• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2014 Fighting Game Tournament of the Year July 11th - 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblur1

Yes. I was the one that tweeted it lol. I was sitting with Tokido while he was mming when Latif came up, lol

on stream overlay aren't that useful/informative for viewers. i would rather have live brackets/elimination news at the bottom of the stream overlay instead.

Seriously. How is it that I'm sitting there in the convention hall with the main event being USF4 and it's through GAF I'm finding out Daigo lost. What the hell?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed, it appears we should have a rematch of the SSB4 Invitational Finals tomorrow between ct zero and ct hungrybox to get into the winners bracket semifinals. That could be fun. I've been rather hungry for some hungrybox revenge for that silly finish.

Manbig

To elaborate, they are too fractured, it's not easy for players to all come out and play each other. There is no unity, too much pointless drama. When people do casuals people only play their friends, nobody plays with a wide spectrum of players. (Geography plays a hand in this)

East coast is a perfect example of raw talent alone will never make you be the best, you need a mindset and a system to work with that talent. Until those structural issues are dealt with East coast will always contend but never win.

I can vouch for this applying to the NYC Tekken scene for sure.

Well... wasn't the empire job to bring everyone together? Oh wait nvm they just took all the best players and excluded everyone else from playing with said best players..... they did that for so long. The entire mvc2, 3S, cvs2, sf4 vanilla, super days.

Wasn't until EG took Justin that other EC players decides to step up like Chris G. Then when Chris G left it was the same void. Now it's team PIE turn to step up. Hopefully they can breed more talent and keep them.

Unlucky

US has had at least one player in top 8 for Street Fighter every year.

2014 (USFIV) 2/8: Snake Eyez, Ricky Ortiz
2013 (SSFIV:AE2012) 1/8: PR Rog
2012 (SSFIV:AE2012) 2/8: PR Rog, Dieminion
2011 (SSFIV:AE) 2/8: Wolfkrone, FlashMetroid
2010 (SSFIV) 5/8: Ricky Ortiz, Mike Ross, Vangief, Henry Cen, Shizza
2009 (SFIV) 5/8: Justin Wong, Ed Ma, Sanford Kelly, ShadyK, Ricky Ortiz
2008 (Third Strike) 5/8: Justin Wong, Amir, Fubarduck, JR, Mike Watson
2007 (Third Strike) 6/8: Alex Valle, Makoto Mike, Fubarduck, Aznhitler, Ricky Ortiz, Ed Ma
2006 (Third Strike) 3/8: Alex Valle, PyroLee, Amir
2005 (Third Strike) 2/8: Justin Wong, Ricky Ortiz
2004 (Third Strike) 3/8: Justin Wong, Hsien Chang, Mike Watson
2003 (Third Strike) 3/8: Ricky Ortiz, Hsien Chang, Mopreme
2002 (SFII Turbo): 7/8 players

ShinMaruku

It's why Japan was so much stronger than US. Just recently there have been events and places for people to play and make use of the great tools we have. I think West coast just has the blue print and the attitude to make it work.

Who knows, this drubbing might wake up the East coast to break out of the cycle. Alternatively it could make it worse.

mbpm1

It's why Japan was so much stronger than US. Just recently there have been events and places for people to play and make use of the great tools we have. I think West coast just has the blue print and the attitude to make it work.

Who knows, this drubbing might wake up the East coast to break out of the cycle. Alternatively it could make it worse.

I doubt it will change much. Can't fight geography. Spooky losing Marvel was a testament to that.

Busaiku

SoCal players probably have to travel a lot further than from Bronx to Brooklyn, and they stay later hours too.
They're just more willing to put up with it.

ShinMaruku

I doubt it will change much. Can't fight geography. Spooky losing Marvel was a testament to that.

It's not geography, it's mindset. If people want to make it work they can West Coast has to travel greater distances, they make the time to play, they work together. They master their egos.

I was in C43 under PezRadar.

Went 2-2 and the game I lost in Winners, I barely lost in. 1 jab from winning.

If I won, I would have fought Gamerbee in Winners Finals. My opponent waited for my selection and counter picked me. Kinda sucked but oh well.

I did knock a Japanese Guile into losers. That felt good. Gamerbee was cheering me on from the side as well as I main Fuerte who is rare. Hehe

ShinMaruku

If I won, I would have fought Gamerbee in Winners Finals. My opponent waited for my selection and counter picked me. Kinda sucked but oh well.

