• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2014 Fighting Game Tournament of the Year July 11th - 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Marvel people will just have to pick up the slack that's all. And FGC GAF isn't just Capcom heads so no one should be afraid to post. People who like any other fighters should post what's on their mind.

Omega

Banned
"This is the first time Snake Eyez has placed top 16 at Evo"

He placed 9th last year...

not surprising. someone said he was a new player.

snake eyez has been around for awhile. apparently if you weren't around when john choi was relevant you're a new player

miserable

The World Cup will be over by the time marvel top 8 starts. Not sure about dota. I'm thinking highest concurrent views will be around 190k

I think Marvel views will surpass last year's but USF4's will not.Last year's top 8 was top tier, this year's has no hype.
I mean who wants to see a Fei Long mirror grand finals?

Calling it now

200k will be broken

Also, lee Chung with ultradavid was pretty ducking good. Obv lee was censored a bit but I was very entertained

"You get books" and calling guilds backhand the Andre Agassi was too good

xCobalt

I think Marvel views will surpass last year's but USF4's will not.Last year's top 8 was top tier, this year's has no hype.

You never know man. Today has been full of upsets. I'm sure we'll see some surprises for Sunday. Like who would have thought neither Daigo or infiltration would get past top 32?

Myn

Calling it now

200k will be broken

Also, lee Chung with ultradavid was pretty ducking good. Obv lee was censored a bit but I was very entertained

"You get books" and calling guilds backhand the Andre Agassi was too good

Expect a big viewer drop if Gackt and Fuudo face each other. BO5 Fei Long mirrors...

It may not have the most even if it is hype. Starting so late and having fans of other games drop out when their game is done will definitely play a factor. So even if their are great matches USF4 may end up with the least concurrent viewers if it starts late like it has the past 2 years and we have tons of Marvel and Smash only fans saying "I'm out of here" when their game is done despite fans of other games keeping the stream on until their game starts.

Admittedly SF4 top 8 hasn't been really hype since 2011 so we'll see how much that helps improve the stream numbers if everybody is going nuts during at EVO.

Shouta

Tokido: who did you lose to?
Latiff: Mike Ross
Tokido: MIKE ROSS!?
Lol #Evo2014

https://twitter.com/ShouAhl/status/487804007855820800

Did this really happen? Please tell me Latif didn't get eliminated by Mike Ross.

Yes. I was the one that tweeted it lol. I was sitting with Tokido while he was mming when Latif came up, lol

on stream overlay aren't that useful/informative for viewers. i would rather have live brackets/elimination news at the bottom of the stream overlay instead.

No one's gonna flame you for this, I don't think: The most important factoids/stats during a tournament are who won and who lost. Updated brackets in real time is probably the most important addition this tournament could use. Not photos of someone's handwritten bracket, but real bracket updates in a nice graphic between match.

Only tournies that have those matches lists and brackets on stream are the ones run by slash5150, so NWM and Canada Cup.

Snake Eyes is a cool guy. Talked with him and ultradavid about matches through top 16. Same with the JPs

vulva

Feeling myself after today. I could have done better against RF I think but honestly... making it out in winner's is a huge accomplishment for me. I'm proud of my performance for sure.

I did some quick math and unless I'm wrong my placement means I performed in the top 10% of players at EVO this year... kinda cool right?

pixelish

Day 1 Ultra Overview
-Bad day for Ultra players who are in a character crisis (PR Rog, Daigo, Xian). Almost all of them got exposed.
-Picking top tier/flavour of the month characters do not mean you will go far with them. (No Yun and Viper in top 8)
-Grapplers are finally tournament viable once again (Snake Eyez, Hungbee, KOG, Itabashi made top 32)
-People should stop overlooking non-US/JPN players (Louffy and Gackt in top 8). Pre-EVO, most posters ITT were only discussing either whether it will be an all Japan top 8 or whether there will be at least 1 US player in Top 8.

Unlucky

There was a lot of unreliable information floating around (mostly from Twitter) today, so I made a list of the top 64 and who they lost to (listed after player name). This info comes from official brackets which are now up to date.

