• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Must be close to 2:1 over Xbone, and the gap is only going to widen over time. Amazing that some people think that the Xbone is doing well.

lynux3

iCHPsBlrPWnqA.gif

Perfect.

sphinx

the piano man
the only thing that is puzzling is why aren't we seeing announcements left and right from the major software players??

the market has shown they want this. PS4 is selling like this without major, exclusive software, particularly from Japan.

why are shelves still dry and annoucements so scarce??

this should be replicating ps2 levels of software excitement yet it's nowhere near there.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the only thing that is puzzling is why aren't we seeing announcements left and right from the major software players??

the market has shown they want this. PS4 is selling like this without major, exclusive software, particularly from Japan.

this should be replicating ps2 levels of software excitement yet it's nowhere near there.

Cost of development has spiralled massively since PS2.

Mooreberg

Impressive how quickly it got there. Things get very interesting starting next month. And there are now more than enough games coming out early next year to keep the train running.

Nikodemos

Sooo... next big announcement to be redesigned PS4? With 8 memory chips instead of the current 16? Around November-ish? Z0mg? Aqua?

Sean*O

Not in the U.K., Canada and U.S., it's still close in those territories.

PS4's huge lead comes from continental Europe.

I disagree with your standard for "close" it has been getting beaten badly in those areas too, has it won a single month in sales?

I think it's also passed the point of ever being a "gotta have it" item in the mass market, too much momentum on the PS4 side.

I guess we'll see.

Trey

There will not be another PS2. With the amount of similarities between the current market consoles, it makes sense for most devs to release on multiple platforms.

And the PS4 isn't doing that great in Japan - Japanese development itself is in a rough spot.

Duxxy3

I disagree with your standard for "close" it has been getting beaten badly in those areas too, has it won a single month in sales?

I think it's also passed the point of ever being a "gotta have it" item in the mass market, too much momentum on the PS4 side.

I guess we'll see.

Yes on the first question.

Last number I saw was a 600k gap for the states. For the size of the market, that isn't much of a gap.

Won't argue about momentum, PS4 certainly has it.

We also got that combined shipments of Xbox One and 360 were 1.1 million from April to June 30th. So potentially they were at around 6 million shipped (assuming almost no 360 sales) a month and a half ago.

Basically, it's not quite 2:1 worldwide yet, but probably gonna be before the year is over. Edit: or something like that.
Shipped vs sold through. It's extremely likely actual sales are over 2:1 at this point.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Microsoft is launching the XB1 in China and over a dozen new key markets soon. The 2:1 ratio will vanish relatively quickly.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft is launching the XB1 in China and over a dozen new key markets soon. The 2:1 ratio will vanish relatively quickly.

Most of those countries would barely make any difference, neither would China.

EdgeXL

Because we will never again see something like the PS2 era ever again?

There are way too many options for gaming now and PC is doing much stronger now than it was back then.

nynt9

What makes you think that, given that the PS4 is outselling the XB1 on pretty much every market, and that some of the strongest markets of MS are already more or less dominated by the PS4, these new small markets (except China, where neither console will succeed) will make a difference?

Shipped vs sold through. It's extremely likely actual sales are over 2:1 at this point.

Is it though? That would mean there's a million or something Xboxes sitting on shelves. I don't know if that's realistic. As in, I really just don't know, maybe it is, but it sounds like a lot to me.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Vanish, no.

Diminish somewhat, yeah (not because of china though).

holding a 2:1 advantage after one year is doable. maybe even after 18 months. But to do so over the course of the entire generation when the other console is building the kind of momentum the XB1 has these past few months? It's not sustainable.

Skilletor

holding a 2:1 advantage after one year is doable. maybe even after 18 months. But to do so over the course of the entire generation when the other console is building the kind of momentum the XB1 has these past few months? It's not sustainable.

I'd say the kind of momentum they're building would imply exactly the opposite of what you suggest, actually.

Dude, the console race is over. Just look at the numbers and the territories. The lead is virtually insurmountable unless Xbox does things the brand has never done before in regions where the brand has never been that popular.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Dude, the console race is over. Just look at the numbers and the territories. The lead is virtually insurmountable unless Xbox does things the brand has never done before in regions where the brand has never been that popular.

when did I say the was not insurmountable? I'm saying the 2:1 advantage isn't insurmountable.

That means if XB1 gets to 40 million, then Sony *has* to be at 80 million. It's far from crazy to think such a ratio won't hold. Maybe I will be wrong but don't act like it's ludicrous to say so.

Gator86

Haha this is so sad. The console warz are definitely over sales-wise. I don't know how anyone could delude themselves into thinking the Xbone will catch up considering it only exists in 2 countries for the most part.

when did I say the was not insurmountable? I'm saying the 2:1 advantage isn't insurmountable.

That means if XB1 gets to 40 million, then Sony *has* to be at 80 million. It's far from crazy to think such a ratio won't hold. Maybe I will be wrong but don't act like it's ludicrous to say so.

I could see how that could happen though. If XB1 is mainly strong in NA which is good for about 40mil and the PS4 does alright everywhere else.

Congratulations to everyone at SCEI and SCE Worldwide Studios.

Wii Shipments:

1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2006 - 3.19 million
4 months, 13 days - March 31st, 2007 - 5.84 million
7 months, 12 days - June 30th, 2007 - 9.27 million
10 months, 12 days - September 30th, 2007 - 13.17 million

1 year, 1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2007 - 20.13 million

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million