I did knock a Japanese Guile into losers. That felt good. Gamerbee was cheering me on from the side as well as I main Fuerte who is rare. Hehe

Good stuff. Glad you had a good time. On one hand EVO hypes me to want to get out there and play, on the other hand I have 3000 games and 400 wins, I am intimidated.

sleepykyo

SoCal players probably have to travel a lot further than from Bronx to Brooklyn, and they stay later hours too.
They're just more willing to put up with it.

Well SoCal has Valle and NorCal has Choi, while east coast doesn't really have that kind of a mentor anymore.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Shit, you in Vegas? Send me a PM. Got casuals if you're interested.

mbpm1

It's not geography, it's mindset. If people want to make it work they can West Coast has to travel greater distances, they make the time to play, they work together. They master their egos.
I suppose that's true. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Shouta

Hard to type because I'm on my phone lot but recap of my day:

-10am pools for Tekken. Thought I would go 0-2 but I got one win lol. Shirt is nice.
-Abegen introduced me to KojiKOG after our twitter talk.
-Helped out Esuta the Top 8 placer for Sfxt last year.
- Translated for KOG and other JP players.
- 2pm pool for usf4 went 3-2 and only lost to the two that got one. I almost beat the winner of the pool in a hawk vs rose match. But I got a double k.o. and got bopped in the third game. JP fei had a good plan for hawk too.
- hung out with tokido for awhile and saw him beat folks in MMs. Smug 3-2, Zeus 3-2, some chun I didn't know and mega bopped Latif twice I think.
- Sat with jps for matches in stream and talked matches.
- Saw KOG lose to Eita. He cried because he wanted to get further. =(

Astarte

Hard to type because I'm on my phone lot but recap of my day:

-10am pools for Tekken. Thought I would go 0-2 but I got one win lol. Shirt is nice.
-Abegen introduced me to KojiKOG after our twitter talk.
-Helped out Esuta the Top 8 placer for Sfxt last year.
- Translated for KOG and other JP players.
- 2pm pool for usf4 went 3-2 and only lost to the two that got one. I almost beat the winner of the pool in a hawk vs rose match. But I got a double k.o. and got bopped in the third game. JP fei had a good plan for hawk too.
- hung out with tokido for awhile and saw him beat folks in MMs. Smug 3-2, Zeus 3-2, some chun I didn't know and mega bopped Latif twice I think.
- Sat with jps for matches in stream and talked matches.
- Saw KOG lose to Eita. He cried because he wanted to get further. =(

Awwwh. :<

RonanN1

Banned
Encoding Tekken Tag 2 Top 8 ^_^ | uploading later today

I have ALL the Tekken Matches :) If someone is interested in a particular match send me a PM and I will upload it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Seems like a lot more GAF peeps made it out this year than previous years, or my memory fails me. Either way I hope everyone's enjoying themselves.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jeez, Choi messed up quite a few things and still managed to pull that off. Pretty insane.

I respect the gaffers who made it out to evo. One day I will find the time to go there. But right now I can only watch.

Same here. I actually went to Vegas last year but it was a few weeks later, I definitely want to head down one of these times.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm gonna be back over there on Sunday. Gambling the rest of the time I'm here. Staying at Bellagio.

Vulva who posts on the USF4 thread on GAF won his pool.
Yeah I was with Vulva for a bit before I had to go somewhere else. I noticed that farms was playing in my friend's pool, but I was busy so I couldnt say hi.

Manbig

Part of the reason I don't go to locals in NYC. Partly because I suck and partly I can't just be content with a sub par scene.

Well LOC was getting consistent with running some great sessions where everyone was welcome, but I pretty much dropped trying to get competitive at Tekken, so I just sat back and watched the scene from a distance. I don't know if he's still running sessions these days. Bloodhawk occasionally has a few people over and streams it, but NYC get togethers are far from consistent. GM has a small crew that he plays with, but he has alienated himself from a lot of other players due to... disagreements, and NYC Fab is apparently about to become SoCal Fab.

So the future does not look very bright for this scene.

Astarte

Q is around. Not sure about how hr did as I was busy myself. He'll post when he can.

He loves the crowd reaction and feeds off it. You guys can't see it on stream but he popped off every time he won even just rounds. lol

Waiting for Q's reactions and photo montages!

Also that's really cool! Dude takes fighting games pretty deep. There's always next year! :y

May sound strange, but why where there no KOF eleimations and rounds? There is only a final on the stream schedule.

DId they do the KOF matches off camera or were tehy done bbefore hand? Sorry to ask such a noob question probably btw.

May sound strange, but why where there no KOF eleimations and rounds? There is only a final on the stream schedule.

DId they do the KOF matches off camera or were tehy done bbefore hand? Sorry to ask such a noob question probably btw.

All matches before top 8 are going to be done all off stream unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom