• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

How did these rebels get so well armed? They're taking down jets and airliners. That's insane and infuriating.

From the Russian government... which was well known even before today. Just today the US announced new sanctions because of the flow of weaponry from Russia

Why do so many seem on edge here? WW3 nor anything like that is about to happen.

Anyway, my thoughts go out to the families of those on board.

All airlines will avoid flying over this part of the world now for sure, no company will risk the hit to its public perception of safety.

elty

Does the Ukrainian military have the capability to shoot down a passenger aircraft? The plane had to be at full altitude when it happened (35k feet, give or take). From everything I read when the violence between Ukraine and Russia broke out, their military is aging and severely handicapped/underfunded. I thought it took fairly sophisticated anti-aircraft weaponry to actually hit a plane that high, else every plane in Afghanistan would be shot down.

Of course they do. They are still using Soviet SAMs and those are very capable.

Even SAM system from the 60s can shoot down an airline, which has no defense of any kind. If the rebel did this, chances are they captured the SAM from Ukraine military.

zma1013

That's my question. Surely technology sophisticated enough to target a plane 30,000 feet (and up to 72,000 feet) in the sky would be sophisticated enough to distinguish between commercial and military vehicles.

I dunno, I don't think the 2 are mutually exclusive. I doubt they target something and a little red light comes on that says "Civilian Airliner Targeted."

Tex117

Banned
This will politically get worse before it gets better. These things usually don't happen due to an "accident."

Thoughts and prayers for the families of the passengers. What a loss.

LNBL

530bf4e8900b8470383c26abcd148d4b.png

Dutch passenger posted this picture on FB 7 hours ago with the text

"If it goes missing, this is how it looks like."

On board was also his wife/girlfriend :(

What are the fucking chances of this happening after him posting this.:(

welp.

That's if the remains if the plane haven't been looted.

:(

I dunno, I don't think the 2 are mutually exclusive. I doubt they target something and a little red light comes on that says "Civilian Airliner Targeted."

The question isn't one of intent; it's one of what the limits of the technology are. Why would a targeting system like this not have at least some sort of method to differentiate between commercial and military vehicles? If it does, did they know how to use it?

fertygo

What the fuck, one of News TV in indonesia already manage to contact allegedly family victim and interviewing them on the phone.. fuck these guy man....

Kiraly

The reactions of friends and family on that facebook picture of the Dutch man boarding the plane are sickening, they are slowly realizing it is the same plane.

Dude, you obviously cant see that from 30k feet below.... Theyre just a dot in the radar screen... :(

A 777 is much, much faster then a propellor driven An-26.

But it could well be the same as the Vincennes shooting down the Iranian Airbus where someone switched distance with altitude that made it seem the plane was in a dive.

Jeff-DSA

It's still possible that the Ukrainian military might have shot it down thinking that it was a troop or supply transport, right? That would be tragic.

1405610146-ef41d7464b30da37118c8bf6c86d11e6.png

What is this guy saying?
edit:

17.07.2014 17:50 Message from [I forget how to translate this word... it's military related, I believe it's from higher ranking people]

"Just shot down an AN-26 plane on Toreza area, crashed around the the Progress mine.

We warned them about flying in "our sky".

And here's a video confirming another "plane falling". [He says something along the lines of "birdfall" but I figure this would be clearer]

The bird fell past the territory, living sector was not hit.

Civilians Peaceful people were not hurt.

And there's also information about a second plane being shot down, looks to be a SU."

Supposedly (according to twitter) the translation isn't an admission of guilt but a statement of what happened. The english translation is saying something that's not in the Russian (again according to twitter I don't know russian).

Knoxcore

It really isn´t. This morning AP jounalists in this very Region saw BUK Missile launchers and were wondering, where the rebels got such sophisticated weaponry. Then the rebel commander boast of a takedown of an Ukrainian Military Transport plane, and links to a YouTube Video showing the downed MH flight.

Very straight forward.

I agree, the evidence is damning to support the possibility MH17 was shot down, but we need definitive confirmation.

Uzzy

It's still possible that the Ukrainian military might have shot it down thinking that it was a troop or supply transport, right? That would be tragic.

The rebels don't have planes. So the Ukrainians would have to be insanely incompetent to even fire an anti-air missile.

Prez

On board was also his wife/girlfriend :(

What are the fucking chances of this happening after him posting this.:(

I'm guessing you'd find a Facebook post like that for most Malaysian Airlines flights since the missing plane.

fuzzyset

Of course they do. They are still using Soviet SAMs and those are very capable.

Even SAM system from the 60s can shoot down an airline, which has no defense of any kind. If the rebel did this, chances are they captured the SAM from Ukraine military.

Exactly, I said 70s on the last page but you're correct. The control and command needed to take down an airline is pretty rudimentary, tbh. First gen thermal targeting will easily lock on to those gigantic GE engines .

MrCat

Banned
This is a false flag attack to get popular support for NATO to do the bidding of the western energy interests. New tougher sanctions the day before this is not a coincidence, but a chance to corner Russia. To bad for the west, China won't play ball despite of this false flag... and Europe will be left without Russian gas very shortly if they try anything.

It disgusts me that someone has it for the poor Malaysian people.

Sober

Doubtful. I agree with the other gaffer, if it was the military, they have rules of engagement and wouldn't go trigger happy just because they saw a plane in the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom