people say that, but I didn't find her personality boring honestly, I thought it was kinda funny and they did some cute things with it, like when Scrapper got the hots for her.

Albo

I can understand why people say that, but I didn't find her personality boring honestly, I thought it was kinda funny and they did some cute things with it, like when Scrapper got the hots for her.

I think that was the intention, to have her become more human as you progressed together with subtle things like
miscalculating percentages, dancing/singing, having a robot crush, and eventually feeling happiness for the first time by the end of the game just before having to go sleep forever

Her stating obvious percentages for the whole game is
a build up to the final moments where she wrongly predicts for the first time that there's a 0% chance of you defeating demise
. I can understand why her dry sarcastic humour didn't come across well for some people who are impatient with gameplay interruptions. Although I don't blame hylia for programming fi that way to ensure the best possible chances of link succeeding :p

GIMME ALL THE E3 RUMORS!

TOHtnRO.jpg

NOM NOM NOM NOM

Those poor kikwi's loftwings

I think that was the intention, to have her become more human as you progressed together with subtle things like
miscalculating percentages, dancing/singing, having a robot crush, and eventually feeling happiness for the first time by the end of the game just before having to go sleep forever

Her stating obvious percentages for the whole game is
a build up to the final moments where she wrongly predicts for the first time that there's a 0% chance of you defeating demise
. I can understand why her dry sarcastic humour didn't come across well for some people who are impatient with gameplay interruptions. Although I don't blame hylia for programming fi that way to ensure the best possible chances of link succeeding :p
Pretty much, you have to be really patient to enjoy her character. I honestly really enjoyed her character arc and am kinda saddened by all the hate she gets, but at the same time I understand it and can't blame people.

emb

I didn't have any problem with her character, I just don't want those kind of interruptions. I don't care if she's the best character ever; that's not the problem at all. It's been too long for me to remember specifics though. I need to replay both TP and SS. I really loved both, in spite of (what I felt were) some glaring issues.

prag16

Banned

Nah, he's talked about "mistakes" before, to some extent. It's not inconceivable.

To be honest, nothing in there taken individually sounds implausible on its own. I'd be interested to hear the "dozens of reasons" why it's B.S. A lot of it is stuff that's already heavily speculated or even semiconfirmed. (Zelda reveal, at least one new IP, new 3DS hardware revision, another HD remake, etc)

That said, taken all together, too much of it sounds way too good to be true though. Several old IP revivals? Several new IPs, including new IP that appeals to CoD/BF crowd? In addition to all that a final "one more thing..." at the end that will "blow our minds"??

And the cancelled project that was previously announced; if true I'd assume it's SMTxFE, but it wouldn't make sense to talk about a cancellation during this event. Unless it came coupled with an announcement of a brand new FE game for Wii U or something.

Overall, I'm definitely heavily inclined to think it's false, but it doesn't sound NEARLY as absurd as that 100 year old gamer garbage from last year. Definitely agree that this in no way deserves a thread at this point.

ecosse_011172

Every year we get these crazy lists which are always false, I never really understood the motivation of the people that make this stuff up tbh.

He's done so on many occasions. In fact, one of the reasons I love Iwata is the way he readily talks about where they mess up.

Like that time he said it was a mistake to have a software drought with the Gamecube and that it would never happen on another one of their systems again.
And then it did, multiple times.

Hiltz

There's some other things we might see from Nintendo for Wii U. The following was announced by Iwata during his January 2014 speech (except for Miyamoto's "new" IP):

- Update to allow for Quick Start up time

- DS titles added to Virtual Console

- That new app to be used on mobile devices as a new marketing tool

- If Iwata is to be believed, at least one Wii U game is coming out shortly after MK 8.

- If Miyamoto is to be believed, a new IP is in development. I think he mentioned it last time back in July 2013. Apparently, it is for Wii U.

emb

Nah, he's talked about "mistakes" before, to some extent. It's not inconceivable.

To be honest, nothing in there taken individually sounds implausible on its own. I'd be interested to hear the "dozens of reasons" why it's B.S. A lot of it is stuff that's already heavily speculated or even semiconfirmed. (Zelda reveal, at least one new IP, new 3DS hardware revision, another HD remake, etc)

That said, taken all together, too much of it sounds way too good to be true though. Several old IP revivals? Several new IPs, including new IP that appeals to CoD/BF crowd? In addition to all that a final "one more thing..." at the end that will "blow our minds"??

And the cancelled project that was previously announced; if true I'd assume it's SMTxFE, but it wouldn't make sense to talk about a cancellation during this event. Unless it came coupled with an announcement of a brand new FE game for Wii U or something.

Overall, I'm definitely heavily inclined to think it's false, but it doesn't sound NEARLY as absurd as that 100 year old gamer garbage from last year. Definitely agree that this in no way deserves a thread at this point.
The fact that it's so undeniably vague is the big thing. Stuff like 'new ip' or a 'big surprise' or an 'ip that appeals to a certain crowd'. All of this is a dead giveaway. So vague that no effort even had to be put into making it up. And like you said, a good deal of the things mentioned were already confirmed, hinted at, or speculated. Again, nothing that requires actual inside knowledge to guess.

thefro

\

Yeah, that's not really possible unless Nintendo has 1) done a ton more outsourcing and 2) decides to tease games coming in 2016 at E3 this year.

georly

Goddammit. Can I just have my 60FPS HD 30-player online F-Zero game.

As long as falling off the stage doesnt = permadeath, that would be rad. I remember f-zero X being chaos, knocking off as many players as possible at the beginning. Races would have less than 10 people in it by the end.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to come off as a nag here, but if you are gonna use my bingo template, try to not to compress it into horribly low quality. I'll provide a custom bingo template for the Digital Event of course, I just have to recreate a bunch of things due to a nasty crash recently. But I could have it ready within an hour or two.

BuggyMike

This just made my morning! I'm extremely excited to see the new Zelda and hopefully Fast Racing Neo at e3. Seeing these two games along with more Bayo 2, X, Yoshi Yarn and just 2 other big announced games for Wii U is all I need. Aonuma sounds so ambitious with this new Zelda, and I enjoyed WWHD so damn much I can't wait to just see it. I wanna see what kind of gorgeous visuals this Zelda has, and the type of atmosphere they can create with the power available on the Wii U. I've been watching that Wii U Zelda tech demo over and over, imagining a beefed up version of that, with more detail, better lighting etc.

They actually did up the scope with Skyward Sword. The areas in SS are massive. They are several times bigger and more involved than their equivalent areas in previous Zeldas. For example:

This is Death Mountain in Twilight Princess:
cx9lp64.jpg

It's just a straight climb up the mountain where you sumo some Gorons along the way. You do have to collect light tears and return to Ordon to get the iron boots and rescue the kids in a horseback battle but my god was that shit tedious; and people give SS shit.

This is Eldin Volcano in Skyward Sword:
cXYu9Wu.jpg

0k2KpJN.jpg

It's a huge area that twists around on itself. You run through it solving some puzzles, fighting some enemies, and collecting some keys.

Thank you. The world areas in Skyward Sword were not the problem, I think, except for the Sky area. Each of the land-based "hubs" were really fun to play through, and actually made the overworld interesting and full of content, enemies and puzzles. Gathering the orbs wasn't that great, but figuring out certain aspects of the environment allowed it the overworld to sort of "train" you and I found the dungeons top notch as well. Not to mention the subsequent times you return to the locations and the new areas or in the case of the forest, new "forms" (
sunken forest, timeshift desert, sea of sand, lava place on top of eldin volcano
), was just really, really cool. Certainly one-ups the mostly blank overworld of Twilight Princess. I'd rather they go more in that direction, rather than try and make a huuuge Hyrule empty Hyrule again. It's reminiscent of how the overworld are treated in the 2D games, A Link Between Worlds a recent prime example.

onilink88

Nope, was probabaly the worst Zelda I have played in recent memory and a mediocre video game over all.

Is it possible to have a discussion about TLoZ without hyperbolic crap like this rearing its ugly head? If SS is counted as a "mediocre" game, then I fear for what that says about the industry as a whole.

georly

They actually did up the scope with Skyward Sword. The areas in SS are massive. They are several times bigger and more involved than their equivalent areas in previous Zeldas. For example:

This is Death Mountain in Twilight Princess:
cx9lp64.jpg

It's just a straight climb up the mountain where you sumo some Gorons along the way. You do have to collect light tears and return to Ordon to get the iron boots and rescue the kids in a horseback battle but my god was that shit tedious; and people give SS shit.

This is Eldin Volcano in Skyward Sword:
cXYu9Wu.jpg

0k2KpJN.jpg

It's a huge area that twists around on itself. You run through it solving some puzzles, fighting some enemies, and collecting some keys.

I agree that the areas were fantastic, but I think i'm not the only one that was disappointed that they weren't interconnected. I'd like to have found hidden passages that somehow connected each one, so it felt like a big, unified hyrule, not 3 hub levels. Sure, that doesn't actually affect the game, but, for some reason, when the world feels interconnected, people seem to like it more. Take dark souls, for example. I think the shortcut finding in that game was what really made some people love it.

Zarovitch

He's done so on many occasions. In fact, one of the reasons I love Iwata is the way he readily talks about where they mess up.

I'm not saying he will not admit so fault. But i don't think it's something an insider will know for sure. The speech Iwata will make is not in the hand of everybody at Nintendo. That's what i think.

Edit: About the COD type of game, it could be a good idea that Nintendo try to get one for us cause i don't think we will get the next COD.

Top Bottom