Top 8 Winners
Snake Eyez
Fuudo
Gackt
Bonchan

Top 8 Losers
Luffy [Xian]
Momochi [Gamerbee]
Ricky Ortiz [Bonchan]
Sako [Gackt]

9. Pugera [Fuudo, Luffy]
9. Dieminion [Snake Eyez, Momochi]
9. Itabashi Zangief [Chi-Rithy, Ricky Ortiz]
9. GamerBee [Fuudo, Sako]
13. Eita [Haitani, Luffy]
13. Kazunoko [Pugera, Momochi]
13. Filipino Man [KojiKOG, Itabashi Zangief]
13. Taiga [Pugera, Gamerbee]

17. KojiKOG [Sako, Eita]
17. Mago [Gackt, Luffy]
17. Justin Wong [Bonchan, Kazunoko]
17. Filipino Champ [Ricky Ortiz, Momochi]
17. Haitani [Dieminion, Filipinoman]
17. Xian [Snake Eyez, Itabashi Zangief]
17. Mike Ross [Acqua, Taiga]
17. NuckleDu [Filipino Champ, Gamerbee]

25. Infiltration [Veloc1raptor, Eita]
25. Misse [Hugo101, Luffy]
25. Ryan Hart [Chaotix, Kazunoko]
25. HooDaMan [Dogura, Momochi]
25. Yossan [Veloc1raptor, Filipinoman]
25. Hungbee [Mago, Itabashi Zangief]
25. Latif [NGL Brentt, Mike Ross]
25. Ludovic [Filipino Champ, Nuckle Du]

33. Tokido [Snake Eyez, Luffy]
33. Kyabetsu [Snake Eyez, Misse]
33. Insaynne [Flash House, Eita]
33. Veloc1raptor [Dieminion, Infiltration (runback)]
33. Sentosu [Taiga, Kazunoko]
33. Chaotix [Taiga, Ryan Hart]
33. Iansanity [Fuudo, Hoodaman]
33. Heyzeus775 [Gamerbee, Momochi]
33. Marq Teddy [Sako, Yossan]
33. Laugh [Sako, Filipinoman]
33. Thrillhouse [Gackt, Hungbeelieving]
33. Chi-Rithy [Gackt, Itabashi Zangief]
33. Acqua [Bonchan, Latif]
33. Dakou [Justin Wong, Mike Ross]
33. John Choi [Ricky Ortiz, Ludovic]
33. DirtyPaws [Ricky Ortiz, Nuckle Du]

48. BJ Unchained [Haitani, Insaynne]
48. Hsien Chang [Dieminion, Infiltration]
48. Tampa Bison [Kyabetsu, Tokido]
48. Mattypie [Kyabetsu, Misse]
48. Gol Boi Toi [Dakou, Sentosu]
48. Nuki [Kazunoko, Ryan Hart]
48. Jayce The Ace [Gamerbee, Hoodaman]
48. Flash Metroid [Alex Valle, Heyzeus775]
48. Xiao Hai [Dieminion, Yossan]
48. Driftwood [Marq Teddy, Laugh]
48. K-Brad [Chi-Rithy, Thrillhouse]
48. Yeb [UTJ, Itabashi Zangief]
48. Smug [Dakou, Latif]
48. NYChrisG [Dakou, Mike Ross]
48. Daigo [Filipino Champ, John Choi]
48. Buktooth [Dogura, Ranmasama]

Notable players not in top 64:
EG|PR Balrog [Filipinoman, Xiao Hai]
Alioune [Shinba, Insaynne]
Alex Valle [Nuckle Du, Daigo Umehara]
Arturo Sanchez [Kyabetsu, K-Brad]
Sanford Kelly [Mago, Yeb]
PIE Zeus [KS Shogun, Buktooth]

ad_idem

Marvel people will just have to pick up the slack that's all. And FGC GAF isn't just Capcom heads so no one should be afraid to post. People who like any other fighters should post what's on their mind.

While I can't argue that a lot of the times people were commenting on Capcom games (myself included), but when hype was happening, the topic seemed to shift to Smash (Yoshi, Mario hype), Tekken (Anakin, Aris commentary), random showcases (Yatagarasu, Xrd). I don't recall much Injustice talk though (other than someone mentioning 16-bit playing - not sure if it's the same guy that posts on GAF). At least this was the case for the different times I was watching the tournament.

But yeah with the Dota thing and World Cup (which has a big game during tomorrow's UMVC pool games) views could, in theory, be lower. But at least from a personal perspective, I don't recall so many upsets last year, or majority of the streamed pool matches being so close (I recall Xiao Hai vs. Dieminion here being memorable and fitting the mentioned criteria).

And even with the criticisms of the one frame link tips thing, I think it's generally getting better for the viewers. I'm including the one frame links thing here as well (in it being better for the viewers). While certainly a lot of the criticisms are justified (not as specifically relevant to be ideal at times, or the sporadic nature of their frequency etc.) I think the concept itself is pretty neat. Giving more contextual information for the viewers, while also working in tandem with the more general tips (the "Did you know?" overlays) for those that may not have exposure to fighting games in general. An on going process, but I think generally in the right direction.

I realize it's hard to do, but streamlining bracket information (to be readily available to all - I don't see twitter as an elegant solution to this - in a centralized manner), and providing better coverage via the additional streams for high interest matches will go a long way to help. And I'm sure the organizers aren't unaware of this need either.

Dahbomb

Some people didn't expect a single US player to make it into the top 8 bracket but they got two in.

Anything is possible on Sunday. A Fei grand finals is not guaranteed.

You have to BELIEVE!

I wish someone found a way to get the 3 same character glitch in mahvel to work without all the hassle. 3 vergils vs 3 zeros gf

3 Zero would be pretty crap team. Zero + gdlk assist = easy hit = easy loop = easy life.

Zero with Zero assist = hard life.

Some people didn't expect a single US player to make it into the top 8 bracket but they got two in.

You have to BELIEVE!

The only thing going on in my head during the Fuddo, and Gackt matches were *I pray one of these **** lose god I don't want Fei v Fei finals*... neither lost.

ShinMaruku

I am just mystified that people thought NLBC was gonna beat WNF with the issues that the New York scene has. That said this is a great evo. Nobody is safe.

Yes. I was the one that tweeted it lol. I was sitting with Tokido while he was mming when Latif came up, lol

on stream overlay aren't that useful/informative for viewers. i would rather have live brackets/elimination news at the bottom of the stream overlay instead.

Bullshit. This account belongs to someone who plays EXVS Full Boost, so I know it can't be you.

Day 1 Ultra Overview
-Bad day for Ultra players who are in a character crisis (PR Rog, Daigo, Xian). Almost all of them got exposed.
-Picking top tier/flavour of the month characters do not mean you will go far with them. (No Yun and Viper in top 8)
-Grapplers are finally tournament viable once again (Snake Eyez, Hungbee, KOG, Itabashi made top 32)
-People should stop overlooking non-US/JPN players (Louffy and Gackt in top 8). Pre-EVO, most posters ITT were only discussing either whether it will be an all Japan top 8 or whether there will be at least 1 US player in Top 8.

Can I add

- Counter picking didn't work unless you're Sako but not really either (since he's in losers)...

Look at the top 4 winners. All guys who have used the same character over many different versions of SF

What's up with New York scene? People not getting along?

This has been the case for the last decade.... they fight among each other a lot. But the thing is NLBC get a lot more exposure than WNF. Therefor you're average fan is going to assume they are better. Plus they are a lot more entertaining (well the fighting adds to that). The WNF guys are all pretty quiet shut up and play kind of guys. And really none of them travel to out of state majors (except EVO) much.

Can I add

- Counter picking didn't work unless you're Sako but not really either (since he's in losers)...

Look at the top 4 winners. All guys who have used the same character over many different versions of SF.

That probably speaks to the fact that it's a new game., and people whose characters they've played for years that got huge buffs are flourishing. I expect things will evolve as the year progresses.

Also, I was surprised Mike Ross made it so far with HONDA. dear lord, he deserved an honorable mention award for that alone. Hoodaman, too.

Lulubop

Really pulling for Snake eyes, glad he doesn't have to play bonchan first although Fuudo has the match up exp and is probably grinding it out with his boy right not.

Busaiku

You have to BELIEVE!

This isn't BlazBlue.
US has had at least 1 US player in every year since 2011.
Top US players have always been competitive. Certainly not the best, but they were just as likely as anyone else.

ShinMaruku

To elaborate, they are too fractured, it's not easy for players to all come out and play each other. There is no unity, too much pointless drama. When people do casuals people only play their friends, nobody plays with a wide spectrum of players. (Geography plays a hand in this)

East coast is a perfect example of raw talent alone will never make you be the best, you need a mindset and a system to work with that talent. Until those structural issues are dealt with East coast will always contend but never win.

mbpm1

To elaborate, they are too fractured, it's not easy for players to all come out and play each other. There is no unity, too much pointless drama. When people do casuals people only play their friends, nobody plays with a wide spectrum of players. (Geography plays a hand in this)

East coast is a perfect example of raw talent alone will never make you be the best, you need a mindset and a system to work with that talent. Until those structural issues are dealt with East coast will always contend but never win.

Welp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom