• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

Blanquito

Long live Amazon rankings: always misleading, yet always quoted on.

Actually, so far the monthly rankings on Amazon have accurately shown which console will sell more per NPD data. It, however, doesn't have an accurate prediction of the sales numbers.

Edit: beaten.

Lemondish

They have yet to be wrong as far as console sales go. Xbox One won December by only like 60k and even Amazon reflected that.

Exactly. Who won is always reflected accurately by Amazon's rankings, but don't expect them to provide any details as to by how much.

They've worked brilliantly for us since both devices launched so I see no reason to discount them when discussing potential sales performance between competitors.

ethomaz

Banned
Exactly. Who won is always reflected accurately by Amazon's rankings, but don't expect them to provide any details as to by how much.

They've worked brilliantly for us since both devices launched so I see no reason to discount them when discussing potential sales performance between competitors.
People needs to understand too how Amazon works with different SKUs.

For example (not what Amazon shows... just hypothetical).

#9 Xbone
#10 PS4
#11 PS4 Destiny Bundle

Is perfectly possible (and reasonable) that PS4 sold more than Xbone in that period... and NPD will show PS4 > Xbone.

It is easy when you have a unique SKU (PS4 had until Destiny Bundle).

About Destiny you have 3x PS4 SKUs tracking close/on pair with 1x Xbone SKU... unless the difference from #13 to #14 is twice the units the PS4 version is outselling the Xbone by a good margin, maybe even 2:1.

Another example (hypothetical numbers):

#13 Destiny Xbone = 1000 units
#14 Destiny PS4 bundle = 900 units
#15 Destiny PS4 LE = 800 units
#16 Destiny PS4 = 700 units
#22 Destiny Xbone LE = 400 units

PS4: 2400 units
Xbone: 1400 units

;)

Tratorn

I'm already looking forward to september NPD. I think this will be the start of the 4 months period (Sep-Dec) where we finally can have a brief look at how the future will look like for the new consoles.

I was thinking $399
Nah that's too high. I think they'll try for $200/$250 max, and it'll come out around the time of a PS4 price drop to $299 next holiday season. That'd make for a great price picking them both up at the same time.

At least that's what I'm personally hoping (since that's my plan ;)

heidern

WOW!!!

ioi said:
Banned Chartz Site Pro - Market Intelligence for the Videogame Industry
**ch***z Pro is the video game industry's leading information service, bringing industry-level retail market intelligence to clients with a suite of powerful tools.

Founded in 2005, **ch***z Ltd (Video Game Charts) is a
business intelligence and research firm and publisher of the
popular ********.com consumer website which draws in
over 1.5 million unique visitors per month.

Leveraging a proprietary database of over 5 million unique
data points for more than 8,000 physical video game
products, chartz Pro provides in-depth tools for industry
professionals to examine the success of past, present and
future video game titles built on the ground-breaking
consumer-focused research that has been developed
in-house over the last 7 years.

Having the correct information is a huge advantage in
today’s industry and **ch***z Pro offers a cost-effective
and scalable solution for all sizes of business to ensure that
decisions can be made in a contextual and objective way.

Code:
		[B]Professional		Business		Enterprise[/B]
Licences		1		5			25
Regions		Global, USA, Europe	All Regions		All Regions
Weekly		500 results		Unlimited		Unlimited
Monthly		500 results		Unlimited		Unlimited
Yearly		500 results		Unlimited		Unlimited
Max number of	100			1000			Unlimited
reports per day

[B]Annual Fee	$4,000			$12,000			$20,000
Monthly Fee	$500			$1,500			N/A
[/B]

It's good that he says on the site that it is estimates, but obviously he doesn't give a clear account of his margin of error which is highly variable, nor transparency over the source of his data(which some might say involve ethically dubious collection methods). And yeah, wow again, I didn't realise he switched to being a fully fledged competitor to NPD, GFK etc.

dolemite

WOW!!!

It's good that he says on the site that it is estimates, but obviously he doesn't give a clear account of his margin of error which is highly variable, nor transparency over the source of his data(which some might say involve ethically dubious collection methods). And yeah, wow again, I didn't realise he switched to being a fully fledged competitor to NPD, GFK etc.

Whaaaa... The site outright grabs Japanese weekly sales numbers released by MC et al. and then presents these as their own.

jakncoke

Banned
WOW!!!

I wonder how many people actually pay for those :/

Steroyd

Well I'm just throwing out the idea. Pretty much all XBO owners will be Halo/Bungie fans whereas on PS4 it'll be less, sure there will be more with the amount that 'switched sides' but it's a potential factor.

I believe some games sold better on one format other the other last gen and that could be put down to 'brand history', like GTA IV:

It could be a factor indeed, but that usually applies to the IP's themselves not the devs behind it, and your take on Bungie fans being XBO owners is probably the main reason they're primarily advertising on PlayStation, to branch out appeal outside their known base, and Sony would only be more than happy to sniff up the butt of a highly regarded ex-Xbox exclusive dev and accentuating the point.

onQ123

Has this been posted yet?

Nielsen: One-Third of PlayStation 4 Owners Switched From Xbox or Wii

With 10 million units sold since November, the PlayStation 4 is currently winning the latest console war. But as Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida recently told Eurogamer, even Sony doesn’t really know why.

Here’s one possible answer: Gamers just aren’t as brand-loyal as the fanboys online would have you believe.

According to data provided to Re/code, an April Nielsen study found that 31 percent of PS4 owners did not own Sony’s previous console, the PlayStation 3, but did own an Xbox 360 or Wii. Seventeen percent did not own any last-generation console.

The people surveyed were Americans, age 7 to 54, and were a subset of a total of 1,200 “active gamers” surveyed by Nielsen between February and April.

However, there’s one big caveat to the survey, which is that it asked only what consumers currently owned at the time of the survey, not what they had owned in the past. So, people who sold their PlayStation 3 in order to buy a PlayStation 4 would’ve been marked down as non-PS3 owners.

Assuming that most people didn’t do that, though, the numbers underscore why launching at a $100 lower price point than the rival Xbox One was so beneficial for Sony.

At launch, the biggest titles for the $499 Xbox One and the $399 PlayStation 4, according to the NPD Group’s retail charts, were all cross-platform. That is to say, people in November and December were buying games like Activision’s Call of Duty: Ghosts, Ubisoft’s Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag, EA’s Battlefield 4 and Take-Two’s NBA 2K14.

All those games were available on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and since neither new console was backwards-compatible with its predecessor, that meant if you wanted to play Call of Duty with your friends, they would have to buy the same console as you.

And if you have to buy a new console, why not buy the cheaper one? The Xbox One didn’t have a “big” exclusive title to justify the Kinect and its higher price point at launch (that pricing decision has since been reversed). While the PS4 didn’t have any top-selling exclusives at launch either, players elected to go with the cheaper option to play the same big games, because duh.

I wonder why is Destiny selling better on the Xbone.

It has only been outselling it over the past two months. Before then the preorders were at least 10 spots behind.

Its pretty fair to assume that PS4 version has come closer to the amount of people who will preorder on amazon faster. Its still a good 5 places ahead overall for the year.

Top Bottom